Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50081 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Re: Queensryche
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 09:44:37 AM »
One of my favorite Anthrax CDs is The Greater Of Two Evils! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 09:45:53 AM »
What this band needs to do is put out a disc of awesome new material written primarily by them, first and foremost. Anything short of that is a disappointment. If they use outside writers then the band is still a charade, and if they put out a bad metal album then it's just going to show that there might have been more to why their ideas weren't on the albums more than simply saying Tate was being controlling.

While them being able to play mostly old material is great, but if either of the above things happen, or they don't put out new material in a reasonable time frame, then they've simply become a Def Leppard-esque nostalgia act. An act I'd very happily pay to see, but one that still wouldn't be worth a dime of modern artistic credit.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
I agree with that, Nick.

Hopefully they can get out an EP or so in the next few months.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
I also think that Scott, Mike, and Ed will feel they have something to prove. Basically throughout the career of QR, all they have ever heard about is Chris and Geoff- Geoff and Chris. Now both are gone and they are running the show. They will want to prove that they werent just support characters, but can be the stars. I don't think Chris will have any involvement as they don't want it to appear they have to rely on him. And I think if they rerecord the songs, it shouldn't be seen as a disrespect to Geoff at all; but rather just a new chapter of QR.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
But to add to that, a disc of new killer material is a must to correlate with anything else they release

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »
What this band needs to do is put out a disc of awesome new material written primarily by them, first and foremost. Anything short of that is a disappointment. If they use outside writers then the band is still a charade...

I somewhat disagree with the last point.  If the album is good, and they are involved in the writing, and can enthusiastically get behind it, I don't care if they have outside writers involved.  The difference on the last three albums was that, while they did contribute ideas, they mostly just played what they were told, which was written by outsiders, and which they didn't really get behind and get involved in.  Contrast that with, for example, Desmond Child writing Scorpions' Humanity: Hour 1.  He wrote with the band, with their input, and helped them put out an album that sounded great and that the band could buy into and get behind enthusiastically.  If Queensryche went down a similar road and put out a quality collection of songs, that would be perfectly fine by me.  As long as there is input and buy-in on the new music, I don't think they should shy away from using outside writers if that's what they feel they need to synthesize their ideas into quality songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
Now Chris needs to come back, then we'll talk.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »
Now Chris needs to come back, then we'll talk.

I disagree with that as well.  On one hand, it would generate a lot of interest in the short run.  But since it is HIGHLY unlikely he would be coming back to the band full-time and doing anything more than helping with the writing, I think the long-term effect would be to create an impression that Mike, Ed, and Scott aren't capable of running the show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 10:42:59 AM »
IMO...the new album *will* be the best thing they've released since PL.   However, that is not saying that they album will be great...or even good.   Even if it's really meh, it will be the best thing since PL. 

What I worry about, is that it will be *TOO* straight forward.   I've said before that, as happy as I am with this decision (scratch that...make that "ECSTATIC"), the most important thing Geoff brought to the table was not his voice...it was the weirdness.   The Pink Floyd factor.   The whispers, the weird deliveries...that "air" of Pink Floyd that always made you feel like something was just off center of sanity.   That is a HUGE part of what made QR special, and what separated them from every other metal band.    I don't want a straight forward metal album.    I'm really hoping that among the 5 members...SOMEONE can bring something to the table that's weird, askew, risky, and just slightly "Out of Mind"...     

Pink Floyd lost a step without Waters...but Gilmore was no dummy.  He intentionally (and with some success) used material that had that weird "I'm not quite completely sane" air that made Pink Floyd special.  Waters was the one who really brought that element to the table...but Gilmore's version (as Water's admitted) was a decent fax simile.    I'm hoping that the new QR doesn't forget that element. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
Good points.  I think they are definitely capable, and they are smart enough to intentionally incorporate some of that into the music.  Remember that of the remaining original members, Whip is the only one I would really consider a pure metalhead.  Ed and Scott can definitely bring that to the table, but have much more diverse tastes and styles than only pure metal.  And adding Todd to the mix, he seems to not only be a fan of the QR legacy, but also to understand what it is really about.  I think he will try hard to inject a lot of the types of things you mentioned into the new music.

fax simile

Uh...  ??? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »
I also do know a lot of casual fans will be very weary of the new breed of Queensryche.

I wouldn't mind something akin to Tribe. But, time will tell their fate. This is the scary tightrope walk.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »
At the end of the day, I think the answer to all their problems is obvious...

OPERATION: MINDCRIME III
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »

Where they kill off the character named Geoff.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
fax simile

Uh...  ??? :lol

A fax simile:  An email is like a fax that you read on your computer screen, instead of on paper.

I also do know a lot of casual fans will be very weary of the new breed of Queensryche. 

"Wary".  "Weary" means something else entirely.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2012, 11:02:27 AM »

:lol  Funny you should mention that.  I was kind of kicking around in my head sort of a similar idea.  Assuming things go well, they put out a solid album and reignate the fan base, what if they did something like:  Another album or two down the road, do a re-do of Mindcrime II with a completely different story.  Yeah, in a way, that would have a similar effect of kind of giving Geoff the finger.  But it would also, IMO, be a positive band statement that acknowledges to the fans that they are sorry about the fact that one of the greatest rock concept albums ever was tarnished by the stupid love story in the sequel, and that fans are entitled to something better.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
I think that by picking an old-school Geoff Tate clone, which is what this guy is however skilled he may be, they are destined to be a nostalgia act... and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Think: Judas Priest.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »
Tim brought a lot to Priest, and Jugulator was one of their best records, IMO their best.  Priest are more of a nostalia act now that what they were in the early 2000's.

Todd is a good thing for Ryche.  If he keeps his attitude in check and the band gel well, this could results in some good things.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »
I think that by picking an old-school Geoff Tate clone, which is what this guy is however skilled he may be, they are destined to be a nostalgia act... and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Think: Judas Priest.

Tim brought a lot to Priest, and Jugulator was one of their best records, IMO their best.  Priest are more of a nostalia act now that what they were in the early 2000's.

Todd is a good thing for Ryche.  If he keeps his attitude in check and the band gel well, this could results in some good things.

I agree with Wolf, Priest became more of a nostalgia act after Ripper left and they reunited with Rob.  On the one hand, getting Rob back put the band back in the spotlight and helped the metal revival of the early 2000's.  On the other hand, Ripper added a new element to the band that helped rejuvenate Tippton and Downing, and the band had a potentially bright future before they decided to go through with that contrived reunion.  After Rob came back, what did they do?  They did one album that was a microcosm of their past career but added nothing to  their future (Angel of Retribution) and then made an ambitious but ill conceived attempt at an opus (Nostradamus), and now they are on their "farewell" tour without one of their most crucial members.  Priest is pretty much the textbook definition of a nostalgia act these days, and the sad thing is they could have avoided that fate had they stayed with Ripper.

As for the new Queensryche, whether or not they will be able to avoid the same fate really depends on how good the new album is.  Since they hired a singer who is reminiscent of 80's Tate, I would imagine that the band intends to return to their metal roots, which will probably help to win back the metal die-hards who lost faith after the Empire/Promised Land era.  Considering that Geoff not only lost his voice, but also spent the better part of two decades badmouthing metal and rock, I cannot imagine that the fans will pine away for him the same way Priest fans longed for Rob.  So I don't think that there is much of a threat of Geoff returning.  The real question is how good the next album will be.  While just about any metal album will sound good compared to anything QR has done in the past 15 years, only a truly phenomenal metal record will help get Queensryche back to the top where they belong.

Offline Breaking All Illusions

• "The rebel in us all, someday gets tired of being pushed around"
  • "This is the life we belong to, our gift divine"
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
I want to hear Queensryche with the new singer. If Geoff was causing problems then they were right to get rid of him. Todd La Torre sounds like Geoff did in the 80's. Hopefully them doing all old Queensryche songs on tour, will inspire them to go back to the old sound. It would be cool to see Chris DeGarmo come back, but that is probably not likely.
"And at last the time has come to unite again as one, to the power of the earth I'm calling, crossing bridges in the sky, on a journey to renew my life. Shaman take my hand" John Petrucci(Dream Theater,Bridges In The  Sky, A Dramatic Turn Of Events, 2011)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2012, 10:31:46 PM »
I think the problem with Queensrÿche was evident looking at this thread. After Dedicated to Chaos almost all discussion in this thread was about how deeply Tate was fucking up the band and now that he's gone this is alive as ever, and full of expectations for what's to come. Geoff's voice was unique; but nor his voice nor his talent were showing up in QR these years. This is a chance for the band to try and go back to their glory days. I'm surprised no legal action notices are showing up since I thought the Tates owned the band's name and stuff.

I checked out some Rising West videos and this La Torre guy fits them really well. It would be amazing if Chris helped them in something, like in songwriting or producing stuff; since I don't think he's ever coming back.

Anyway I'm really excited for what's yet to come from them specially since I pronounced my interest in the band dead even before DTC.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 10:48:33 PM »
If nobody is pushing any musical envelopes, I'm not interested in either camp.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2012, 05:03:09 AM »
Good post Dark Master.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »

They could do a track with Dio on guest vo-

:(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:32 AM »
I think this thread is sorely in need of some videos from the Rising West shows:

My Empty Room/Eyes of a Stranger

Queen of the Reich

Walk in the Shadows

Was it a "flawless" performance?  Nope.  But so many things to love.  First off, there's Todd.  Not only does he have the vocal chops to pull of these songs, and not only is he going for notes and phrasings Geoff hasn't gone for in years, but he COMMANDS THE STAGE.  Dude definitely has the stage presence to front a band like Queensryche.  Then there's Parker.  He got a TON of criticism and almost unfair scrutiny when he joined.  But he is the only guitarist they've had since DeGarmo left who has demonstrated a commitment to playing the songs as they were written and putting in quality guitar parts that sound VERY close to Chris' parts.  Plus, he just looks like he's having fun.  And as far as the rest of the band...they look like a band again instead of a group of guys who can't wait for the last note to end so they can get their check and go home.  This was my favorite band for a decade or so.  And even when they were eclipsed by DT and fell to the #2 spot, I still really held them in high regard.  It was hard to write them off as being dead, but I just completely stopped caring.  Now I'm officially excited again.  Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2012, 09:24:17 AM »
Oh wow! This is not unexpected but you know it's bittersweet news for me. I really love Tate, his voice back in the days was unquestionably amazing. He added many things to music world and to the band. He is always remembered. But done is done and this is the fair result.

I love QR and want them to go as far as they can. Need more music now. I hope they start to write again, mostly close their older stuff. With a new singer like that I think that's unavoidable.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
In the initial Rising West press release, they said they planned to start work on a new album soon.  I'm not sure what "soon" means, but even if it means late fall or so, that gives us a new album mid next year.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2012, 09:45:18 AM »
I got chills with that "BE MY FRIEEEEEEEND" in the video.  I officially like this guy now. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »

Was it a "flawless" performance?  Nope.  But so many things to love.  First off, there's Todd.  Not only does he have the vocal chops to pull of these songs, and not only is he going for notes and phrasings Geoff hasn't gone for in years, but he COMMANDS THE STAGE.  Dude definitely has the stage presence to front a band like Queensryche.  Then there's Parker.  He got a TON of criticism and almost unfair scrutiny when he joined.  But he is the only guitarist they've had since DeGarmo left who has demonstrated a commitment to playing the songs as they were written and putting in quality guitar parts that sound VERY close to Chris' parts.  Plus, he just looks like he's having fun. 

Having been there, I agree. Todd owned the room. Granted it was a crowd of a couple hundred at most, but I can see him doing the same on a much larger stage. It did not feel like watching a hired gun or new front man at all. And Parker looked like a rock star having the time of his life.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
Those vocals on QOTR are fucking incredible.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »
In regard to comments about whether this new version of Queensryche can write solid songs, I now have a completely different outlook than I did before.  Whip recently made the "Mosh Pit Demos" available for streaming on his site.  From what I understand, most if not all of these are demos Whip and Scott put together for Mindcrime II, which Geoff rejected.  After listening, all I can say is:  :2metal:  Yeah, I think they can definitely bring it for the next album.  The thought of Todd singing over something like these demos has me really excited.  For those who haven't heard them:  https://michaelwilton.com/demos.html

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2012, 03:57:26 AM »
I have full confidence that this version of QR will not disapoint.  I also think they should make Parker an official member and not just a touring member.  If Chris ever joins and/or is a special guest, they can go with 3 guitarists.  Worked for Maiden.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2012, 06:29:18 AM »
I have full confidence that this version of QR will not disapoint.  I also think they should make Parker an official member and not just a touring member.  If Chris ever joins and/or is a special guest, they can go with 3 guitarists.  Worked for Maiden.

The other thing that worked for Maiden is that their songwriting went "next level" in the reunion era. To me, it will come down to the songs. I haven't listened to Bosk's link so it may be unfair to judge them if their ideas were rejected, but the fact is, this band has a lot to prove in this area.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2012, 07:04:30 AM »
In regard to comments about whether this new version of Queensryche can write solid songs, I now have a completely different outlook than I did before.  Whip recently made the "Mosh Pit Demos" available for streaming on his site.  From what I understand, most if not all of these are demos Whip and Scott put together for Mindcrime II, which Geoff rejected.  After listening, all I can say is:  :2metal:  Yeah, I think they can definitely bring it for the next album.  The thought of Todd singing over something like these demos has me really excited.  For those who haven't heard them:  https://michaelwilton.com/demos.html

Thanks for the link Bosk1, sounds a hundred time better than he crap QR have been putting out for 15 years.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2012, 03:03:49 AM »
Just having a quick listen to those demos and they sound pretty damn good.  The riffs in Psycho and Science are amazing. 

Also, the song with Ripper is killer, anyone know the news on this collaboration?