Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 165653 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #560 on: June 26, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »
You didn't like 33????

Also....

DO YOU HEAR ME??? I AM COMING FOR YOU!!!!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #561 on: June 26, 2012, 10:51:25 AM »
Bosk is worse than GP!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #562 on: June 26, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
You didn't like 33????

No, I liked it.  But it wasn't amazing or anything.  If someone said it was middle-of-the-road for the series, that'd be cool.  But if people are saying that is the best the series has to offer, then I can say pretty confidently the series does not live up to its reputation, IMO.

But there was some interesting stuff going on.  And I think we learned a few things as well:
1.  If Blondie is either really projecting herself into Gaius' mind through a chip, or if she is simply a collection of his actual memories and experiences with her and not just a COMPLETE delusion, we learned that the Cylons are very religious.
2.  We learned that the Cylons do in fact take prisoners and are not out to completely annihilate humanity--at least, not right away.
3.  We leared that there are at least two separate factions within he Cylon empire that seem to be opposed to one another.
4.  We learned the president has no clue how to maintain proper security as chief executive, since she apparently lets whoever she pleases hang out in her office chambers.

I think that's about it right now...

DO YOU HEAR ME??? I AM COMING FOR YOU!!!!

???  Was that from 33?  I'm not remembering it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #563 on: June 26, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »
Well, again, Roslin is just a teacher who only got the job because everyone above her in the ladder got nuke'd to hell!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: June 26, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
You didn't like 33????

No, I liked it.  But it wasn't amazing or anything.  If someone said it was middle-of-the-road for the series, that'd be cool. 

33 is good, about middle of the road for me.  There are far better episodes out there, IMO.  I'm on my third viewing now and am a few episodes into season 3. 

Btw, what did Mrs. Bosk1 think of it? (Almost typed her real name.  :facepalm:)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #565 on: June 26, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »
She was asleep.  But I had to watch anyway. 

Hey, are you going to the show?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: June 26, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »
She was asleep.  But I had to watch anyway. 

Hey, are you going to the show?

I'm still undecided.  I wasn't blown away by the setlist that they're playing.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #567 on: June 26, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
33 was good, don't get me wrong.  It's just not the benchmark of the show IMO.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #568 on: June 26, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »
33 is one of the best episodes of the show but not THE best.  Still, I'm surprised you didn't like it.  What specifically didn't you like or just not respond to?  The shoe establishes very well what the series does well.  You see characters make tough decisions in tense circumstances.  You understand the texture and the humanity of these situations in a way that most shows would just gloss over.  And some good Sci-Fi stuff (the concept behind the show is ingenious).
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #569 on: June 26, 2012, 09:36:21 PM »
Still, I'm surprised you didn't like it.  What specifically didn't you like or just not respond to? 

??? I said very clearly that I liked it.  It was very good.  But it wasn't stellar, that's all.  And not that it needed to be.  But I have heard that the series itself is stellar.  So I was reacting to the comment that essentially said that 33 is the best episode of the entire series.  If that is the case, and this episode is indeed the best of the series, I will be disappointed because that indicates to me that the series is merely "very good," and not "stellar."  Clear now?

Anyhow, thinking back on the episode, I realize something.  Maybe it's WAY too early to be making such a broad generalization, but the events in this eposide seem especially critical to the survival of humanity, and I think this episode was a HUGE turning point and a HUGE mistake on the part of the Cylons, even if it is extremely early in the timeline of events.  Obviously, the Galactica is critical to the survival of humankind.  Without it, what's left of the fleet does not survive.  And if the fleet does not survive, humanity's only slim chance of surviving (or not being subjugated) is effectively wiped out.  The Cylons had a prett brilliant plan.  Knowing that humans need rest and the Cylons don't (or at least, they don't need it as much as we do), they places some sort of tracking device on the Olympic Carrier that allowed them to track the fleet and jump to their location every 33 minutes.  The plan apparently was to keep pressing the attack until the humans were pushed far past the point of mental and physical exhaustion, and then have the Olympic Carrier lag behind, quickly take the humans captive and arm it with nukes to sneak into the fleet and attack.  Brilliant plan.  And it should have worked.  And, really, after 5 days worth of having to fight and jump every 33 minutes, the humans should have been too exhausted to survive that plan.  But the Cylons should have waited a bit longer.  They should have waited until it became obvious from a pattern of human mistakes that the humans were indeed too exhausted to keep it up, and then executed the final stage of the plan.  If they succeed, the fleet is doomed.  But they acted too soon, and the humans had just enough awareness to figure out what was going on and destroy the carrier.  Yes, they had Cylon help, apparently, from the faction that looks like it is supporing the humans.  But still, time was on the Cylons' side.  The longer they wait, the better their chance of success.  Now, the fleet has apparently escaped what should have been sure defeat, and the Cylons have to wait for some break to figure out where the fleet is (or where it's going).

Online Adami

« Reply #570 on: June 26, 2012, 09:40:32 PM »
Did you consider that the whole Olympic Carrier deal was also just a psychological game and not actual attempt to destroy humanity? It's not completely clear either way, but the Cylons REALLY like screwing with humans.

Also, I guess whether or not you view the epsidoe as "very good" or "stellar" depends on what you consider to be stellar.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #571 on: June 26, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »
Did you consider that the whole Olympic Carrier deal was also just a psychological game and not actual attempt to destroy humanity? It's not completely clear either way, but the Cylons REALLY like screwing with humans.

No, I didn't consider that.  Two reasons:  (1) I haven't REALLY seen enough yet to show that they like screwing with humans.  Not a huge deal, but try not to spoil things for me since I'm so new to the series.  I'm posting in here because it's fun for me to chat about the series, and because I am assuming it is fun for fans of the series to get to see someone experience it step by step for the first time.  So, please, try not to give too much away.  (2) More importantly, the Galactica seems like a credible threat to the Cylons given that it is not susceptible to their virus and that it is going somewhere with a purpose and the Cylons do not likely know where or what the purpose is.  Based on what has been revealed so far, it seems like the Galactica may be the ONLY remaining credible threat.  So I am of the opinion that they likely want that threat eliminated.  But of course, I could be mistaken.

Online Adami

« Reply #572 on: June 26, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »
Well if they wanted to destroy Galactica they could just jump in with their magnaship.

Oh sorry, guess I spoiled that for you.

Also, in season 3 Adama fights a dragon.

Seriously though, the show leaves a lot open, so it's fun to explore lots of different motivations at different times.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: June 26, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »
You know, I was thinking of re-watching the series. The thread getting bumped might just be the inspiration I needed.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #574 on: June 26, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »
GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #575 on: June 27, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »
Also, in season 3 Adama fights a dragon.

I KNEW IT!  :caffeine:

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #576 on: June 27, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »
You know, I was thinking of re-watching the series. The thread getting bumped might just be the inspiration I needed.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #577 on: June 27, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »
No, I didn't consider that.  Two reasons:  (1) I haven't REALLY seen enough yet to show that they like screwing with humans.  Not a huge deal, but try not to spoil things for me since I'm so new to the series.  I'm posting in here because it's fun for me to chat about the series, and because I am assuming it is fun for fans of the series to get to see someone experience it step by step for the first time.  So, please, try not to give too much away.  (2) More importantly, the Galactica seems like a credible threat to the Cylons given that it is not susceptible to their virus and that it is going somewhere with a purpose and the Cylons do not likely know where or what the purpose is.  Based on what has been revealed so far, it seems like the Galactica may be the ONLY remaining credible threat.  So I am of the opinion that they likely want that threat eliminated.  But of course, I could be mistaken.

No spoilers here:

- Adama told Roslin Earth does not exist.  To the best of human knowledge, Earth doesn't actually exist.  There is no reason the Cylons would presume it exists.

- The Cylons consider letting the Galactica get away to be a credible threat.  There is no reason to believe they find a credible threat in its current existence.  They should warp in a bunch of Basestars and destroy it in a couple minutes.  The fact that this hasn't happened should imply that more complex motivations than "cylons must destroy humans" are at work.  Also note that Helo was left alive on purpose to be captured by/partnered with the Sharon on Caprica.

I say this only because if you look at the series and constantly think "wow, the Cylons are terrible at wiping out humanity.  They never send a decisive attack force," it will diminish the viewing experience.

Note that I never said the Cylons weren't trying to kill all humans.  Now I'll let your mind spin around asking questions.  This is why the show is good.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #578 on: June 27, 2012, 03:10:12 PM »
- Adama told Roslin Earth does not exist.  To the best of human knowledge, Earth doesn't actually exist.  There is no reason the Cylons would presume it exists.

Yes, I know that.  But that kind of supports my point.  The Cylons don't (likely) know where the fleet is headed or why.  But, presumably, the fleet is headed somewhere to do something that is likely in humanity's interest, which then is likely to be contrary to the Cylons' interests.  In that case, it behooves them to either destroy the fleet or find a way to keep a close eye on it.  And the latter is risky because, again, the fleet could hypothetically be up to something that could turn the tide, and if the Cylons find out about whatever it is too late, they coud be in trouble.  Hypothetically.

On another note, if we're pretending the events in the show are real, I personally don't want the fleet coming here.  Since we basically have nothing that could even remotely have a chance of repelling a Cylon attack, I would much rather the fleet stay away so there is no risk of the Cylons finding out about our puny little world.

- The Cylons consider letting the Galactica get away to be a credible threat.  There is no reason to believe they find a credible threat in its current existence.  They should warp in a bunch of Basestars and destroy it in a couple minutes.  The fact that this hasn't happened should imply that more complex motivations than "cylons must destroy humans" are at work.  Also note that Helo was left alive on purpose to be captured by/partnered with the Sharon on Caprica.

Except that, hypothetically, the Galactica could warp away just as fast. 

...if you look at the series and constantly think "wow, the Cylons are terrible at wiping out humanity.  They never send a decisive attack force," it will diminish the viewing experience.

I don't view it as they're really bad at wiping us out.  I view it as that they made a tactical error by getting impatient, which is perfectly understandable and makes the enemy at least somewhat relatable in their flawed nature instead of being perfect.

Note that I never said the Cylons weren't trying to kill all humans.  Now I'll let your mind spin around asking questions.  This is why the show is good.

I'll just let that go, other than to point out a couple of possibilities that seem like obvious possibilities, but which I don't really want anyone to answer (if the show even ever answeres it, which I suspect it may not).  One is that they do want to wipe out all humanity, and the most efficient way to do that is to keep some survivors that they can use to learn the whereabouts of other survivors out there who are in hiding or are otherwise unknown to the Cylons.  Another is that they don't want to completely wipe out humanity, but want to enslave or study us, and have to wipe out the vast majority so that there aren't enough humans left to mount any sort of uprising.

Oh, and:  :awesomelon:

Offline Vivace

« Reply #579 on: June 28, 2012, 04:57:52 AM »
You know one thing about the Cylons never sending a task force to ultimate wipe out the humans, perhaps there was still a creator connection to the Cylons that was never explored like it could have been that keeps them from really destroying the humans.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #580 on: June 28, 2012, 08:46:10 AM »
Water...

YES!

But I am SO disappointed in Boomer.  :(

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #581 on: June 28, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #582 on: June 28, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »
Because she's clearly an evil Cylon who destroyed all the water.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #583 on: June 28, 2012, 09:13:31 AM »

She's suffering from a split personality thing though.  In the opening scene, we saw her confused by her circumstances and she had no one to lie to.  The Boomer character you like is not responsible for the actions you refer to as evil.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #584 on: June 28, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »

She's suffering from a split personality thing though.  In the opening scene, we saw her confused by her circumstances and she had no one to lie to.

Yes, obviously.  And I'm disappointed by that.

The Boomer character you like is not responsible for the actions you refer to as evil.

Um, no.  "Split personality" or not, it's the same character.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #585 on: June 28, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »
Um, no.  "Split personality" or not, it's the same character.

Interesting.  Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea?
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #586 on: June 28, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »
That's just as false in Latin as it is in English.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #587 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:59 AM »

Oh, and:  :awesomelon:

OMG, that's so frakking COOL! :metal

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #588 on: June 28, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »

Hahaha.

But seriously, even if it happens through no fault of her own she's still responsible for it?
Over and over again

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #589 on: June 28, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »
I'd say yes, given what happens with that particular character further along in the series.

And that's about as close to a spoiler as I'll get, since bosk is still on the first season.

:awesomelon:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #590 on: June 28, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »

Hahaha.

But seriously, even if it happens through no fault of her own she's still responsible for it?

Frankly, yes.  But that has nothing to do with my original point.  I was assuming that there were factions among the Cylons, and that she was part of a faction that decided to help the humans.  Or, at the very least, that she had individually decided to help the humans.  I am disappointed that that is not the case and that she appears to be, as described in the title sequence, more of a Cylon sleeper agent that may not realize what she is, and is now having her programming for anti-human missions activated.  It's somewhat interesting that she is apparently struggling against that programming.  But I also find it disappointing.  Oh well.

Really curious, though, about how many other Cylons are aboard the fleet.  There is one other I suspect, but I am sure that as the series unfolds there will likely be more.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: June 28, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »

Hahaha.

Frankly, yes.  But that has nothing to do with my original point.  I was assuming that there were factions among the Cylons, and that she was part of a faction that decided to help the humans.  Or, at the very least, that she had individually decided to help the humans.  I am disappointed that that is not the case and that she appears to be, as described in the title sequence, more of a Cylon sleeper agent that may not realize what she is, and is now having her programming for anti-human missions activated.  It's somewhat interesting that she is apparently struggling against that programming.  But I also find it disappointing.  Oh well.

Really curious, though, about how many other Cylons are aboard the fleet.  There is one other I suspect, but I am sure that as the series unfolds there will likely be more.

Regarding your first point: Yes, that's how it appears right now. I'll leave it at that to avoid spoilers.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #592 on: June 28, 2012, 02:35:32 PM »
I guess I should also say:  :clap: at the fact that they even did an episode on water in the first place.  It's cool that they are taking the time to acknowledge some of the practical difficulties in just taking care of the most basic human needs when most of the surviving remnant of humanity is on starships on a long voyage in deep space, and how a simple act of sabotage can potentially be deadly.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #593 on: June 28, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
Just wait until season 2's waste disposal episode!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #594 on: June 28, 2012, 03:21:15 PM »
Since they seem to like short, pithy titles, I assume it is simply called "Poop."