Poll

When did you first listen to Dream Theater?

'86 - '88 (Majesty days)
0 (0%)
'89 - '91 (WDADU)
5 (2.5%)
'92 - '93 (IaW)
13 (6.5%)
'94         (Awake)
6 (3%)
'95 - '96 (ACOS)
4 (2%)
'97 - '98 (FII)
10 (5%)
'99 - '01 (SFAM)
12 (6%)
'02         (SDOIT)
17 (8.5%)
'03 - '04 (ToT)
39 (19.6%)
'05 - '06 (OVM)
35 (17.6%)
'07 - '08 (SC)
47 (23.6%)
'09 -       (BC&SL)
11 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Author Topic: When did you first listen to Dream Theater?  (Read 16348 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: When did you first listen to Dream Theater?
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2010, 06:37:46 PM »
I don't recall the FIRST time I heard DT, but according to my Amazon.com orders, I started ordering their albums in early 2004, so I picked 2003-2004, after TOT came out.

Actually, I may have bought TOT in a brick-n-mortar store not long after it's release, thus prompting me to purchase their earlier/previous albums. That album got a LOT of play in my CD players because it's my most scratched up album! I had to buy another copy of it (which unfortunately wasn't an original pressing - it's a foreign one with a thin-paper booklet and not the rough paper used on the one I bought first, and the CD is printed glossy on the top, not flat like the original).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »
Listened to LSFNY back in 2000 or 2001 - grabbed scenes studio after that and I was hooked. Scenes to this day is my favorite album by any band ever.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2010, 09:31:39 AM »

Actually, I may have bought TOT in a brick-n-mortar store not long after it's release.

That's weird you got it at a brick-n-mortar store.  I looked at Home Depot and Lowes when Black Clouds came out to no avail...

But anyway - a friend played Awake for me back in 95/96.  The beginning of 6:00 is such an amazing way to begin one's DT experience.  Said friend also had WDADU and ACOS, but it was me, dutifully pursuing their past catalog, who first purchased I&W.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2010, 10:23:10 AM »
When Systematic Chaos got out. The first song I heard was TDEN... And I didn't like it. Then I heard Pull Me Under, Surrounded and Panic Attack... And fell in love with them  ;D

Saludos!

Offline The Noob

• The DTF Noob, but NOT a DT Noob
  • The Comfy Chair?
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2010, 11:39:40 AM »
2006. I first listened to the entire 8VM album and loved it. I then listened to I&W and and then Awake had me hooked for good.
Yeah, well I wish Windows 7 would suck my dick and give me a dinosaur, but that's not going to happen either.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2010, 06:02:16 PM »

Actually, I may have bought TOT in a brick-n-mortar store not long after it's release.

That's weird you got it at a brick-n-mortar store.  I looked at Home Depot and Lowes when Black Clouds came out to no avail...
:lol

Offline Mitch555

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2010, 06:53:06 PM »
I discovered them in 2007 but with Images and Words. The first DT song I ever heard was Metropolis Part 1. Needless to say, my music-listening life was changed forever that day.  :metal

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
A friend of mine didn't have anyone to attend a Dream Theater + Symphony X concert with... that was the CiM tour, I listened almost exclusively to DT for more than a year after that. So, chalk me up in the SC lot too.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
I heard my first DT song in August of 2005, so around the release of Octavarium.  My first song was This Dying Soul and ToT was my first album though, and I didn't hear 8vm until December or so.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2010, 05:17:34 AM »
2008 when my Non-DT fan friend made me hear their song. He isn't still a fan, and he only has Constant Motion, Glass Prison, Metropolis, Dance of Eternity and Overture 1928 in his library(Sucks to him). I started gathering their material starting early 2009. Can't still forget the moment when I first listened to I&W, Awake, and SFAM. SDOIT was nice too, but didn't strike me as much as the ones mentioned earlier.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline silver_linings

« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2010, 05:24:24 AM »
in FII era. lines in the sand the first song I listen to. but that made me decide to become fans DT, when I listened IaW album

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2010, 07:33:03 AM »
I first listened to DT in late 2006/early 2007.

Panic Attack was the first song I heard and ToT and 8vm were my first albums
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2010, 07:37:06 AM »
When Systematic Chaos got out.
How? They never promote these kind of bands.

Online Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
How are you asking "how?" People just get into bands at certain times. I got into them my freshman year of high school when Train Of Thought came out.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2010, 01:31:17 PM »
I&W. Pull Me Under. Watched it on Headbangers Ball and was blown away. Listened to it on KILO 94 (Colorado Springs) and had a chance to see them at Rack n Roll but passed on it. KILO 94 morning radio DJs stated it was one of the best concerts in '92 and that it was awesome to see KM get pissed at the sound guy and push over his keyboard. Guess it really charged the audience.

But I didn't buy any of their albums until ACOS was released and then cracked out hard to DT for a solid year. First concert was FII with my brother and great group of beautiful girls from Hungary who loved DT.  :metal

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »
How are you asking "how?" People just get into bands at certain times. I got into them my freshman year of high school when Train Of Thought came out.
I'm asking, the internet, a friend, you went to Tower Records and saw that cool album cover... how? It's not really common on how you got into DT. If it weren't for a friend lending me SFAM...

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2010, 10:36:08 AM »
For the how question, I still wasn't really into DT with SFAM, but when SC came out I was in a CD Store and saw it. I didn't really like DT but I had enough change to buy it, so what the fuck!

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Slain

« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2010, 08:18:51 PM »
One of the history teachers at my school saw me wearing a DT shirt, and went on to tell me how they're his favorite band, and how he actually got a demo of WDADU back when they went to Berklee, and has been a fan ever since.

I wish I would've known about them earlier, but I started liking them in 07-08 SC era.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.