Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 161989 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #490 on: March 21, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »
https://tv.ign.com/articles/122/1221327p1.html

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not even a BSG fan at all, but that sucks huge donkey balls. This just continues SyFy's sad trend of shunning actual scifi. There's basically nothing anymore.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #491 on: March 21, 2012, 10:45:51 PM »
To be fair, Syfy does need to preserve as much money as possible for the 200 Syfy original movies they're making this year about evil mutant robot vengeful carrots or whatever. God Syfy has gone down the drain.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #492 on: March 22, 2012, 01:04:12 AM »
Say what you want, Alien Apocalypse is an amazing planet-of-the-apes-ripoff-where-the-apes-are-head-eating-termites.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #493 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:49 AM »
Okay, VERY late to the party here, but I just got season 1 and started watching over the weeked.  It was a chore getting through the opening 4-hour episode.  Not because it was bad--just because it is hard to find a 4-hour block of time.  I had to split it up to get through it. 

First impression:  :tup  Seems very well done.  The story is compelling.  The characters are pretty interesting.  The pacing is good.  It's a little annoying that ships that the major characters are in somehow miraculously survive attacks that seem to leave all other ships/buildings/planets being nothing more than dust, but whatever--this has been a problem with movies for...probably as long as there have been movies.  A couple of the big questions the audience is left with at this very early stage:
-Does Gaius really have a chip in his head that essentially makes him a potential tool of the Cylons?  Definitely possible.  Those scenes are done pretty well in terms of really keeping you guessing whether Ms. Cylon is really talking to him or if he's just out of his mind.  Personally, I'm guessing she isn't really there.  I think Gaius' struggle to cope with the fact that he is responsible for billions of deaths and the possible end of humanity has him nuts to the point of hallucinating. 
-Is Boomer a Cylon?  No.  Simply because I refuse to believe she might be.

But these questions (and other things) are more than enough to keep me coming back.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: June 18, 2012, 09:06:31 AM »
I don't wish to answer your questions. It could ruin some of the joy of watching the series. I will say that I also struggled getting through the opener. Very long and knowing nothing about the series, it was a bit difficult to follow. I had to watch it twice.

Online Adami

« Reply #495 on: June 18, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
Okay, VERY late to the party here, but I just got season 1 and started watching over the weeked.  It was a chore getting through the opening 4-hour episode.  Not because it was bad--just because it is hard to find a 4-hour block of time.  I had to split it up to get through it. 

First impression:  :tup  Seems very well done.  The story is compelling.  The characters are pretty interesting.  The pacing is good.  It's a little annoying that ships that the major characters are in somehow miraculously survive attacks that seem to leave all other ships/buildings/planets being nothing more than dust, but whatever--this has been a problem with movies for...probably as long as there have been movies.  A couple of the big questions the audience is left with at this very early stage:
-Does Gaius really have a chip in his head that essentially makes him a potential tool of the Cylons?  Definitely possible.  Those scenes are done pretty well in terms of really keeping you guessing whether Ms. Cylon is really talking to him or if he's just out of his mind.  Personally, I'm guessing she isn't really there.  I think Gaius' struggle to cope with the fact that he is responsible for billions of deaths and the possible end of humanity has him nuts to the point of hallucinating. 

But these questions (and other things) are more than enough to keep me coming back.

Both of those questions get answered. One more definitely than the other, but still it's great stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #496 on: June 18, 2012, 10:46:23 AM »
Oh are you in for a treat. While the entire show is reasonably good-some of season 3 lags, and they got bitchslapped hard by the writer's strike during season four-the first two seasons of Galactica are among the best television I've ever seen. You might as well go buy season two now. Trust me, you'll want to. :D
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Adami

« Reply #497 on: June 18, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
Oh are you in for a treat. While the entire show is reasonably good-some of season 3 lags, and they got bitchslapped hard by the writer's strike during season four-the first two seasons of Galactica are among the best television I've ever seen. You might as well go buy season two now. Trust me, you'll want to. :D

I don't agree that seasons 3 and 4 are bad. I liked the elements they threw in. Granted there were a few.....well loose ends and random plots that didn't go anywhere, it was still amazing TV which cemented BSG as the greatest sci-fi show ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #498 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53:20 AM »
I picked up season 1 for only $10!  I'm hoping for similar finds for the later seasons once I am ready for them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

« Reply #499 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53:24 AM »
Seasons 3 and 4 are good, yes, but they have the weakest points for me-mainly the middle of three, which gets really episodic rather than arc based (I understand that was Sci-Fi's meddling there, and they wisely ignored that sort of advice for the last season) and there are rough edges in the first half of season four that came from the pressure of getting them done before the writers strike. The second half of season four is brilliant, and fuck the haters, I love the finale, it's goddamn amazing.

And yes, that is a good deal, since I paid $49 for season 1 and 3 and, I believe, something around $30 apiece for the split sets of seasons 2 and 4.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #500 on: June 18, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »
Oh are you in for a treat.

This and

You might as well go buy season two now. Trust me, you'll want to. :D

this.

For so long I was so prepared to NOT like the reboot for some stupid reason or whatever.  I was hooked from the 4-hour intro.  SUCH good television.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #501 on: June 18, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
I never felt predisposed against it in any way.  I just didn't really realize when it was airing on TV, so I missed it.  (we may not have even had cable at the time, actually)  I love that with the DVD's, I can basically watch whenever I have time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #502 on: June 18, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »

Both of those questions get answered. One more definitely than the other, but still it's great stuff.

I don't doubt it.  And I'm sure the answer to the second question is actually "yes."  There doesn't really seem to be any way around it given how the pilot ended.  I'm just in denial (or maybe she will be a Cylon turned good, sort of like how in the Terminator/SCC TV series, some of the machines rebelled against Skynet and were either fighting to support the humans or were fighting against Skynet for their own independent reasons). 

The other question, I'm much more undecided about.  The bigger question to me about Gaius is whether he will follow an arc that will lead him to actually completely defect to the Cylons and fight against the humans as he did in the original series.  But that isn't really raised so far just in the pilot (although there is enough foundation for it that an arc like that later in the series wouldn't surprise me).

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #503 on: June 18, 2012, 12:02:44 PM »
I never felt predisposed against it in any way.  I just didn't really realize when it was airing on TV, so I missed it.  (we may not have even had cable at the time, actually)  I love that with the DVD's, I can basically watch whenever I have time.

Well, like I said - my reason for disliking it (which I can't even remember now :lol ) was completely off-base and stupid.  It wasn't that I was loyal to the original either, because that was a big ball of late 70s/80s cheese a lot of the time. :lol   I basically did the same thing too - watch at my leisure, instead of having to wait for the episodes to air (especially during season 4).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: June 18, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »
I thought season 1 was the best and 2 was really good, but i thought the show went downhill from ther, not that it was bad, but like a lot of shows, it got convoluted and lost the spark that the beginning of the series had.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #505 on: June 18, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »
I'm probably going to mostly stay away from this thread again so that I don't accidentally spoil things (I already accidentally found out something I didn't want to know by going to the wiki page for the 1979 series--I was trying to recall some details about one of the characters from back in the original series, and they included something in that entry about what is different in the character in the new series, along with a big spoiler.  >:( ).  I may report on my viewing progress from time to time. 

Online Adami

« Reply #506 on: June 18, 2012, 12:39:04 PM »
I'm probably going to mostly stay away from this thread again so that I don't accidentally spoil things (I already accidentally found out something I didn't want to know by going to the wiki page for the 1979 series--I was trying to recall some details about one of the characters from back in the original series, and they included something in that entry about what is different in the character in the new series, along with a big spoiler.  >:( ).  I may report on my viewing progress from time to time.

My only advice; ignore GuineaPigs hateful rants on the last 2 seasons of BSG. Please for your own sake.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #507 on: June 18, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
No worries.  I pretty much ignore his hateful rants on EVERYTHING. 

It may take me awhile to get through these, unfortunately.  My wife is pretty selective about what sci-fi she likes, and this didn't click with her.  I may try to go back and re-watch the pilot with her to see whether it clicks.  If not, my ability to watch will be greatly slowed down, because my TV time is already severely limited given my busy schedule, and TV time without her is almost nonexistent.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #508 on: June 18, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »
It may take me awhile to get through these, unfortunately.  My wife is pretty selective about what sci-fi she likes, and this didn't click with her.
Divorce is the only course of action.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Adami

« Reply #509 on: June 18, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »
It may take me awhile to get through these, unfortunately.  My wife is pretty selective about what sci-fi she likes, and this didn't click with her.

Don't discount murder.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #510 on: June 18, 2012, 03:36:17 PM »

Don't discount murder.

Of course not.  But I prefer to rely on stealth, and you have an annoying habit of always locking your windows before you go to sleep.  So I wait...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #511 on: June 18, 2012, 03:36:40 PM »
It's a little annoying that ships that the major characters are in somehow miraculously survive attacks that seem to leave all other ships/buildings/planets being nothing more than dust, but whatever--this has been a problem with movies for...probably as long as there have been movies. 
Just to answer this point, it's not a flaw and it's not a coincidental thing that somehow all the major characters survive - these people are the major characters precisely BECAUSE they survive. Roslin is not a big politician, she's an education minister (or something along those lines) but ends up as president simply because all of the people above her are killed. We are introduced to the characters because they are the ones who end up on the run together.

Otherwise I'm glad you're digging it, I personally think it's the greatest TV show ever!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #512 on: June 18, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Roslin was Caprica City's Secretary of Education - very close, Rich. :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #513 on: June 18, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
It's a little annoying that ships that the major characters are in somehow miraculously survive attacks that seem to leave all other ships/buildings/planets being nothing more than dust, but whatever--this has been a problem with movies for...probably as long as there have been movies. 
Just to answer this point, it's not a flaw and it's not a coincidental thing that somehow all the major characters survive - these people are the major characters precisely BECAUSE they survive. Roslin is not a big politician, she's an education minister (or something along those lines) but ends up as president simply because all of the people above her are killed. We are introduced to the characters because they are the ones who end up on the run together.

Well, yes and no.  I mean, we have the premise set up in the beginning that the guys on the Galactica are the main "good guys" that we are supposed to like and identify with.  So obviously, they are going to survive.  Then we have this sequence of events:  30 megaton nukes hit Caprica and are (rightly) so devastating that the flashes from these bombs and their resulting mushroom clouds can be seen from orbit.  But later, when a similar 30 megaton bomb scores a direct hit on the Galactica, it's, "Well, shoot.  It's a miracle we lived; its a blessing no one died; by the grace of God above, LET'S SEAL OFF THAT PART OF THE SHIP RESULTING IN ONLY 85 CASUALTIES AND THEN LET'S GO FIND A DRYDOCK TO JUST REPAIR THE DAMAGE."  :|  Okay...  But, hey, I'm not overly complaining.  You always get a big of that in most stories and have to suspend belief just a bit.  Overall, it's a minor flaw.  But you can't really say it isn't a flaw at all.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #514 on: June 18, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »

Well, yes and no.  I mean, we have the premise set up in the beginning that the guys on the Galactica are the main "good guys" that we are supposed to like and identify with.  So obviously, they are going to survive.  Then we have this sequence of events:  30 megaton nukes hit Caprica and are (rightly) so devastating that the flashes from these bombs and their resulting mushroom clouds can be seen from orbit.  But later, when a similar 30 megaton bomb scores a direct hit on the Galactica, it's, "Well, shoot.  It's a miracle we lived; its a blessing no one died; by the grace of God above, LET'S SEAL OFF THAT PART OF THE SHIP RESULTING IN ONLY 85 CASUALTIES AND THEN LET'S GO FIND A DRYDOCK TO JUST REPAIR THE DAMAGE."  :|  Okay...  But, hey, I'm not overly complaining.  You always get a big of that in most stories and have to suspend belief just a bit.  Overall, it's a minor flaw.  But you can't really say it isn't a flaw at all.

The nuke thing is actually scientifically legit.  Think about the difference between lighting a firecracker with your hand open (stupid, but there's a decent chance you'll still have your hand) and doing it with your hand closed (fingers will be lost).  Unlike on a planet, most of the energy of the blast dissipates away from the Galactica into space.

Also, I have to ask, why do you think Boomer might not be a Cylon?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #515 on: June 19, 2012, 08:20:25 AM »

Legimately?  No good reason whatsoever.  Emotionally?  They just can't do that to such a good character, so I refuse to buy into it full-on until it is just inescapable.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #516 on: June 19, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
There is no way to even hint at what happens with Boomer that isn't a spoiler fest, but...trust me, this is a rare case of where you wind up being able to have your cake AND eat it too. Trust me on this.  :lol

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: June 19, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »
No worries.  I pretty much ignore his hateful rants on EVERYTHING. 

It may take me awhile to get through these, unfortunately.  My wife is pretty selective about what sci-fi she likes, and this didn't click with her.  I may try to go back and re-watch the pilot with her to see whether it clicks.  If not, my ability to watch will be greatly slowed down, because my TV time is already severely limited given my busy schedule, and TV time without her is almost nonexistent.

Based on my experiences sharing the 4 hour pilot with several people, I wouldn't be surprised if she finds it slow and doesn't want to keep watching it. It picks up going forward, so ask her to give it a couple episodes after the miniseries before making a decision, or start with the first episode after the miniseries, filling her in with the necessary details.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #518 on: June 19, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
That makes sense.  But it just seems like such necessary background for what is coming. 

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: June 19, 2012, 12:24:58 PM »
I agree, but it can be a lot to process, especially for someone that is already pre-disposed against sci-fi. Several people I know didn't like the pilot much, but they ended up getting hooked later on.  If she doesn't like it after the first two episodes, she probably won't like it at all.

You said it hadn't clicked with her; how much of it has she seen already?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #520 on: June 19, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »
She has seen some of the pilot, but not the whole thing.  I think all she really got from it is:  There are aliens that look like people, so it's like Terminator (she really liked SCC, by the way), and they are chasing people in outer space.

But regardless, I like it.  Space Mormons FTW!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #521 on: June 19, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
I love the pilot, but it is very much a case of setting things up. The first episode is where it really gets going - I know a fair few people who didn't like the pilot but were absolutely hooked from the first episode.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #522 on: June 19, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »
I must be an anomaly, as I was hooked from the pilot. :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #523 on: June 19, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »

Legimately?  No good reason whatsoever.  Emotionally?  They just can't do that to such a good character, so I refuse to buy into it full-on until it is just inescapable.
Watching that final scene of the miniseries wasn't inescapable enough??

I love the pilot, but it is very much a case of setting things up. The first episode is where it really gets going - I know a fair few people who didn't like the pilot but were absolutely hooked from the first episode.
Indeed! I like that final cliffhanger from the miniseries, but it was "33" that really got me into the series!! What an amazing episode!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: June 19, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »
It's a much more character driven show than the premise makes it out to be. It's really a study of the human condition as opposed to straight sci-fi. There are no aliens or strange worlds.  Technology isn't light years ahead (other than FTL travel).

I've heard of the connection between BSG and Mormanism, and while I'm not the most astute observer of subtlety (or knowledgeable about Mormanism in general), I can't say that it detracts from the show at all.