Author Topic: ?'s 50 favorite pieces of music by DT v. We have a winner, goodbye to your liver  (Read 13005 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: ?'s 50 favorite pieces of music by DT v. SHOCKING CONTROVERSY!!!!!!
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2013, 01:39:12 AM »
Aside from TCOT, none of these deserve to make a top 50, although Afterlife and TKH ain't bad, especially with JLB.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you ranked DT's songs backwards. That's the only way The Ones Who Help To Clear The Venue should make a top 20. ;)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2013, 01:44:03 AM »
Your dislike for WDADU is no secret but... no love for Speak to Me? :(

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2013, 01:47:50 AM »
Your dislike for WDADU is no secret but... no love for Speak to Me? :(

I don't dislike it, but I really don't particularly love any of the "leftovers" from FII, and tbh I think the rarity of them is a lot of the appeal. :dunno:

/controversial

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2013, 02:18:25 AM »
I really don't particularly love any of the "leftovers" from FII, and tbh I think the rarity of them is a lot of the appeal. :dunno:
I don't care about the FII B-sides that much either but I'm sure people like them because they're actually good in their opinion - that's the case with me and STM. Of course the fact that songs like You Not Me are on the actual album may make them seem better but STM beats most of FII easily IMO.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2013, 02:32:01 AM »
Besides YNM and maybe TAMP, I wouldn't want anything on FII swapped out for the songs that didn't make it. It's my 4th favourite DT album as is, and none of the other tracks would improve it for me. I'd rather they just cut those songs off, rather than replace them with anything extra.
Just imo of course. I know that's not a popular opinion.

And I just gave Speak To Me another listen, and it's actually much worse than I remember. I actually do dislike it. I think I was getting it confused with one of the others. I really can't tell them apart.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2013, 03:55:26 AM »
I don't like The Killing Hand but all your other choices are good if you ask me, specially TOWHTSTS and TCOT
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Ruba

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2013, 05:09:20 AM »
Three WDADU songs and this high, hell yes!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2013, 06:33:12 AM »
I don't like The Killing Hand but all your other choices are good if you ask me, specially TOWHTSTS and TCOT
Three WDADU songs and this high, hell yes!  :metal :metal :metal
Well, good to see at least 2 people who can agree with these choices! :tup

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2013, 06:41:58 AM »
TOWHTSTS was one of my favorite songs on WDADU because of that awesome awesome intro. Now it's much lower but it's still a great song and I'm happy to see it appreciated this much :tup even though it definitely wouldn't be that high on my list but that doesn't matter at all

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2013, 09:06:10 AM »
Holy crap.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
I really am enjoying your list. TOWHTSTS finally is getting love, even more love than me.

I prefer controversial lists over the generic ones because of these surprises.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »
Really nice surprises! Not sure if TOWHTSTS would make my top 50 but it is definitely underrated. TKH and especially Afterlife are ridiculously amazing, even when not comparing to the rest of WDADU, and easily are in my list. (I'm giving away too many spoilers :lol )

Offline j

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
This list is unpredictable and awesome so far homie.

-J

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s 50 favorite pieces of music by DT v. Sadness, smiles and samples
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2013, 01:45:47 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments! :) TOWHTSTS is more popular than I thought...

Anyway, this time there isn't as much controversy but I think one or two of these picks may surprise you:

15. Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper

What can I say about this fan-favorite? Metropolis is basically DT's signature song as it sums up all the different aspects of their music pretty well. The instrumental section is legendary and it must've been groundbreaking upon its release. Metropolis is simply classic and most of you would probably have it in your top 10 but IMO DT have written 14 even better pieces.

14. Beneath the Surface

Most of you probably wouldn't rank Beneath the Surface this high but it has a deep personal meaning to me (not related to the lyrics though) as ADTOE was released in the middle of one of the emotionally toughest weeks in my life and BTS reminds me of that time. To avoid turning this writeup into an oversentimental essay I won't go into detail but if you're really curious to hear the story you can PM me. Anyway, Beneath the Surface is one of the most emotional and touching DT songs ever and it's the only DT tune that has made shed a tear. JP's acoustic guitar playing is beautiful, Jordan's lead after the second chorus is nice and, autotuned or not, James' vocals are pouring with emotion.

13. Take the Time

If BTS manages to make me cry when I'm sad enough, then Take the Time is a song that never fails to make me happy. Especially the instrumental section is full of fun - the joy comes right through the speakers, headphones or whatever you're listening to it on. JM's bass work is cool, James' vocals in the "pensive fear" verse are jaw dropping and Kevin plays the best DT keyboard solo ever. TTT always makes me smile and even a fan of gloomy music like me can appreciate its uplifting vibe.

12. 6:00

6:00 is a great opener for Awake - it's pretty different from the I&W sound but also shows that DT didn't change their style beyond recognition. MP's drumming is really groovy and Kevin's playing just rocks: that distorted organ sounds really cool! Some people dislike the samples but I think the song would sound incomplete without them. The lyrics, among my all-time favorites from DT, are thought-provoking: "Nobody knows what they want 'til they finally let it all go" - sometimes you have to reevaluate everything in your life and start with a clean slate, and that's exactly what Kevin did in 1994.

11. Trial of Tears

Falling into Infinity does have its fair share of stinkers but there are also some gems and this is the brightest of them. Trial of Tears is a true grower: it's more atmospheric than most DT epics and takes a lot of time to grow. However, that's exactly the reason why I love this song nowadays - it isn't flashy or particularly complex but it doesn't reveal everything on the first listens either. I really like the "rainy" vibe that Derek's keyboards create and JM truly shines here, both in the bass department and lyrically.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2013, 03:14:08 AM »
There's no way Metropolis can be this high on someone's list  :omg:

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 03:20:34 AM »
Trial of Tears is too low, and I never cared for 6:00, though I do like your write-up for that one. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2013, 04:25:07 AM »
You're ranking all of those quite high but they are all great songs nevertheless  :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »
Great, bad, great, bad, great.

Ok, it's more like great, bad, great, average, great, but that doesn't read as well. :P

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2013, 08:35:46 AM »
All of those songs besides 6:00  :heart

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
Since no one wants to go for it...

SIX O CLOCK ON A CHRISTMAS MORNING
AND FOR WHAT

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
I never cared for 6:00
Ok, it's more like great, bad, great, average, great, but that doesn't read as well. :P
All of those songs besides 6:00  :heart
You guys are doing it wrong.
Since no one wants to go for it...

AND FOR WHAT

You're doing it right! :tup

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2013, 12:47:58 PM »
I never cared for 6:00... until the day I saw it live, I was completely blown away by its power  :omg:
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »
Your sins are forgiven then! :)

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
Interesting to see Beneath the Surface and 6:00 with these 3 giants.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2013, 04:49:38 PM »
I love 6:00, good pick.

I never cared for 6:00... until the day I saw it live, I was completely blown away by its power  :omg:

However, I felt this was the one of the few songs that I don't think Mangini quite did justice. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »
I am very drum illiterate, so I didn't notice anything wrong in the least  :lol
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »
It's not that there was anything wrong with his drumming technically, it just didn't feel right to me.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ?'s 50 favorite pieces of music by DT v. A bunch of epics
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2013, 01:17:55 AM »
Sorry if I'm moving fast but I want to get this finished early so I can concentrate on preparing for my upcoming exams. Besides, a lot of people are waiting for their turn to start their lists.

10. In the Name of God

In the Name of God is a very appealing song to a person like me who has recently become a sucker for the combination of crushing downtuned riffs and clean vocals. Being an Atheist who finds violence, abuse and other crap that happens in the name of religion disgusting I also like the lyrical theme. ITNOG sounds massive and heavy, 10.02 is the best metal DT moment ever! :2metal: However, the song isn't devoid of atmosphere: the "hundreds of believers" section sounds pretty eerie. The instrumental section may seem like musical dong action on the surface but JM and MP's playing makes it very interesting actually. The chorus is really catchy and deserves to be repeated many times, and the ending is pure epicness.

9. Far from Heaven/Breaking All Illusions

Far from Heaven is another great ballad from ADTOE; as an individual piece I prefer BTS but this song is very beautiful too. FFH is a nice song to play on piano and I can relate to the lyrics as sometimes my parents put more than enough pressure on me to live up to their expectations. The end of FFH leads nicely into Breaking All Illusions which is a great epic in the classic DT vein. Knowing that JM had penned the lyrics I expected a lot from this song but it didn't disappoint me at all. BAI is easily one of the highlights of DT's recent output: it's full of great stuff like the soaring chorus, JP's excellent solo, Jordan's melodic keyboards and the beautiful FFH reprise at the end that still sounds breathtakingly epic.

8. Bridges in the Sky

When I was listening to ADTOE for the first time and heard the throat singing I thought: "This song will be something special." And as you may guess, I was right! After the intro Bridges in the Sky offers you some of the best riffing JP has come up with on the newer DT albums. However, this isn't a full-on metal song as the chorus - that amazed me on the first listen already - is very melodic. James' singing is simply excellent here and he lifts the song into incredible heights (so high that it's crossing bridges in the sky :neverusethis:). The instrumental section is interesting and compact; it successfully avoids the pitfalls that so many songs on the previous few albums fell into. The outro of BITS is also the point by which I was 100% convinced that Mangini is even better than MP - dat double bass! :hefdaddy

7. A Mind Beside Itself

I think I'm the first person to list this as one piece... A Mind Beside Itself begins with Erotomania which is a fairly typical DT instrumental thanks to its progginess and technicality. However, there's a lot of melody and atmosphere as well, like in the wonderful section at 2.38, the following bit that references The Silent Man and JP's neo-classical solo. Then it's time for Voices, one of DT's darkest songs that truly stands out among their epics. I love the contrasts this song has - the first verse with just piano and vocals and the "I'm kneeling on the floor..." part are really quiet but the chorus and the "fuck this whore" verse are quite explosive. JP's lyrics are the best ones he's ever written and James brings them to life with his impressive vocal performance. Oh, and dat solo! The suite ends with The Silent Man, a beautiful piece that shows JP's skills at writing great acoustic ballads. All in all, AMBI is an excellent suite that manages to sum up basically everything I love about DT in 20 minutes.

6. Blind Faith

Blind Faith is an interesting journey: Jordan's keys and JM's bass give the intro the same mysterious vibe that a lot of Six Degrees has, but starting with the first chorus the song gets more rocking, culminating in the instrumental section in which the guys are firing on all cylinders. Jordan is undeniably the star of this tune: the piano break is the best thing he has played in any DT song and the keyboard solo is noteworthy as well. However, JP deserves a lot of credit for learning the tricky unison and MP's fills are impressive. James has penned great lyrics and vocal melodies, and although JM's playing isn't that clearly audible due to the fact that JP is playing on the same frequencies with his baritone, I appreciate the aforementioned cool bass intro. Blind Faith is the song in which the 99-10 line-up unleashed its full potential in a mindblowing way.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:00:26 AM by ? »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2013, 01:40:23 AM »
Well, this is a great, great great batch... I'm almost sorry I don't enjoy Blind Faith as much as you do.  :blush
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2013, 02:09:20 AM »
Here's a recap of the pieces that have appeared on my list so far:

50. Forsaken
49. Ytse Jam
48. Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu
47. Only a Matter of Time
46. Sacrificed Sons
45. Innocence Faded
44. Status Seeker
43. Honor Thy Father
42. This is the Life
41. Another Day
40. Caught in a Web
39. A Nightmare to Remember
38. These Walls
37. A Fortune in Lies
36. Through Her Eyes
35. Lifting Shadows off a Dream
34. Finally Free
33. Vacant
32. On the Backs of Angels
31. Home
30. Pull Me Under
29. Under a Glass Moon
28. The Glass Prison
27. The Root of All Evil
26. To Live Forever
25. Fatal Tragedy
24. Hell's Kitchen/Lines in the Sand
23. The Mirror/Lie
22. The Great Debate
21. Surrounded
20. The Killing Hand
19. Speak to Me
18. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
17. The Count of Tuscany
16. Afterlife
15. Metropolis
14. Beneath the Surface
13. Take the Time
12. 6:00
11. Trial of Tears
10. In the Name of God
9. Far from Heaven/Breaking All Illusions
8. Bridges in the Sky
7. A Mind Beside Itself
6. Blind Faith

Those who guess the top 5 pieces right are awesome :biggrin:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2013, 03:47:56 AM »
All great choices, though that's like... eight songs in one update? :lol

Props for Blind Faith. I fucking love that song.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2013, 03:57:51 AM »
Hate to reiterate what everyone else has been saying but Blind Faith is all that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2013, 05:35:05 AM »
Nice choices  :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2013, 05:54:49 AM »
ACOS,Octavarium,LTL,Six Degrees,Scarred

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2013, 05:56:41 AM »
I'd say strike Octavarium from that, and add in Eve, and I'd be down for that.