Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50439 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30
« Reply #1050 on: April 29, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
Midnight Lullaby? :lol

OK, well, for the most part. :lol

Personally, I think it's a bit silly to read too much into song titles before the songs are actually heard.  I mean, can anyone honestly say they would have thought "Best I Can" or "Silent Lucidity" would have been cool songs based just on the titles?

Umm , Bosk, they're not cool songs! Well Best I Can is anyways.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1051 on: April 29, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »
Midnight Lullaby? :lol

OK, well, for the most part. :lol

Personally, I think it's a bit silly to read too much into song titles before the songs are actually heard.  I mean, can anyone honestly say they would have thought "Best I Can" or "Silent Lucidity" would have been cool songs based just on the titles?

"Silent Lucidity" sounds cool.  "Midnight Lullaby" doesn't.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1052 on: April 29, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
Silent Lucidity is awesome, and I will throw down with anyone who says otherwise. :biggrin:

As for the self-titled thing, why do I not like it?  Because I don't.  Maybe I have been conditioned to think that only debut albums should be self-titled since 99% of the self-titled albums likely are debut albums (and I am aware of the exceptions), but there it is. ;)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: April 29, 2013, 02:04:07 PM »
I don't like self-titled albums either, and, I guess like Kev, don't have a good reason. I would even prefer that debut albums have a name. 

I do like the build-up the guys are working on with this release. While minor, and irrelevent if the music sucks, the album cover reveal was neat.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1054 on: April 29, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
When a band does it later on in their career, it's generally a restatement.  They've gone through some changes, but they're still Queensr˙che.  Spock's Beard did it, Genesis did it, Fleetwood Mac did it twice (both times after major changes), the list goes on and on.

Michael Schenker did it with just about every album  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1055 on: April 29, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
When a band does it later on in their career, it's generally a restatement.  They've gone through some changes, but they're still Queensr˙che.  Spock's Beard did it, Genesis did it, Fleetwood Mac did it twice (both times after major changes), the list goes on and on.

Yeah! He's done it a few times.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: April 29, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »
I think the self titled aspect probably has something to do with this being a new beginning. A fresh start and all that...

Personal thoughts? That is one tasty looking tracklisting. Intrigued to hear some of these songs.

I agree.  This is a new beginning and a fresh start.  It just drives home the point that they are the one and only Queensryche; accept no imitations.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #1057 on: April 29, 2013, 03:01:18 PM »

Well, yeah. Obviously it'd be silly to put any real stock in something like that. I just think it kind of fun to speculate what the songs could conceivably sound like based on their titles, s'all.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1058 on: April 29, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
I am not a fan of bands releasing self-titled albums when it isn't their first, but whatever. 

It's hard to explain, but I feel the same way.

Edit: And even though I'm sure Tate loves his childish F.U. title I think he's kicking himself now for not going the self-titled route.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1059 on: April 29, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »

Yeah, and Peter Gabriel did it for his first three.  He was gonna do the fourth one as well, but the label insisted on a title, at least for the U.S. release.  That's why they all have similar covers, with the name and the font the same.  For his fifth album, he finally broke the mold, but used the shortest word he could think of at the time: "So".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: April 29, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »
Eh, I'm a bit torn on the self titled thing also, especially since the first EP is always referred to as self titled.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

:lol When the whole thing's revealed, you need to post your finished version on their Facebook page.

It looks like someone already posted it on their FB page. Who was that? :lol

I confess....it was me.  Didn't mean to steal anyone's thunder...just thought it was funny.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1062 on: April 29, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »
Called it.

Anyway, I have two rules for self-titled albums: either do it for the debut, or do it when you're redefining yourself and doing it as a statement (i.e. changed your sound, had a major line-up change, returned after a long-ass hiatus). I'm fine with them doing this.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1063 on: April 29, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »
Who here used to be an old school QR fan from the 80's and 90's and now can't stand what they've become?  I don't have the slightest bit of interest in this band anymore.  Haven't for quite some time.  I want the old QR back.  Wishful thinking.  I'll just have to break out the classics and be thankful I still have those.

:2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1064 on: April 29, 2013, 04:35:19 PM »
Who here used to be an old school QR fan from the 80's and 90's and now can't stand what they've become?  I don't have the slightest bit of interest in this band anymore.  Haven't for quite some time.  I want the old QR back.  Wishful thinking.  I'll just have to break out the classics and be thankful I still have those.

I echo the initial statement but I'm hopeful of a decent album from what's left of the real QR.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1065 on: April 29, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »

I heard QotR when it was played on KZOK for the first time....that's about as old school as it can get.     I can't stand what they *became* under Geoff Tate's direction...but I am VERY PROUD of where they are at this moment.   I only wish they had ousted Geoff sooner.    The guy has had this reputation in the Seattle area since the EP (in other words, fame didn't do this to him...he's ALWAYS been that way).    As long as he was the greatest voice in rock, most people were willing to overlook it.   But once the talent was gone...what was the point? 

I think the new album is going to kick ALL KINDS of ass, and it will be the first time QR will be a "first day" purchase for me in a *very* long time.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1066 on: April 29, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »

...I can't stand what they *became* under Geoff Tate's direction...but I am VERY PROUD of where they are at this moment.   I only wish they had ousted Geoff sooner.   

This.  Now that Geoff is out, there is not reason to not be able to "stand what they've become."  If Redemption is any indication, what they are doing now is on par with the classics.  And their live show is definitely up to par.  I have no issue with the current state of the band whatsoever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #1067 on: April 30, 2013, 02:12:36 AM »
I can't stand what they *became* under Geoff Tate's direction...but I am VERY PROUD of where they are at this moment.   I only wish they had ousted Geoff sooner.

100x this.

I'll be stunned (and delighted) if the new lineup puts out anything as good as their early output, but I'll also be surprised if they put out something that's not better than Mindcrime II, American Soldier, Dedicated To Chaos and FU and that doesn't sound a hell of a lot more like classic Queensryche than any of the recent efforts.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1068 on: April 30, 2013, 06:26:53 AM »
My expectations for this album are something in the Promised Land range of quality.  Not expecting anything as good as Rage/Mindcrime/Empire, but definitely expecting miles of improvement over the Q2K and Mindcrime II debacles.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1069 on: April 30, 2013, 06:40:26 AM »
My expectations for this album are something in the Promised Land range of quality.  Not expecting anything as good as Rage/Mindcrime/Empire, but definitely expecting miles of improvement over the Q2K and Mindcrime II debacles.

Yeah, that's reasonable.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: April 30, 2013, 10:36:55 AM »
My expectations are extremely high for this one. Maybe it's because QR has released disappointment after disappointment and this is pretty much their last chance.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1071 on: April 30, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »
My expectations are extremely high for this one. Maybe it's because QR has released disappointment after disappointment and this is pretty much their last chance.

But "last chance" for what?  I mean, I had written them off in the past, and didn't buy DtC (well, I did eventually find a used copy for a couple of bucks WAY after the release date, but you get what I'm saying).  No interest in buying their material.  No interest in their live show.  Nothing.  Because I knew they couldn't deliver anything I was interested in, and they had consistently proven that over a long period of time and had finally gotten to the point where it was clear they had no intention or ability of delivering anything I was interested in with Tate at the helm.

In a way, I guess I'd have to say I can't really view this as a "last chance" kind of album because, even if it ends up not being very good, they are doing things that I am intersted in again.  Let's assume the worst and say that Redemption is the only decent song on the album, and the rest of it just falls short.  I'd still follow them because (1) I've seen a desire to deliver things that I like, and I'd be willing to give them a bit more time to see if they find their way in terms of writing new music that interests me, and (2) they've shown that they can bring the goods in a live setting again, and I am now re-interested in seeing them live again.

But I don't really believe they'll deliver a bad or even a mediocre album.  Honestly, I'm not so optimistic as to believe that Redemption is the worst song on the album and that the rest of it will blow my mind.  But I like Redemption a lot.  And if it is a fair representation of what the album will sound like (and I think it likely is), I am confident I will like the album a lot, even if Redemption is just kind of middle of the road for the album, and there are some songs that are as good, and some songs that don't measure up.  That will still be a "good album" in my opinion.  And that's fine.  I don't expect Queensryche to be my favorite band anymore, and I don't really care.  If they put out good albums again, that'll be just fine with me.  And I think they're capable of doing that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: April 30, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »
For me, the "last chance" is already expired, so this album is more like a second life for QR. While I'm sure it'll be better than DtC, if it's just as dull as American Soldier or Mindcrime II I won't be impressed enough to continue following the band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1073 on: April 30, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »
For me, the "last chance" is already expired, so this album is more like a second life for QR. While I'm sure it'll be better than DtC, if it's just as dull as American Soldier or Mindcrime II I won't be impressed enough to continue following the band.
I agree, Perp.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1074 on: April 30, 2013, 11:53:37 AM »
I guess I kind of see what you are saying.  But to take American Soldier as an example, IMO, the only things that album were lacking were (1) enthusiasm, and (2) good vocals.  Add those two things to the mix, and you have an outstanding album, IMO.  They've already proven to me that this lineup can deliver the enthusiasm and the solid vocals.  So if they give me something where the writing is on par with American Soldier with those two elements added, and I'll be thrilled.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1075 on: April 30, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »

But "last chance" for what?  I mean, I had written them off in the past, and didn't buy DtC (well, I did eventually find a used copy for a couple of bucks WAY after the release date, but you get what I'm saying).  No interest in buying their material.  No interest in their live show.  Nothing.  Because I knew they couldn't deliver anything I was interested in, and they had consistently proven that over a long period of time and had finally gotten to the point where it was clear they had no intention or ability of delivering anything I was interested in with Tate at the helm.

In a way, I guess I'd have to say I can't really view this as a "last chance" kind of album because, even if it ends up not being very good, they are doing things that I am intersted in again.  Let's assume the worst and say that Redemption is the only decent song on the album, and the rest of it just falls short.  I'd still follow them because (1) I've seen a desire to deliver things that I like, and I'd be willing to give them a bit more time to see if they find their way in terms of writing new music that interests me, and (2) they've shown that they can bring the goods in a live setting again, and I am now re-interested in seeing them live again.

But I don't really believe they'll deliver a bad or even a mediocre album.  Honestly, I'm not so optimistic as to believe that Redemption is the worst song on the album and that the rest of it will blow my mind.  But I like Redemption a lot.  And if it is a fair representation of what the album will sound like (and I think it likely is), I am confident I will like the album a lot, even if Redemption is just kind of middle of the road for the album, and there are some songs that are as good, and some songs that don't measure up.  That will still be a "good album" in my opinion.  And that's fine.  I don't expect Queensryche to be my favorite band anymore, and I don't really care.  If they put out good albums again, that'll be just fine with me.  And I think they're capable of doing that.

Great post Bosk1  :tup

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: April 30, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »
For me personally, this is a chance for QR to redeem themselves and be currently relevant. I view QR from the EP to Promised Land as one of the coolest bands on the planet. Everything that's been released since, I can take or leave and not care too much. I want this release to be a continuation in some ways of Promised Land and something I can be exited for. In the last year I have never watched more YouTube clips that I have with the TLT lead QR. I have been very impressed and that gives me hope that this release will redeem the name Queensryche to the metal community. Because let's be honest, the name QR has taken a beating. IMO the band would've officially died if they stayed with Tate; so this was the only choice to start over.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1077 on: April 30, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »

Very well said, sir. Also, your post said what I'm going to say next, but I'm putting it into different terms. This feels like hungry band again.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1078 on: May 02, 2013, 08:13:52 AM »
Queensryche was in L.A. last night, and their label did a private listening party at the Viper Club in West Hollywood, followed by a short performance by the band.  It was mostly for "insiders," but a few fans were let in as well.  A couple of Breakdown Room regulars were posting about going, and from what I understand, the band's management and lawyer saw the posts and personally went out to get those fans into the venue.  Major props to the band for making that happen.  Early reviews of the songs on the album are VERY positive.

Here's an unofficial set list (may not be complete, and may be out of order--it was just from memory after the fact from one of the two fans who attended):
Queen of the Ryche
Walk In The Shadows
The Whisper
En Force
Warning
Needle Lies
Redemption (new song from the forthcoming album)
Take Hold of the Flame
Eyes of a Stranger
Empire

If you want to read more about it:  https://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=4209.0

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1079 on: May 02, 2013, 08:54:52 AM »
That's a nice set list, but it strikes me as having the same problem that a lot of set lists by older bands have: it is basically all songs that are 20+ years old and then one or two token new songs.  It is like the band is acknowledging, "Yes, all of our best stuff was decades ago, and we are way past our prime."  I am not saying they should play any of the crap they have released in the last 15 years, just that at face value, that is how that set list comes across to me. 

If the new stuff they wrote is really good at all, why aren't they playing more of it?  The easy argument would be, "They don't want fans to hear the rest until the album drops," and that might be fine, but considering how many fans they have lost over the years, they could use some good buzz to get some excitement going for the new record, and people talking about multiple new songs that sound great live could only work in their favor, no?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1080 on: May 02, 2013, 08:58:13 AM »
They're going to start playing more of the new songs.  Remember, this was just a private listening party 6 weeks before the album even drops. 

this was an invite only show for Century Media people...

Viper Room was cool....but SMALL!!!  I think max capacity was about 175, but there were close to 300 people crammed in there!  Scott & Todd hit the stage, thank everyone for coming out and supporting them...then announce they're going to spin the new CD, and then the band will come out and play a short set.

I don't think they've learned the new stuff well enough to play it yet.  But they've said they plan to play the new stuff.  This was primarily for insiders to hear the entire album now that mixing and mastering is done, and for the band to come out and jam a bit.  I see your bigger point, but I don't think this particular set list is an indication of any unwillingness to play the new stuff.  They will play it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:24:58 AM by bosk1 »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1081 on: May 02, 2013, 08:10:26 PM »
Not sure if this is the new or old twitter, but the one that the official band holds has 30k followers https://twitter.com/queensryche

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1082 on: May 02, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »
That's the real twitter.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1083 on: May 03, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »

I echo the initial statement but I'm hopeful of a decent album from what's left of the real QR.

I'll probably get the new album only out of curiousity.  Just to be able to say that I listened to it at least once.  If it turns out to be a decent album within the genre of hard rock and heavy metal, then fine.  I have no hopes whatsoever of it being anywhere close to the level that the real Queensryche had once attained.  In my mind, the real Queensryche doesn't exist anymore.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1084 on: May 03, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »
In my mind, the real Queensryche doesn't exist anymore.

Your mind is defective.