Author Topic: The Official 2013 NFL Thread  (Read 347294 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Official 2013 NFL Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »
Wes Welker signing with Denver for 2 years/ $12 mil?!  Very Ray Allen of him.

Haha, I just knew Boston fans were gonna brand him a traitor like they did Ray Allen, Johnny Damon, etc.   :lol :lol :lol :lol

As a Bronco fan, I like the deal, given that they didn't have to pay him a lot.

As for Amendola in NE, he is good, but he is not very durable, so I am not sure he can take the pounding that Welker did catching all of those short passes over the middle and getting drilled.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2013, 05:39:43 AM »
I'm not labeling him that at all Kev.  I hate seeing him go for sure.  Something has not been right between him and the Hoodie for a while and the offers got smaller and smaller.  It's no doubt for the years and the money he signed for the Pat's made it obvioud they didn't want him back.  BB is getting bashed here for sure.

Ray Allen was the same thing.  Didn't feel loved and could have taken a longer deal for more money with a no trade claus in it but in the end, didn't feel wanted and took less with another good team.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »
Among the other proposed rule changes is a modification to illegal challenges by coaches. The competition committee is looking to do away with a rule that prevents challenges if a coach illegally throws his red flag on a play that was to be automatically reviewed.
THANK YOU!!!

https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9053231/nfl-competition-committee-looking-tuck-rule

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »
Texans have officially lost Glover Quin to Detroit, Connor Barwin signed with Philly (same with James Casey), and Ed Reed is visiting with the Texans brass today.

So, this basically means that we're in the market for a safety and possibly another WR so the work is not all on Andre Johnson's shoulders.

I also saw something on FB that Johnny Football signed with Irving Bay.  Not that I care about Irving Bay or anything. :xbones

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »
I think Randy Moss is available.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
I think Randy Moss is available.

Um... no. :rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
I said it jokingly, but he was actually pretty good for us this last year.  His receiving numbers weren't great, but that wasn't for lack of effort on his part.  He just wasn't targeted often.  But he came through in spades as a blocker and a mentor for the young guys, believe it or not. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »
Oh, I know.  It's just that he's not getting younger, and he's already been in the league for quite a while.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2013, 08:37:31 PM »
With us getting Gonzo back and signing Steven Jackson, here's to hoping those 17-0 leads turn into 28-0 leads.  Plus, now we can draft defense exclusively.  SF and Seattle not getting any weaker to put it mildly, but I think we can hang.  Rise up!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2013, 05:15:19 AM »
Wes Welker signing with Denver for 2 years/ $12 mil?!  Very Ray Allen of him.

Haha, I just knew Boston fans were gonna brand him a traitor like they did Ray Allen, Johnny Damon, etc.   :lol :lol :lol :lol

As a Bronco fan, I like the deal, given that they didn't have to pay him a lot.

As for Amendola in NE, he is good, but he is not very durable, so I am not sure he can take the pounding that Welker did catching all of those short passes over the middle and getting drilled.

Still waiting on your response Kev.  Again your perspective of us it way off base.  BB is getting bashed by fans and media here.  Like I said it's very Ray Allen like that he felt unwanted and went to another good team.  It really does sting us here.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »
Okay, if this one is going differently, okay, I believe you, but I know that a lot of Boston fans cried "Traitor!" when both Allen and Damon left town for a rival.  It was natural to assume that the same thing would happen this time...

But I suspect the situation with Welker is annoying for Bostonians cause he really didn't ask for a lot of money.  I mean, if they didn't want to pay Welker big bucks and wanted a supposed younger version of him (Amendola) for cheap, that would have made sense, but giving Amendola more money than they even offered Welker?  That boggles the mind, and I think it speaks to the personal vendetta Belichick seemed to have against Welker. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
Damon yes,  because of the Sox/Yankees.  But real fans know how could Damon pass it up and we all know that the Sox didn't want him back.

Allen, was upset because he was on the trading block and that tickek him off.  So he took less to go to the Heat, which again, a huge rival.  Hard to swallow as a fan but you can understand him.

And yes, I think something was up between BB and Welker.  Welker sat the first wuarter in a playoff game for making comment about Rex Ryan's foot fettish and so forth.  I am with everyone that 6 mil for 2 years is a steal for 112 catches a year.  I don't understand BB's thought process.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2013, 09:45:31 AM »
Okay, if this one is going differently, okay, I believe you, but I know that a lot of Boston fans cried "Traitor!" when both Allen and Damon left town for a rival. 

Is that ever not the case when a good player leaves unexpectedly? Seems like normal fandom to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »
It is hard to argue with the success of the Patriots over the years (when you are consistently a top contender every year, regardless of whether or not you win it all, that speaks volumes), but defense is Belichick's bread and butter is defense, and their defense has stunk for years now.  The fact that they have gone 39-9 in the last three regular seasons combined is mostly thanks to Tom Brady and the offense, and I think Belichick probably thinks that as long as he has Brady, he can just throw any WRs into that system, especially with those two TEs, and they'll be fine.  And he might be right.  But while it is easy to say that Brady and the system made Welker, it is worth pointing out that Brady was never a QB who put up crazy great passing numbers before he had Welker (and Moss, of course, but Brady has continued to put up huge numbers w/o Moss and with Welker).  Not saying that Welker makes Brady (no, it truly is the opposite more than anything), but I think it's a matter of both making the other better.  And Belichick is apparently too stuck on himself to see that. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
Can not disagree at all Kev.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »
Not all Patriots fans are taking it well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KaSCWDfmSPY

Classy.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »
Can't catch in the playoffs? Brady was FORCING throws into Wes Welker, who was bringing them in knowing full well he was gonna get clotheslined seconds later.

If anything, Brady started looking a little bit dependent on Welker's ability to haul catches in even when he was on a collision course.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »
If Welker and Belichick didn't get along well, then that's that. Belichick has long has a thing for wanting his type of players, and more often than not he's picked them right. Personally, I don't get Amandola over Welker, but I have a fair amount of faith that Belichick knows what he's doing.

Also, why are we assuming that Amandola will be taking over Welker's role? I don't think anybody expects DA to take the sort of pounding that Welker did when he couldn't even complete a season on the outside. My guess is that Hernadez fills the WW role while DA plays split end.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2013, 12:11:34 PM »
Can't catch in the playoffs? Brady was FORCING throws into Wes Welker, who was bringing them in knowing full well he was gonna get clotheslined seconds later.

If anything, Brady started looking a little bit dependent on Welker's ability to haul catches in even when he was on a collision course.

Not to mention that Welker's "drop" in the Super Bowl 13 months ago against the Giants was a) more of a bad throw by Brady, b) would not have sealed the game for the Patriots (even though many like to talk like it would have).

Also, why are we assuming that Amandola will be taking over Welker's role? I don't think anybody expects DA to take the sort of pounding that Welker did when he couldn't even complete a season on the outside. My guess is that Hernadez fills the WW role while DA plays split end.

That is possible.  NE signed Donald Jones today, and is reportedly talking to Emmanuel Sanders today, but right now, their three main pass catchers are all injury-prone players (Gronk, Hernandez and Amendola). I guess they can hope that only one of those guys is hurt at any given time. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2013, 02:32:59 PM »
Not all Patriots fans are taking it well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KaSCWDfmSPY

Classy.

Man you've got a hard on with us don't you?! :lol

And yes, can we get a guy that can catch that plays 16 games please?!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2013, 03:46:02 PM »
So Pat's resigned Talib for one year.  That good news now for the weird stuff.

They released Brandon Lloyd.  So we've lost in the receiving corps (I'm including RB's that catch)

Welker
Lloyd
Woodhead
Julian Endelman is still a free agent.

Man, talk about a revolving door again for Brady.  Crazy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
"Dumervil Released After Paperwork Snafu"

https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9057191/denver-broncos-release-elvis-dumervil-according-sources

Infuriating situation, to say the least.  The actions of a moronic agent might end up costing the Broncos one of the league's best pass rushers. :censored :censored :censored

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »
Yeah... now they're saying Doom fired his agent. Messy situation to say the least, I really hope we can keep him but it's not looking good at all. According to "an NFL source", the Broncos are moving on without Elvis. Not sure how credible an unnamed source is though.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
Greg Jennings to the Vikings...ugh

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2013, 06:24:35 PM »
Yeah, that's going to be weird to see. I think the Packers made the right decision to move on without him though, as hard as it may be to swallow for the fans.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »
Yeah, that's going to be weird to see. I think the Packers made the right decision to move on without him though, as hard as it may be to swallow for the fans.

He was the only one who could catch the fucking ball.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »
Jennings has been too injury-prone to pay the amount of money he wanted.  Sure, he's great when he plays, but if he can't stay on the field, it doesn't really matter.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2013, 10:05:09 AM »
Jennings has been too injury-prone to pay the amount of money he wanted.  Sure, he's great when he plays, but if he can't stay on the field, it doesn't really matter.

Guess I hadn't realized that he hadn't been on the field that much.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2013, 10:12:21 AM »
I agree with the Packers decision to not overpay Greg Jennings, but is Ted Thompson gonna just sit there and watch the other top NFC contenders improve their teams while he stands pat and does nothing?  I know he is a big advocate of building through the draft, which is smart over the long haul, but you don't want to waste the rest of Aaron Rodgers' prime by being just good enough to win 11 games every year, but not good enough to make it out of the tough NFC.  They weren't as good as Atlanta or SF last year, and Seattle was right there, and all of those teams have seemingly improved so far in free agency, while the Packers are doing nothing.  Granted, you can get good deals via free agency once the big deals of the first few days are done, but if I am a Packer fan, I would be worried that Thompson will do his usual M.O., which will leave the Packers not quite on the level of those other NFC teams.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »
The defense needs a huge overhaul (letting Woodson go was probably a good thing) and we're down 2 receivers now. UGH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2013, 12:18:28 PM »
I wouldn't sweat losing Finley.  He has never lived up to the hype, and is a loud-mouthed doofus of the highest order.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »
Looks like the Texans signed OT Andrew Gardner, who came from the Dolphins.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2013, 09:38:05 PM »
I wouldn't sweat losing Finley.  He has never lived up to the hype, and is a loud-mouthed doofus of the highest order.

I was thinking Driver

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2013, 09:45:01 PM »

I was thinking Driver
Well you certainly shouldn't sweat losing Driver. Emotionally, sure, but he has no business seeing the field.