Author Topic: How do you take your key?  (Read 3994 times)

Offline dparrott

How do you take your key?
« on: January 31, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »
I was thinking how so many songs I like are in the key of E Major or have E as a fundamental note.  It just feels like a upbeat happy key to me.  What about you all?  What keys are your favorite songs in, or what keys or notes do you most respond to?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: How do you take your key?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:37:34 AM »
on a ring
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:13:19 AM »
Favorite major keys: Ab, C

Favorite minor keys: C#, D

My favorite note across all octaves is D2 (aka the lowest note on a D-tuned guitar).
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »
Funny Music Theory answer :

Favourite Major Keys : E.  D.

Favourite minor keys : C#. B.

:neverusethis:

Proper answer :

Major : I think it's probably easiest to write songs on an acoustic in the key of G or D.

Minor : Probably Eminor or Aminor.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:26:35 AM »
I honestly have no fucking clue what key any song is in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »

I'm sorry that's not the right answer ! But thanks for playing , Johnny ! :neverusethis:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:58:16 PM »
Songs in sharp keys (that is, keys with sharps, such as A or D) tend to sound brighter and happier.  There's something about an F# that just rings.  And it's not just me.  The default ringtone on our home phone is in the key of F# minor, and the F# gets your attention.  If I open my car door before I pull the keys out of the ignition, there's a beep, and it's an F# because that note will cut through and be heard.  The beep on our microwave is an F# for the same reason.  And of course there's the famous F# sung by our beloved James Labrie.  It's not just that it's a high note, it's not just that he nails it.  Part of it is the note itself.  Something about a high F# just kicks your ass.  A G# has similar properties, just not as pronounced.  A lot of popular songs are in E, however, not just because of the G#, but because it's the key most guitarists start in.  But historically, I'm sure there's a reason why guitars are tuned to E.  It's a good key for a lot of songs, and Em is great for going the other way.  Dropping that G# to a G really changes the tone of everything.

I recently played "Turn, Turn, Turn" by The Byrds, except they wanted to do it in C because the original key of D was too high for the singer.  So that incredible, ringing F# on top was lost.  C major is the first key anyone plays in when they take piano lessons because it's the easiest, but it's also the most boring.  It has no personality.  The song sounded flat -- not out of tune, just boring and lifeless -- in C.

Songs in flat keys (F, Bb, Ab) are mellow, and the more flats, the mellower.  "Claire de Lune" by Debussey is in Db, and is super chill, yet rich and warm sounding.  "La Pathetique" by Beethoven (actually Piano Sonata No. 8, second movement) is in Eb, but by voicing the chords open, it seems to broaden the sound, making it richer.

The wacky thing is that as you travel around the circle of fifths in either direction, the keys eventually meet and cross paths.  "Fantasie-Impromptu" by Chopin is in C# minor and sounds like pure agitation and hyperactivity set to music.  The middle section is in Db major and is the complete opposite, rich and mellow.  But it's the same key.  C# and Db.  And the way he switches from minor to major and back again is brilliant.  Chopin was a genius that way.

Anyway, my favorite key?  It completely depends on the song and what you're trying to say.  Some people say it doesn't matter.  These people are not musicians, and I don't care if they play the guitar or the piano or the tuba.  There's still a difference between a musician and someone who can play an instrument, and if you can't hear the difference between keys and what it does to the temperence of a song, you're missing something.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »
Songs in sharp keys (that is, keys with sharps, such as A or D) tend to sound brighter and happier.  There's something about an F# that just rings.  And it's not just me.  The default ringtone on our home phone is in the key of F# minor, and the F# gets your attention.  If I open my car door before I pull the keys out of the ignition, there's a beep, and it's an F# because that note will cut through and be heard.  The beep on our microwave is an F# for the same reason.  And of course there's the famous F# sung by our beloved James Labrie.  It's not just that it's a high note, it's not just that he nails it.  Part of it is the note itself.  Something about a high F# just kicks your ass.  A G# has similar properties, just not as pronounced.  A lot of popular songs are in E, however, not just because of the G#, but because it's the key most guitarists start in.  But historically, I'm sure there's a reason why guitars are tuned to E.  It's a good key for a lot of songs, and Em is great for going the other way.  Dropping that G# to a G really changes the tone of everything.

I recently played "Turn, Turn, Turn" by The Byrds, except they wanted to do it in C because the original key of D was too high for the singer.  So that incredible, ringing F# on top was lost.  C major is the first key anyone plays in when they take piano lessons because it's the easiest, but it's also the most boring.  It has no personality.  The song sounded flat -- not out of tune, just boring and lifeless -- in C.

Songs in flat keys (F, Bb, Ab) are mellow, and the more flats, the mellower.  "Claire de Lune" by Debussey is in Db, and is super chill, yet rich and warm sounding.  "La Pathetique" by Beethoven (actually Piano Sonata No. 8, second movement) is in Eb, but by voicing the chords open, it seems to broaden the sound, making it richer.

The wacky thing is that as you travel around the circle of fifths in either direction, the keys eventually meet and cross paths.  "Fantasie-Impromptu" by Chopin is in C# minor and sounds like pure agitation and hyperactivity set to music.  The middle section is in Db major and is the complete opposite, rich and mellow.  But it's the same key.  C# and Db.  And the way he switches from minor to major and back again is brilliant.  Chopin was a genius that way.

Anyway, my favorite key?  It completely depends on the song and what you're trying to say.  Some people say it doesn't matter.  These people are not musicians, and I don't care if they play the guitar or the piano or the tuba.  There's still a difference between a musician and someone who can play an instrument, and if you can't hear the difference between keys and what it does to the temperence of a song, you're missing something.

That was an excellent read, thanks! Do you have absolute pitch?

I don't necessarily, but because of plating guitar all these years I can more or less sing the note I want on command.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »
While I have you music theory people here, a question about modulations in pop music:

Do you prefer half-step modulations (like G to Ab) or whole step modulations (like G to A)?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
Again, it depends on what you're trying to do.  In pop music, a whole step modulation always sounds to me like a "Barry Manilow" key change.  Barry was notorious for gratuitously going up a whole step towards the end of the song, usually while repeating the chorus.  Bumping it up a step is a sure-fire way to increase tension, but man, he overdid it.

I sing in the church choir, and we're working on a piece which steps up, and I was surprised that it was just a half-step because it "felt" like a whole step, the way he did it.

I prefer actual modulation, where you're in one key, then a chord change or two leads you into the new key.  To me, suddenly just going up a step (or a half step) isn't modulation; it's more like shifting gears without a clutch.  It's jarring, but usually it's meant to be, since it's obviously being done for effect.  Well, effect has been achieved.  To me, the best key changes are true modulations where there's a transition, but that usually takes actual writing talent and musical knowledge, something today's pop writers don't necessarily have.

Do you have absolute pitch?

I have what I call "pretty good pitch".  A lot of times, I can hear a song and pretty much tell what key it's in by the sound.  If I'm at a piano or holding a flute or a saxophone, give me a few bars and I can play along.  But I'm not zeroing in on the key itself or any specific notes, it really is the overall sound and feel of the tune.  I've got a few months of piano lessons and one term of music theory in college, but otherwise am entirely self-taught, so what I've got isn't very disciplined and comes more from feel than from knowledge.  My ears and fingers know what's going on, usually before my brain does and usually better.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »
While I have you music theory people here, a question about modulations in pop music:

Do you prefer half-step modulations (like G to Ab) or whole step modulations (like G to A)?

I don't like key changes in pop music at all.

However - one I *DO* like is the song "C'mon C'mon C'mon " by Bryan Adams where the final chorus changes pitch by a semitone and it works really well.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 02:40:26 PM »
My favourite key is B minor. The key of Tchaikovsky's epic Manfred Symphony, and from the rock world, Comfortably Numb (chorus is in the relative major, D).

As for key changes, my favourite is Anna Lee. When you think about it, it's a remarkable chord progression. It's not clearly in one key, and it exhibits progressive tonality, in that it starts in C# minor, doesn't touch that again, and ends in G major. The key change takes everything up a minor third (first chord E minor, last B flat major, thus ending a semitone higher than the A major that started the song some 6 minutes previously.)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »
Yeah, the same - I think that, in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 06:35:24 PM »

While it matters to musicians, I don't think my enjoyment of music isn't lessened in the least by not knowing what key a song is in.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 06:39:10 PM »
Same. I did a music degree and I still don't give a crap :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 10:20:45 PM »
Everyone knows D Minor is the saddest of all keys

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »

While it matters to musicians, I don't think my enjoyment of music isn't lessened in the least by not knowing what key a song is in.

But that's not the same thing.  If someone's enjoyment of the music isn't affected by knowing what key it's in, that makes perfect sense.  Most people aren't aware and thus don't care.  That isn't the same as saying that the key doesn't matter.  The key affects how the song sounds, whether you're aware of it or not, thus it matters.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »
Yeah, I think Sacul was saying that knowing doesn't matter. Which I agree with, as far as me personally.

Though I definitely understand how a musician could really enjoying seeing how a song is put together and all that kind of stuff, it just isn't something I ever even think about.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 05:43:58 AM »
I think Sacul is wrong in that,  it depends on my mood.  You gravitate to the songs that the mood you are in and the keys have a lot to do with that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 05:56:13 AM »

But that's not the same thing.  If someone's enjoyment of the music isn't affected by knowing what key it's in, that makes perfect sense.  Most people aren't aware and thus don't care.  That isn't the same as saying that the key doesn't matter.  The key affects how the song sounds, whether you're aware of it or not, thus it matters.

I don't think Jaq is saying the key doesn't matter, only that it doesn't matter for the listener to know what key it's in. You don't enjoy the song any more or less by knowing what key it's in, but it can help with understanding the "why".

I really like songs in F/F# on guitar (F# in standard, F in half step), because I just like the style of riffing it lends itself to, with that minor 7 on the open E. Tasty.

D often sounds really flat and uninteresting to me, other times it works and sounds nice and heavy. One of my least liked keys for rock/metal subgenres overall though. Eb also often bugs me, because my ear wants to hear it natural, and it can sound a little lacking in energy. I don't know if it's because of the slightly looser strings, or the tone of it, or whether I'm just weird. Maybe all of the above.

And I find D minor is the saddest key.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 06:24:06 AM »
I'm not sure why the first half of Green Day's American Idiot album is either in F minor or G# Major.

( American idiot, Jesus of Suburbia, Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams )

It's a really guitar unfriendly key. I realise they're mostly playing powerchords but I wonder why they chose to write in that key...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 08:41:56 AM »
Blob hit the nail right on the head for what I was trying to say. Saying "the key matters to musicians" also included composers. Of course it matters in composition and performance. It just doesn't matter to me personally to know what the key of the song is to enjoy it.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 12:17:07 PM »
Favorite minor keys: D, D#

Favorite major keys: E, B

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »

I prefer Eb minor.

;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 04:01:16 PM »

I prefer Eb minor.

;D

Haha. That's a whole 'nother discussion ! My tutor and I went back and forth on this so much :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »
I've always been fond of Bb/A# Minor, C Minor, and the almighty E Minor

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2015, 04:13:40 PM »

OMFG!

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 06:51:35 PM »
:orbert:

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 04:46:00 AM »

It matters immensely! A song's mood can completely change depending on what key it's played in. Even if it's transposed (like what Neal Morse tends to do in live concerts, something I find utterly annoying). Each key has its own personality.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 04:59:17 AM »
A song like Mama Said by Metallica -which is in D minor - very rare for them - would not have the same character if it was in Bog Standard Eminor.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 05:16:17 AM »
I'm also a big fan of transposing Stairway to Heaven into different keys and noticing how the mood changes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 06:53:28 AM »
If I'm just listening to a song, I don't care what key it's in.

If I'm performing a song, on drums, I don't care what key it's in.

If I'm performing a song, on guitar or bass, I prefer things like G, D, A, or C, and I don't like performing in flat keys. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.