Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 165163 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1365 on: May 24, 2019, 02:43:57 AM »
Screw it, I'll do a re-watch. There's no way I'll be able to keep pace with you Gary, but following this thread and reading your thoughts will be too difficult if I'm not watching the show too! :lol

There are other things I'm watching but the summer is pretty quiet for current shows, so I'll watch BSG around those other things and should be able to make my way through it over a bit of time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1366 on: May 24, 2019, 07:36:03 AM »
One thing I noticed was the number of actors/actresses that I've seen in a ton of other series over the years. This cast is choc full of the 'who's who' of actors/actresses that 'you' don't know the name of but recognize immediately.  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1367 on: May 28, 2019, 07:45:04 AM »
So I'm 8 episodes in to Season 1 and liking it a lot. I can tell it's starting to build a bit more. Still have no idea on why the 'hot' cylon is so fixated on God....even this past episode was the one when Starbuck interrogated a cylon and he was speaking very 'religiously'. I'm sure that's heading somewhere but it's weird to me right now.

not sure what the point of the cylon and Helo on Caprica is yet. Seems like a random storyline but I'll trust it has a point.

So, I'm just trying to plug alone....again, I like it and am certainly invested at this point.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1368 on: May 28, 2019, 08:09:54 AM »
So I'm 8 episodes in to Season 1 and liking it a lot. I can tell it's starting to build a bit more. Still have no idea on why the 'hot' cylon is so fixated on God....even this past episode was the one when Starbuck interrogated a cylon and he was speaking very 'religiously'. I'm sure that's heading somewhere but it's weird to me right now.

not sure what the point of the cylon and Helo on Caprica is yet. Seems like a random storyline but I'll trust it has a point.

So, I'm just trying to plug alone....again, I like it and am certainly invested at this point.

The religions of the cylons and the humans play a very central role in everything that happens on the show.  That will take many twists and turns throughout the course of the story, but it will drive virtually everything.  That's about all I can say about that right now.

Caprica remains important for a lot of reasons, even though it is destroyed.  That storyline may seem like a tangent now, but with almost every storyline in the show, it has a role to play.  You will undoubtedly reach a point very soon with that storyline where your head will explode trying to figure out how what is about to happen could possibly work.  :lol

Looking back, I didn't appreciate 33 and Water as much at the time as I do now looking back.  But I like how the show deals with the real, practical issues of what it is presenting, like how sleep deprivation and replenishing basic resources are crucial.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1369 on: May 28, 2019, 08:21:39 AM »
That's the beauty of BSG, the way it brings together big concepts around religion, politics and humanity, gritty exploration of practical issues about how communities behave or are affected in certain situations, and really strong personal stories. There are some shows that do/did one or two of those better than BSG but to do all three to such a high standard is I think part of why I love the show so much.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1370 on: May 28, 2019, 01:27:58 PM »
That's the beauty of BSG, the way it brings together big concepts around religion, politics and humanity, gritty exploration of practical issues about how communities behave or are affected in certain situations, and really strong personal stories. There are some shows that do/did one or two of those better than BSG but to do all three to such a high standard is I think part of why I love the show so much.

I am appreciating that aspect.....even the last episode I watched was intriguing as Starbuck kind of 'connected' with the Cylon she was interrogating.....holding her hand to his as he was purged out of the airlock and said a prayer for him. That episode was really well done.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1371 on: May 28, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »
All I can say Gary is buckle up, it's gonna be a ripper of a ride, and trust me when I say any notions you get of the story will be eventually crushed. This show is so fucking awesome. I just did a run last year, but may do another after I plow through Good Omens.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1372 on: May 29, 2019, 01:47:33 AM »
Loved the first two seasons and the first 4 episodes of season 3.   But after Exodus pt2 the whole show completely falls apart.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1373 on: May 29, 2019, 02:01:05 AM »
Loved the first two seasons and the first 4 episodes of season 3.   But after Exodus pt2 the whole show completely falls apart.
No.

Just....

no.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1374 on: May 29, 2019, 07:24:13 AM »
If by "falls apart" he means "took such an unexpected series of twists to somehow become even better," then I completely agree with him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1375 on: May 31, 2019, 03:01:19 AM »
No.

Just....

no.

Went from an interesting conflict between Science and Religion - do just Religion.  The story fell apart for me anyway, I had very little interest in that side and things and the plot being driven by 'faith'.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1376 on: May 31, 2019, 05:27:14 AM »
No.

Just....

no.

Went from an interesting conflict between Science and Religion - do just Religion.  The story fell apart for me anyway, I had very little interest in that side and things and the plot being driven by 'faith'.
I find it quite interesting that you interpret it that way. I don't agree at all that that's what happened.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1377 on: May 31, 2019, 07:53:22 AM »
Yeah, I think he was watching a different show.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: June 02, 2019, 08:36:53 AM »
Two episodes in to S2. I will say the admiral getting shot caught me way off guard. Although looking back should have totally expected it.

Really enjoying the show....I’m intrigued at where they’re taking this ‘religious’ angle they’re playing for the cylons.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1379 on: June 03, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »
I was hoping to download to my phone and be able to watch a bunch on some upcoming travel.  But it is no longer on Netflix, apparently.  :(

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1380 on: June 03, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »
It's now on Amazon Prime in the UK, so have started my re-watch. :D Only a few episodes in and it'll probably take a little while as I'll always be prioritising new episodes/seasons of stuff as it airs and becomes available.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: June 06, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
I believe I'm on EP8 of S2....really digging the show. I'm liking the infusion of this religious/political/military and how to navigate all three.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1382 on: June 07, 2019, 06:05:29 AM »
I find it quite interesting that you interpret it that way. I don't agree at all that that's what happened.

Fair enough.  That's my own take from it.   As I said it started off with an interesting mix of science vs religion - then when it came to answering all the mysteries and questions that had been thrown up it mostly ditched the science and resolved everything with religion/faith.   Which from a personal point of view left me unsatisfied - I won't mention to much, firstly because my memory isn't up to it and secondly because people are watching this for the first time and I don't wish to spoil it (as they like you and many others, may love how it resolves).

So yeah for me 2 and a bit seasons were fantastic (Razor was good too),  after that it fall away (somewhat like Lost).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 06:52:26 AM by soupytwist »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: June 12, 2019, 12:34:51 PM »
Through two seasons. Man, I am really liking this. I'm curious to see how Gaius and "his" #6 interact now that they're back together? That was an interesting twist to see that she was imagining Gaius when she was reborn. I'd started to think (maybe still do) that Gaius was/is a Cylon as well....and that his model was there to welcome her. But, it's interesting to see them use that same dynamic with her now. I've not watched any episodes in S3 yet so I don't know if now that they're in the same proximity that they'll be 'imagining' one another.

I am torn on Starbuck. One moment I'm digging her character and in the next I'm super annoyed. Col. Tigh is annoying to me also but not too bad. I didn't like Apollo initially but now dig him. Admiral Adama is pretty fn killer IMO.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1384 on: June 12, 2019, 02:04:03 PM »
Adama is awesome. Tigh and Starbuck are pretty deeply flawed but have fantastic story arcs, especially Tigh in season 3 (which I won't go into any detail about of course because spoilers!).

Really glad you're digging it so much. I'm only a few episodes into my rewatch as a couple of new seasons of things have dropped or about to drop, but I think after Jessica Jones season 3 there'll be a bit of a gap to blast through some BSG.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: June 12, 2019, 02:47:29 PM »
Tigh and Starbuck are pretty deeply flawed but have fantastic story arcs

It's weird because I like them both but then they do/say something that really irks me. Tigh trying to rig the election really ticked me off. And, give credit to the actress....but when they have Starbuck 'drunk' she is freaking annoying. The way she behaved after rescuing 'her man' in front of Apollo really boiled my blood.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1386 on: June 12, 2019, 03:02:03 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1387 on: June 12, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1388 on: June 17, 2019, 01:38:25 PM »
Started S3 last night after a few days off.....I really dig the vibe...only two episodes in but I love the fact that they  have made Apollo overweight and 'soft' mentally. They've actually done a great job with many of the characters showing what a long, hard year can do to people....then 4 hard months under cylon control.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1389 on: June 17, 2019, 01:41:16 PM »
Yeah the story telling and character arcs are really great around the start of season 3. Seeing how the Cylon occupation affects Tigh is really gripping as well.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1390 on: June 17, 2019, 01:55:11 PM »
SPOILERS:

Boomer is a Cylon

:sosayweall:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: June 19, 2019, 08:27:59 AM »
(7) episodes in to S3 and this show is freaking awesome. This might be my favorite season yet. The aftermath of the cylon occupation and the how those on the ground have been left to deal with it is really well done. Especially Col. Tigh....man, what an arc for his character.

I like how they're showing more and more of the cylon side of things as well. This is such a cool show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1392 on: June 19, 2019, 10:37:53 AM »
You just made it through a VERY cool, very intense stretch--one of my favorites in the entire series.  The next few episodes kind of felt like treading water a bit to me.  I mean, they definitely move the ball.  But the focus also felt to me like it drifted a bit until things were positioned for the next big stretch of events.  If you find yourself feeling the same way, just rest assured that the series is indeed building toward something very big in the not distant future. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: June 19, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »
You just made it through a VERY cool, very intense stretch--one of my favorites in the entire series.  The next few episodes kind of felt like treading water a bit to me.  I mean, they definitely move the ball.  But the focus also felt to me like it drifted a bit until things were positioned for the next big stretch of events.  If you find yourself feeling the same way, just rest assured that the series is indeed building toward something very big in the not distant future.

I think this is one of the benefits of binge watching  :lol   If there are 'treading water' moments in a series it's gone in a flash because I typically watch 3-4....maybe 5 episodes at a time when I'm 'on' a series. Those moments usually don't feel like their treading water because you get through them in a jiffy.

But I agree.....these first 5 or 6 episodes of S3 have been my favorite part of the series thus far.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1394 on: June 19, 2019, 11:11:53 AM »
One of the cool things about the series is that, even when it does feel like it is going off on tangents, it is usually doing so to bide its time and set the pieces in place for a big payoff down the road. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1395 on: June 19, 2019, 02:09:59 PM »
(7) episodes in to S3 and this show is freaking awesome. This might be my favorite season yet. The aftermath of the cylon occupation and the how those on the ground have been left to deal with it is really well done. Especially Col. Tigh....man, what an arc for his character.
TOLD YOU. :biggrin: The moments at the start of episode four (Exodus Part 2) get to me every time.

I think this is one of the benefits of binge watching  :lol   If there are 'treading water' moments in a series it's gone in a flash because I typically watch 3-4....maybe 5 episodes at a time when I'm 'on' a series. Those moments usually don't feel like their treading water because you get through them in a jiffy.
Totally. The benefit of weekly watching is having time to reflect, discuss, speculate, and in general I prefer the experience. But binge watching definitely helps with stretches that are weaker or slower (although in BSG's case it's still really good stuff, just less thrilling than the best moments).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1396 on: July 03, 2019, 03:57:16 PM »
Gary, where are you now?  We need our vicarious fix through you.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: July 03, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »
Gary, where are you now?  We need our vicarious fix through you.

Just finished Ep. 13 of S3. Haven’t been able to watch much the past couple weeks. Just been slammed with stuff. Hoping to knock out S3 while I’m off work the next few days BUT. Stranger Things S3 comes out also so that may take precedent.

A

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: July 16, 2019, 01:33:53 PM »
Done with S3. I never really bought that Starbuck was dead so her 'reveal' in the final episode was really cool but not surprising. Given that they revealed 4 of the last 5 Cylons in that episode....then she shows up....i wouldn't be surprised if she's the 5th unknown Cylon.

I really liked the trial of Gaez and how Apollo tore everyone a new A$$hole when he was called to the stand. That was really well done. I've swayed back and forth about if I liked the President or not and at the moment I'm in the camp of not really liking her. She has some good moments and some bad...but her handling of Gaez and the revenge she was seeking was disconcerting to me.

I'm just waiting for the scene where Admiral Adama apologizes to Apollo and tells him he was right all along. I can totally see that happening.

All in all this series has been pretty freaking awesome. So glad I took it on and all the enthusiasm from the posts from you guys recommending it is well warranted. Can't wait to see how they wrap this series up and where it goes. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1399 on: July 16, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »
???  Who is Gaez?

Anyhow, the trial was probably my least favorite part of the entire series.  But the reveal at the end of S3 was EPIC!  Loved it!  Things get really complicated going forward, but in a good way.  At one point or another, you will question virtually everything you know/believe about the show.  Enjoy.