Author Topic: The Official 2013 NFL Thread  (Read 347285 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: The Official 2013 NFL Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21811148/joe-flacco-on-new-contract-not-about-money-its-about-the-respect

"It was never about earning the money and all that. It was about earning the respect," Flacco said Monday at his press conference announcing the new deal. "Definitely about earning that respect and feeling that respect around here. The fact that we got it done and that they made me [the highest-paid player in the NFL] definitely makes me feel good about how we played and how they feel about me."

Well, if that's all it is he might want to volunteer some of it back to help with cap space.  Sheesh, hold your team up like that just to feel respect?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »
I am hopeful that this year, the Panthers will take full advantage of having a QB like Cam Newton.

Of course, I was hopeful before last season, as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 01:42:20 PM »
That is glorious

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »
:lol  I like the Redskins one the best.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
bosk1, Andy Reid can't get to Superbowls. :lol

Yeah he can, he just didn't win.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
1 Super Bowl appearance out of 5 conference championship games.  OK, he got there once, but it's fair to make light of his ability to get to the Super Bowl.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »

It was a joke and since he played a team I'm a fan of, I know silly!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
49ers part ways with Akers:  https://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-release-kicker-david-akers

Makes me a bit sad, but it is absolutely the right move, and I think most people saw this coming a mile away.  When a team needs cap space, you don't pay a kicker as much as Akers gets paid unless he is truly in a small class of elite, clutch kickers who you KNOW will come through for you in any given situation. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 10:00:17 AM »

It was a joke and since he played a team I'm a fan of, I know silly!

Oh, I see.  Sorry I didn't pick up on that.  Wasn't that the SB game when Philly had a perfect opportunity to tie the score with a FG or win with a TD in the final 2 mins?  However, extremely poor clock manangement by the Eagles allowed the Pats to win by 3 points if my memory serves me correctly.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 10:09:19 AM »
Yup.  Donovan Mcnabb was gasping for air in the huddle.  Those are the moments that make or break a player.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
   Wasn't that the SB game when Philly had a perfect opportunity to tie the score with a FG or win with a TD in the final 2 mins?  However, extremely poor clock manangement by the Eagles allowed the Pats to win by 3 points if my memory serves me correctly.

That's actually not entirely accurate.  The drive where McNabb was tired and where the Eagles had poor clock management did eventually result in a touchdown to make it 24-21, and by the time the Eagles got the ball back with a chance to tie, it was them getting the ball back at their own 4 with 46 seconds left and no timeouts.  I'm no McNabb fan, but he did lead them 79 yards in 3 minutes and 45 seconds for a touchdown on the Eagles 2nd to last drive to cut the lead to 3.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
True but inevitably his mis management of the clock helped the Pats win.  remember how many injured players the secondary for the Pats had in the second half?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2013, 01:53:47 PM »
True but inevitably his mis management of the clock helped the Pats win.  remember how many injured players the secondary for the Pats had in the second half?

No. I think it was the Super Bowl against Carolina where the Patriots lost a few defensive players.

Anyway, Percy Harvin to Seattle looks like all but a done deal.  That could make the Seahawks the team to beat in the NFC West.  The 49ers were only a hair better than them last year, and Harvin is a good enough playmaker to possibly give them the edge.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
I doubt it.  I think they were a flash in the pan this last year.  I am not expecting a repeat performance.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
The Ravens give away Boldin to the 49ers (for a 6th).

The Seahawk/49er Arms race continues.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »
:omg:  Whoa!  I did NOT see that coming.  And for a 6th round pick?  That's insane!  I think the '9ers definitely got the best of that deal (although I'm guessing the Ravens have some big cap pressure with what they are paying Flacco, so they had to make some tough choices somewhere I guess).

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »
It was a great deal or both sides. The Ravens are in no position to spend that kind of money on an aging receiver.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »
Great deals for both Seattle and SF.  Sea/SF could be the NE/Indy of the 10s.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Great deals for both Seattle and SF.  Sea/SF could be the NE/Indy of the 10s.

Both teams are so strong and so young.  That doesn't bode well for our NFC teams.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
Wes Welker signing with Denver for 2 years/ $12 mil?!  Very Ray Allen of him.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »
Wes Welker signing with Denver for 2 years/ $12 mil?!  Very Ray Allen of him.
What do you mean?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
I still don't get the Ray Allen connection. Did the Celtics try to low ball him like the Pats did with Welker?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Just the opposite.  Both the C's and the Pats offered more years and more money.  Both Ray and Wes did not feel wanted.  Lest year the Pats offered 3 years 9 mil and he declined.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
Welker's $12 million contract with the Broncos is fully guaranteed.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2013, 05:00:09 PM »
Wow.  Broncos just got scary.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
Amendola's 5-year, $31 million contract with the Patriots, however, only includes a guaranteed $10 million.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »
Wow.  Broncos just got scary.

Dayum!

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2013, 08:43:21 PM »
Welcome to Denver, Wes  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
Broncos RBs just went "shiiiit! We ain't doin' nutin' dis year".

Also, although I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Flacco's contract, the Ravens offseason has been pretty funny and I cannot stop thinking "well, Flacco wanted to get paid" everytime they lose another player.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
Amendola's 5-year, $31 million contract with the Patriots, however, only includes a guaranteed $10 million.
Amendola is a good receiver.....he was just about the only target Bradford had. He was compared to Welker a lot because their size/build is simlar and they play a similar game. Only thing is, he missed quite some time last year with a bum shoulder.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 08:48:58 PM »
If Amendola can stay healthy, the Pats won't miss Welker much.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »
Broncos RBs just went "shiiiit! We ain't doin' nutin' dis year".

Also, although I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Flacco's contract, the Ravens offseason has been pretty funny and I cannot stop thinking "well, Flacco wanted to get paid" everytime they lose another player.
I'm sure Flacco's contract has something to do with it.  He's getting too much money, other teams are strapped when signing qb's big, why wouldn't the Ravens be at the biggest contract yet?  They may have planned some dumps anyways, but I'm sure he's a part of the sudden exodus.

Jennings is starting to look like he might be back with the Packers.  He's not had success shopping himself around, Vikings pulled out of negotiations with him recently and others are signing.  Packers are just sitting on him and Finley hoping they come down to their price, which is starting to look possible all of a sudden.  Still hope Finley goes, the guy kills so many drives even my wife can't stand him.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »
Amendola is a good receiver.....he was just about the only target Bradford had. He was compared to Welker a lot because their size/build is simlar and they play a similar game. Only thing is, he missed quite some time last year with a bum shoulder.
IF Amendola can stay healthy, I actually think the Patriots are better off (long-term, anyway). It's a big if, though.