Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 165783 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1085 on: December 06, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1086 on: December 10, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »
Wow, so...No Exit was just crammed FULL of stuff.  REALLY cool episode.  But Cavill leaving Boomer alone with Ellen and then Boomer helping Ellen escape when Cavill was allegedly preparing to kill Ellen by "surgery"...  Pretty obvious ploy to get Boomer to be able to find and lead Cavill back to the fleet, I'm thinking.  Eh, but whatchagonna do?  He had to find them eventually.  Not sure *I* could have come up with a more creative way for it to happen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1087 on: December 10, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
So how about The Oath and Blood on the Scales?  Especially as an ex-military person.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1088 on: December 10, 2012, 02:43:21 PM »
Make my blood boil.  :lol  I thought they were pretty well done. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1089 on: December 10, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
Make my blood boil.

In what way?

:lol  I thought they were pretty well done.

Definitely.  Especially the first one.  Just as a piece of drama, the whole thing works beautifully.  I'm not as big a fan of the second part, but it has some great moments.  The final Gaeta/Baltar scene is masterful.  And then the very last scene is brutal.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1090 on: December 10, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »
Make my blood boil.

In what way?

Seeing innocent people being killed to advance a political agenda.  Unjustified mutiny.  etc.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1091 on: December 10, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Gaeta/Baltar at the end really might have brought them up to one of the great relationships on the show, I thought.  It was more occasional, but post New Caprica the interactions involving these two were pretty intense.  Gaeta's sense of betrayal took him to be even more despicable than Baltar.  They were like an odd couple with a slow role reversal.

Did you watch the webisodes prior to Sometimes a Great Nation?  It reveals what Baltar whispered to Gaete prior to being butterfingered.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1092 on: December 10, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »
No.  Where do I find them?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1093 on: December 10, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »
You'll have to do some searching, they aren't on the boxsets.  It's called "The Face of the Enemy."  I think this is where the studio got upset regarding the webisodes because they felt it was an episode and not promotional material.  They thought they should have the rights to it, or something, and prevented it from getting a wide release.  I think it even got taken down pretty shortly after being originally put up.  Shame it wasn't on any boxsets.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1094 on: December 10, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »
No.  Where do I find them?

Sorry for not mentioning these to you.  They provide crucial explanation for why Gaeta did what he did.  It doesn't really make him more sympathetic (it might actually be less sympathetic), but it makes a lot more sense. When Baltar says "our little secret,"  you know what he means.

Seeing innocent people being killed to advance a political agenda.  Unjustified mutiny.  etc.

I do wonder if these episodes would have played better if they were played more morally ambiguously.  I think Gaeta comes off as morally debatable in the end.  He thought he was doing the right thing.  He at least tried.  Zarek ended up being a bad guy, but really we always knew this was true.

Really though, Gaeta was kind of an idiot.  Zarek was right in that Mutinies mean business.  Gaeta was more interested in his idealism than realistically considering the consequences of his actions, which is why he didn't fire at the Basestar (other than the fact that the Basestar would have ripped Galactica apart).  Relative to their agenda, Laird (the Pegasus deck chief) couldn't be allowed to live.  Killing the Quorum was a bad PR move, but having a unified voice advocating against you would have been even worse.

In a sense, the story was about this.  But it's not interesting relative to the fact that the good guys are the good guys.  It would have been more interesting if Gaeta's revolution was something that needed to happen, but his own naivete ruined it.  But really, the fleet needed the Cylon jump drives.  Adama was still the best guy to command Galactica.  Gaeta was just wrong.

I'd rather it play out the way it did than have the good guys not be the good guys.  But I wish there was more complexity somehow.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:51:23 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1095 on: December 10, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »
It would've been very easy to write a second side to the story.

For example: what do you think of the American government offering Nazi scientists and doctors, many of whom were either complicit or directly involved in crimes against humanity, safe haven and employment after World War II?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1096 on: December 10, 2012, 04:20:19 PM »

For example: what do you think of the American government offering Nazi scientists and doctors, many of whom were either complicit or directly involved in crimes against humanity, safe haven and employment after World War II?

No comment because I don't know about it in any meaningful detail.

What's the relation between that and BSG?
Over and over again

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1097 on: December 10, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »

This is true, but I think it would have really lost focus in the grand scheme of things. I mean, I know you hated the direction they went in, but unless they just went 100% into the political/social aspects of life and nothing else, then stuff like that just kind of had to be put aside.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1098 on: December 10, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »

This is true, but I think it would have really lost focus in the grand scheme of things. I mean, I know you hated the direction they went in, but unless they just went 100% into the political/social aspects of life and nothing else, then stuff like that just kind of had to be put aside.

You could keep it fairly simple.  Crewmembers, who've fought long and hard and lost many friends and family to the Cylons, all of a sudden feel betrayed when the fleet decides to team up with a bunch.  They resent Adama and Roslin for keeping things secret from them.  They hear that Adama's being all buddy-buddy with people who they thought they could trust, but are actually Cylons.  With Adama and Roslin acting unilaterally to ally themselves with the toasters that murdered all of humanity, dissent leads to a mutiny.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1099 on: December 10, 2012, 04:30:47 PM »
Well didn't they do that? Just not at the forefront or in a super crazy dramatic way?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1100 on: December 10, 2012, 04:47:02 PM »
???  Uh...yeah, that's exactly how they did it.  :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1101 on: December 10, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
Not really.  In fact, prior to the mutiny, it's only Gaeta and Zarek who show any dissent.

Besides, both are given pretty unsympathetic treatment by the show.  Zarek especially (who sadly turns back into a 2-dimensional cartoon for these episodes), whereas Gaeta is more treated as a naďve fool.

The end of the mutiny is especially galling, because it ends up abandoning any pretext to there being two sides to the issue.  Adama's cause is so righteous that all he has to do to end the mutiny is literally walk down a hallway.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1102 on: December 10, 2012, 05:17:26 PM »
Honestly, I don't think you've really even seen a single episode of BSG.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1103 on: December 10, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »
Not really.  In fact, prior to the mutiny, it's only Gaeta and Zarek who show any dissent.

Wait, what?  In the episode before the Mutiny, we're shown/told that at least a third of the fleet is refusing to have the Cylon jump drives installed.  The last third of the episode is about the Tyllium ship jumping away to force Adama's hand.

Besides, both are given pretty unsympathetic treatment by the show.  Zarek especially (who sadly turns back into a 2-dimensional cartoon for these episodes), whereas Gaeta is more treated as a naďve fool.

Zarek wasn't a two-dimensional cartoon.  He was a bad person.  In fairness, the show wasn't sure what they wanted him to be, but he definitely wasn't unrealistic.

The end of the mutiny is especially galling, because it ends up abandoning any pretext to there being two sides to the issue.  Adama's cause is so righteous that all he has to do to end the mutiny is literally walk down a hallway.

It's not just Adama walking down a hallway.

A major theme of the mutiny episodes is that while Zarek understands the practicalities of what they're doing better than Gaeta, he also goes too far.  You have to remember too that the Mutineers were in the minority and that Adama generally speaking was very well liked.  Within the context of the show, it made sense.  He didn't just walk down the hallway.  A whole anti-mutiny movement was happening around the CIC, and it came a-knocking.

I agree that it could have been better.  It was probably for the worse that Gaeta didn't know what he was doing, because it made him so much less credible.  It also would have been good if Adama had gone too far in some way.  Everyone needed to have the jump drives.  Period.  It was more unreasonable to refuse the drives than it was reasonable to fight against them.  You didn't need to think the mutiny was right, but you needed to think they had more a point than it did.
Over and over again

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1104 on: December 10, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »

:lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1105 on: December 10, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »

:lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1106 on: December 10, 2012, 06:11:42 PM »
The Face of the Enemy

Oh!  Just...WOW!  :omg:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: December 10, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »

While I do disagree completely with everything GP says about the series, what he's voicing is pretty much consensus for the dissatisfied end of the fan spectrum.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1108 on: December 11, 2012, 03:26:30 AM »

I could say the same, but I realize that art is subjective and my critical opinion isn't fact.

Wait, what?  In the episode before the Mutiny, we're shown/told that at least a third of the fleet is refusing to have the Cylon jump drives installed.  The last third of the episode is about the Tyllium ship jumping away to force Adama's hand.

I'm not sure if refusing the Cylon technology is the exact same.  Certainly amongst the crew you don't see any hostility, even when you have outed Cylons reassuming their rank and position.  And the Tylium ship was manipulated by Zarek, wasn't it?

Zarek wasn't a two-dimensional cartoon.  He was a bad person.  In fairness, the show wasn't sure what they wanted him to be, but he definitely wasn't unrealistic.

Bah, Zarek's turn in the fourth season really annoyed me.  He started out being a transparent villain, albeit an entertaining one, but the shading he got in the third season made him a really interesting character.  Having him turn back into a scenery-chewing villain with no redeeming qualities, looking out for only himself was disappointing.  It illustrates the show's bad habit of manipulating characters for the purpose of plot that happened a lot in the fourth season.

[quote[

It's not just Adama walking down a hallway.

A major theme of the mutiny episodes is that while Zarek understands the practicalities of what they're doing better than Gaeta, he also goes too far.  You have to remember too that the Mutineers were in the minority and that Adama generally speaking was very well liked.  Within the context of the show, it made sense.  He didn't just walk down the hallway.  A whole anti-mutiny movement was happening around the CIC, and it came a-knocking.
[/quote]

While the mutineers may have been a minority, they also had widespread support, both explicit and tacit.  There's simply too many people involved.

I agree that it could have been better.  It was probably for the worse that Gaeta didn't know what he was doing, because it made him so much less credible.  It also would have been good if Adama had gone too far in some way.  Everyone needed to have the jump drives.  Period.  It was more unreasonable to refuse the drives than it was reasonable to fight against them.  You didn't need to think the mutiny was right, but you needed to think they had more a point than it did.

One could very reasonably argue (as Gaeta did) that Adama had gone too far previously.  Remember when everyone was obsessed the concept of democracy and having a civil society?  At this point in BSG, things are very much an autocracy, and Adama ordering civilian ships to accept tech they didn't want, without giving explanation or choice, represents this.

What I mean is that previously, BSG had gone through some lengths to represent both sides of an issue (hell, they even humanized the fucking Nazi-collaborators in the Vichy that was New Caprica).  With the mutiny, the show was very much on Adama's side, portraying the mutiny as both completely unjustified, and its leaders as a bloodthirsty madman and fool respectively.  It felt like a cop-out.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1109 on: December 12, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »

I could say the same, but I realize that art is subjective and my critical opinion isn't fact.
You sure do act like it is.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1110 on: December 13, 2012, 09:17:40 AM »
Watched Deadlock last night.  Wow.  This has to be one of my favorite episodes if for no other reason than for the subtle drama.  There was a lot of hugely emotional stuff going on that was handled so delicately.  5/5 stars.

Only four episodes to go, and so much ground to cover.  I suspect that some of the issues that seem "important" will remain unresolved at the end, but here are some thoughts I am grappling with:

An integrated socieity:  This is a very interesting concept.  The writers have done a pretty good job of building up to a point where I think we as the audience, and many of the characters in the series, realize that integration is the only hope of either race surviving, but at the same time, there are seemingly almost insurmountable obstacles.  For instance, the Cylons tried to completely exterminate humanity.  Completely.  They actively tried, and mostly succeeded.  And in doing so, they completely altered just about everything about how human society functions.  This creates some obvious problems on both sides.  For instance, how do humans forgive that?  How do the Cylons who still think humanity's extinction is the way to go find a place alongside humans in a new society?

Caprica Six:  Along with the above, there are so many complicated issues surrounder her.  She is basically directly responsible for the destruction of Caprica and for the deaths of many.  How do humans reconcile keeping her alive and free?  How does she deal with it?  I know the latter was somewhat dealt with a few episodes back, but this is a much bigger issue than a few lines of dialog should be able to dispose of.

The reckoning:  The rest of the Cylon fleet is out there somewhere.  The Ones are going to have to be dealt with.  But I wonder how?  And even if they are, what about the Fours and Fives?

Ellen and Boomer:  Yeah, so...how exactly did they find the fleet?  Again, was it all a plot between Bommer and the Ones?  Will that be used to find the fleet and force a final confrontation?  If so, how can the fleet possibly survive when they are so hopelessly outmatched and outgunned?

The Centurions:  Because of what they represent, I see no way the presence of Centurions could be accepted by humans in any sort of integrated society.  This makes for some complicated issues.  And to further complicate things, somewhere along the way, the issue of whether to remove their inhibitors is surely likely to come up again.  Hmm...

Three:  Oh yeah, what about her?  It seemed like she just remained behind on Earth.  Is her character just going to be abandoned?  That would be hard to believe.

Starbuck?  What of Starbuck?  Yeah, we still haven't forgotten.

Lots and lots of issues.  Can't wait to see how this all wraps up.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1111 on: December 13, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »
Don't you just love Baltar?  I love the scene where Adama arms Baltar's crazies. :lol  Season 4 was such a great treatment for his character.

The Centurions:  Because of what they represent, I see no way the presence of Centurions could be accepted by humans in any sort of integrated society.  This makes for some complicated issues.  And to further complicate things, somewhere along the way, the issue of whether to remove their inhibitors is surely likely to come up again.  Hmm...
They settle this issue very well, in my opinion.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1112 on: December 13, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
Watched Deadlock last night.  Wow.  This has to be one of my favorite episodes if for no other reason than for the subtle drama.  There was a lot of hugely emotional stuff going on that was handled so delicately.  5/5 stars.

Interesting.  This is the only episode of the second half of season four I don't like.  You probably saw it a lot differently than I did.  Please elaborate.

I suspect that some of the issues that seem "important" will remain unresolved at the end, but here are some thoughts I am grappling with:

Don't worry about that.

Not every issue is dealt with directly.  Not every issue is fully explained.  But nothing is just conveniently ignored during the final episode.

An integrated socieity:  This is a very interesting concept.  The writers have done a pretty good job of building up to a point where I think we as the audience, and many of the characters in the series, realize that integration is the only hope of either race surviving, but at the same time, there are seemingly almost insurmountable obstacles.  For instance, the Cylons tried to completely exterminate humanity.  Completely.  They actively tried, and mostly succeeded.  And in doing so, they completely altered just about everything about how human society functions.  This creates some obvious problems on both sides.  For instance, how do humans forgive that?  How do the Cylons who still think humanity's extinction is the way to go find a place alongside humans in a new society?

The series uses this tension to create one of its most minor but great moments.

Caprica Six:  Along with the above, there are so many complicated issues surrounder her.  She is basically directly responsible for the destruction of Caprica and for the deaths of many.  How do humans reconcile keeping her alive and free?  How does she deal with it?  I know the latter was somewhat dealt with a few episodes back, but this is a much bigger issue than a few lines of dialog should be able to dispose of.

You can probably guess what's coming.  But the series handles it the right way.

The reckoning:  The rest of the Cylon fleet is out there somewhere.  The Ones are going to have to be dealt with.  But I wonder how?  And even if they are, what about the Fours and Fives?

The ones/fours/fives are all still together.  We'll get back to them.

Ellen and Boomer:  Yeah, so...how exactly did they find the fleet?  Again, was it all a plot between Bommer and the Ones?  Will that be used to find the fleet and force a final confrontation?  If so, how can the fleet possibly survive when they are so hopelessly outmatched and outgunned?

Wait on this.

Dealt with.

Three:  Oh yeah, what about her?  It seemed like she just remained behind on Earth.  Is her character just going to be abandoned?  That would be hard to believe.

She's done.  Not sure why she stayed on Earth, but it's not totally OOC.  She was looking for something bigger, and that something bigger was a wasteland.

The next episode (Someone to Watch Over Me) really gets into this.  Every season has the obligatory Intense Starbuck character story written by Bradley Thompson and David Weddle, and you're there.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1113 on: December 14, 2012, 08:46:49 AM »

Interesting.  This is the only episode of the second half of season four I don't like.  You probably saw it a lot differently than I did.  Please elaborate.

In short, it just started tieing up a lot of loose ends and I am beginning to see that the final direction for those loose ends, while being FAR less from ideal, is satisfying.  And the humanity of a lot of the characters, both human and Cylon, is starting to show through in how a lot of them are coming to terms in comletely different ways from the fact that the situation they are in and the only possible ways of coping with what lies ahead are...just impossible, but that they have to simply get a grip on that and muddle through the best they can even if they have to do so in ways that are contrary to every possible preconceived notion they may have held about how the world should work.  It's just all so...human.  Does that make sense?  More later.

The next episode (Someone to Watch Over Me) really gets into this.  Every season has the obligatory Intense Starbuck character story written by Bradley Thompson and David Weddle, and you're there.

Yeah, so...although it was against my better judgment given how busy I am and how little sleep I am now running on, I watched Someone To Watch Over Me Last Night, and...Chief...oh, Chief...why?  *shakes head*

But on to Starbuck...Yeah, so, that's really interesting.  I simultaneously laughed out loud and did an :omg: when (1) I realized that what Hera gave Starbuck were notes to a song, and (2) again when I realized what the song was.  And with regard to Starbuck, yeah, that sheds a little light.  But it also raises a LOT more questions than it answers, and ultimately just leaves us saying, "okay, so she somehow has a VERY direct connection to the Cylongs...but what is it?"  Somehow, I can't shake the suspicion that we are going to be left hanging.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1114 on: December 17, 2012, 08:23:17 AM »
Done.  Reaction:  whoa...  More later.  But I will say, having now watched the whole season, TSCC was SO well done and such a strong series, but since they ultimately never got to finish and were cut short after 2 seasons, I have to give it to BSG for best all-time sci-fi series.  :tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: December 17, 2012, 08:37:15 AM »
Never saw TSSC, but I agree about Battlestar. It has its ups and downs, like everything, but the ups are really good and way more frequent than the downs, and ultimately the end is just do damn satisfying.

BTW, I lose it every time I get to the part where Gaius breaks down while saying “I know about farming” or something of the like. Something about seeing someone as deeply flawed as Gaius finally humbled and brought to his knees is really touching. It’s really bittersweet; Gaius has been a really shitty person, but now at the very least he’s got a chance to start again, even if it means having to toil at a hard life. It also goes well with the subtle parallels between Gaius and Six and Adam and Eve, the “first parents” who get cast out of the Garden: Paradise is “lost”, but at the same time now there’s the possibility for repentance and final reconciliation. It was the best possible ending to Gaius’ arc, which was maybe the most consistently awesome in the whole show.

Also, Adama and Rosalin… yeah, I lose it there too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1116 on: December 17, 2012, 08:52:09 AM »
Agreed on pretty much all of that.  I will say that during the entire Daybreak finale, I was feeling like the flashback scenes to Caprica were excessively long.  By the very end, it actually made a lot of sense, because the juxtaposition of those scenes with the scenes at the end on Earth really made you appreciate just how far these characters had come.  But I still feel like there was too much. 

One thing that wasn't clear to me.  Maybe there were enough clues and I missed it.  Or maybe it was left intentionally vague.  There was some reference to it in the conversation between Adama and Roslyn when they are sitting under the tree, but again, it was very vaguely worded.  So is the "Earth" that they settled on the same "Earth" they previously visited that had been nuked, or a different one that they just renamed Earth?  I can se arguments both ways.  Not sure what the correct answer is.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1117 on: December 17, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »
This is a new Earth, not the same one that was the 13th Colony.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1118 on: December 17, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »
BTW, I lose it every time I get to the part where Gaius breaks down while saying “I know about farming” or something of the like.

Yep.

Also, Adama and Rosalin… yeah, I lose it there too.

Of course.

One thing that wasn't clear to me.  Maybe there were enough clues and I missed it.  Or maybe it was left intentionally vague.  There was some reference to it in the conversation between Adama and Roslyn when they are sitting under the tree, but again, it was very vaguely worded.  So is the "Earth" that they settled on the same "Earth" they previously visited that had been nuked, or a different one that they just renamed Earth?  I can se arguments both ways.  Not sure what the correct answer is.

At the end of season 3, they show Earth with the Continental United States.  That's the Earth from the end of the show and, within the reality of the show, the Earth we live on today.

When they get to 13th Colony Earth, you'll notice that you can never see any distinct Earth-like shapes on it.  It's a different planet.

The writers did a good job hiding it.
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1119 on: December 17, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
Oh, the BSG finale.