Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 161999 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »
Even though we've just been discussing why it makes sense?

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean nobody else will.

OF COURSE IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, HOW DID ADAMA KILL LOCKE BUT THEN HAVE LOCKE COME BACK ....OH FRACK IT, THEY NEVER SHOULD HAVE INTRODUCED JACOB AS THE CYLON GOD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #176 on: July 18, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »
TURNS OUT IT WAS ALL A DREAM LOL

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »
5 episodes into the first season and I can't stop watching the show!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »
Woot, a newcomer!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »
Hurrah, now that Timmy (and possibly metty) have reached the end, we were needing a new newcomer! :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
Reaching the end was very sad. I need a new show!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »
Reaching the end was very sad. I need a new show!

Yeah! I haven't been able to find a TV show anywhere near as epic as BSG.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2010, 05:41:46 PM »
:sadpanda:
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
After getting past the miniseries, I'm on to the episodes. So far, I've only watched four, but I can already see how this is capable of being just as good IF NOT BETTER than firely.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »
There is no such thing as getting past the miniseries, it was great all on its own.  Back when it first aired I remember being shocked at how much I loved the whole thing, only expecting something passable.  Then we had to hope for the go ahead of the series, which I'm not sure I've ever been that excited about the prospect of a possible tv show.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »
After getting past the miniseries, I'm on to the episodes. So far, I've only watched four, but I can already see how this is capable of being just as good IF NOT BETTER than firely.

On an episode by episode basis, Firefly is better, but it was way too short lived to call it better than all of Battlestar.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online Adami

« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Firefly is not better than BSG. Firefly is largely comedic, despite it's large amount of drama. BSG is 100% sci fi drama. It's not fair to compare.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2010, 07:47:14 PM »
Even though I've only watched 6 episodes... 33 is fucking great!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2010, 12:58:20 AM »
It's the perfect hour of television.

(Mad props to those who get the reference.)

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2010, 05:26:23 AM »
Oh I totally forgot people told me to watch Firefly ages ago. As soon as I'm done with True Blood I'll start watching it  :D

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2010, 07:44:14 AM »
It's the perfect hour of television.

(Mad props to those who get the reference.)

That might be a bit of a stretch (Helo's storyline being present in this episode pisses me off somewhat), but it's certainly a contender for best BSG episode.  What I like about it (and something that was unfortunately not visited almost ever again) was a. the complete lack of control on the behalf of the protagonists in both the situation and the unfolding plot and b. a somewhat realistic approach to the level of psychological stress they were under.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2010, 11:34:33 AM »
So, I'm into the second season and I just got done watching the 2-part episode Home... wow! Just amazing!

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2010, 11:35:31 AM »
Bears, beets, battlestar galactica!

Online Adami

« Reply #193 on: August 25, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »
Somewhat related, I've been watching all the episodes of Star Trek TNG again and noticed that the original increase in quality came when Ronald Moore started writing episodes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #194 on: August 25, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »
Damn that intro music is so fucking epic!!!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2010, 12:04:32 AM »
I finished season 3 a few days ago... HOLY SHIT!  Those last 10 minutes of Crossroads Part II turn the series completely on its head!!!

Also, that whole speech Apollo makes in the court... damn good acting!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2010, 07:34:30 AM »
Crossroads bugs me for a number of reasons.

The stuff besides the "Who's the other 5 Cylons" is really good.  There are some legitimately great moments there.  But it's ruined by the awful other scenes.  I mean, Tigh's testimony could've been one of the best emotional moments of the series, if it hadn't been played off for fucking laughs at the end of it.  Also, Lee's speech would've been so much better if it had been even remotely realistic; I don't think you have to be a lawyer to realize that you cannot testify in defence of your own client.  It could've been delivered as a closing argument, would've made no difference, and would've still claimed some sense of realism.

Also I hate the whole Kara comes back from the dead shit.  Crossroads is where BSG jumped the shark imo.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2010, 08:46:54 AM »
About Lee's speech, what you point out is true and even the episode say those things, but it's allowed after the judges themselves say they want to hear what he has to say.

I don't know how realistic that might be, but I guess that's one of those moments where you have to do the whole suspension of disbelief thing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »
Well, every show/movie takes liberties with the courtroom.  Mostly because it's supposed to be boring as hell, which doesn't work well for a medium that's supposed to be entertaining.

But what Lee does in the courtroom is about as realistic as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQc4qMNPp0o

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2010, 09:58:54 AM »
:lol

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »
It's been a while since I've seen that episode, but isn't Lee's speech all about how things are all fucked up and don't make any sense, that they've thrown the books out on old laws and morals? So the fact that his appearance on the dias doesn't make sense only strengthens his argument!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »
It's been a while since I've seen that episode, but isn't Lee's speech all about how things are all fucked up and don't make any sense, that they've thrown the books out on old laws and morals? So the fact that his appearance on the dias doesn't make sense only strengthens his argument!

What I like is this one part of how it happens, I'm kinda paraphrasing:

Romo "I'd like to call my associate to the stand."
Judge "That isn't possible."
Romo "I can cite seven precedents off the top of my head."

How likely is it Romo's lying there?

Crossroads has a lot of problems, such as the speech going on too long, but the good parts of the speech are really good.

Something I like is how Lee's speech not only got Baltar off, but actually reverberated through Adama and the ship. After Season 3, the military discipline got so much looser, getting to the point where Adama was actually drinking on duty. Generally, TV and movie speeches usually aren't believably convincing. By having it resonate so deeply in the cast, it adds a sort of secondary layer of believability.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2010, 03:42:53 PM »

But how would the judges have known that he was lying? The judges where chosen from the captains that were on the fleet, and the episodes before it and Crossroads do nothing to show if any of the captains had previous knowledge of law and/or court proceedings (We know Adama's father was a lawyer, but from what they show in the series Adama didn't care for it). So Romo could've easily made it up, that was my first thought, but if in fact the judges had no previous knowledge of court then it's entirely possible they would've trusted the guy who was a lawyer before the Cylon attack.

But he could've also be saying the truth, the prosecutor didn't fight when Romo made the seven precedents comment.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »
But how would the judges have known that he was lying? The judges where chosen from the captains that were on the fleet, and the episodes before it and Crossroads do nothing to show if any of the captains had previous knowledge of law and/or court proceedings (We know Adama's father was a lawyer, but from what they show in the series Adama didn't care for it). So Romo could've easily made it up, that was my first thought, but if in fact the judges had no previous knowledge of court then it's entirely possible they would've trusted the guy who was a lawyer before the Cylon attack.

But he could've also be saying the truth, the prosecutor didn't fight when Romo made the seven precedents comment.

That's why it's awesome if he was lying. No one else was going to call him on it.
Over and over again

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »

Crossroads has a lot of problems, such as the speech going on too long, but the good parts of the speech are really good.

Something I like is how Lee's speech not only got Baltar off, but actually reverberated through Adama and the ship. After Season 3, the military discipline got so much looser, getting to the point where Adama was actually drinking on duty. Generally, TV and movie speeches usually aren't believably convincing. By having it resonate so deeply in the cast, it adds a sort of secondary layer of believability.
I agree. The end of Season 3 was just amazing, that speech along with the various revelations made for such great viewing!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »
Also, Romo Lampkin has been my favorite guest star by miles! Admiral Cain was lame, they went so far to make her be so antagonistic and hated that it was just lame.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »
Also, Romo Lampkin has been my favorite guest star by miles! Admiral Cain was lame, they went so far to make her be so antagonistic and hated that it was just lame.

wut

Best character in the show.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2010, 07:07:43 PM »
Admiral Cain?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »
Over and over again

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:03 PM »
Admiral Cain?

The Pegasus CO
I know who she was. I was asking Guinea if he was indeed saying Cain was the best character in the show.