Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50075 times)

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
Re: Re: Queensryche
« Reply #840 on: February 25, 2013, 10:53:43 AM »
I think Tate/Cleopatra will end up putting "Geoff Tate's Queensryche" on the actual release...I guess we'll see.

I can't figure out why, if he's not into Metal (aside from the old stuff he may have grown up with) these days, why in the hell would he want the guys from Forbidden recording his album?  :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #841 on: February 25, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »
I think Tate/Cleopatra will end up putting "Geoff Tate's Queensryche" on the actual release...I guess we'll see.

I can't figure out why, if he's not into Metal (aside from the old stuff he may have grown up with) these days, why in the hell would he want the guys from Forbidden recording his album?  :lol

Because Tate is trying to fool people into believing that it was the other guys (Ed, Rock, michael) that didn't want to play heavy music, not him. Geoff's being extremely juvenile.  Of course, he has comments all over the Internet making fun of heavy metal and that style of guitar riffs. But he probably figures the fans are too stupid to remember that.

The guy is a walking ball of ego that has had his ass kissed so much over the years, he believes his own fucking spin jobs.

In other news -- I really like the "Redemption" clip. It's only a 90-second teaser, but it has all the elements of the Queensryche sound for the most part...and something new. Can't wait to hear the record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #842 on: February 25, 2013, 01:33:45 PM »

The guy is a walking ball of ego that has had his ass kissed so much over the years, he believes his own fucking spin jobs.

This reminds me of what a drawback the internet and social media can be when it comes to the egos of musicians, celebrities, etc.  It is easy for there to be tons of loyal "no matter what" fans and tons of critics, so it is easy for a guy like Tate to dismiss the critics as haters, while lapping up everything the "no matter what" fans say as genuine and truthful.  Same thing with certain other musicians that get discussed here from time to time...:P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #843 on: February 25, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »
People have been referring to the bands as Todd La Torre's QR and Geoff Tate's QR, but as far as either band is concerned they both consider themselves simply Queensryche. Geoff Tate actually believes he's releasing a Queensryche album this year.

Well, no, not really.  From what I have seen online, most people discussing the two bands out there do refer to the Geoff Tate version as "Geoff Tate's Queensryche" (or by more derogatory names :lol ).  But most people refer to the other version simply as "Queensryche," as they should.

And, no, I don't believe Geoff Tate really thinks he is putting out a Queensryche album, despite what he has been saying.  First off, I don't see how he could, under the circumstances, with a revolving door of guest musicians on the album and a completely different touring band lined up to play Mindcrime (and, I would guess, a few Queensryche "hits," one or two songs from the new album, and maybe a GT solo song or two).  Second, even his studio guest musicians are saying online and on interviews that they are laying down tracks for the new Geoff Tate solo album.  Geoff is either telling them that outright, or is acting in such a way as to give that impression.  So, no, I don't think he really believes that what he is doing is "Queensryche." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #844 on: February 25, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »

This reminds me of what a drawback the internet and social media can be when it comes to the egos of musicians, celebrities, etc.  It is easy for there to be tons of loyal "no matter what" fans and tons of critics, so it is easy for a guy like Tate to dismiss the critics as haters, while lapping up everything the "no matter what" fans say as genuine and truthful.  Same thing with certain other musicians that get discussed here from time to time...:P

I agree on a general level. In the case of Tate however, I doubt that he still has many "no matter what" fans left. Most of the supporting voices he hears are probably in his own head :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #845 on: February 25, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
They may not be overly strong in numbers, but trust me when I saw the Tate loyalists are still most certainly out there.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: February 25, 2013, 03:08:04 PM »
I'm actually keen on hearing what Tate produces, the list of guests is pretty incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Queensryche Thread (new song teaser clip on p. 24)
« Reply #847 on: February 25, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
The old thread was getting a bit unwieldy, so I decided to split off a new topic from the point where Todd was announced as the new vocalist for the official Queensryche.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #848 on: February 26, 2013, 08:14:29 AM »
I would think that even the Tate loyalists would have to agree that this is really a solo album.  There can't really be much cohesion with that many players.  It'll be a big hodge podge of GT's ideas. 

At the rate he's going, he should have the same number of guest artists contributing as Gene Simmons did on his 1978 solo album in no time at all. 

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #849 on: February 27, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
What's so funny, to me, is that Tate thinks "heavy" is what everyone wants when in reality it was Queensryche's mood and vibe more than their heaviness that people are drawn to. They were never really all that heavy.

So he let's 2 guys from Forbidden play on the album, Brad Gillis shred some solos, then tours with known Metal hired-guns for the live shows all in an attempt to seem more Metal than he ever wanted to be in the first place (if you believe his past interviews).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #850 on: March 04, 2013, 09:10:19 AM »
New label announcement, and album release date of June 11th.

https://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186985

QUEENSRŸCHE has inked a deal with Century Media Records for the release of the band's new studio album. Due on June 11, the CD marks the debut release from the lineup comprised of La Torre (vocals; ex-CRIMSON GLORY), Michael Wilton (guitar), Parker Lundgren (guitar), Eddie Jackson (bass) and Scott Rockenfield (drums). The drums for the album were recorded at London Bridge Studios in Seattle, Washington with producer James "Jimbo" Barton — the man who engineered and mixed the band's classic 1988 LP, "Operation: Mindcrime", and its 1990 follow-up, "Empire", and co-produced 1994's "Promised Land". The rest of the music and vocals were laid down at several different facilities on the West Coast.

"QUEENSRŸCHE is excited to begin writing this next chapter of our career with Century Media. Their passion and love for music has been apparent since early discussions and we are pleased to call them partners on this journey," states Jackson. "We are also thankful for all of the fans who have supported us from day one and helped us get to where we are today. Todd, Scott, Parker, Michael and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for each and every one of you."

QUEENSRŸCHE will head out on the "Return To History" world tour this March and April. The trek kicks off on March 5 in Dubuque, Iowa and makes stops in nine different countries, wrapping up on April 26 in the Netherlands. The band will also take to the high seas on this year's Monsters Of Rock cruise and Sweden Rock Cruise. The 23-date tour will make stops in New York, Tennessee and Florida as well as in Canada, United Kingdom and Germany, among others.

In a recent interview with Metal Assault, drummer Scott Rockenfield stated about QUEENSRŸCHE's renewed collaboration with Barton: "It's a great thing — we're really excited about it, he's really excited about it. We've wanted to work with him for a while, but for whatever reason, we just hadn't gone there yet. This is a great time for us to do that, though. We all discussed who we wanted to do the record with, and he was one of the first names that came up. It was easy for us to pick up the phone and call him. It was like our relationship picked up right where it left off, so it's gonna be a lot of fun. He's a very creative guy that did some great records with us in the past. I think that's one of the most important things when it comes to why we want to work with him."

Asked if fans will see a return to the progressive metal sound QUEENSRŸCHE had in the '80s, Scott said: "What we're trying to do, and what has been really interesting since Todd has jumped into the band, we're trying to revisit the old QUEENSRŸCHE catalog — stuff off of the EP and "The Warning". That's always been a part of what we are, so yeah, definitely! I think in my opinion, we're really revisiting that vibe of why that music was special back then for us. There will be a modern flair to it, though, just because we're in the modern age. The fun thing about Jimbo being a part of it is that he can help tie together the two sides. He does come from our past and some of the great records and some of the great sounds that we're known for, but he's also living in the modern age and doing some interesting things as well. I think it's going to be a really great QUEENSRŸCHE record. People are going to go, 'Wow, that's QUEENSRŸCHE! That sounds just like what we've known them to be, and what we would expect them to now be.' That's what I think peple will get out of it."

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to this! Also expecting a Tate album announcement very soon too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Coming a bit sooner than expected, looking forward to it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Well here's some tasty news:

The lead story on Blabbermouth right now:

Former Guitarist For GEOFF TATE's QUEENSRŸCHE To Perform With 'Real' QUEENSRŸCHE In Toronto - Mar. 5, 2013

For those who may not have been following closely enough for this fact to click, Tate announced several months ago that Drover was to be part of the unofficial Geoff Tate Queensryche.  Tate filmed a press release video with each of the guys in that lineup, and while Glen was present, his spot where he got to talk was edited out, and it was announced right after the filming that he had left.  Speculation was that he recognized what an abomination this was, and decided it was in his best interest to bail.  He had also said some things that directly contradicted Tate.  For example, Tate had said in interviews that he had known Glen quite awhile and had been a longtime fan of his work.  In an interview with Glen, Glen said he actually had never met Geoff before and hadn't even got together with him to discuss the new album or anything yet.  And on and on.  Anyway...  :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
ZING!

This shit never gets old  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
This really is never going to end until one or the other goes down in flames... Oh boy. It will be fun stuff indeed, Mr. Drover.

That said, after re-listening to the samples a few more times, I'm beginning to build my excitement for this; it really does sound like a 'return to glory', and while I'm definitely going to keep my expectations in check, it's nice not to immediately hate something put out by the guys.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
According to the official Queensryche Face Book page, guitars for the new album are done!

Just posted on Queensryche's page: QR guitars are finished.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Just posted a picture on Facebook again, bass is done as well!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Glen Drover is a fantastic guitarist. He doesn't deserve to be in a fake band, and he knows it. Good for him.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck I love Glen Drover.  That's one of the greatest things ever.  :hefdaddy :lol :metal

EDIT: If Parker ever leaves and DeGarmo still won't come back, I vote for Glen Drover as the replacement.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:18:29 PM by wolfking »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
I used to think I was too good to follow this tabloid gossip stuff... guess it just has to be about people I'm interested in.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol Yep, it makes a difference.  I love this, I'm like a desperate housewife having morning tea bitching about who is sleeping with who?  :lol

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
If Wilton and Taint were on the cover of the Enquirer I might bu... read it. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline jammindude

New interview of the Whip.

https://www.musicenthusiastmag.com/2013/02/26/a-tale-of-two-queensryches-interview-with-michael-wilton/

B.Lee

Frustratingly tight lipped IMO....

They ask him to just give his personal opinion on what he thinks was the "last great QR album"...and all he can say is that Empire sold the most.   I'm sorry, but that's a really freakin LAME answer.   

I understand he's trying to watch what he says...but would it kill him to just show a *little* personality and insight???      Still...playing it safe is far better than what Taint is doing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
New interview of the Whip.

https://www.musicenthusiastmag.com/2013/02/26/a-tale-of-two-queensryches-interview-with-michael-wilton/

B.Lee

My favorite parts:

"Basically we want to rock, we like the hard rock element, we like a bit of the progressive element, we want to collaborate with our fanbase and really make this a situation where we listen to the audience and hear what they want, and we build upon that."

"Our objective with this album is to rekindle a band writing together as a band, and utilizing the strengths of the creative forces of everybody in the band, to contribute, and just to make a CD, an album, that’s just an honest representation of the band. We’re not going to try and sell you some outlandish or exaggerated claims, this is just an honest collection of songs that we think really represent the creative dynamic of the band."

Edit: Cleaning up the formatting of those quotes, I see that the font for that interview was apparently "helvetica neue".

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Just got back from the Queensryche show, and thought I'd navy seal in and out of here with a post about the it.

What. A. Fucking. Show!!!!  Holy mother of god am I so glad I went.  I was on the fence a bit earlier this week, but then decided I'd go.

Four (count 'em... FOUR) opening acts.  All local outfits.  Two absolutely slayed it; one was pretty good; and one - while they had great showmanship - wasn't quite to my liking of styles.

Then comes Queensryche.  Someone said a long time ago in this thread when LaTorre was first introduced that it was pretty cool that the replacement was better than the original - ie, he's better than Tate was at HIS prime.  And damned if that ain't the truth.  Todd was genius - he owned the crowd right from the opener - Queen of the Reich.  Scott was a beast.  Michael and Eddie were completely on point.  And Parker was fuckin impressive.

The main set was entirely of songs from the EP thru Mindcrime.  That's it... the first four albums.  In some regards, it's kinda sad that the band isn't playing to full arena's anymore.  But in another regard, it's awesome to be in such a small intimate venue.  I ended up being 2 "rows" back from the stage (as you'll see below... it was general admission, standing only).

Then the encore, and out comes Drover to accompany them on Take Hold the Flame.  Suck it bitches!

The rest of the encore was Empire songs, fitting end to the show - although Silent Lucidity (while I loved it) felt completely out of place given the rest of the setlist. 

The final bow.  I was too close to get them all in a good shot.  I was so busy trying to get a good pic, I missed the opportunity to snatch one of Scott's drum sticks... the guy behind me got one.   :censored

I encourage anyone to go see them.  They were dynamite.

That's all.  See ya gang.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
So jelly. That's fuckin' awesome.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Todd looks like a total, utter sweetheart of a guy I swear. So I guess that's refreshing for them as well :D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, you're the Chris Jericho of DTF.  Gone for abit then make a big return.  Nice to see QR kicking ass, can't wait for the new disc.  Fans of the band that have put up with their sub par stuff for the last number of years deserve seeing their patience pay off.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, great to see you back, been wondering where you were.

Great pics too.  I love that one of Drover and Jackson.  It almost looks like they are having a good chuckle and yearn about Tater, in agreement of course.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Sounds like a great time!  It's cool seeing a band like that in a small place, really close up.  It's almost like you're just at a party or something and they're the band and you're right there, except this is a world-class rock band tearing it up right in front of you.

I get what you mean about Silent Lucidity but since it was such a big hit for them, they pretty much "had" to play it.  Even if it's a really different kind of song for them, there would've been a lot of people pissed if they hadn't played it (including dudes who brought their girlfriends/wives, who only came because of that song).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Not reading to avoid spoilers, but cool pics!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Chad, I re-posted your review and pics a few other relevant places.

Now I want to see some video!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Here we go!  The quality isn't great, but here's the first video to surface of Glen playing Take Hold with the guys:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Iu7w4Dyig