Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148719 times)

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)
« Reply #945 on: November 01, 2018, 08:25:58 AM »
"Tate sings better..."

???

I have been a HUGE fan and follower since the EP, and I haven't heard Tate sing as well as TLT in over 10 years.

I don't know if that's the correct comparison he was referring to.  I read it as "Tate sings better [now, than he has in years past] and his band is better [than previous versions of his band]"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #946 on: November 01, 2018, 08:32:19 AM »
"Tate sings better..."

???

I have been a HUGE fan and follower since the EP, and I haven't heard Tate sing as well as TLT in over 10 years.

As I have been as well. I wasn't comparing the two in my original post. Why are you? But since you wish to compare, La Torre has better high range. But his voice is thinner, and as a result, I don't think his voice is suited to really sing anything from Empire and PL. Today, I'd take Tate over La Torre on most stuff Mindcrime through PL. Whereas, La Torre has an edge on the EP-Rage.

But honestly? I don't care. This shouldn't be a comparison thing. This thread isn't about current era Queensryche. It's about Tate's band, and what they are doing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: November 01, 2018, 08:33:25 AM »
"Tate sings better..."

???

I don't know if that's the correct comparison he was referring to.  I read it as "Tate sings better [now, than he has in years past] and his band is better [than previous versions of his band]"

Yes. This. I wasn't even comparing the two at all. I just meant Tate is singing better, and his band is playing better these days in comparison to six or seven years ago.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #948 on: November 01, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »
Ok...I retract the comparison and simply state that I haven't heard Tate sing decently in over 10 years.   

How far has he tuned down the music to make it work? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: November 01, 2018, 09:05:07 AM »
Ok...I retract the comparison and simply state that I haven't heard Tate sing decently in over 10 years.   

How far has he tuned down the music to make it work?

Too far in some cases. I mean, I saw him on the American Soldier tour in 2009, and half the stuff was a half-step, which was fine. I saw him again acoustically in 2017, so eight years later. He sounded pretty good. Then this year, I saw him do all of Mindcrime,  plus some Empire tunes. Sounded like everything was was at least a half-step. And Tate had some good moments, and some cringe moments. The music was OK, but at some points it sounded a bit muddy.

So I'm not quite sure how he's going to pull off a show of stuff from EP-Rage, exclusively. I mean, that's essentially like James doing I&W live, and poor JLB had a rough go of that last year. But Tate has had some really positive and better performances, so my fingers are crossed that those in attendance at this festival get a good singing performance by Tate.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #950 on: November 01, 2018, 09:11:29 AM »
But really, it just comes down to "Tate isn't singing as poorly as he used to," which isn't nearly a ringing endorsement.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: November 01, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »
But really, it just comes down to "Tate isn't singing as poorly as he used to," which isn't nearly a ringing endorsement.

Personally, I don't think he's singing poorly at all these days. The effort is there. Some nights he's on, some nights he's not. I'd say he was singing poorly during the split, but since about summer 2016, he's really started to sing more like the Tate we remember. Again, not 1991, or even 2005 Priest tour, but much better. And that's not "poor."

And damn it, don't make me defend Tate. I just want the narrative to be as fair as possible.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #952 on: November 01, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »
My limited observation:  Tate sounded GREAT when I saw him a couple months ago.  I didn't go in with any expectations, and came away being so impressed.  If the material was downtuned, it wasn't so significantly that I noticed or was bothered by it.

I haven't really followed QR since Tate left, but the clips I've seen of La Torre doing classic QR material live have not impressed me in the slightest.  Maybe I'll change my opinion after/if I see the QR/FW show next March.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: January 30, 2019, 04:24:16 PM »
Couple of weeks until this festival, and I haven't really seen any commentary anywhere about it. It's not a big thing (capacity is 2,000), and Fifth Angel (who is more of a cult metal band) is headlining, so i don't expect a lot of fanfare.

That said, I would have expected the allure of "songs til Mindcrime" (again, not sure if that means EP-Rage or EP THROUGH Mindcrime) would at least have people raise an eyebrow. I mean, it could be awesome, or it could be a colossal train wreck. If I was a betting man, I'd say closer to that train wreck, because there is no way on God's green Earth those early songs can be pulled off well vocally unless Geoff has fully dedicated himself to vocal training. Even if they are all dropped (which I think should be expected), that shit is difficult.

The 2005 summer tour Queensryche did with Judas Priest featured a similar set, with mostly EP-Rage stuff, with Empire and a couple of Tribe songs thrown in. That sounded great, and most of it was dropped a half-step, and Tate modified stuff (such as unfortunately singing a lower harmony line instead of the higher lead vocal in The Whisper) to make it work. But it worked.

But now, 14 years later, firing all that up again? After years of not really singing that stuff? I mean, Tate has surprised me before, but uh...that's a tall ask, I think. I am hoping he pulls it off, but I dunno.

Be interesting to see what kind of set he does. Personally, I'd really like to see some stuff neither he or QR have done in a really long time.

Here's a few I'm hoping are in the set:

No Sanctuary - I was at the last, or one of the last two performances of this song by Queensryche - June 2001 in Seattle. Fan Club show. It was pretty cool to hear.

Deliverance - Last played in 1987 (seriously). Not even the current band has done it. Not sure why, other than the vocals ARE difficult. But I mean, I really did expect them to do it, and they haven't.

Scarborough Fair - The last time any version of this was played by QR was in 1992 at the unplugged session. it would be killer if it made its way, plugged-in, to the set. Not holding my breath, but would be cool.

London - QR tried this a couple of times, and frankly, its rough. There's something about the timing and the vocals in that song that just never quite sounds right. But still would be cool if they tried it. It may end up being cringe-worthy, but the whole set could be cringe-worthy, so why the hell not?  :lol

I Will Remember - Tate's done this, at least acoustically in the past. Would be nice to see a full band version again.

>>>>Again, if I'm wagering, I'm saying this is going to be really tough to pull off. BUT, Tate IS going to be touring with Avantasia, and will have to up his game a bit to handle that load, range-wise. So I imagine he's been working at things. So he could surprise us.

But man, seriously, EP through Rage? That's a friggin huge ask. The one thing is he's opening for Fifth Angel, so he's got 75 minutes. That Priest tour back in 2005 -- QR got an hour, and while Tate sounded fine at the beginning and the end, now, 14 years later, he's got 15 more minutes of the same more difficult material? Man.

We'll see. February 16 is creeping closer. If I was there, I'd go, because for me, Fifth Angel and Tate are a draw. Fifth Angel should be interesting too. Their situation is always so fluid. And I'll leave it at that.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #954 on: January 30, 2019, 04:28:47 PM »
London - QR tried this a couple of times, and frankly, its rough. There's something about the timing and the vocals in that song that just never quite sounds right. But still would be cool if they tried it. It may end up being cringe-worthy, but the whole set could be cringe-worthy, so why the hell not? 

I think it never quite sounds right because:  (1) the studio version has so many layered vocals on the chorus that really make the song what it is, and you can't really duplicate that live (at least, not without piping in a lot of backing vocals), and (2) the part right after the solo is out of Geoff's range and has been for awhile, and it really needs to be fully belted in the proper register to have that power that is called for at that moment of the song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: January 30, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »
London - QR tried this a couple of times, and frankly, its rough. There's something about the timing and the vocals in that song that just never quite sounds right. But still would be cool if they tried it. It may end up being cringe-worthy, but the whole set could be cringe-worthy, so why the hell not? 

I think it never quite sounds right because:  (1) the studio version has so many layered vocals on the chorus that really make the song what it is, and you can't really duplicate that live (at least, not without piping in a lot of backing vocals), and (2) the part right after the solo is out of Geoff's range and has been for awhile, and it really needs to be fully belted in the proper register to have that power that is called for at that moment of the song.

Agreed on both points. Musically though, there's something missing too. I knew the vocal things, but there's something musically that always gets them out of step for some reason. I'm not really a musician, just a hack singer, so I can't pinpoint it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: February 19, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »
Tate played the Metal Assault Festival in Germany over the weekend. It was interesting since he did an EP-Mindcrime show. The two songs I found most curious were ones that were extremely rare - "I Dream in Infrared" and "Before the Storm."

The latter was performed by the original lineup numerous times on the Warning tour. But that was it. The year 1985 was the last time Before the Storm was performed by any lineup of Queensryche, or any member of Queensryche, until this weekend. The former, however, the original band never played live. Queensryche played it (post-DeGarmo) many times in 2009, but it has been 10 years since Tate sang it.

Unfortunately, I don't see "Before the Storm" from this weekend on YouTube yet. But we do have "I Dream in Infrared:"

https://youtu.be/eCc3LkbrTi8

Tate struggles a bit for sure, but cool to see the song. He goes for it as best he can. Band is solid musically.

Note the guitarist on the right (stage left). Notice what guitar he’s playing…I had to laugh. Wilton may not be there, but his ESP Skull Limited sure is.  :lol

Anyway, interesting set by Tate:

01. Neue Regel
02. Screaming In Digital
03. Operation: Mindcrime
04. Speak
05. Spreading The Disease
06. The Mission
07. Take Hold Of The Flame
08. Before The Storm
09. I Dream In Infrared
10. The Lady Wore Black
11. Walk In The Shadows
12. Breaking The Silence
13. I Don't Believe In Love
14. Anarchy-X
15. Eyes Of A Stranger

>>>>Not sure if it is a typo or not, but it would be weird if they did Anarchy-X before Eyes of a Stranger. I think it would make more sense if it was Waiting for 22 and My Empty Room. Who knows.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #957 on: February 19, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »
That is a great setlist and I thought he did a decent job of I Dream in Infra red. He struggles with those high notes but most would. Certainly not a train wreck and the band are excellent. Is that tri-ryche guitar? Cheeky if so 😀

I saw him.before Xmas and he did the Mindcrime setlist. I’d love to see this one.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #958 on: February 19, 2019, 11:37:28 AM »
There is a30 second clip of Walk in the Shadows on Blabbermouth that is pretty awful.

https://youtu.be/JlDJm_XqzqU

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #959 on: February 19, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
LOL. Just posted the German Metal  Assault setlist on the QR thread

01. Neue Regel
02. Screaming In Digital
03. Operation: Mindcrime
04. Speak
05. Spreading The Disease
06. The Mission
07. Take Hold Of The Flame
08. Before The Storm
09. I Dream In Infrared
10. The Lady Wore Black
11. Walk In The Shadows
12. Breaking The Silence
13. I Don't Believe In Love
14. Anarchy-X
15. Eyes Of A Stranger

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #960 on: February 23, 2019, 01:16:40 AM »
Man, I wonder how he pulled off Before the Storm :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: February 24, 2019, 09:34:54 AM »
Man, I wonder how he pulled off Before the Storm :lol

I've been scouring YouTube daily, but haven't seen anything surface.  :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #962 on: February 26, 2019, 04:28:19 PM »
I’ve just seen the dates for Tate’s uk your in August. He’s playing near me again so I’ll go again on the strength of last years Mindcrime show.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: April 09, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »
Looks like Tate has a new project. Sweet Oblivion, featuring an Italian band.

Song/video for "True Colors" here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYsLG2VtTN0

I dig the tune. It is sung well, and the music is pretty damn good actually.

Here's the background:

Frontiers Music srl
43 mins ·

BREAKING NEWS: Frontiers Music Srl is excited to announce the release of an exciting new project featuring legendary former Queensr˙che and current Operation: Mindcrime singer Geoff Tate (Official) on lead vocals, entitled Sweet Oblivion Band on June 14th. The first single and video from the album, "True Colors" is out today and can be watched HERE: https://youtu.be/HYsLG2VtTN0

Pre-order the album and stream "True Colors" HERE: http://radi.al/SweetOblivion

Sweet Oblivion sees Tate teaming up with a stellar cast of Italian musicians led by Simone Mularoni, the mastermind of prog metal masters DGM. Musically, this album marks a return to the more melodic metal style for Tate and showcases a fine collection of songs highlighting the great talents of Mularoni and his cast of musicians.

Geoff Tate says, "I was approached by Frontiers to do this record and am pleased I took this chance. It’s an album filled with fun and I believe a lot of the fans who dig the old Queensryche sound will enjoy this one!”

Simone Mularoni adds, "I grew up listening to the '70s and '80s rock and metal bands and, of course, Queensryche's classic albums are among my favorites ever. Having the opportunity and luck of working together with a musical giant like Geoff Tate has been a real blessing on both the human and the artistic side. I asked a few amazing musicians and friends to help me out and together we delivered a bunch of classic heavy rock songs in which I tried to fuse a more contemporary approach with a classic Queensryche vibe… the performances are amazing!”

The opening track and first video “True Colors” sets the pace for the entire release and shows what the listeners can expect from this record. Excellent musicianship and a sound that harkens back to the massive melodies and hooks of classic albums like “Empire,” “Rage For Order”, and “Operation:Mindcrime”. Enjoy!

"Sweet Oblivion" tracklisting:
True Colors
Sweet Oblivion
Behind Your Eyes
Hide Away
My Last Story
A Recess From My Fate
Transition
Disconnect
The Deceiver
Seek The Light
Produced by: Simone Mularoni

Geoff Tate - Vocals
Simone Mularoni – Guitars and Bass
Emanuele Casali – Keyboards
Paolo Caridi – Drums

Follow Sweet Oblivion on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SweetOblivionGeoffTate/

Online Grappler

« Reply #964 on: April 09, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »
I really like it.  Simone has been the second guitarist in Redemption and has played on the last two albums of theirs as well.  So he's no slouch. :)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: April 09, 2019, 08:49:53 AM »
That's the sort of musical style, along with the type of vocal melody, that allows Tate's voice to shine. Honestly, that's the best he's sounded on a song since Empire/PL.

And I really dig the guitar harmonics. Good stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: April 09, 2019, 08:51:20 AM »
Pretty cool song  :metal

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: April 09, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »
For those who don't know Simone, check out his band DGM's most recent album, The Passage.  It's an amazing progressive metal album.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #968 on: April 09, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »
For those who don't know Simone, check out his band DGM's most recent album, The Passage.  It's an amazing progressive metal album.

:metal

He also mixed and mastered Michael Romeo's War of the World's album. He has a great ear too.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: April 09, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »

:metal

He also mixed and mastered Michael Romeo's War of the World's album. He has a great ear too.

Really? I had no idea, and I thought the mix on that was pretty good. That record has had some staying power for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: April 09, 2019, 03:58:09 PM »
He's an unbelievable guitarist, but I've always found his songwriting a bit below par.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: April 09, 2019, 04:32:52 PM »
Saying all that, that song was actually really good, suited Tate very well.  Will definitely be checking it out.

But WTF, I thought it was Rob Halford at the start of the video.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: April 10, 2019, 05:18:11 AM »
Saying all that, that song was actually really good, suited Tate very well.  Will definitely be checking it out.

But WTF, I thought it was Rob Halford at the start of the video.

Totally looked like Rob Halford

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #973 on: April 10, 2019, 06:02:59 AM »
Isn't that racist? Not all bald, white guys with circle beard look the same! :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: April 10, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
Isn't that racist? Not all bald, white guys with circle beard look the same! :P

Don't forget the sunnies.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #975 on: April 10, 2019, 04:17:17 PM »
If it was Halford, the video would've been a three dude love triangle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: April 10, 2019, 04:49:11 PM »
If it was Halford, the video would've been a three dude love triangle.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Online Grappler

« Reply #977 on: April 30, 2019, 08:36:05 AM »
Another new track from Sweet Oblivion.  Another winner for me - his voice sounds really good and reminds me of the Geoff of old.

Sweet Oblivion:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6489svhyBg

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: April 30, 2019, 09:02:44 AM »
Another new track from Sweet Oblivion.  Another winner for me - his voice sounds really good and reminds me of the Geoff of old.

Sweet Oblivion:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6489svhyBg

Interesting. I love the harmonized guitar work. Sounds like classic QR when they do that. The rhythm is more modern melodic metal, so its not just making things sound like QR. Its its own thing. Tate sounds like I would expect a 60 year old Tate to sound like if he was singing in Queensryche, with the classic band. Vocal melody is a little darker, and instead of spotlighting Tate's range, its crafted so that he can sing pretty evenly without a lot of jumps, which is what he needs these days. Really good track. I have the record pre-ordered. Looking forward to it. I probably won't listen any any more of it until I get it.  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: April 30, 2019, 09:39:12 AM »
Good song - elements of QR,  Allen/Lande , DGM etc..... although the song is pretty obvious in referencing Breaking The Silence.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au