Author Topic: Mummy Head, Europe's Oldest-Known Preserved Human Dissection, To Go On Display  (Read 479 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I thought this was pretty neat and didn't know exactly where to post it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/06/mummy-head-europe-oldest-human-dissection_n_2814030.html

Some of the images may be a little tough for some, but it's nothing you haven't seen in documentaries on the history channel.

"Galen's texts wouldn't be challenged for anatomical supremacy until the Renaissance, when human dissections — often in public — surged in popularity. But doctors in medieval Europe weren't as idle as it may seem, as a new analysis of the oldest-known preserved human dissection in Europe reveals.

The preparation of the specimen was surprisingly advanced. Radiocarbon dating puts the age of the body between A.D. 1200 and A.D.1280, an era once considered part of Europe's anti-scientific "Dark Ages." In fact, said study researcher Philippe Charlier, a physician and forensic scientist at University Hospital R. Poincare in France, the new specimen suggests surprising anatomical expertise during this time period."

I find this stuff absolutely fascinating, and I think it's awesome that we get a window such as this into the past. How do people feel about things like this going on display? I know there is that bodies exhibit, and that is very controversial to many. While many of those people were Chinese prisoners, some of the bodies on display were volunteered by the people when they were still alive. If someone wanted to take a relative that just died and put them on display, the family would most likely be in up in arms in protest. Is there some sort of disconnect from someone being a human being just because they lived a long time ago?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:03:50 AM by Chino »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Wong forum.  There is already an Iron Maiden thread in GMD.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Wong forum.  There is already an Iron Maiden thread in GMD.

:lol Stupid me.