Author Topic: Bands / things you're "Not Allowed" to Dislike...  (Read 4762 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Bands / things you're "Not Allowed" to Dislike...
« on: March 03, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »
Does anyone else think it's stupid when you're not supposed to dislike certain bands ?

Like - If I was to say that I'm not the biggest fan of Black Sabbath for example - i'd get a torrent of abuse.

As if everyone must like the same things.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Bands / things you're "Not Allowed" to Dislike...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »
Metallica.  I tell plenty of kids that I saw them on the Master Of Puppets tour and they sucked live.  They think I'm nuts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
Not sure where you're getting that idea, there's plenty of popular bands on DTF (Black Sabbath included) who I've never had any problem voicing my dislike of - Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Dio, Judas Priest, etc.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »
Like not liking The Beatles.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline dreamtheaters#1fan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 05:46:45 PM »
People's tastes are going to vary.  What I don't see is a need for unsolicited negative opinions of an artist unless one feels that there is something morally wrong about them or that their popularity is actually doing some harm.  Why not just let the people that enjoy a certain kind of music enjoy it?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
It's mainly "classic" bands and albums people get so protective over.

Like SRV & Jimi Hendrix. I hate both of them but people go WHAAAAA *how* can you not like Hendrix or SRV?

Because Teas Flood is finger chewingly DULL.  It's any pub jam night in any town.

... For example :p

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 05:57:21 PM »
I'm nuts.
Yeah, but that's beside the point! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
Jimi Hendrix is one of those "You Must Like" artists, but I'm not a fan of his. Steely Dan also gets almost universal praise among certain circles.

I don't like Pink Floyd at all, and sometimes I feel that I'm some kind of weird social outcast because of it. I don't like Porcupine Tree or Opeth either. On the other hand, there are plenty of bands I like that almost nobody likes, so it's not as if I'm too negative about music. :P
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »
Pink Floyd and Tool are two prog bands that are really popular, and that's pretty rare.  Incidentally, I don't like either one much, and I wish I could.

I like Time by Pink Floyd, but that's only because when I was much younger, I thought it was a Moody Blues song (yeah, I have no idea why).  Tool--everything from the image to the themes to the music--just tends to gross me out, like a good deal of other 90s bands.

Um...Queen too.  Yeah.  It's not that I dislike them, I'm just rarely in the mood to listen to any of their music and I don't quite get the popularity.  I mean, the Bohemian Rhapsody is kinda cool and all, but why is it so often called the greatest rock song of all time when stuff like Firth of Fifth is around?  You could put the name of every song from Kansas' first five albums in a hat and you'd have a pretty high chance of drawing one that I like more than this one singular Queen song.  There are probably dozens of songs I can think of that are far more satisfying for me to listen to.  I hesitate to say anything is overrated, but I do have a hard time seeing what all the fuss is about, even for their most popular songs.  That said, a good number of bands I love cite them as a chief influence, so I'm glad they existed and all that.  I'm clearly the one with the problem and mixed-up perceptions here, since I don't think I've ever met anyone else who doesn't think they're fantastic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
I love a lot of Queen songs but not one entire album.

Innuendo has some cracking stuff on it like the song Innuendo itself. I'm going slightly mad.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »
Hmm. When I was in high school, Green Day. Which was lame because I hate them.

Weezer, when they first "came back" before they started sucking.

These days, probably "Jay Z". Everyone loves him, despite him being incredibly average in almost every way.

But ultimately, I think there are way more artists you're not allowed to "like" in certain circles, than artists you're not allowed to dislike. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 07:38:42 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
I get quite a lot of hate for disliking Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
The Beatles.

Get over it, people. :\

And to a lesser degree, Led Zeppelin, although I like them, just not as much as I'm "supposed" to.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
I simply can't listen to Tool for more than thirty seconds. I just feel bad when I do.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
And to a lesser degree, Led Zeppelin, although I like them, just not as much as I'm "supposed" to.
Oh yes, I forgot them. Only I'd instead say I really don't like them.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »
I don't love the Beatles, and personally I rarely ever listen to them, but it's hard to "dislike" them without acknowledging how influential they were, not just stylistically, but in terms of actually producing cohesive "albums". There influence in that regard is just starting to wear now, where people are going back to a song at a time off iTunes, and don't expect a single to be followed by an entire work.

That's why I'm personally peeved when I hear talk of The Beatles, or Dylan, or whoever else being "overrated". Yeah, they're not everyone's cup of tea, but they were some of the first artists to try and produce albums there were more than just a collection of songs, but aspired to an artistic body of work. The concept of "the album" changed dramatically between the 50s and 60s, and not matter what type of music you prefer, you have The Beatles, Dylan, and a few others in the 60s who were all part of the same circle to thank for that.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »
Led Zeppelin and Metallica.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »
I simply can't listen to Tool for more than thirty seconds. I just feel bad when I do.
I actually have a friend who was like that, too.

There's just something about Tool's music that seems to strike a really weird nerve in some people.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »
I don't like the Beatles, except for a few individual songs, and I don't even like those songs all THAT much. I've been given shit over this on many occasions. :angry:

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
I actually have a friend who was like that, too.

There's just something about Tool's music that seems to strike a really weird nerve in some people.

That's about right. I mean, by all accounts, I should enjoy their stuff, it's proggy with a alternative feel and a lot of focus on atmosphere. Still when I listen to their stuff, I just feel an emptiness that I don't really experience with any other band. It just makes their music unlistenable.

Also, thrash metal in general hasn't every really been all that appealing to me. :shrug:
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »
I don't love the Beatles, and personally I rarely ever listen to them, but it's hard to "dislike" them without acknowledging how influential they were, not just stylistically, but in terms of actually producing cohesive "albums". There influence in that regard is just starting to wear now, where people are going back to a song at a time off iTunes, and don't expect a single to be followed by an entire work.

Even ignoring the musical side of things, they basically pioneered modern music recording and production - multitrack recording, stereo production, symphonic arrangements backing up pop songs, etc
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Paris is Burning

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 09:17:06 PM »
if you dislike the Beatles your opinion is wrong.
what might have been lost

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 09:29:23 PM »
if you dislike the Beatles your opinion is wrong.

You realize this is exactly the kind of crap this thread is about, right?  :justjen
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 10:13:32 PM »
I like The Beatles. But I do think they're incredibly overrated. That's for me though, I find influence has literally 0% to do with quality.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 11:03:10 PM »
I'm not sure why someone would give a shit over such a thing. People can, and do, hate many of my own opinions at certain points regarding certain subjects. It's apart of life, people having differing opinions and hating someone for it, despite the stupidity of that line of thinking. Eh! Can't let it bother you. Yes, it's stupid. It's also something that will never, ever go away as long as humanity exists. Kinda like stupidity.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 11:40:51 PM »
I like The Beatles. But I do think they're incredibly overrated. That's for me though, I find influence has literally 0% to do with quality.

Well to be fair, they probably wouldn't have been influential if they really objectively sucked.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 04:50:06 AM »
The 'emptyness' of Tool's music, I can remember that too. When I wasn't into them, every time I tried it always sounded the same. Like the whole bandsound is off or something like that. Also the vocals and the 'climaxes', I always heard they were going for a climax ('spiral out', Lateralus. Or 'goooood-byeee!' Eulogy), but I didn't feel it.

Tool takes time and effort to get into, that's really it.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 04:52:12 AM »
I swore by Tool in high school but, if I'm being honest, I can barely listen to them anymore. They were a good gateway band, but as others said, their music is so empty and cold, and Maynard stinks.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 05:23:51 AM »
Not sure where you're getting that idea, there's plenty of popular bands on DTF (Black Sabbath included) who I've never had any problem voicing my dislike of - Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Dio, Judas Priest, etc.
>:(

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline philmcson

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:58 AM »
I once got into a discussion and said that while Judas Priest may be some kind of heavy metal pioneers they don't sound really heavy compared to bands who formed only a few years after them.....

..... received faces of disbelief for this one......  :\

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 05:47:14 AM »
I'll double down on the Beatles, most overrated.

Also, are y'all sure Tool fits the description? While I realize the critics have been kind to them, I've never met another tool fan. Maybe it's just the people I hang out with? Rather than universally liked, I find tool to be pretty polarizing and I think the response on this thread is a testament to that quality.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 06:22:29 AM »
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion about bands and whether you like them or not, but to me it gets silly when people say stuff like "The Beatles weren't that innovative, they just wrote a bunch of pop songs!" because its totally missing the point.  You don't like them, its weird but whatever.  You don't think they did much for music?  Go in a time machine and wipe them out of existence and see what happens. 

I like Time by Pink Floyd, but that's only because when I was much younger, I thought it was a Moody Blues song (yeah, I have no idea why).

This makes no sense to me.  You thought it was a Moodies song so you liked it as opposed to any other Floyd song?  That's as close to doing music "wrong" as possible :P

Offline Aquiesence

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 06:24:38 AM »
I don' t like Opeth. Although I have tried really hard to like them  :laugh:
"Close your eyes, what do you see ? Dreams in rhyme with reality"
my blog: https://eburnus.blogspot.com/

Offline masterthes

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »
Back when they were popular, I really disliked Nirvana, practically loathed them