Author Topic: Bands / things you're "Not Allowed" to Dislike...  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bands / things you're "Not Allowed" to Dislike...
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2013, 06:52:02 PM »
I like Devin, but it'd be a real stretch I think to group him in as someone widly influential. He's really a niche guy that appeals to a very limited audience.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2013, 06:52:22 PM »
While I'm at it, fuck Bruce Springsteen.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2013, 08:25:52 PM »
I've had multiple people (some VERY obnixiously) tell me I "should" like Devin Townsend based on the other stuff I like. I have tried, and I still can't really stand him. I've enjoyed a few songs (and the concept/some of Ziltoid), but most of it sounds the same to me. I find it extremely repetitive and droney and annoying. This one asshole I met in a parking lot (he was wearing a Dream Theater shirt so I approached him) got super prog-snobbish on me and was like "HOW can you not listen to Devin? If you don't listen to Devin, you don't matter." I couldn't believe that kind of shit actually happened in real life :lolpalm:

There's a true prog snob for you: a pretty girl approaches you over a mutual interest and you piss her off over elitism.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »
While I'm at it, fuck Bruce Springsteen.
Yeah, he's pretty horrible.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »
Yeah, I could never get into Bruce. And I'm from Jersey, so I REALLY get shit for it!

I've had multiple people (some VERY obnixiously) tell me I "should" like Devin Townsend based on the other stuff I like. I have tried, and I still can't really stand him. I've enjoyed a few songs (and the concept/some of Ziltoid), but most of it sounds the same to me. I find it extremely repetitive and droney and annoying. This one asshole I met in a parking lot (he was wearing a Dream Theater shirt so I approached him) got super prog-snobbish on me and was like "HOW can you not listen to Devin? If you don't listen to Devin, you don't matter." I couldn't believe that kind of shit actually happened in real life :lolpalm:

There's a true prog snob for you: a pretty girl approaches you over a mutual interest and you piss her off over elitism.  :rollin

Seriously :lol
Though this may have been in my fat days (can't remember). But still, I doubt this guy had girls approaching him often.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2013, 01:35:59 AM »
Two HUGE artists/bands that I have never understood/liked: U2 and Bruce Springsteen. I don't hate them, but I have never quite seen the appeal, and both have a lot of passionate fans who would hate me.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2013, 01:40:29 AM »
Oh gawd YES U2. I have never been able to get into them. I liked that one song from Batman.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2013, 01:48:47 AM »

No shit :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »
:heart U2 and The Edge but I can understand why people may not like them ( Bono for instance ).

I like some Springsteen songs too but never an entire album.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2013, 04:39:56 AM »
I don't really like the Beatles, though I don't mind them. Less well known bands that I didn't really like were IQ and Enchant, which I discovered when I received their songs in my roulette. The people who sent them didn't really understand my disliking I guess.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2013, 05:41:25 AM »
Hip Hop.

Because I'm an immigrant in the country I live in, many people tell me that I must worship Hip Hop because all  members of ethnic minorities worship Hip Hop.
The sad thing is: when I tell a group of people that this is racist, I'm the one who gets weird looks. It's generally accepted that ethnic minorities don't listen to anything else but Hip Hop.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2013, 06:00:36 AM »
Hip Hop.

Because I'm an immigrant in the country I live in, many people tell me that I must worship Hip Hop because all  members of ethnic minorities worship Hip Hop.
The sad thing is: when I tell a group of people that this is racist, I'm the one who gets weird looks. It's generally accepted that ethnic minorities don't listen to anything else but Hip Hop.
Wow, that sucks dude  :-\

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2013, 06:03:55 AM »
Hip Hop.

Wow, that sucks dude  :-\

I learned to laugh about it, but I still think it's racist.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2013, 06:38:13 AM »
I simply can't listen to Tool for more than thirty seconds. I just feel bad when I do.

as a prog fan, I get so much shit when I say I don't like TOOL.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »
I'm also in the U2 camp.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2013, 08:08:55 AM »
I'm in the Megadeth camp.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2013, 08:45:26 AM »
I wouldn't say Megadeth falls under the category of "not allowed to dislike" like a Metallica type band does. I hear Metallica fan boys trashing them all the time. Plus Dave Mustaine is hated by pretty much everyone and often mocked for his vocals too.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2013, 08:48:06 AM »
Most times I say I dislike Megadeth I'm met with "WHAT?!" and such. And many Megadeth fanboys troll Metallica videos as well,

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
Ah I see... well that is obnoxious. I seem to have met a lot of metal fans that are pretty indifferent to Megadeth or hate Mustaine too much to like the band. I was discussing Megadeth with some people once and a guy told me Mustaine should have died instead of Cliff Burton  :huh: But yeah, just from my experience I've never seen Megadeth as one of those bands that music snobs frown upon you for disliking, but maybe I haven't been around the right people (and thankfully so if that's the case)  :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2013, 08:58:09 AM »
I have this picture of a shirt that has a flaming bus and it says below "IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN LARS"  :lol
Always gives me a good laugh.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »
I have this picture of a shirt that has a flaming bus and it says below "IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN LARS"  :lol
Always gives me a good laugh.

:rollin I've never seen that before, that's great.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »
I feel like I'm not allowed to like Dream Theater in plenty of circles :D

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2013, 09:21:26 AM »
Opeth. Everyone is amazed that I don't like them. I don't HATE them but barring one or two songs they've never ever appealed to me. And I've tried.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »
Opeth is weird for me. I can listen to single songs and enjoy them greatly, but an entire album of their stuff? Forget it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »
Oh and this isn't really a dislike, but I'm a big punk fan yet think The Clash are average at best as far as punk goes. And The Ramones and The Sex Pistols just aren't very good at all.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2013, 09:51:54 AM »
Yeah also, Dream Theater maybe?
Let me clarify; I don't dislike everything by DT. I love the band for getting me into music and getting into a lot of genres I would never have discovered otherwise. I still listen to SFAM, 6DOIT and Awake from time to time, I think all three are excellent albums. But the band has several albums I just can't stand anymore. There are great songs here and there, but also a lot of stuff I don't like. I&W and ToT are alright as well (though not as good as the other three I mentioned), and albums like Octavarium, SC, BC&SL, FII and WDADU are mostly awful for me. I also really didn't like ADTOE that much, even though Breaking All Illusions and Beneath the Surface are two of their best songs in a long time for me.

So yeah; DT at their best is still pretty enjoyable for me. But they also have several albums I just can't stand anymore. :(

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2013, 09:59:28 AM »
Yeah also, Dream Theater maybe?

Haha, what? If anything, I have to save the fact I like Dream Theater for later in most musical discussions, except for at DTF (no surprises there). Disliking DT is the default in most of the prog, metal, or general music circles I've affiliated with in the past, and it's been that way at least since ToT came out. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »
Well yeah I meant in the context of this forum mostly. I know nobody likes DT anywhere else. :P

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2013, 10:14:07 AM »
Oh gawd YES U2. I have never been able to get into them. I liked that one song from Batman.

Same here. I love that song, don't care for most of their other tracks. The weird thing is, it wasn't even a big hit for them.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »
Well yeah I meant in the context of this forum mostly. I know nobody likes DT anywhere else. :P
Pretty much  :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2013, 11:34:17 AM »

Yeah, that's what I call an epic fail! :lolpalm:

I haven't been very vocal about bands I dislike or find overrated but I've seen people who criticize Devin Townsend get comments like "WTF, how can you not like him?!" and I'm not a fan of his either so I bet I could piss some people off if I mentioned about it.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »
Two HUGE artists/bands that I have never understood/liked: U2 and Bruce Springsteen. I don't hate them, but I have never quite seen the appeal, and both have a lot of passionate fans who would hate me.

Yep, with you on both.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
Most mainstream rock. (excluding Deep Purple etc.)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2013, 01:54:56 PM »
Hip Hop.

This. I like certain songs from the genre but god forbid if i dont enjoy Snoop, Tupac, or Biggie as much as others.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »
Most mainstream rock. (excluding Deep Purple etc.)

I never look at DP as mainstream.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC