Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148601 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I guess I'll only get to buy one version of the album. :'(

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Billy Sherwood has just withdrawn from remixing the album! :lol

I fully believe you, but link?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Billy Sherwood has just withdrawn from remixing the album! :lol

I fully believe you, but link?
It's on Billy Sherwood's Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/billy.sherwood.54?fref=ts
I've withdrawn from mixing the Queensryche project... Scheduling issues became a conflict, I'm in the middle of many projects both Studio productions and live stuff.... ("Prog Collective 2", "Steve Miller Tribute", "WIlliam Shatner Solo record", starting a "Doors tribute" soon, playing live in a few days with Eddie Jobson in Mexico, also just got interesting offer to play bass with a prog icon for a few gigs in June, I will announce "who" when it gets closer). While I was excited about taking the QR gig, reality is there is not enough time in my schedule at present... and so... I wish them luck on the project !!

I guess Blabbermouth hasn't picked up on it yet, but this was the same Facebook page where he announced that he was remixing it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
You know you suck when your mixer chooses William Shatner over you.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Jeez Louise, and I thought the drama with DT and Mike was complicated.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
dude, his "has been" album is good.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

What ever floats your boat.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
You take that back. He has the voice of an angel.

Offline jammindude

You take that back. He has the voice of an a tone-deaf angel.

FTFY
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Yeah Has Been is not all that bad. I hesitate to call it "good," but I did find it fairly enjoyable.

Especially the track with Rollins. :)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
The live version of "It Hasn't Happened Yet" with Ben Folds is incredible.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Oh god, now Sherwood changes his mind about remixing it. This is getting GLORIOUS.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
For real... what's next? I'm srsly interested in this just to see how badly it can go down in flames. It's like watching an episode of Jersey Shore... I know that I hate it, I know that if I had a Death Note, all their names would go in it, and I know that my immense migraine is because of the show...and yet...I watch in awe as the stupidity that unfolds beckons me like a pair of boobies with those cute little tiny nippy nips.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

What ever floats your boat.
Listen to this:
The live version of "It Hasn't Happened Yet" with Ben Folds is incredible.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Somebody really needs to make a reality show with Geoff Tate.  People love that stuff and I think Tate would not only thrive, but would become a pretty big mainstream star as a result.

I totally agree.  At the very least, I could see him on a celeb-reality television show.  Also, if they ever resurrect VH1's "Behind the Music," Queensr˙che would make a great episode.

Behind the Music has already been resurrected.  I think they did new episodes last year, and they've done a whole lot of "remastered" episodes that update older episodes with newer information.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, how about Queensryche 3.0, Glen Drover on guitar and Billy on bass, who's next.   :lol

Seriously, he would have known his schedule when signing up.  Same story as Glen, heard the product, talked to Geoff and got the fuck out of there. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
I think the fact that both Pamela Moore and Jimbo Barton have sided w/ ToddRyche speaks volumes.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is quickly becoming the most entertaining thread on this forum.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
FYI, Samsara appeared on The Classic Metal Show this past weekend as "Breakdown Room Brian" and discussed the QR drama and Tate's antics.  He was then followed up by a character called the "real" Geoff Tate who provided some laughs.  The whole segment is an hour, but it's a fun listen for anyone interested in the QR craziness: https://www.spreaker.com/user/cmsrocks/paddling_easter_ham

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online cfmoran13

FYI, Samsara appeared on The Classic Metal Show this past weekend as "Breakdown Room Brian" and discussed the QR drama and Tate's antics.  He was then followed up by a character called the "real" Geoff Tate who provided some laughs.  The whole segment is an hour, but it's a fun listen for anyone interested in the QR craziness: https://www.spreaker.com/user/cmsrocks/paddling_easter_ham
Listening to the clip now.  "The Real Geoff Tate" practically makes an appearance weekly on The Classic Metal Show.  Highly Entertaining!  Virtually every one of his clips is Radio Gold.  The rest of their radio show is pretty fun, too.

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
As I said elsewhere:  For the most part, the music is decent.  The riffing is nice.  Solo is decent.  I actually like the basic vocal melodies as well.  Musically, this is better than anything on DTC, but not as good as anything but the lower-mid tier Mindcrime II or American Soldier tracks.  But vocally, it is just awful.  As has been a pattern since American Soldier, Tate sounds thin, strained, often off-key, and just plain bad.  And it is not the mix.  It is definitely the singing.  I have to call a spade a spade, and Geoff is indeed the weakest link on what might otherwise be a good (not great, but good) song.

It's too bad they rushed this.  Had they taken the time to take what are obviously some good musical ideas and flesh them out a bit more, including creating more layering and complexity, it could have been better.  Of course, if the last few albums are any indication, the vocals would still sound bad.  But at least that would be about the only legitimate criticism for what could have been a pretty good song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Could still make a nice collector's item if Tate loses the lawsuit, I suppose.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
That has no business being called a Queensryche song.
I can't wait for the Actual Queensryche to smite Tate and his heresy.
Like Bosk said, that possibly could have been a decent-good song, but Tate completely ruins it with his failing vocals.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
So there's a local metal site that linked to this as simply "Queensryche's new single", but didn't even mention the real Queensryche's "Redemption". LEARN YOUR SHIT.

1:37 was so painful.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
Well, Geoff's voice doesn't sound quite as grating as I remember it being on American Soldier and DTC.  Melody and riffs aren't terrible.  But it comes off as kind of a generic rock song with Geoff squawking all over it.  It's better than I expected, but not much motivation to go pick up the CD.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Interested in listening to this tonight after work.  How's the quality of production?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The video is highly annoying and the song is boring.
Just my little input.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline PowerSlave

Yeah, it's not terrible except for the guitar solo. That solo had no right what-so-ever being recorded. It's ill-advised wankery at best and completely laughable. Geoff's voice was ok, but not great.

The biggest problem with this song is that it doesn't resemble anything "queensryche" at all.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Night and day better than anything off DTC.  That doesn't say much, but it's a pretty good song.  The guitar solo sounds a little out of place though, almost comes out of nowhere and seems like they just took it from another song and placed it into this one.  I have no real complaints though.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
This song would be a monster radio hit...in 2000 or so, and if the band doing it was Disturbed. Though even then the totally inappropriate guitar solo would never have fit in. That feels like it was flown in from another song entirely. It's just so obviously half-baked and rushed and...bland. It's not even BAD. It's just really fucking BORING.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

I quite like the song and it sounds fine- maybe that piano is buried a bit too much. Tate sounds as you would expect but not as bad as I thought he would, apart from a couple of painful moments. I agree the solo doesn't belong. I don't mind it, it just doesn't fit here. I take it it's one of the guests?

I doubt the rest of the album will be as good as this, especially having heard the samples. Definately better than the shite that was DtC and his solo QR album from last year.

Bbut the video billing hiom as Geoff Tate & QR? Delusional beyond belief. They are not, and never will be QR, just his backing band. And it will change again before the tour's finished.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just listened to this song and I really like it.  The production does sound a little muddy but overall it's pretty decent.  Tate sounds better than the last couple of records, but still not the best.

I actually really enjoyed the solo, but I'm pretty sure it's definitely Kelly Grey, not any of teh guests.  Even though this is decent, the style of this song has nothing to do with the name Queensryche.  This is obviously another Tate solo record just with the Queensryche name stuck on it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
It's really not bad. I actually like it more than the other QR song.

Offline fibreoptix

Sounds to me like it could have fit on Q2K. It's actually not that bad as far as simplistic rock songs go. It just doesn't really have much worth caring about. And as usual, Geoff sounds like ass.

It's a shame, really. The sample actually had me intrigued but now I hear the whole thing I just really don't care at all.