Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 161960 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »
It's not filler. The stuff between Rosiland/Adama and Tigh/Adama is important. And even though it doesn't more the plot forward, it's a cool little stand-alone episode that might inspire a new viewer who's late to the party to check more of the series. I think that counts for something.

And, for what it's worth, I think the first half of the miniseries is by far the worst part of the show. Everything since then has been at least interesting compared to it.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #316 on: March 19, 2011, 09:42:30 PM »
I guess it's tomato/tomatoe.  These episodes pop up more and more frequently; SciFi put the screws to Moore in order to be more episodic to bring in more viewers, so it's not like it was purely a creative shift.

As for ranking the worst episodes of the show up until the point you're at, I would go:

Litmus
Black Market
Six Degrees of Separation
Sacrifice
Hero
A Measure of Salvation
Final Cut

Something along those lines.  The only ones I would rank as truly bad are the top two, all of the rest had parts or some that salvaged it somewhat.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: March 19, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »
Yeah, I didn't really like Litmus much. I think it was the first time I felt, while watching the show, that something had gone wrong.

Also, anything involving the number 6 that comes to the fleet annoys me. That, actually, is the one plot arc that I just wish never happened. Her coming aboard, caring about her movement more than Gaius, actually getting an atomic bomb from him, and then blowing up that ship with it is all just extremely unlikely, and I'm forced to question the motives of the writers around every corner. The fact that it was used as an excuse for the Cylons to come to New Caprica was a minor annoyance for me.

But that's just life, I guess. I still can't think of a Sci-Fi show that's more consistent and that doesn't have these problems.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: March 19, 2011, 10:20:29 PM »
And, Ring Dance was a little bit weird and I felt like a lot of people were portrayed strangely in it. But it was cool where they went with it.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #319 on: March 19, 2011, 10:21:48 PM »
I assume you're talking about "Unfinished Business", which is one of the show's best episodes imo.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: March 19, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't paying attention to the titles. But yes, it's Unfinished Business. Probably the best stand-alone so far I'd say.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #321 on: March 20, 2011, 03:25:33 AM »
Yeah that episode is great, but I also really liked Hero. In fact, I can't really think of any episodes that I especially disliked - with a show like BSG, for me it's all about the whole rather than being pinickity about individual episodes.

And GP, it's not "bad writing", it's writing that you happen not to like.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: March 20, 2011, 03:30:26 AM »
Same here, Ariich. It's hard for me to pick out things I don't like, because with every episode I'm increasingly captivated. Anyway, "The Passage" is next.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #323 on: March 20, 2011, 03:34:10 AM »
Yeah, just a different approach to watching TV shows I guess.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: March 20, 2011, 07:49:28 PM »
"The Passage" was OK. Definitely my least favorite episode of the season so far, but still not what I'd consider bad.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #325 on: March 24, 2011, 08:12:35 AM »
GuineaPig's official guide to introducing a friend to BSG:

Watch miniseries.
Watch season 1.  Skip "Litmus" and "Six Degrees of Separation."
Watch season 2.  Skip "Final Cut", "Black Market" and "Sacrifice."
Watch first five episodes of season 3.  Skip "Torn", "A Measure of Salvation", and "Hero."  Watch "Unfinished Business", and explain to your friend that it's titled ironically because it is actually the series finale.

Offline Summers

« Reply #326 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:18 AM »
Really wanted to enjoy BSG but the whole religous thing got too much for me.  The show started off great when that stuff was treated carefully, then they went the whole hog and had all these miracles and stuff happening... bleh... 

Miniseries and first couple of seasons were brilliant, when it was more focused on being a military drama.  Apollo as Galactica CAG FTW!
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »
Today, watched quite a bit.

The Eye of Jupiter
Rapture
Taking a Break From All Your Worries
The Woman King
A Day in the Life
Dirty Hands

The first couple were, in my opinion, very good episodes that are just as strong as many of the season's best. The last three were, of course, stand-alone types. The Woman King was not horrible, and if that's the worst the show has to offer I'm lucky. A Day in the Life was also OK. And Dirty Hands was good, aside from one extremely retarded section SPOILERS when Adama actually threatened to have Cally shot /SPOILERS I just thought that was sooo out of character for Adama, especially given what we had just seen those two characters go through in the last episode. Ew. Just bad planning I think. Aside from that 15 second scene where Adama is way out of character, the episode is fine. Actually, I liked how they showed Galactica's working class. We only ever see the elites. Just today, I was watching a program about astronauts doing repairs on the Hubble telescope and I found myself wondering while I was watching it why you never see anyone doing any hard labor on the Galactica.

Anyway, nearing the season 3 finale now. Can't wait.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »
"Dirty Hands" could've been great.  As it is, it was only above average.  The writers I felt had a hard time integrating other stories about the fleet into the main cast of characters.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »
...aside from one extremely retarded section SPOILERS when Adama actually threatened to have Cally shot /SPOILERS I just thought that was sooo out of character for Adama, especially given what we had just seen those two characters go through in the last episode. Ew. Just bad planning I think.

Keep watching the show and say that again as it draws to a close.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
Yeah. There have been parts where I was iffy on episodes, but Adama's "threat" was the first time I actually felt myself angry at the writers  ;D

I am so pumped for Baltar's trial.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »
...aside from one extremely retarded section SPOILERS when Adama actually threatened to have Cally shot /SPOILERS I just thought that was sooo out of character for Adama, especially given what we had just seen those two characters go through in the last episode. Ew. Just bad planning I think.

Can you expand on what you mean here?  'Cause I literally don't know what to make of this comment.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #332 on: March 26, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »

Can you expand on what you mean here?  'Cause I literally don't know what to make of this comment.

SPOILERS.  DON'T LOOK PERPETUAL CHANGE, DON'T DO IT!!!

When the mutiny happened, I think part of Adama was willing to execute everyone involved.  I don't remember anything in the show enraging him more deeply.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #333 on: March 26, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »
No spoilers here

Yeah, I thought all that was terribly out of character.  The series showed repeatedly through the first 3 seasons that Adama valued the lives of his crew really highly, often going to dumb lengths to save individuals.  It was part of what made Cain such an effective foil for him (I for one think that Cain would've been completely correct to execute Tyrol and Helo); that his empathy could occasionally be a flaw as an authority figure because his emotions would overwhelm his ability to make rational or necessary decisions.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »
Thanks for the warnings guys. I didn't look. Do let me know when it's safe to do so, though.

Anyway, just finished Maelstorm. Wow, just wow. Probably the most emotional episode of the entire show so far. Adama's character, at the end, was played perfectly. Man. I think there's a tear in my eye.  :(

Found this fascinating:

The end scene where Adama smashes up his model sailing ship was improvised by Edward James Olmos and was not part of the original script. Olmos was unaware that the model was not a prop. According to Ron Moore, it was a very expensive museum-quality model that was being rented for the production. It was insured, according to Moore.

That, in my opinion, is great acting.

The episode after it, where we're introduced to Lampkin, was also very good.

Though, oddly, I'm enjoying the stand-alone episodes moreso than the ones where the story really moves along. I guess that's just me not wanting things to end.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:04:26 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2011, 12:18:12 AM »
Mark Sheppard as Romo Lampkin was my favorite guess star.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #336 on: March 27, 2011, 03:54:47 AM »
Have to say, I've never really bothered to make the distinction between standalone episodes and those which specifically further the story. Standalone ones still enhance the context, the background and the characters, so I don't see why they'd ever be written off.

I also don't really get the complaint about Adama being "out of character". Firstly, his character changes over the course of the 4 seasons, and secondly, people act out of character all the time in real life, and under considerably less emotionally straining circumstances than those undergone by the Galactica crew.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: March 27, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »
Have to say, I've never really bothered to make the distinction between standalone episodes and those which specifically further the story. Standalone ones still enhance the context, the background and the characters, so I don't see why they'd ever be written off.

I also don't really get the complaint about Adama being "out of character". Firstly, his character changes over the course of the 4 seasons, and secondly, people act out of character all the time in real life, and under considerably less emotionally straining circumstances than those undergone by the Galactica crew.

I think he went just a bit too far. Especially considering, in the first season, he doesn't even want to police people. Now he wants executions. Also, it really didn't work well with the theme of him "going soft," which has been at work for the entire seasons really.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #338 on: March 27, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »

I think the issue with the standalone episodes is that usually the Battlestar formula rests on a mix of action, plot, and character.  The writing can is uneven throughout, and when the emphasis is put on the latter element this can easily result in a bad (or merely forgettable) episode if the writing isn't up to snuff.  I don't think the issues with "Black Market" or "The Woman King" is that they're stand-alone episodes; I think the issue is that they have bad writing, often with characters retconned or acting out of character.  What?  Lee's banging a stripper over the loss of some other girlfriend in the past that's never mentioned again?  What?  All of a sudden there's a genocidal doctor going around that everyone's old pals with and will defend regardless of his practices?

I like Mad Men a lot.  That's an example of a show that rests entirely upon the strength of its writing because not much happens.  Bad episodes = bad writing.  In Battlestar poor (or just average) writing can be offset by the action and overarching plot (although I'd argue that season 4 is unable to do this).  Stand-alone episodes often don't benefit from this effect, and can suffer as a result.  You can look at "Unfinished Business" as an example of the opposite.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: March 27, 2011, 11:08:42 AM »
Just finished Season 3. Frak me.

My mind is blown and I by no means will be able pull my thoughts together coherently but nonetheless I will try. So, if I'm not the only one experiencing this in real time SPOILERS AHEAD.

Let's start with the good:
Lee and the Colonel? Handled perfectly. Baltar's trial? Excellent. In fact, Lee pretty much sums up the entire show. They could have ended the show there-- if they wanted to. But anyway, I was very impressed with the 70 minutes of the last two episodes before all the shit goes down.

Now, the other.

Note, I'm not saying the BAD, just the OTHER. Because I don't know if what I just saw was good or bad. In fact, I don't know what I just saw. Let's just say "bizarre." Or, even better, MINDFUCK. I mean, I kinda saw some shit like this coming but, eh, there are no words.

I guess more will come later. I do have a slight feeling like, "wow, do I really want to sign up for where this is about to go?"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:15:45 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #340 on: March 27, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
How did you feel about Tigh?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: March 27, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »
Well, out of all the surprises, his was the most epic. I'm so curious to see how he'll handle it.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #342 on: March 27, 2011, 12:57:27 PM »
End of series 3 is one of the greatest things ever. So epic.

I think he went just a bit too far. Especially considering, in the first season, he doesn't even want to police people. Now he wants executions.
I take your point, but a LOT has changed since then.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #343 on: March 27, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »
The season three finale makes me angry.  There are some great moments, some good moments that could've been saved (I've ranted at length about how Lee's speech could've been a closing argument, instead of testimony which no judge would ever, ever allow; also Tigh's testimony being played for laughs), and some awful.  I can't forgive the writers for doing character assassinations on Tigh, the Chief, and Starbuck.  This is where BSG jumped the shark, imo.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #344 on: March 27, 2011, 01:26:30 PM »
I'm glad I've stopped taking your BSG-related posts seriously, or I'd be raging right now. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #345 on: March 27, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »
I'm glad I've stopped taking your BSG-related posts seriously, or I'd be raging right now. :lol

Well, you also idealize this show so much, that it's hard to take some of your posts seriously.  For example (just on this page) not finding Adama all of a sudden threatening to execute crew members as strange or out of character.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #346 on: March 27, 2011, 03:55:42 PM »
I never said it wasn't out of character, I just disagreed that there's anything particularly wrong with someone acting unexpectedly.

But yeah, I like this show a LOT (it's probably my favourite show ever), which is why I like to talk about it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:09:14 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #347 on: March 27, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »
I like this show a lot too.

The reason the majority of my posts in this thread tend to be negative is because everybody else is overwhelmingly positive  :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: March 27, 2011, 06:58:46 PM »
I don't think those are "assassinations." I mean, it's pretty obvious that the 5 have some special purposes, and aren't like the others we've seen before and are probably even something the others will be equally afraid of. For some characters, like Roslin's aid (Uh... Tori?) it seemed weird. But for Tigh and the Chief I'm really excited. Also, I'm totally curious as to where Baltar's going from here. He is, by far, one of the strongest Sci-Fi characters ever.

So, do you guys want to take bets? Which side am I going to fall on in terms of enjoying Season 4? I've loved the show up until now, but I am really really curious as to where they're going with it and I'm not entirely sure I like this new place they're going either.

Also, my DVDs come with a movie called "Razor." What is it and when should I watch it?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #349 on: March 27, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »
It's a Battlestar "movie".  Watch it now; this was when it was made.  It's quite enjoyable.

As for which side you fall on, I think you might like it, as much as I want somebody else to be on my side in these endless season 4 debates  ;D