Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 165767 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #980 on: November 13, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
That's always a problem with a show or movie enters into your professional field, you're going to find a ton of flaws.

I do the same thing when shows or movies try to get into the psychology field. However, sometimes you just have to let it go to enjoy it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #981 on: November 13, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »
Yup, so many people ask me if I watch Numbers, but I can't stand the show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #982 on: November 13, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »
I realize that.  And I'm trying to distance myself from that.  But most shows that depict the justice system do a reasonable enough job that it doesn't bug me and I can overlook the things are aren't very realistic, but are sacrificed in the name of storytelling.  Here, I just find myself saying, "Even though this is literally a fictional legal system from another planet, there's just no way a legal issue of this magnitude would be handled this way by these characters."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #983 on: November 13, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »
This is Romo Lampkin.

And he disapproves of your argument.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #984 on: November 13, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »
Romo Lampkin is a tool.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #985 on: November 13, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »
This is Badger.

And you have insulted him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #986 on: November 13, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »
This is the Honey Badger

And he don't care.

Offline Adami

« Reply #987 on: November 13, 2012, 01:40:11 PM »
I'll see you in court.

You might be a lawyer, but I'm Jewish, which somehow makes me a better lawyer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #988 on: November 13, 2012, 01:50:46 PM »
I realize that.  And I'm trying to distance myself from that.  But most shows that depict the justice system do a reasonable enough job that it doesn't bug me and I can overlook the things are aren't very realistic, but are sacrificed in the name of storytelling.  Here, I just find myself saying, "Even though this is literally a fictional legal system from another planet, there's just no way a legal issue of this magnitude would be handled this way by these characters."
Maybe it would help to write off the malformed legal system to the malformed society they have.  They basically don't have a court system surviving the apocalypse, did they?  While I suppose the writers might have shot themselves in the foot trying to argue this was the actual system, maybe this is just a sad mock up strewn together of that system.  Maybe even to their surviving legal experts it looks a farce.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #989 on: November 13, 2012, 01:56:11 PM »
Of course, it could also just be that my attitude toward this part of the story is just being shaped negatively by my disgust at the fact that I know Baltar isn't going to be convicted and flushed out of the nearest airlock like he should be.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #990 on: November 13, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »
This is Canton Everett Delaware III.

Welcome to America.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: November 13, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »
Of course, it could also just be that my attitude toward this part of the story is just being shaped negatively by my disgust at the fact that I know Baltar isn't going to be convicted and flushed out of the nearest airlock like he should be.

This is really important, actually, and I hope we remember to discuss it when you finally get to the end.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #992 on: November 13, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
The end of the series, or the end of pt. II?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: November 13, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »
The series. Hurry up!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #994 on: November 13, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »
:dammitall:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: November 13, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »
Frak!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #996 on: November 13, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »
This is really important, actually, and I hope we remember to discuss it when you finally get to the end.
I'm curious what point you're getting at, can you pm me?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #997 on: November 13, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »
This is former King of the Crossroads Demons and current King of Hell, Crowley

And he'll take your soul now.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #998 on: November 13, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »
My soul is my own now.  I do not fight for you.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #999 on: November 16, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
Crossroads, pt. II - Well, all right then...  All in all, this episode had some of the absolute best and some of the absolute worst the series has to offer.  The courtroom stuff was just ridiculously, outrageously bad--to the point where I can barely stand it.  But everything else...just...I'm overwhelmed with how cool it was.  From the little things about Admiral Adama's and Roslyn's relationship, to All Along The Watchtower, to four of the Five coming together in the gym and deciding how to react to that, to Lee discovering Cara, to the camera work in the final scene...just...  :clap:

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1000 on: November 16, 2012, 09:19:48 AM »
Some great, some awful is my appraisal, too.  Although it looks like we disagree about what those things were.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1001 on: November 16, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
Yes, but you're almost always completely wrong, so I take it as a great self affirmation that you have the opposite opinion that I do on this.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1002 on: November 16, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »
Yes, but you're almost always completely wrong, so I take it as a great self affirmation that you have the opposite opinion that I do on this.
:rollin :rollin :rollin

Not surprise you disliked the courtroom parts since that's touches into your real life job and it's always laughable when movies/tv do that, I for one didn't mind them but then again I've no earthly idea of what comes close to the real thing or not. Still, this episode, and the third season as a whole, I always loved and those final moments of the episode are just :metal !!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1003 on: November 16, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
I started season one for the first time last week, about half way through at the moment! Heard alot about this show and decided to give it a go. I like it so far but damn that Cylon Hottie Nr Six is really annoying and there are some characters that i'm not feeling at the moment but despite that i enjoy the show.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1004 on: November 16, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
I wrote up a list of the ten episodes that I thought best embodied BSG for another forum.  Maybe I should post it here. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1005 on: November 16, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »
I started season one for the first time last week, about half way through at the moment! Heard alot about this show and decided to give it a go. I like it so far but damn that Cylon Hottie Nr Six is really annoying and there are some characters that i'm not feeling at the moment but despite that i enjoy the show.

SWEET!  Be careful not to go back and read earlier posts in this thread.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1006 on: November 16, 2012, 10:03:12 AM »
Spilers since we have a new player, fine for bosk1:
OK, now you know all of the five. here's my almost complete rundown on possible hints or contributing factors to each being made a cylon.

Ellen: Ambiguous from the get go, strongly hinted Baltar covered up or faked the test.  Admitted by the show runners they were thinking about her the whole time.

Tyrol: Some people thought his relationship with Boomer gave hints, I don't buy it.  Cavil at the end of Season 2 says he fears he's a cylon.  The Temple of the Five was his coming out party.  Then he withstood the vacuum way better than his wife, in case you missed the Temple.

Anders: Anders survived pneumonia with no antibiotics and terrible living conditions with no explanation.  Not unthinkable, but a cylon would have much better odds than a human of doing so.  His groups continued survival on Earth would have been a handily explained if they were 'normal' cylons.  This had helped make Anders a popular guess, though.  The giveaway was Caprica Three's apology.  She had meaningful screen time with three humans, Baltar, Cottle, and Anders.  She tortured Baltar, but was at that point his lover.  He was also soundly shown to be human an episode or two later.  Cottle there wasn't anything to apologize for.  Anders, she tried to murder face-to-face.

Tigh:  The loss of his eye might have been symbolism.  Otherwise the only possible hint is by close association with three of the others.  I think they probably weren't thinking about him until late, but those two things played nicely.

Tory: Nothing that I know.  I guess they just needed another one and didn't know what to do.

Anyways, Tory and Tigh were shockers.  Tyrol and Anders had been popular guesses for some time.

Starbuck was another popular guess at this point.  The cylon doctors should have recognized she was cylon when they had her on Caprica, though.  She was just popular because she was seemingly killed.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:09:38 AM by yorost »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1007 on: November 16, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
SPOILERS (okay for Bosk1)

Crossroads, pt. II - Well, all right then...  All in all, this episode had some of the absolute best and some of the absolute worst the series has to offer.  The courtroom stuff was just ridiculously, outrageously bad--to the point where I can barely stand it.  But everything else...just...I'm overwhelmed with how cool it was.  From the little things about Admiral Adama's and Roslyn's relationship, to All Along The Watchtower, to four of the Five coming together in the gym and deciding how to react to that, to Lee discovering Cara, to the camera work in the final scene...just...  :clap:

One thing in the courtroom drama I'll defend - The big Lee speech could have been relentlessly terrible.  But Jamie Bamber made a smart acting choice and played to the character's own internal frustrations rather than getting too too preachy.  I'm still not quite sure how good the speech is, but it was at least acted right.

Now that you know Kara comes back, here's the other great Maelstrom story.

When the writers made the decision to kill Starbuck in that episode, they already knew she was coming back.  But, they purposefully decided not to tell anyone this but Katie Sackhoff (the actress who plays her).  This resulted in what Ronald D. Moore called a "mutiny" among the other cast members.  At first, RDM tried just telling Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell (since they were kinda the elder statesmen of the cast), but eventually broke down and just told everyone what the plan was in order to calm things down.

"There's no business.... like show business....."

Can't wait until you see He That Believeth in Me.  The inevitable Human/Cylon space battle is one of the best action scenes in the show.

Also, if you want to watch Razor, it was released between seasons 3 and 4, so now is technically the right time to do so.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1008 on: November 16, 2012, 10:10:47 AM »

SWEET!  Be careful not to go back and read earlier posts in this thread.
Ahh thx for the heads up, i was just about too do that!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1009 on: November 16, 2012, 10:19:28 AM »
@yorost:  You DO realize that for anyone using a dark theme, the white font is completely useless for hiding the text, right?  :lol

And I completely disagree with you about who Three was apologizing to.

The last one you mention...I think she was a GREAT choice.  We don't know a WHOLE lot about her character, but her position alone makes her revelation a very chilling one.  Not knowing her intentions (or the intensions of the others), it's scary to think about the damage that could be done given her position. 

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1010 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »
That's why I add the strikethrough, and I'm choosing the color based on the default theme since I assume most use that.

Anders makes the most sense given what we saw on screen.  She would have had to not seen him to be apologizing to Tigh, Tory, or Tyrol.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1011 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
SPOILERS -- in response to REAP

SPOILERS (okay for Bosk1)One thing in the courtroom drama I'll defend - The big Lee speech could have been relentlessly terrible.  But Jamie Bamber made a smart acting choice and played to the character's own internal frustrations rather than getting too too preachy.  I'm still not quite sure how good the speech is, but it was at least acted right.

I completely agree with you.  Even though I hated it, it was acted perfectly.  And in terms of kind of explaining Lee's motivations over the last few eposides and credibly explaining why is character is doing what he's doing, the speech also did help to bridge the gap and make Lee's actions somewhat believable, so it served a purpose. 

If I can find the time over the next week or so, I'll try to give some detail on how the entire trial went wrong in terms of being stupid and unbelievable.

Can't wait until you see He That Believeth in Me.  The inevitable Human/Cylon space battle is one of the best action scenes in the show.

Yeah, I'm pretty intrigued.  As I've mentioned, I don't see how there possibly CAN be any credible sort of space battle with the Galactica as damaged as it is.  Even when it was in better shape earlier in the show, they were rightly afraid of going up against even a single basestar for more than a distraction mission to allow the fleet to jump away in retreat.  Now that they are cornered and forced to fight because they can't run, I'm interesting in seeing what happens next.  A cripped Galactica against multiple (they didn't say how many yet) basestars is such an imbalanced fight that it doesn't even have a prayer of being an "against all odds" win--there AREN'T even any odds on this one!  :lol  So something significant has to happen to change the odds, IMO.  Dying to see what it is.  BUT...

Also, if you want to watch Razor, it was released between seasons 3 and 4, so now is technically the right time to do so.

Yeah, it's the next DVD in order, and I had been wanting to watch it.  But after Crossroads2, I can't wait to see what happens next chronologically in the series.  What to do...

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1012 on: November 16, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
Don't read Mr. Boom, you're OK Bosk.

The last one you mention...I think she was a GREAT choice.  We don't know a WHOLE lot about her character, but her position alone makes her revelation a very chilling one.  Not knowing her intentions (or the intensions of the others), it's scary to think about the damage that could be done given her position. 
I always disliked this choice, but it was more because I had never care for her character and now she's thrust into this "important" role which I thought was like "well, she's not doing anything else important".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1013 on: November 16, 2012, 10:31:57 AM »
@yorost:  There is clearly plenty of room for debate.  But for the record, I don't see your logic and I think you're completely wrong.  :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1014 on: November 16, 2012, 10:44:49 AM »
@Dimi

I always disliked this choice, but it was more because I had never care for her character and now she's thrust into this "important" role which I thought was like "well, she's not doing anything else important".

Well, as far as I can remember, she didn't even exist on the show prior to Billy's death (or maybe she was mentioned directly before).  I just took it as, she was a member of Roslyn's staff, and after Billy died, was the next logical choice to be Roslyn's chief aid.  But given the revelation of who she is, the fact that she is that close to the president and has access to pretty much any and all information the president has...I mean, that's pretty scary.