Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148163 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
tl;dr

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Of course you did, brown noser.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
I have at least slight expectations for the true QR release. While I fully expect to not even listen to the Taint. I'm just gonna refer to the Tate-QR as Taint from now on. Kthanks.

I see it like this: With QR, I expect to get a cake. While that cake may not be as delectable and delicious as I expected when I first laid eyes on it whilst my tummy was rumbling; I take that first bite and think to myself, "Well, it wasn't as incredible as I thought it'd be, but it's still pretty damn good!" My expectations are going to be too high anyway, no matter what, just because I'm so starved for anything QR that isn't destroyed by Tate; but if I expect that, then maybe I'll enjoy it anyway.

On the other end, we have Taint, which to me, looking at it, is a steaming pile of shit. Why would I want to eat shit? I'm starving, and there's nothing else in sight in this wasteland that is called Taintland. So, reluctantly, I take a bite of this shit. Then I die. My expectations were right, and yet it still managed to be worse than I had expected.

I'm not too great on metaphors... I don't think I'll be disappointed in this QR release..and there's no way I'll be expecting anything except shit from Taint, so while they may have the upper hand in that area, I really think it's impossible for them to deny my expectations by succeeding them. Failing them? That is entirely possible. But hey! Maybe shit isn't so bad... I'm not sure. I don't live in Taintland anymore. Place sucks.

(I haven't had my coffee yet)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
As far as the Tate album, I honestly don't care if it is good music.  I'm just not interested.  To use an analogy I made elsewhere, if I'm buying a car, and Company A and Company B both put out some pretty sweet cars that may both potentially meet my needs and have a lot of bells and whistles I like, that's cool if all other things are equal. But let's assume they aren't equal. Instead, let's assume:
 -Company B's owner physically attacked and sucker punched the owner of company A, who is a much smaller man who doesn't fight, and Company B's owner likes to constantly brag about that fact and how Company A's owner is just a "p*ssy" if he's not willing to go toe to toe and defend himself.
 -Company B's owner also took a swing at and spit at other Company A employees, and continued to spit on them during a live trade show where they were engaged with an audience and the Company A employees couldn't do anything about it without stopping and ruining the show for the customers who had paid to see it. And assume this is all caught on video and that, again, Company B's owner doesn't deny it and actually brags about it.
 -Company B's owner sees nothing wrong with berating groups of customers who don't act as enthusiastically as he likes, and tells them they suck.
 -Company B's owner likes to go on the air and call customers "p*ssies" if they don't like what he is selling.

Sorry, but in those circumstances, I don't see competition as a good thing. Frankly, no matter how good a product Company B puts out, I'm just not interested in what they are selling. That's not taking sides. That's just having some self-respect as a consumer.

IMO, there a perfectly reasoned and mature reason to refuse to support what Tate is doing for reasons other than just "picking sides." When you assault, threaten, and spit on your band mates, and publicly brag about it at every opportunity... When you repeatedly insult your fans... When you repeatedly try to sabotage the efforts of the very people you built your career with in the first place and then play the victim... Sorry, but I'm not interested in getting behind that whether you have a worthwhile product to sell me or not.  Will I give it one or two listens on YouTube or if I find it in the used bin just to satisfy my curiousity?  Yeah, probably.  But even if it's good music, there are too many reasons to not support it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
I still say they should´ve gone with a singer who doesn´t sound like a Tate-clone. 

Dammit...wrong thread... :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:45:13 AM by Cyclopssss »
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I get the fact that it will be a collaborative effort for the first time in nearly 20 years, but consider DeGarmo was the main writer back then, and he isn't there anymore, having the guys still there all writing together now is like having the sides and garnishes on a dinner plate that is still missing the main dish.  It's like, yeah, those extras are necessary to the overall meal, but you still need that main dish to bring it all together.  DeGarmo was that main dish, and he is no longer there.  And the remaining guys have little track record of strong, consistent songwriting sans DeGarmo and even Tate, so until I see it, my expectations will remain very low.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I can't completely disagree with you, but I think classifying DeGarmo as the "main dish" is overstating it just a bit.  Not much, but a little.  The Tribe sessions, the few tracks where the other guys contributed (Hostage, The Hands, Murderer?, for example), and the Mosh Pit Demos by Whip and Scott proved to my ears that these guys have a lot of Queensryche in the tank that Tate was squelching.  We'll see...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yep, we won't know till we hear what they come up with. The good news for me is, my expectations are so low that if they do anything good, they will have exceeded them. :biggrin:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
My expectations are.....

um....

Has anyone seen KNH's expectations?

#lolTaint

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yes.  It was posted in the Queensryche thread, and is probably more appropriately discussed there:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35997.msg1525726#msg1525726

Offline Lowdz

Most of my favourite QR songs are Wilton songs. He was my favourite over CDG as a guitarist. I have hopes that all will be well.
Tate and his "team" have been responsible for killing QR for me. I haven't bought a QR album since MCII.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Crap, I mixed up the QR threads, my bad.  :facepalm:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
 :laugh: And here we have the stupidity of keeping two bands with the same name and different line-ups in action, right here for us to see! Beautiful.  :yeahright

Crazy shit. I'm sure people who are new to this whole ordeal or new to QR in general are absolutely lost. Long-time fans get it mixed up, I feel sorry for anyone new on board.

RIP DTP.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
That's why I think the judge that allowed both sides to keep the name was full of shit. The market can't sort it out as easily as they seem to think it can.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline PowerSlave

Sorry, but in those circumstances, I don't see competition as a good thing. Frankly, no matter how good a product Company B puts out, I'm just not interested in what they are selling. That's not taking sides. That's just having some self-respect as a consumer.

I think that you summed up everything that needs to be said (from my view, anyways) in this one sentence alone.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
 :facepalm:

:sadpanda:

It's sad to know that there's no way this cannot affect QR. Hopefully it'll just bring them more publicity, but I'm not too sure... It's such a fuckin' mess.

RIP DTP.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
That's why I think the judge that allowed both sides to keep the name was full of shit. The market can't sort it out as easily as they seem to think it can.

It's my understanding that this is a temporary situation.  In the Eddie Trunk interview, Scott indicated that the situation should be resolved by November, when, if they haven't already come to an agreement, they'll fight it out in court.  As I understand it, the judge in the earlier hearing didn't say that they could both use the name indefinitely, just that he didn't see a need for an injunction blocking one of the parties from using the name prior to the actual court date coming up.

Edit:  That's from memory, so I may have gotten some details wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Close enough, yeah.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
This is so very glorious... :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Has this ever happened with another band?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
what a cluster . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is so ridiculous, it's surreal. Seems like something you'd see on reality TV. :lolpalm:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
La Guns I believe

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
LA Guns. Ratt. Great White. Saxon.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, and there's an Aussie band not many would know about called the Angels, which has two versions of the same band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Just saw this

And this on Metalsucks, had a good laugh
LOLgoroth  pigchop • 4 hours ago −
brb printing this and replacing the actual CD cover, so that I can have Totes to sign it.
5  •Reply•Share ›

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

I still think the cover should have a flying lougie on it somewhere.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
He comes off like some kid who was just kicked out of a game on the playground.

"You can't kick me out! I'll... I'll just start my own version of the band! And I'll use people who are much better than you! Much more hardcore! What?! You're releasing an album this year?! Well, I'll, um... I'll release a better album! Before you! And it'll be all hardcore! It'll be called Frequency Unknown, and the cover will be this awesome fist punching at you and it'll wear rings that say FU. Like the name of the album but it also means FUCK YOU GUYS I'M GOING HOME AND DRINKING MY WINE! Cuz that's how they do it on youTUUUBE on youTUUUUBBE!!!"  :censored
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Wait, did I not make up Taint!? I just randomly decided to call it that. I mean, I didn't add the 'ryche', but dag nab it!  :lol I guess it is a pretty obvious thing to jump to.

That's awesome. And yes to the loogie.

RIP DTP.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
I think this also happened with the comedian Gallagher.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
He comes off like some kid who was just kicked out of a game on the playground.

"You can't kick me out! I'll... I'll just start my own version of the band! And I'll use people who are much better than you! Much more hardcore! What?! You're releasing an album this year?! Well, I'll, um... I'll release a better album! Before you! And it'll be all hardcore! It'll be called Frequency Unknown, and the cover will be this awesome fist punching at you and it'll wear rings that say FU. Like the name of the album but it also means FUCK YOU GUYS I'M GOING HOME AND DRINKING MY WINE! Cuz that's how they do it on youTUUUBE on youTUUUUBBE!!!"  :censored

Nice touch there at the end.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
It's the only memorable part of the album.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I think this also happened with the comedian Gallagher.
Yeah, he gave his brother (who looks just like him) the rights to the material, but on the condition that he makes it clear he's not the original. That didn't last long, and the original had to sue for an injunction against his brother.

That apparently included bearing a resemblance, which might actually mean there's a court order dictating the style of mustache the man can wear.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson