Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50082 times)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Re: Queensryche
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
Just having a quick listen to those demos and they sound pretty damn good.  The riffs in Psycho and Science are amazing. 

Science sounds like it would fit in just fine with the classic 80s QR albums.  I guess not surprising since Wilton had a much bigger role in the writing back then.  Definitely promising.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
I was thinking a couple of weeks ago about what happened to QR. 

Haven't we all!

Most QR fans consider Promised Land as the last decent thing they did. Me, I think it was Empire. They really fell off the face of the earth, musically. You can pick a few songs off of each album since, and there are some good ones, but overall, it's pretty bad. American Soldier isn't bad, in fact, it's much better than anything they've released in a very long time. Still, it's a far cry to what made them really good.

We just have to face it. Queensryche is gone and they're never coming back!

I haven't read the entire thread (actually haven't gotten past this post yet) but I think the same thing. It was Empire for me too... I bought Promised land the second it came out, gave it a few tries and nothing clicked for me. Nothing. It seemed like whatever it was that made their music speak to me just disappeared over night and I remember being pretty frustrated by it at the time. I've pulled it out a few times over the years to see if it was just me and the timing or whatever... still nothing.

I still love everything they did before that but just lost interest and have only somewhat liked the odd song here and there since.

EDIT: So I read from page 26 and this is interesting. I also think Mebert summed it up well with what he said back on page 26. As it was, Queensryche were forever frozen in that pre 92' era for me. I listened to the Demos and am looking forward to hear what comes next... And it's a long long time since I felt that way.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:24:41 AM by Rob801 »

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2012, 11:00:24 AM »
The riffs in Psycho and Science are amazing. 

Could you describe them as psycosane?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »
The riffs in Psycho and Science are amazing. 

Could you describe them as psycosane?

I'm in a bit of a psycho mood today so YES!!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-q-a-geoff-tate-on-queensryches-ugly-split-backstage-brawl-in-brazil-20120626#ixzz1yvdGVnyi

Quote from: Geoff Tate
What's gonna happen now?
- Well, we're in a lawsuit right now and it's probably gonna get ugly. I filed a claim a couple of days ago. So it's all going to the legal system now to sort out who is what, and who owns what, and that stuff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2012, 02:16:35 PM »
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-q-a-geoff-tate-on-queensryches-ugly-split-backstage-brawl-in-brazil-20120626#ixzz1yvdGVnyi

What's gonna happen now?
- Well, we're in a lawsuit right now and it's probably gonna get ugly. I filed a claim a couple of days ago. So it's all going to the legal system now to sort out who is what, and who owns what, and that stuff.

The guy has lost it. He refuses to accept the reality, that the other band members want to go back to the Progressive Metal sound of the earlier albums. Instead, he makes up ridiculous claims that they just want his money :facepalm:

Whenever the interviewer points out that his argumentation doesn't make sense and doesn't fit with the band's actual actions, he twists the statement into how the other band members are doing it wrong. They only want his money, but they're doing it all wrong.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »
Fuck Geoff Tate, he's so high off his own farts he can't even see the real picture.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
He sounds like he's completely in denial. To some extent, though, I can understand his point of view.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »
So, Geoff, would you go as far as to say you and Queensryche have been married all these years?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »
Nick, you need to stop that right now.  Obviously, it would be psychosane for anyone to say something like that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
Queensryche is my baby.

My abused, neglected baby.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2012, 04:02:28 PM »

What's gonna happen now?

The guy has lost it. He refuses to accept the reality, that the other band members want to go back to the Progressive Metal sound of the earlier albums. Instead, he makes up ridiculous claims that they just want his money :facepalm:

Whenever the interviewer points out that his argumentation doesn't make sense and doesn't fit with the band's actual actions, he twists the statement into how the other band members are doing it wrong. They only want his money, but they're doing it all wrong.

Absolutely QFT!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »
It's all about the money and has nothing to do with the music, yet the guys went out and played old Queensryche songs with a singer who sounds like old Geoff Tate.

DENIAL.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »
Geoff's mad if he thinks this is a money driven turn of events, any blind man can see that it's not.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »
It's like he threatens the band about things turning so bad. Well, obliviously it's up to him. I don't want to see both side at this condition.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »
In the big picture, this move might benefit the band more finanically.  DTC only sold very few copies; I can see this new version selling much more.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
I don't think I'd be bragging about being the main creative force in the band since DeGarmo left. :lol :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »
I love how Tate makes it sound like he was the SOLE writer on all those songs. And if I had been the guy interviewing him, I'd have said "well that's true that you wrote a lot of the songs, but with other people, and anyway, Chris Degarmo wrote your biggest hit, so let's just move away from the songwriting credits, shall we?"  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2012, 08:04:29 AM »
I don't think I'd be bragging about being the main creative force in the band since DeGarmo left. :lol :lol
Why not? The guy is full of creative ideas that he writes  every day, he's a writing force!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2012, 08:33:02 AM »

But it's wot he does.

Seriously though. If Geoff is telling the truth I get his point of view... but then I think back to the incident with Dream Theater. So... yeah... Just hope were gonna get some good new music out of this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »
Seriously though. If Geoff is telling the truth I get his point of view... but then I think back to the incident with Dream Theater. So... yeah... Just hope were gonna get some good new music out of this.

I think there is a grain of truth throughout.  But the problem is, there are also flat-out distortions (if not outright lies) in his version of the facts as well.  For example, go to BMI's website and look at publication credits.  His name may technically show up on 81% of the songs, but there are none (if I'm mistaken, it is a VERY small number) where he is the SOLE writer.  He CO-wrote all those songs either with individual members, the entire band, or outside writers.  And we have confirmation from a number of sources, including specifics from Jason Slater (search some of his posts on the Breakdown Room) himself (as well as others) that Tate does not write the music.  He doesn't really know how, which is WHY he brought in outside writers for Mindcrime II, American Soldier, Dedicated To Chaos, and, yes, even the arrangements for Take Cover.  He writes lyrics.  He sometimes writes vocal melodies.  And when he hears what others have written, he provides verbal input on the songs.  But he doesn't write the music, which is at least 80% of the song.  So for him to say he "wrote" 81% of Queensryche's music and to imply that he is Queensryche as far as the music is concerned is unequivocally dishonest, even though there is a grain of truth behind what he is saying.

Another example is his statement that none of the other members contributed anything to the past few albums.  He has gone on record as specifically saying the other members contributed nothing whatsoever for Mindcrime II and, other than some riff ideas from Wilton, showed no real desire to contribute anything.  Silence from the other bandmembers seemed to lend creedence to Geoff's story...until Whip and Scott released the Mosh Pit demos and we could hear for ourselves that some of the ideas they came up with during the Mindcrime II sessions easily could have been more than an album's worth of solid material that is on par with or better than a LOT of what actually showed up on that album.  Again, more distortion of the truth by Geoff.

And the list goes on and on.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Seriously, why are the biggest douchebags in rock always the guys who assume almost tyrannical control over their bands?  Tate, EVH, Axl Rose, Roger Waters, etc.  The list goes on and on.

Offline jsem

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »
I'd lmao if he Geoff would ever use the marriage analogy.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Seriously, why are the biggest douchebags in rock always the guys who assume almost tyrannical control over their bands?  Tate, EVH, Axl Rose, Roger Waters, etc.  The list goes on and on.

I think you answered your own question.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
Fuck Geoff Tate, he's so high off his own farts he can't even see the real picture.

Pretty much this, yeah.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »
I read that article yesterday.  It seemed to get more and more ridiculous as it went on and it became clear that he's just not living in reality.

But "I write 81% of the music and the lyrics" made me laugh because no one says that.  Eighty-one percent?  People say they write most of it, or 90% of it or something like that.  The only way he could've gotten 81% is if he actually sat and did the math.  And of course the next line is "Of the 144 songs that Queensryche has released, I've written 116 of those."  He actually sat and did the math.  That's just not normal.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2012, 01:05:50 PM »
I forgot what the issue between Tate and DT was other than MP referring to him as "Mr. Taint" in the media for a while. I also remember one of their guitarists kinda stepping on JP's toes by insinuating they could show him a thing or two on guitar and JP subsequently playing circles around them on a Comfortably Numb jam when all 3 guitarists shared the stage during a DT performance.

Can someone hip me to what the Tate/DT spat was based on?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »
Hate to link you to BMouth, but this should help clear things up.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »
Here's a question I'll throw out there for the masses: 

Assume the lawsuit Geoff files ends up becomming a roadblock to the guys getting their album out and getting out on the road?  What should they do?

Here's my thought.  They need to stay in the fight and do what they can to recover the name and the rights.  But they also need to get to the business of putting out an album and playing shows.  If they can't use the QR name in the mean time, they need another name.  Now, I kind of liked Rising West.  Cool name, and an obscure nod to the earlier material, but I think they need something else if they are basically going to go out and declare to the world that, name or not, they are Queensryche.  I'm thinking kind of like Sabbath did in renaming themselves Heaven and Hell.  The casual fans who may not have had any clue that there were issues between the Osbournes and the Sabbath guys would still recognize the name and go, "oh, cool.  I need to go see them."  Same thing here.  I think they need something more closely associated with the Queensryche name than an obscure lyric from an obscure song on their second album.  I think "Operation: Mindcrime" would be the ideal name.  Granted, that isn't going to pull in the people who only know Queensryche because they heard Silent Lucidy and Jet City Woman on the radio.  But it will without a doubt make even the most casual fans who have no idea of the drama stop and try to find out whether this band is somehow linked to Queensryche.  It's the most high profile name they could possibly choose, IMO.  And if they ultimately win the lawsuit down the road or (more likely) win the rights through a settlement, they can always re-release any album later under the Queensryche name.  Yes, it opens up the possiblity that, because it is such a high profile name that belongs to TriRyche Corp., Geoff could get an injunction to stop them from using it.  But it's much less likely he would be successful with that then just stopping them from using the Queensryche name.  Anyhow, that's my thought.  What say you, DTF?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
Kingsryche.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »
Queensreich.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2012, 02:50:42 PM »
I would suggest their original name "The Mob", but I feel like that's a bit too Psychosane..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »
I would suggest their original name "The Mob", but I feel like that's a bit too Psychosane..

Well, the diehards would all love that.  But the problem is, as with Rising West, it wouldn't be obvious to most from just hearing the name that it is associated with Queensryche.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »
They should just pull a Frost*...

Queensryche*
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »
Empire

or

The Warning
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude