Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50437 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Here we go!  The quality isn't great, but here's the first video to surface of Glen playing Take Hold with the guys:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Iu7w4Dyig

He put a little shred into the solo. Cool vid.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
If any of you guys are members on other forums where there are likely to be Queensryche fans, spread the word about the new album and the tour, and about how this is the official version of the band--not the counterfeit led by Geoff Tate that is out there using the Queensryche name and falsely claiming that F.U. is the "thirteenth album by Queensryche."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Of course I agree with you in principle, but having not followed the legal case of late, aren't they technically (and sadly) still both official versions of Queensryche?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Of course I agree with you in principle, but having not followed the legal case of late, aren't they technically (and sadly) still both official versions of Queensryche?

I get how the argument can be made either way.  But in the strictest sense of the word, no, I don't believe they are both "official" versions of Queensryche.  They can both use the name for now, but that does not make such use of the name equally valid by Geoff.  There are two important reasons why: 

First, the judge did not give Geoff permission to use the name, as some would spin it.  She simply declined to issue a ruling that would stop him from using it.  That is a very subtle, but also very important, distinction.  Tate does not have the Court's blessing to use the name.  The Court is just not going to actively intervene until the issue is decided at trial or the parties settle.

Second, Geoff is a 25% minority shareholder.  Anything a minority shareholder of a corporation does without permission from the majority of the shareholders is not considered an "official" act of the corporation. So, no, it's not official by any stretch, either in a legal sense or in the more common, everyday sense.

But regardless of whether anyone is comfortable making the "official"/"unofficial" distinction, people can still spread the word so that people actually know.  The vast majority of people who go to see a "Queensryche" show or buy the "new Queensryche album" will not know there is a split and will not know that the official band is actively touring and getting ready to release an album.  So if they hear about the Tate version, that may be all they know or care about unless they have the other side as well.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know bosk1 is not fond of Geoff Tate, but I have a chance to see G.T's Queensryche in late April here in town and I may just do so. It's a "25th anniversary Operation: Mindcrime tour"... that said if the "other" Q.R decides to come this way too maybe I'll go see them both.

To be honest, I just can't imagine QR without Geoff's voice.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I know bosk1 is not fond of Geoff Tate, but I have a chance to see G.T's Queensryche in late April here in town and I may just do so. It's a "25th anniversary Operation: Mindcrime tour"... that said if the "other" Q.R decides to come this way too maybe I'll go see them both.

Tood sounds more like Geoff than Geoff has in the past 10 years.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Todd sounds live like a prime Geoff studio performance.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Played by musicians who had nothing to do with the original Mindcrime.  This is like going to see a tribute band, except you are getting a washed-up Tate, instead of a young singer who could channel the in-his-prime Tate.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Played by musicians who had nothing to do with the original Mindcrime.  This is like going to see a tribute band, except you are getting a washed-up Tate, instead of a young singer who could channel the in-his-prime Tate.

Maybe so, but I can't be sure the "real" QR (if you want to call them that) will be coming around here soon. I want to see O.M performed live in it's entirety.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
You know, when they played Mindcrime in its entirety on the Empire tour it was pretty cool.  Now, the novelty is starting fade. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
You know, when they played Mindcrime in its entirety on the Empire tour it was pretty cool.  Now, the novelty is starting fade.
I've never seen them live, so the Novelty is new to me. :)

Offline Lowdz

Who will sing the part of Mary in the tate version? Pamela nailed her flag to the "official" ship a while back. Mrs Tate? The daughter who sang on American Soldier?

Offline PowerSlave

I got to see that tour. Incredible show and that's where it should have been left. Instead, it's been worn out for quite awhile now. They toured the entire album a few years ago and released a dvd if memory serves me right. It's time for other/better QR songs to be featured and that's exactly what the official band is doing on tour right now.

It's time for this fiasco to end and hopefully these upcoming albums will finally put it to rest.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Maybe so, but I can't be sure the "real" QR (if you want to call them that) will be coming around here soon. I want to see O.M performed live in it's entirety.

You're right that I am not fond of Tate.  Whether you agree with me or not is your own business.  People are free to form their own opinions.  But as much as possible, I would prefer that people are educated enough to make an informed decision.  You are.  If what you want to see and are intending to see is Geoff Tate's "Queensryche," then cool.  I hope you enjoy it. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Who will sing the part of Mary in the tate version? Pamela nailed her flag to the "official" ship a while back. Mrs Tate? The daughter who sang on American Soldier?

I suspect they will either (1) just have the vocals piped in; (2) have Lita Ford perform that part (she guested on the new Tate album, and toured with the band awhile back before the split, so I could see her going out with Geoff's band); or (3) have some (cheap) no-name singer play the part.  I guess we'll see. 

What I can see fairly certainly is that Pamela Moore will NOT be touring with them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Here we go!  The quality isn't great, but here's the first video to surface of Glen playing Take Hold with the guys:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Iu7w4Dyig

He put a little shred into the solo. Cool vid.

Awesome solo.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Another video of Take Hold (video is a bit shakier, but the audio is more clear):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__bzJZLzQc

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Another video of Take Hold (video is a bit shakier, but the audio is more clear):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__bzJZLzQc
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
From Glen's Twitter:

Quote from: Glen Drover
A big thanks to Queensryche and their crew for everything. Had a great time. Here's a pic of me and michael

Offline Cruithne

Honest question: What is the most recent QR album you listened to?

I have a theory about people who've been espousing that kind of opinion so it'd be interesting to see how it bears out against reality.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Honest question: What is the most recent QR album you listened to?

I have a theory about people who've been espousing that kind of opinion so it'd be interesting to see how it bears out against reality.

Promised land.  The general consensus seems to be that anything after without DeGarmo has not been great.  I don't know most of the QR catalog, so take that for what it's worth.

As for people suggesting Geoff Tates QR is like a cover band playing the gigs... that's how I feel when key components (DeGarmo) get replaced in general... so to me BOTH QR editions are 'cover bands'.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

As for people suggesting Geoff Tates QR is like a cover band playing the gigs... that's how I feel when key components (DeGarmo) get replaced in general... so to me BOTH QR editions are 'cover bands'.

That doesn't make a whole lotta sense, considering 3/5 of the original Queensryche is still part of the band.  Was Dream Theater a cover band after Kevin Moore left because he was a key component of that band?  Of course not.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

That doesn't make a whole lotta sense, considering 3/5 of the original Queensryche is still part of the band.  Was Dream Theater a cover band after Kevin Moore left because he was a key component of that band?  Of course not.

Some would say yes to DT. But I'm not a fan on the "Kevin albums" as much as the later stuff.  As far as musicians go, most skilled musicians can fill the role but the lead singer is often the part that if replaced causes the most uproar (from what I've seen in the past). Of course there are exceptions to everything.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.

Some would say yes to DT. But I'm not a fan on the "Kevin albums" as much as the later stuff.  As far as musicians go, most skilled musicians can fill the role but the lead singer is often the part that if replaced causes the most uproar (from what I've seen in the past). Of course there are exceptions to everything.

So then DT stopped being DT when Charlie left?  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

So then DT stopped being DT when Charlie left?  :lol

Maybe to some. Not to me because of James.  I said everything has an exception.  If Charlie left after 20+ years with the band then I'd be saying the same thing about DT as I am QR if I felt he was a hard act to replace/follow.

MEH.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Don't make too much fun of Mindflux, he has a point.
DeGarmo was the main songwriter for the albums we consider "true" Queensryche. Whether the LaTorre Queensryche is any more "true" than the Tate Queensryche shouldn't be decided by the presence of band members that were less responsible for the "true" Queensryche sound.

I favour the LaTorre version because the guys seem more honest at trying to deliver a "true" Queensryche album.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
DeGarmo was the main songwriter for the albums we consider "true" Queensryche. Whether the LaTorre Queensryche is any more "true" than the Tate Queensryche shouldn't be decided by the presence of band members that were less responsible for the "true" Queensryche sound.

I favour the LaTorre version because the guys seem more honest at trying to deliver a "true" Queensryche album.

I don't favor either, presently. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the QR sound without Geoff.  I'll probably check out both versions albums and decide from there.

That said, I'll still probably go to the 4/24 showing of G.T's Queensryche here in town to see Operation: Mindcrime live.. and if the "real" QR with LaTorre comes around I'll go see that too.

Offline Lowdz

I don't favor either, presently. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the QR sound without Geoff.  I'll probably check out both versions albums and decide from there.

That said, I'll still probably go to the 4/24 showing of G.T's Queensryche here in town to see Operation: Mindcrime live.. and if the "real" QR with LaTorre comes around I'll go see that too.

Todd does a great "Geoff". You won't notice the difference. Except you're getting the songs in the key you recognise and a "Geoff" from 20 years ago, not the washed up has been he's become- from his own neglect of his instrument. Oh, and none of those shit songs not written by Queensryche.
There was a time I thought QR wouldn't be QR without Geoff, but that was before he ran the band into the ground with his "vision".

Offline Orthogonal

So, is their situation similar to what happened to Rhapsody? Maybe one group will be allowed to be officially called Geoff Tate's Queensryche, and the other just Queensryche.

Regardless, I haven't been anticipating the release of a QR album since probably Q2K (bleh). Very exciting to get something new this year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Show tonight was FANTASTIC. Will hopefully be able to post more tomorrow.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Todd does a great "Geoff". You won't notice the difference.

^This.  If we're getting the guy in the Take Hold of the Flame posted earlier, color me tickled pink.  Sounds like Tate in his prime is all I care about when I hear the old stuff.  Now to see if I can make it to Raleigh the weekend they are playing there.

Offline Cruithne

Promised land.  The general consensus seems to be that anything after without DeGarmo has not been great.  I don't know most of the QR catalog, so take that for what it's worth.

Obviously one anecdote does not data make... but you're not far off what I have in mind :)

There's a school of people who're saying "No Geoff, no Queensryche" and my guess is that the vast majority of them gave up on QR after the Hear In The Now Frontier album and if not then I certainly find it hard to believe they've listened to anything QR have put out since Tribe, which IMO is his last recorded performance that wasn't risible, particularly the covers album which has vocal performances that can best be described as embarrassing - the cover of Queen's Innuendo is a particularly egregious effort.

The Geoff Tate that I think people are referring to when they can't imagine a QR without him hasn't existed for years - as a singer, a live performer, a lyric writer and a personality - and as far as I'm concerned his ousting was long overdue.

I don't begrudge your interest in seeing Mindcrime performed live by Tate. I jumped at the chance of seeing it performed on the OM:II tour after all. I'm not even sure I'd want to see Queensryche perfom it in its entirety without him, even though Todd La Torre can do the songs justice in a way Tate hasn't been able to since the mid-90s: the album was most certainly a band effort, but the concept was very much driven by Tate and is fairly synonymous with him in my eyes.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

There's definitely some validity to that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
To a very minor degree. Back when these songs were written the rest of the band was actually heavily involved in the albums, even if DeGarmo was the main force behind the bulk of it and bringing everything together.

If Queensyrche were ever a cover band it's when they were playing all of O:MII or most of American Soldier on any given night.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
To a very minor degree. Back when these songs were written the rest of the band was actually heavily involved in the albums, even if DeGarmo was the main force behind the bulk of it and bringing everything together.

If Queensyrche were ever a cover band it's when they were playing all of O:MII or most of American Soldier on any given night.

Oh, I don't disagree. I think "Promised Land" and "Hear in the New Frontier" are both absolute dung, so even with the "real" QR back, it'd have high potential for stnik.

Right now, I really don't care which QR is the more authentic of the two, but rather which is more likely to put on a great show and put out a decent album. Tate's not gonna put on a great show, so there ya go. I have no idea how bad his album is gonna be, but considering all the talent InsideOut seems to want to get involved on it I won't be surprised if it's decent.