Author Topic: ?'s 50 favorite pieces of music by DT v. We have a winner, goodbye to your liver  (Read 13002 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Welcome to my list!

My taste is slightly different from the average DT fan so you can expect some surprises: there'll be B-sides and a couple of other obscure songs, at least one of which I've never seen on anyone's list. The presence of some songs and the absence of others may make you think "WTF?!" but I hope that will only make the list more interesting. But of course many fan favorites are also highly regarded by me so you'll probably find a lot of choices agreeable. Anyway, let's get the ball rolling!

50. Forsaken

Forsaken is a nice tune that gets much more hate than it deserves. I love the gothic-sounding piano melody, James' vocal performance is very convincing and instead of including a drawn-out shred session like most songs on SC the song features a neat, compact solo by JP. Maybe this song could've become a hit if they had waited for the Twilight boom to begin and released it as a single then?

49. Ytse Jam

Ytse Jam is an instrumental that includes solos for each musician in the band - you can hear that they were young and wanted to write a piece in which they could show off their chops to the world for the first time (they've done that a lot since then, haven't they? :D). This youthful enthusiasm makes the song fun to listen to and attracts me, which is probably the reason why I like WDADU so much. On a side note, I received Moving Pictures by Rush recently and now that I've heard YYZ some parts of this song make me think: "I see what you did there, DT!"

48. Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu

The first of my numerous song groupings - sorry Blob, but in my eyes these 2 songs can't be separated! Overture 1928 is one of my favorite DT instrumentals as it manages to sum up the best themes of SFAM so successfully. Strange Deja Vu is the point where the story of the album gets properly started and musically it continues the series of brilliant melodies that began in O28 and goes on pretty much throughout the whole album. The groovy JM riff rocks and the harmonies in the choruses are some of MP's best backing vocals ever.

47. Only a Matter of Time

Another song from WDADU (you can expect lots of them!), Only a Matter of Time has divided opinions because of its tricky vocal phrasing (or, to quote Rob, "progressive rap") but I'm one of those who don't mind it - I mean, isn't it progressive to do something like that? ;) Kevin truly shines in this song: his solos in the intro and after the 5-minute mark are phenomenal (or PHNOMENAL?) and he also penned some great lyrics.

46. Sacrificed Sons

I don't know how you Americans feel about Sacrificed Sons but I could imagine its sad and tragic mood desribing the events of 9/11 and the reactions they caused pretty well. The instrumental section is pretty different from the rest of the song but it doesn't feel completely out-of-place like the one in The Ministry of Lost Souls. Anyway, there are some moments of brilliance in SS, like the melody at 6.25 that gives me goosebumps and the heavy final verse - I love how James' vocals get more and more powerful in each verse.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:35:49 AM by ? »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: ?'s 50 favorite pieces of music by DT
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
The first of my numerous song groupings - sorry Blob, but in my eyes these 2 songs can't be separated!

You even said it yourself! They're TWO SONGS!
But you named your thread favorite "pieces of music", and not favorite "songs", so you've defeated me with semantics, and I'll have to shut up for the rest of this list. :lol

Good choices except for OAMOT. I think Ytse Jam is actually a great little instrumental, but OAMOT is the perfect example of everything that's wrong with WDADU imo, including the aforementioned vocal phrasing, which I'd just call bad, rather than "tricky".
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:11:15 AM »
But you named your thread favorite "pieces of music", and not favorite "songs", so you've defeated me with semantics, and I'll have to shut up for the rest of this list. :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:46:47 AM »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:50:38 AM »
Oh, it seems that all great lista are bound to come up together. :tup

On my side of the fence, I never felt the need to consider two bavk to back songs as a single entity. Not woth SDOIT, not with WFS, not for AMBI, not for Vacant.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 01:53:16 AM »
Oh, Milena, that looks familiar :D
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 01:56:49 AM »
On my side of the fence, I never felt the need to consider two bavk to back songs as a single entity. Not woth SDOIT, not with WFS, not for AMBI, not for Vacant.
I'm doing song groupings for the sake of making it easier to do a ranking and not letting certain albums dominate the list completely :angel: Besides, others have done it already. However, I do often listen to many songs back-to-back - even if I had planned to just listen to one song, I may end up thinking: "Whatever, I'll just put the next song on when this has ended."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 04:28:54 AM »
46. Sacrificed Sons

I don't know how you Americans feel about Sacrificed Sons but I could imagine its sad and tragic mood desribing the events of 9/11 and the reactions they caused pretty well.

It's a VERY hard song for me to listen to, even on the date itself.  I know that I'm half a country away from New York City, but that event had such a profound effect on me that I wore black for about two to three months straight afterwards (when a lot of other people were draping themselves in the US flag - while it may have also been appropriate at that time, I felt that black was a better choice given the givens) and it's affected me enough that it makes it so difficult to listen to this song.  It's an awesome song but... to me, it's the equivalent of pouring salt into a wound that will never properly heal.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 04:43:27 AM »
46. Sacrificed Sons

I don't know how you Americans feel about Sacrificed Sons but I could imagine its sad and tragic mood desribing the events of 9/11 and the reactions they caused pretty well.

It's a VERY hard song for me to listen to, even on the date itself.  I know that I'm half a country away from New York City, but that event had such a profound effect on me that I wore black for about two to three months straight afterwards (when a lot of other people were draping themselves in the US flag - while it may have also been appropriate at that time, I felt that black was a better choice given the givens) and it's affected me enough that it makes it so difficult to listen to this song.  It's an awesome song but... to me, it's the equivalent of pouring salt into a wound that will never properly heal.
Aw, that's sad! :sad: I can only imagine the shock as nothing that extreme ever happened here although the school shootings in 2007 and 2008 were really tragic.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 01:15:24 AM »
Today's update includes a couple of songs that aren't necessarily controversial picks, but not fan favorites either.

45. Innocence Faded

Innocence Faded is one of the few uplifting songs bringing some light in the midst of darkness on Awake. The whole album is so amazing that this tune tends to get overshadowed by all the gems surrounding it but on its own it's a really nice song that includes great atmospheric keyboard playing by KM and a wonderful solo by JP. James shines in this song as well, especially in the second verse that has been the source for some hilarious misheard lyrics.

44. Status Seeker

Possibly the first pick that could be considered controversial? Status Seeker is one of the most underrated DT songs - admittedly the 80s synth intro is really cheesy but after that the song gets darker yet more anthemic at the same time. I find Status Seeker extremely catchy and I like the clean guitars in the verses, not to mention the brilliant solo.

43. Honor Thy Father

DON'T CROSS THE CROOKED STEP! Honor Thy Father is one of the heaviest DT songs ever - the whole piece is a huge burst of aggression, even Jordan's solo is very explosive. This is the right song to listen to when everything is screwed up and you feel like kicking a wall. The lyrics may be a little whiny but at least there's some actual emotion to them and they fit the song. Although I've never been the biggest fan of rapping, James manages to pull it off well here. My favorite part is the one with samples, especially the awesome bit at 5.57.

42. This is the Life

This is the Life doesn't seem to get talked about too much around here but it's a beautiful song that proves DT can still write amazing ballads, although the ones on the previous 3 albums weren't too special. JP's lyrics are beautiful - whether they're about MP is up to interpretation. Anyway, I like Jordan's little lead before the second verse a lot, and I don't know if this is a controversial opinion, but I think the solo is up there with the best ones JP has ever played.

41. Another Day

Kevin Moore + piano - 'nuff said. Ok, I'll say a little bit mo(o)re! Another Day is another beautiful ballad - James sounds excellent, JP plays another great solo (damn, I'm mentioning his solos in every single writeup! :lol) and the ending is pure sax.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 01:19:31 AM »
Nevermind for the solos, I am going to do just the same!

As for IF, I have heard many ranking this song in their top 10, which is not at all where I would rank it. It's cool, good solo, good outro (but please, don't stick it at the end of scarred, for christ's sake!) and good singing, but I was never really nuts about it.
- Marco

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 01:21:43 AM »
Great to see some love for Status Seeker :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 01:25:33 AM »
Nice picks except for Status Seeker, which I consider one of many throwaway tracks on WDADU, so I consider that one controversial. That would be a bottom fiver for me. But the rest are good choices.

I really like Innocence Faded, and I think it's actually a little underrated compared to the rest of Awake. It's a nice upbeat song with nice harmonies, plus JLB's killer vocals on the middle section, then the cool guitar outro bit. A great bit of songwriting there.

HTF I need to be in the mood for much like most of ToT, but when I am, it's a great balls to the wall metal track. I really love JR's solo here. It's just like a big aggressive release, and fits the song perfectly.

This is the Life is one of my favourites on ADTOE, and I'd say probably the only memorable JP solo on the album for me. I don't think it's controversial to rank it with his best. Beautiful guitar leads, especially during the outro when it's overlaid with JLB's vocals. And I love JR's lead too. It's something that you wouldn't typically put with that kind of song, but it's tasteful, and it works. There's no interpretation on the lyrics as far as I'm concerned though. They're not about MP.

And Another Day is from IaW - 'nuff said. :biggrin:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 01:29:38 AM »
Nevermind for the solos, I am going to do just the same!
JP, Y U PLAY SO MANY GREAT SOLOS?! :lol
Great to see some love for Status Seeker :tup
Yeah, I've never understood why it gets so much hate, even on the WDADU scale.

Also, Blob liked 4 of the 5 picks? :omg: That won't happen too many times in this thread...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »
Also, Blob liked 4 of the 5 picks? :omg: That won't happen too many times in this thread...

Is that a promise? :(

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 01:32:24 AM »

Is that a promise? :(
Just my prediction :biggrin:

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 02:24:37 AM »
Another Day and This is the Life are nice picks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 04:08:27 AM »
So far, this list is full of win.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 04:22:23 AM »
I don't really care all that much for Status Seeker, Honor Thy Father or Innocence Faded, but I suspect our musical tastes will align more when we reach the higher spots.

Always good to see some appreciation for Sacrificed Sons, very underrated song in my opinion, especially when compared to the title track on that album.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 04:30:34 AM »
Speaking of Status Seeker, I LOVE this performance AND the embedded high note  :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9EvdQvK5Ew&t=2m45s
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 04:37:22 AM »
41. Another Day

and the ending is pure sax.
:metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 06:30:48 AM »
So far, this list is full of win.
:2metal:
I don't really care all that much for Status Seeker, Honor Thy Father or Innocence Faded, but I suspect our musical tastes will align more when we reach the higher spots.
Your suspicion isn't completely off! ;)
Speaking of Status Seeker, I LOVE this performance AND the embedded high note  :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9EvdQvK5Ew&t=2m45s
As much as I love James' vocals, I think Charlie's voice suits SS better. That note is epic, though, and I have to say that the '93 intro beats the original.
41. Another Day

and the ending is pure sax.
:metal
:letam:

Offline Ruba

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 07:04:17 AM »
Looking good so far, I'm liking to see WDADU songs (though they are mostly too low).

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »
Looking good so far, I'm liking to see WDADU songs (though they are mostly too low).
Don't worry, there'll be more of them!

The list carries oooooonnn...

40. Caught in a Web

Caught in a Web was one of the first DT songs to click with me and that's why it will always hold a special place in my heart. The 7-string riffing sounds really heavy yet groovy at the same time and James' vocals are powerful, although the way he sings makes it easy to mishear certain parts of the song. The instrumental section is also really cool and the following part with cowbell just rules!

39. A Nightmare to Remember

I used to regard ANTR as one of DT's best songs but nowadays I'm more critical of it because of the second half: the instrumental section is pretty generic (one solo per instrument would've been enough!) and then there's the infamous MP vocal bit. I don't dislike it, but the "everyone survived" lyrics feel out of place and the roaring sounds a bit forced - I truly wish MP had let James sing this part the way it was originally meant to be! Despite all this criticism I absolutely love the first half thanks to the ass-kicking riffs and the stunning "Beautiful Agony" section; they're great enough to make me rank ANTR this high.

I'm also grateful that DT released the stems for BC&SL in that deluxe box - otherwise we wouldn't have awesome remixes like A King to Remember!

38. These Walls

These Walls sounds a bit like Linkin Park (my sister is a fan of them so I've heard From the Inside) but this isn't meant to be an insult because it's a freaking catchy tune. I like the crunchy baritone guitars, although it's slightly ironic that such a poppy song is in a lower tuning than any "metal" DT song. All in all, These Walls is a song that could've become a hit in a perfect world, and I find the lyrics very relatable.

37. A Fortune in Lies

The first song on the first album - DT's recording career began with a blast! A Fortune in Lies is a great opening to WDADU as it showcases DT's style really well with all the tempo changes, rapid riffs and the cool guitar solo. I like the use of samples here and Charlie sounds good - James' live performances of this song from the I&W tour absolutely slay though!

36. Through Her Eyes

As an individual song Through Her Eyes works better than most of SFAM but it's also strongly connected to the rest of the album: the chord progression of the intro is also heard in Regression and The Spirit Carries On, and the main piano melody is based on Through My Words. Through Her Eyes is a really beautiful piece including nice fretless bass work by JM. It's also the only DT song I've heard on the radio. BTW, I still remember how someone on this board once said that this song is about skullfucking! :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »
43. Honor Thy Father

DON'T CROSS THE CROOKED STEP! Honor Thy Father is one of the heaviest DT songs ever - the whole piece is a huge burst of aggression, even Jordan's solo is very explosive. This is the right song to listen to when everything is screwed up and you feel like kicking a wall. The lyrics may be a little whiny but at least there's some actual emotion to them and they fit the song. Although I've never been the biggest fan of rapping, James manages to pull it off well here. My favorite part is the one with samples, especially the awesome bit at 5.57.

Whiny lyrics or not, this song really struck a chord with me.  Not because of my Dad (he's awesome in every way possible) - it's Honor Thy MOTHER in my case.  Here's a little something I posted about it on one of obscure's (yes, THAT obscure :P ) status updates about this very song:
=
Honestly, I think it helps if you come from a broken and/or dysfunctional family. For a while I thought this song was about MP's real father - it clicked when I found out it was really about his stepfather.  The lines "I'll see her when she's older/and I'll bounce her on my knee" are about the stepfather's attitude to MP's half-sister (Samantha).

Anyhoo... in my case, the song wouldn't be directed towards my father (as he's completely awesome and has always been there for me through anything imaginable) - it's Honor Thy MOTHER in my case.  Not to get to depressing or anything, but let's just say that it's always been hard to have any kind of relationship with someone who can't fucking stand you and never could.  I feel LOADS better after cutting her out of my life completely going on 3 years ago.  I hate to say that about blood relations but... my egg donor needs serious psychiatric help that she'll never get.

So... this song really hits home for me in a lot of ways.
=

Yeah, and stuff.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 01:01:54 AM »
:hug:

I am fortunate enough to be unable to relate HTF to my experience in any way.
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 01:14:50 AM »
^Me too, but it's unfortunate how there are so many not-so-good parents in the world.

BTW, I would've linked the MP Sparta Remix in my writeup for ANTR but I can't find it anymore. What a shame if it got deleted - I thought it was hilarious and even MP himself liked it!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 01:19:57 AM »
 :censored I cam't believe it was taken down! Are you sure you searched thoroughly?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:34:40 AM by wasteland »
- Marco

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 01:20:11 AM »
:hug:

I am fortunate enough to be unable to relate HTF to my experience in any way.

^Me too, but it's unfortunate how there are so many not-so-good parents in the world.

You guys are truly lucky, then.  Although, I am too because Dad picked up the slack in a lot of ways.  I shudder to think of what could've happened had both my parents not given a shit.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 01:25:55 AM »
You guys are truly lucky, then.  Although, I am too because Dad picked up the slack in a lot of ways.  I shudder to think of what could've happened had both my parents not given a shit.
That's true - in some families both parents may be totally ignorant and careless, so you're blessed to have had a good dad.
:censoredmI cam't believe it was taken down! Are you sure you searched thoroughly?
Yeah, here's the original topic where it was posted, and as you can see from the YT link it has been deleted :sadpanda:

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 01:55:32 AM »
That's true - in some families both parents may be totally ignorant and careless, so you're blessed to have had a good dad.

Oh, I still have a good Dad. ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 02:06:50 AM »
Good choices. :tup
AFIL is pretty good, although there are some minor vocal phrasing problems, as is the case with a lot of the album. But it is one of the songs from WDADU that sounds quite good with Charlie on it. The Marquee version is the version though.
And I love ANTR and These Walls, and I guess CIAW too. All underrated tunes. :tup

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 02:27:04 AM »
SO great to see These Walls, it's easily my favourite tune from Octavarium.

The other songs are also really good, except ANTR which I agree is awesome in the first half, and then the abrupt solo section which really brings it down, but when the theme returns to the haunting progression with the Continuum it kicks ass until the end (even the MP vocals). I think it would have been better if instead of the bluesy solo section returning (which isn't bad in itself, just out of place after Beautiful Agony) it should have continued that section or something similar that's more heartfelt and have a guitar solo over that, and maybe a Continuum part, which then goes into the part I mentioned earlier. The song would be REALLY good if it was more like that.