Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 162159 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #420 on: April 17, 2011, 11:28:27 AM »
The best thing about the ending was that I knew all the characters I hated were about to die from starvation.   :biggrin:

Edit:  That sounds harsh, and I don't mean it.  What I was joking about was that it was such an obvious and forced last minute decision that they forgot that crops aren't going to be domesticated for another 140,000 years.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #421 on: April 17, 2011, 11:32:01 AM »
(MASSIVE SPOLER)
---------------------I thought it was a cheesey yet cool finish when the planet, left to its own devices, became us, rather than weird freakout cycle in that the planet they are on became the Earth of the original tribes-----------------------
That would've actually tied perfectly to the "all of this has happened before and it will happen again" theme of the show.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: April 17, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »
Well, I totally got the idea that if there hasn't been time travel, there's at least been a total "reset."

I'm not sure what you mean by reset?

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the show just takes place 150,000 years ago. Not now, not in the future.

I mean Humanity resets itself. New earth, new start. The fact that we see present day Earth in shambles with references to our world remembered-- like Bob Dylan lyrics-- makes me think that the timeline is cyclic-- all of this has happened before.
The best thing about the ending was that I knew all the characters I hated were about to die from starvation.   :biggrin:

Edit:  That sounds harsh, and I don't mean it.  What I was joking about was that it was such an obvious and forced last minute decision that they forgot that crops aren't going to be domesticated for another 140,000 years.

It wasn't last minute or forced. I just skipped around the commentary, and they knew they were what the ending was going to be from the onset of season four. And come on, you could find a lot about the show that probably wouldn't hold up if you thought about it enough. It's Science Fiction, not science.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #423 on: April 17, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »
We didn't see our earth in shambles. We saw another planet that they happened to call earth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: April 17, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »
We didn't see our earth in shambles. We saw another planet that they happened to call earth.

I'll have to go back and watch again. I thought I remembered making out pretty distinct continents of Earth there.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #425 on: April 17, 2011, 11:49:23 AM »

I'll have to go back and watch again. I thought I remembered making out pretty distinct continents of Earth there.
The planet they showed at the end of season 3 has the same continents as this Earth (they showed the American Continent), but IIRC, the producers used that so that people could quickly recognize that they are going to earth. But the Earth of the thirteenth tribe is not the the same Earth as ours.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: April 17, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
I see. I guess I took the "cyclic" theme of the show to the greatest extent when trying to figure out what happened. The show isn't really a cycle-- it's more like a spiral.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #427 on: April 17, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
I see. I guess I took the "cyclic" theme of the show to the greatest extent when trying to figure out what happened. The show isn't really a cycle-- it's more like a spiral.
Well I think the cyclic theme still holds. They abandon their technology and start anew, and eventually it leads to the present day on our own earth - and then presumably the implication is that we will continue to advance until we come close to destroying ourselves, and so on. Just because it wasn't the same planet doesn't mean the theme isn't there.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #428 on: April 17, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »

The planet they showed at the end of season 3 has the same continents as this Earth (they showed the American Continent), but IIRC, the producers used that so that people could quickly recognize that they are going to earth. But the Earth of the thirteenth tribe is not the the same Earth as ours.
I don't remember spotting that it had the same continents - or at least the americas. All I really remember is that moment when they arrive on the Earth of the original tribe.
Amusing that they only showed the americas, guess they needed as many stupid people to cotton on as possible and showing eurasia would have thrown some people when it was originally aired :p
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #429 on: April 17, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »
Can't read everything, but (EARTH SPOILERS):

At the end of season 3 we see Earth2, which is where the show ends.

In Sometimes a Great Notion we see Earth1, the home of the 13th tribe.  The producers were very smart in the the episode before.  We saw green and blue for oceans and continents, but we saw landmasses we only assumed are our continents.  When you look again they're very generic looking.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: April 17, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »
Well I think the cyclic theme still holds. They abandon their technology and start anew, and eventually it leads to the present day on our own earth - and then presumably the implication is that we will continue to advance until we come close to destroying ourselves, and so on. Just because it wasn't the same planet doesn't mean the theme isn't there.

That's what I meant by a "spiral," not a "cylce." A cycle ends up at a starting point. A spirals ends up at something/somewhere just like the starting point, but a little different.

K, just remembered one thing--- I really wanted closure on Gaius' followers, and its a shame that nothing was done with them. However, that moment where Gaius cries at the end, when he realizes how hard his life is going to be from here on out, is one of the best in the entire show.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #431 on: April 18, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Name all the Battlestar Episodes on Sporcle.

I got 68 out of 79.  I don't believe that's healthy.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #432 on: April 18, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »

I don't think I could name a single one. But I never pay attention to names of episodes of any TV show.

But that's really cool that you got such a good memory. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #433 on: May 02, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
I got the soundtracks over the weekend and been working my way through them, currently on season 3, and my God did Bear McCreary did some fantastic music!! I tip my hat to him! :tup

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #434 on: May 23, 2011, 03:59:01 AM »
He is pretty damn awesome  :heart

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #435 on: May 23, 2011, 07:37:58 AM »

I don't think I could name a single one. But I never pay attention to names of episodes of any TV show.
You can't even remember Razor or The Plan?

Online Adami

« Reply #436 on: May 23, 2011, 12:37:08 PM »

You can't even remember Razor or The Plan?

I don't really consider those episodes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #437 on: May 23, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »
No, they aren't, but they were on the test. :p  You'd get at least 2.

Online Adami

« Reply #438 on: May 23, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »
No, they aren't, but they were on the test. :p  You'd get at least 2.

I got 5 out of 79. Aside from those two I remembered 33, Scar and Miniseries.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #439 on: May 23, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
Heh, I got 33 and Scar as well but didn't realize the miniseries was named so precisely.  I just quit after that since I had no idea.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #440 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:32 PM »
I remember the names of a few of the episodes... but not the order, besides Miniseries, 33 and Water.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: June 08, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »
Amazon has the box sets marked down by about 60% today only! I'm really tempted to get it because you'll never find it cheaper than this. I just spent a bunch of money on a The Dear Hunter box set though, so I'm trying to make up my mind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=xs_gb_A3N1RCPEYPH9IV?ie=UTF8&docId=1000666761&pf_rd_p=441937901&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1QTHG4EX0G4ZY8F9KMEH
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #442 on: June 08, 2011, 09:47:14 AM »
*inserts derivative, predictable comment about season 4*
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: June 08, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »
At that price, season 4 is only about $20! I'd say it's still worth it.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #444 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:30 AM »
SPOILERS

I'd pay $5 for Cally getting killed, and $5 for Boomer getting killed.

And 25 cents for the first episode.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: June 08, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
I just caved in and got it. I've been meaning to get it since it came out so I couldn't pass up the price.

Two ~$80 purchases in as many days though. My bank account is hurting!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: June 08, 2011, 01:43:47 PM »

Thats scary man.... :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: June 08, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
I'm watching the series again for the second time.  Loved it the first time, and even more this time.  My GF who does NOT like sci-fi per se.... absolutely LOVES it!!!!  Tonight is the last 3 episodes...  I'm so excited for her to see the end :)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #448 on: June 08, 2011, 01:50:09 PM »
I just caved in and got it. I've been meaning to get it since it came out so I couldn't pass up the price.
:tup

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: June 09, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »
So!!  We finished it up with the 3 part "Daybreak" episodes... needless to say...we were both shedding some tears when Roslyn went......  and when Starbuck dissapeared.  What a fantastic series.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #450 on: June 09, 2011, 04:41:32 PM »
So!!  We finished it up with the 3 part "Daybreak" episodes... needless to say...we were both shedding some tears when Roslyn went......  and when Starbuck dissapeared.  What a fantastic series.

What are these words doing so close together

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: June 09, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »

ummm...you lost me    ???.... Im a lil slow at times   :biggrin:

Online Adami

« Reply #452 on: June 09, 2011, 04:44:59 PM »

ummm...you lost me    ???.... Im a lil slow at times   :biggrin:

He hates the final season and just about everything about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: June 09, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »
So!!  We finished it up with the 3 part "Daybreak" episodes... needless to say...we were both shedding some tears when Roslyn went......  and when Starbuck dissapeared.  What a fantastic series.

ummm...you lost me    ???.... Im a lil slow at times   :biggrin:

He hates the final season and just about everything about it.

Ahhh...  Gracias  ;D  I loved the last season.  I think they answered most if not all the major points.  I hate when a show leaves you hanging, and that didn't happen here.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #454 on: June 09, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »
Yeah I love the whole show, but especially seasons 3 and 4. SO EPIC!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.