Author Topic: bosk1's BOTTOM 50 DT songs v. well this is different  (Read 26262 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: bosk1's BOTTOM 50 DT songs v. well this is different
« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
I love Another Day. And I actually find it a lot of fun to sing.
Yup.

Also, I did find one '92 or '93 version that is pretty much nailed down to a T.

Long Island 92?

By the way, bosk, did you ever try to pull Another Day live?  ::)

??? What do you mean?

Sing it. Maybe I used the wrong verb.  :facepalm:
Not with a band, no.  (None of the guys I play with play DT.  Well--we have done I Walk Beside You and Wither, but that's it)  But I have sung it, yes.  Why?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2013, 05:15:06 PM »
Just a random question. I remember you saying once that AD was positively out of your singing range, so I wondered if you had to try it to realize that. Archive this silly question.  :blush
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »
Alrighty then.  10 to go.  On with the show...

41.  Repentance - It's not that this song is "bad"--it isn't.  Not by any stretch.  But it just SO overstays its welcome.  There are a lot of truly great moments in the song.  And the spoken word part by the guests at the end is just a genius way of doing that part of the suite.  But after enough listens that the novelty wears off, it just doesn't work as a song.  I am perhaps more torn on this song than any in the entire DT catalog simply because there is so much greatness, and yet, so little replay value.  It's just too repetitive and too long.  It really needed to be shorter and needed something else in it to break up the monotony.

This description can accurately apply to any of the AAA Suite Songs (except TRoAE). I love Repentance now, though I thought it was boring when SC first came out. It's a nice change from the constant metuhl assault of the rest of the AAA Suite. So I disagree.  :lol

Also, "Another Day" is nice, certainly better than "Surrounded" at least! :neverusethis:

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »
I was torn between off and out, and I simply chose to leave both out and let bosk do the dirty job :D

LI92 is the clean F# and the Best TKH show! :)

Speaking of F#s and Another Day, do you know of any instances besides Seoul '99 where James hits an F# at the end of the song?
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2013, 06:29:07 AM »
None, unfortunately. We must therefore assume that it was a one off thing.
- Marco

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #215 on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:46 AM »
Just a random question. I remember you saying once that AD was positively out of your singing range, so I wondered if you had to try it to realize that. Archive this silly question.  :blush

No, it's fine.  I just didn't know where you were coming from on that. 

It's not "out of my range" per se.  I can hit every note in that song.  But I cannot properly sing that entire verse because it is too many high notes in succession without any real breathing space, which is the same problem James seems to have with it (and pretty much any singer would have with it). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »
Anyhow, on with the show...

43.  The Best Of Times - DT songs often have a lot of different things going on.  Usually, they find a way to make lots of disparate elements work.  Occasionally, those disparate elements end up clashing and not working well together.  This song, to me, fits into the latter category.  I think I see what Mike and the guys were going for.  They wanted something that was at times melancholy, but at other times upbeat and painfully nostalgic.  They have managed to capture that mood well at times.  But this song just fails in that regard.  It's greatest strength is its subject matter.  But unfortunately, given the subject matter, the fact that the song does not manage to connect with me on an emotional level at all ends up being its biggest weakeness.  When I listen to individual snippets of the lyrics, I can relate to what Mike is saying.  But there still doesn't seem to be much to emotionally be able to connect to in this song, which is odd given how universal the message is.  That is why I rank it so low despite some nice lyrical passages and the cool Alex Lifeson-ish upbeat intro (after the long, said string section intro). 

44.  Hollow Years - Never liked it.  No, not even the Budokan version.  Yes, Petrucci's soloing on that version did in fact take it up a few notches.  But now we are firmly in the realm of Dream Theater songs I do not like (and given that there are really only 7 out of 94, that's actually says a LOT about the quality of DT's discography).  Nothing in this song is interesting to me.  Can't really say much more than that. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #217 on: March 26, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »
I don't have a problem with the placement of TBOT, but Hollow Years? Bosky, bosky.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: March 26, 2013, 08:51:31 AM »
Here it comes again: :sadpanda:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

« Reply #219 on: March 26, 2013, 09:27:43 AM »
BUT THE TBOT SOLO!
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »
Totally agree on HY, the studio version bores me to tears. Literally the most boring song in DT's discography.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2013, 09:36:23 AM »
BUT THE TBOT SOLO!

Yeah, good point.  It really is a great solo.  But we are also talking about John Petrucci.  He's got a TON of great solos.  A problem with The Best Of Times is that it isn't a cohesive song, notwithstanding some really cool parts, such as that solo.  And John has so many other great solos in songs that work much better as songs. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2013, 09:44:35 AM »
I like both of these songs a lot, but neither would be in my top 20 nor in my bottom 20. 

And I agree that The Best of Times is flawed - JLB's vocals are nearly as passionate as they should have been, given the subject matter; and the lyrics are not very good, despite the sentiment - but musically it is so good and that solo at the end is aces, that I usually cannot help but enjoy it a lot.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2013, 09:54:06 AM »
I am with you on these, boss, despite that unbelievable solo by JP.  It's not enough to save the song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »
BUT THE TBOT SOLO!

Yeah, good point.  It really is a great solo.  But we are also talking about John Petrucci.  He's got a TON of great solos.  A problem with The Best Of Times is that it isn't a cohesive song, notwithstanding some really cool parts, such as that solo.  And John has so many other great solos in songs that work much better as songs.

I don't think he has solos that fit the song much better, though. That's what makes it such a great moment for me--it showcases such technicality while fitting so well within the song structure.

I agree the ten minutes preceding it are merely solid, but for me that solo just makes the wait so worth it. It's in my top 5 DT moments.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »
I've also never really liked TBOT. I don't actively dislike it it, and there are cool elements (The intro and opening riffs), but too much of the song just doesn't sound good to me. The sad intro feels unecessary and, honestly, sounds like it's from the soaps. While the first couple verses and subsequent choruses are good, the momentum gets completely derailed by the "the fleeting winds of time" section. Petrucci's solo is flashy, but I don't know why it's there, other than to save the momentum of the song.

The lyrics themselves aren't terrible, but Mike wrote them in such a way that made them very meaningful to his father-- and unfortunately no one else. On one hand, I can't blame him. On the other, as Bosk said, the result is a very emotional song that doesn't connect with anyone but the writer on an emotional level. TBoT probably still ranks above TSF on Black Clouds, but that isn't saying very much.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:42:58 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »
I've also never really liked TBOT. I don't actively dislike it it, and there are cool elements (The intro and opening riffs), but too much of the song just doesn't sound good to me. The sad intro feels unecessary and, honestly, sounds like it's from the soaps. While the first couple verses and subsequent choruses are good, the momentum gets completely derailed by the "the fleeting winds of time" section. Petrucci's solo is flashy, but I don't now why it's there, other than to save the momentum of the song.

The lyrics themselves aren't terrible, but Mike wrote them in such a way that made them very meaningful to his father-- and unfortunately no one else. On one hand, I can't blame him. On the other, ask Bosk said, the result is a very emotional song that doesn't connect with anyone but the writer on an emotional level. TBoT probably still ranks above TSF on Black Clouds, but that isn't saying very much.
I agree with all of this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
Good way of putting it, P.C.  It's a tough one--I almost feel guilty for not liking the song more.  But it just is what it is.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
These are fine where they're ranked.  If you ran into me on the street and asked me if I liked these songs, I would say yes.  However, when it comes right down to it I never really listen to them.  They just end up at the bottom of my list just by default. 

So while I agree with the ranking, I can't say we've gotten into the "actually disliking" realm yet.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2013, 02:07:03 PM »
Bummed to see Surrounded score so low.  Definitely one of my favorites.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »
Bummed to see Surrounded score so low.  Definitely one of my favorites.

Agreed, a top 10 for me.  One of JLB's best studio performances, a well constructed song, peaks perfectly.  And JP's guitar work (in b4 Flock of Seagulls) fits the song perfectly.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2013, 06:15:27 PM »
totally agree on Hollow Years.  One of the few DT songs I am tempted to skip.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »
Soloing in TBOT good.  TBOT as a song, not so good.  Always liked HY, but just liked.  L@B version, liked more.  That solo.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2013, 11:39:23 PM »
I'm with you on TBOT, but Repentance, Another Day, AND Surrounded?! :sadpanda:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2013, 09:01:30 AM »
Yes.  But there's more...

45.  The Ministry of Lost Souls - Okay, DT.  You wanna have super long songs that really take a long time to develop the idea/story rather than just rushing through and getting it over with?  Cool.  :tup  Lots of interesting musical ideas that you wouldn't really expect to see combined in the same song?  I'm down with that.  :tup  Long instrumental section?  Sign me up.  And yet...this song just does not work for me on any level at all.  I am one of the first people to roll my eyes and jump into the fray when I hear people criticize Dream Theater or progressive rock in general for being overly long, pretentious, etc.  But this is a VERY rare instance where I feel that all the criticisms that people sometimes level at progressive music seem completely apprpriate when aimed at this song.  And yet, it still has some redeeming moments.  The instrumental section, for example, really is quite good.  But it would have been better served if it was in a better song.  Unfortunately, TMOLS suffers a bit from being the second to last song on an album that does not have a super-strong closer.  Yeah, In The Presence Of Enemies 2 is good.  But it suffers a bit by being separated from pt. 1.  By itself, it's a good album closer, but not a great one.  And the album as a whole really starts to lose a lot of steam in the second half, so TMOLS really feels like a chore to get through.  I usually only listen to the album now with a revised track listing where I have cut out the worst song in the DT catalog and rearranged the track order.  On that playlist, TMOLS is the album closer.  I sometimes still just skip it altogether and don't bother listening to it.  But I occasionally let it play, and I have to say, it works better to close out the album than it does buried in a weak second half of an album that starts off incredibly strong, but then feels like it fizzles out due to tracks like this one.  I really HATE seeing terms like "over-long," "pretentious," "boring," etc. used in connection with Dream Theater at all.  But...I really can't argue with terms like that being used to describe this song.  I apologize to those who like it, but I just don't.

46.  The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun - Weakest song on WDADU.  I hear a few cool ideas buried in there.  But overall, there isn't anything that grabs me at all and makes me want to listen.  When I listen to WDADRU, it's just a song that I feel takes up a bit of space while I am waiting for the much-better Only A Matter Of Time.  Of course, James' voice being so tired by that point in the set does not do the song any favors.  But the album version is not any better. 

Wow, only 4 more to go...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:12:10 AM by bosk1 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
Yeah, it seems like every major progressive rock or metal band has that one song that validates the opinion of those who accuse prog of being overly long, pretentious, and for Dream Theater, that song is most certainly The Ministry of Lost Souls. It has some great moments, especially the last several minutes, but it is difficult work just getting to that point.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #236 on: March 27, 2013, 09:08:31 AM »
No-one ever understands the awesomeness of TOWHTSTS :sadpanda:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2013, 09:21:28 AM »
I don't think pretentious applies to TMOLS at all, maybe more like self indulgent. It is overly long. Let's just go with that.
It is a beautiful song, but the instrumental section in this one isn't necessary. The guitar solo is killer, but the rest does little for me.

And you can't go wrong with a pick from WDADU for the bottom end of DT's catalog. :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »
Finally I agree with your pick, with TMOLS. It's probably my least favourite DT song. I think I've managed to sit through the whole song ONCE without falling asleep.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2013, 09:27:59 AM »
And you can't go wrong with a pick from WDADU for the bottom end of DT's catalog. :tup

And I still have one last shout out to give Awake as well.  ;)

So, any guesses for my bottom 4?  Two of them should be obvious at this stage.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: March 27, 2013, 09:29:51 AM »

And I still have one last shout out to give Awake as well.  ;)

So, any guesses for my bottom 4?  Two of them should be obvious at this stage.

What are the chances your choice ends up being one of the ones I actually like? :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #241 on: March 27, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
Space-Dye Vest, definitely, and Prophets of War (though I disagree with the placement of both). Unsure on the other two... You Not Me? Just Let Me Breathe? :dunno:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

« Reply #242 on: March 27, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »
TMOLS is a top 10 song for me. But TOWHTSTS is clearly a weak point.

SDV, PoW and YNM are three. And, I don't know...something off SDOIT or 8V.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:46 AM »
I won't speak of the future entries of this list, because I know them not, but I can agree with the dislike of The Ones. As for TMOLS, I used to love it, about 4 years ago, but unfortunately for it things have changed a lot since then. Now it's well outside the top 50, even though I have to say that listening to it for the first time in quite some time today, I enjoyed it more than expected.
- Marco

Offline lithium112

« Reply #244 on: March 27, 2013, 10:36:08 AM »
TMOLS is a top 10 song for me.

This. Such a beautiful song. It was my favourite song on SC until I stuck ITPOE 1 and 2 together.