Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 165784 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1120 on: December 17, 2012, 01:33:33 PM »
I know, right? It's so good!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1121 on: December 17, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »
I really enjoyed the season finale.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1122 on: December 17, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »
Also, Adama and Rosalin… yeah, I lose it there too.

Of course.
Anyone who doesn't cry here doesn't have a soul.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1123 on: December 17, 2012, 01:36:55 PM »
I cried a fair bit in that episode. Emotional times.

Online Adami

« Reply #1124 on: December 17, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
I cried a fair bit in that episode. Emotional times.

-hug-

...hey, when opportunity knocks, right?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1125 on: December 17, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »
I really enjoyed the season finale.

Me too.  And it covered such a thorough range of emotion, from the action-packed seige on the colony, to the melancholy yet calming colonization of earth, and everything in between.  So good.  In particular, I enjoyed the fullfillment of the opera house vision.  I didn't know that was coming.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1126 on: December 17, 2012, 02:45:17 PM »
The conclusion of the opera house vision was the only thing that was a big letdown for me. It was something that was being hinted/teased since the first season and to be... well, that, was a letdown.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1127 on: December 17, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »
I thought the opera house conclusion was great, very nicely done and like bosk says, kinda unexpected!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1128 on: December 17, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »
Yeah, I thought they had pretty much resolved the opera house vision issue earlier and didn't know it was going to be revisited so specifically. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1129 on: December 18, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »
Yeah, I thought they had pretty much resolved the opera house vision issue earlier and didn't know it was going to be revisited so specifically.

Please give us more of your opinions on the finale.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1130 on: December 18, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
It was good.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: December 18, 2012, 02:16:12 PM »
Way to spoil it for all the newbies, bosk...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1132 on: December 18, 2012, 02:18:25 PM »
:(

BRB.  I have a sudden urge to go listen to All Along The Watchtower.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1133 on: December 19, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
It was good.

Hahaha.  Gonna make me work, aren't you Bosky.

- Were you satisfied or unsatisfied by the final Starbuck reveal?

- Which moments did you find the most emotionally affecting and why?  (Random scene that really gets me - All the ships flying into the sun.  The first time I saw the episode I didn't get it.  Then I realized it was about giving the fleet a viking funeral, which makes me love it.  The reorchestrated theme from the original series serving as background music is a brilliant touch).

- Having seen the entirety of Baltar's arc, what is your final opinion of the character?  Do you think he is redeemed?  Do you think he genuinely transformed?

- What did you think of Brother Cavil committing suicide?

- IMO:  I don't know if Galactica ramming into the colony topped the atmosphere jump from Exodus Part II, but it's certainly a worthy successor to one of the best moments of the show.  At least equally as awesome.  Agree or disagree?

- Probably the defining element of the finale, for better or for worse, is how it really goes for broke in terms of being really warm and emotional.  Even though it has flaws (mostly in terms of the logic of the plot), I appreciated how the show wanted to end on a positive note.  It rewards you for caring.  What do you think?
Over and over again

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1134 on: December 19, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »

- IMO:  I don't know if Galactica ramming into the colony topped the atmosphere jump from Exodus Part II, but it's certainly a worthy successor to one of the best moments of the show.  At least equally as awesome.  Agree or disagree?
My two cents on those questions:

I know some people disagree, but I always thought that was perfectly in character.

Agreed.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1135 on: December 19, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »

I thought it was well done, actually.  I'm sure a lot of people must have been clamoring for some more concrete answers, but it spelled out just enough, IMO, to make you buy into it.  It gave you enough to understand in basic terms what she is and why she was there, but still shrouded enough of the whole thing in mystery to make you appreciate that whatever the being is supposed to be that is referred to as "God" really is a powerful, mysterious being that is able to do things we cannot comprehend. 

Understanding that she really was actually sent back from the dead, I'm also inclined to believe that she really did die when she went into the storm as well.  So that means she was actually sent back from the dead twice.  She died on the first "earth" and then again in the storm.  Although, perhaps these are actually the same event.  What leads me to say that is, the viper she returned in was somehow modified and different from the one she had originally flown into the storm.  There is no indication the remains of the viper they found on "earth" was different.  And what would a viper from the present day be doing on a planet that was torched 2,000 years ago anyway?  So here's what I'm thinking:  The storm was somehow some anomaly that sent present day Starbuck back in time where her remains crash landed on earth.  If that's the case, then she only really DID die once.  Maybe all that is obvious, but I had to noodle through it.

- Which moments did you find the most emotionally affecting and why?  (Random scene that really gets me - All the ships flying into the sun.  The first time I saw the episode I didn't get it.  Then I realized it was about giving the fleet a viking funeral, which makes me love it.  The reorchestrated theme from the original series serving as background music is a brilliant touch).

I'll have to come back to this, but there were quite a few.  Roslyn working in sick bay got me.  A lot of the "resolution" scenes on earth at the end of the show as well, such as Roslyn passing.

- Having seen the entirety of Baltar's arc, what is your final opinion of the character?  Do you think he is redeemed?  Do you think he genuinely transformed?

That's a tough one.  Yeah, I think we really HAVE TO conclude that he was redeemed and transformed.  I just don't WANT TO conclude that.  Which is an interesting conflict, and the fact that I am still having that conflict shows how well done his character was written. 

Seemed random and irrational.  But while it could have simply been a throwaway by the writers, not really knowing what else to do with him, I choose to think they intentionally made it random and illogical because, despite having a complex orchestrated, calculated plan, there was much about him that still remained random and irrational despite that cold, calculated nature.

I agree.  And the impact of both of those scenes, but especially the one with the colony, was augmented by the fact that the writers somehow managed to make the ship a character as well as just a ship.  You were made to care about and feel for the ship.  It was every bit as much a major character as any human or cylon in the series.  ...which given the major conflict in the series of "human" vs. "machine," and how that conflict blurs in both directions, is deliciously ironic.

- Probably the defining element of the finale, for better or for worse, is how it really goes for broke in terms of being really warm and emotional.  Even though it has flaws (mostly in terms of the logic of the plot), I appreciated how the show wanted to end on a positive note.  It rewards you for caring.  What do you think?

Yeah, I agree. 

Online Adami

« Reply #1136 on: December 19, 2012, 02:10:50 PM »
Just an FYI, Cavils suicide was actually the idea of his actor Dean Stockwell.

Also, I once read a theory (though with obviously no proof) about Anders becoming the "god" character. Thoughts?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1137 on: December 19, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »
That would have been an interesting arc, but they really didn't plant any seeds to lead me to believe that they were going for anything like that.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1138 on: December 19, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »
I see Bosk made it to the end, congrats.

As for the finale-yeah I bawl like a baby at the one particular Adama/Roslin scene every time I watch it. EVERY time.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1139 on: December 19, 2012, 03:22:56 PM »
I bawled my eyes out at the Adama/Roslin scene - I mean, I knew she was dying but the scene just made it hit you like a ton of bricks.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1140 on: December 20, 2012, 05:26:17 AM »
If you didn't cry in that scene you have no soul. My brother was laughing at me at that point (to be fair I cried a LOT in that episode), he is immune to all things emotional.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1141 on: December 20, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »
Sounds like he's an aberration then. :jets:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1142 on: December 23, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
Random thought on Daybreak - Bear McCreary even said that he wanted to bust out something special for the music in this episode, and it shows.  I don't think any episode of any TV show is this good musically.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1143 on: December 27, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »
Further reflection on the series has led me to another interesting revelation.  The show did a really good job of presenting interesting plot twists where everything that you assumed, or everything that the characters assumed, turns out to be wrong.  Here's another possible one of those:  It was widely assumed that the prophecy of the dying leader leading the people to earth referred to Roslyn.  Roslyn herself believed this to be true.  I'm thinking it actually has an intentional double meaning that we were not meant to discover until Daybreak.  I think it also quite clearly refers to Starbuck.  Thoughts?

Online Adami

« Reply #1144 on: December 27, 2012, 02:58:32 PM »
Further reflection on the series has led me to another interesting revelation.  The show did a really good job of presenting interesting plot twists where everything that you assumed, or everything that the characters assumed, turns out to be wrong.  Here's another possible one of those:  It was widely assumed that the prophecy of the dying leader leading the people to earth referred to Roslyn.  Roslyn herself believed this to be true.  I'm thinking it actually has an intentional double meaning that we were not meant to discover until Daybreak.  I think it also quite clearly refers to Starbuck.  Thoughts?

Possibly. The show also made the theory that the dying leader was the Galactica itself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1145 on: December 27, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »
Oh, I hadn't thought of that.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1146 on: December 27, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
Started a rewatch inspired by this thread.  I'm almost finished with the first season already which has been pretty much nonstop good episodes.  There were quite a few episodes that I didn't remember at all so this has, so far, been a nice refresher.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1147 on: December 28, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »
I think that the finale pretty clearly stresses that the "dying leader" was Galactica.  Somewhat of a retcon, but an acceptable one.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1148 on: December 28, 2012, 02:20:23 PM »

I thought it was well done, actually.  I'm sure a lot of people must have been clamoring for some more concrete answers, but it spelled out just enough, IMO, to make you buy into it.  It gave you enough to understand in basic terms what she is and why she was there, but still shrouded enough of the whole thing in mystery to make you appreciate that whatever the being is supposed to be that is referred to as "God" really is a powerful, mysterious being that is able to do things we cannot comprehend.
When Baltar initially called her an angel in the hanger bay, that made me buy into that line.  Something about Baltar in the last season seemed to make him quite trustworthy. :lol  The minds that be did state it was supposed to be ambiguous, I know they didn't want to clearly define the "god" that certainly existed, instead leaving what "it" actually was open to interpretation.  One of the last lines, with the angels in modern day, clearly stated "it" did not like being revered to as a deity.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1149 on: December 30, 2012, 05:19:20 AM »
If you didn't cry in that scene you have no soul.
Anyone who doesn't cry here doesn't have a soul.
HOW ORIGINAL!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1150 on: December 30, 2012, 08:16:43 AM »
I didn't cry. I thought that he was looking for a good place to crash the ship into and I was kind of disappointed by the outcome.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1151 on: December 30, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »
What.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1152 on: December 30, 2012, 11:39:21 AM »
I didn't cry.  It was a good scene though.

Finished season 1, started up season 2 on my rewatch.  The two-part finale wasn't as good as I remembered it, but the opening episodes of season 2?  Wham blam, forgot how great of a premier "Scattered" was.

Online Adami

« Reply #1153 on: December 30, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »
I remember last time I re-watched it, the scene that really gave me the shivers was during the coup when Roslyn thought Adama had been killed and said "Do you hear me??!! I'm coming for you!"

Just put me in my place.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1154 on: December 30, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »
I didn't cry during the finale, but I laughed a lot.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."