Author Topic: Re: MoraWintersoul's top 50 DT songs v. feeling my heart pull west  (Read 20748 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: MoraWintersoul's top 50 DT songs v. sit back and enjoy the ride
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »
I have an odd story about this picture. A couple of years ago I was at my then girlfriend's, whose family happened to be very religious, and I saw the original from which this picture has been made on a calendar. For about 10 seconds I was convinced I was actually seeing JP's face there, and not Jesus's.

It really took me a big logical effort to rule out the possibility.  :lol

This should have gone into the "DT is my life" thread, but whatever...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
I have an odd story about this picture. A couple of years ago I was at my then girlfriend's, whose family happened to be very religious, and I saw the original from which this picture has been made on a calendar. For about 10 seconds I was convinced I was actually seeing JP's face there, and not Jesus's.

Totally sig'd.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »
Endless Sacrifice = a top 10 for me if not 5  :heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 12:29:09 PM »

I had the same reaction at work yesterday. :hifive:

Online Mladen

Re: MoraWintersoul's top 50 DT songs v. a mostly ballady update
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »
42. Cover My Eyes
To paraphrase/quote Mladen, why the fuck did they leave this off the album if they wanted a hit single for it? Killer. Not the highest unreleased song position here, either :)
Gotta agree with myself here.  :biggrin: Also great to see Peruvian skies.  :metal

Late to the party, but I'll be following the list and looking forward to seeing how it works out.  :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 02:38:37 PM »
Endless Sacrifice = a top 10 for me if not 5  :heart
You're a good human being.

The Silent Man is a top 10 song and the best song off Awake. Come at me.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »
39.   These Walls (Octavarium)
Can you say "underrated" a million times? I'm really excited about this on the DVD. Those keyyyyyyys. Those lyricssssss. Well, okay, not so much the execution of the lyrics as much as that subject matter. That simple solo. Dem vocs. Daim!

38.   Home (Scenes From A Memory)
If Metropolis were a person, I'd shamelessly whore myself with (is this the proper preposition? do I care?) it, so it's no wonder I harbor much love for his exotic younger brother as well. Okay so the sex-section is one of the worst ideas ever. But there's LSFNY to save the day, so I can turn the commentary for that part on, and laugh. JLB's wordless groaning + MP's "WHO WANTS TO COME" makes the sex-scene thing cooler and more "in character" even when I don't turn the commentary on, which brings me to another point - I quite prefer that version over the studio one, because you can just feel (and see!) DT going into world-domination sections with ease and then keeping the fun and improv factor in.

37.   On The Backs Of Angels (A Dramatic Turn Of Events)
When this song came out, I figured I'd like the album a lot more than I ended up liking it (but eh, life goes on). I still think this one is phenomenally written and performed (especially by Mangini, I just wanna hug that man), and the thing I like the most about it is how they didn't let themselves beat around the bush for too long, despite taking such long time to build it up (paradoxically) and how variation is brought into different pieces of the song. I like how that guitar turnover at the end of the pre-chorus made me say "oh that was clever, I actually didn't see it coming." I like the powerful vocal lines in the chorus itself. And can I have some love for that solo.

36.   Under A Glass Moon (Images And Words)
Until maybe a year ago, I didn't have this song in high regard at all. I still think it's more performance and not composition which makes it a worthwhile piece, but there's nothing wrong with that! Two things:
1) I swear to God James says "subsides to her sTurvival".
2) Pondering over UAGM lyrics at 3AM produced one of my lenghtiest rants on JP's lyrics which I just have to re-post since I'm not giving you anything worthwhile to read anyway :lol
...his strength is in the imagery, as opposed to telling a story - The Killing Hand and The Dark Eternal Night wouldn't be captivating in prose at all.

But when he depicts... I dunno, a measure of whether the lyric is good for me is whether I can proudly and unironically sing along to it without feeling silly, lots of bonus points if it's relatable. Even though UAGM and Voices are not about anything in particular, they are still so beautifully written I don't mind, and that's a rare occurrence for me. They are just overly sparkly, those words, and seemingly jumbled, just like their music, but so beautiful and beautifully put together, and beauty doesn't have to be about anything. They just fit into the early DT aesthetic as well - a group of thoughtful young men who all had such a visible spark and individuality to them, but they weren't dreadfully serious beyond their age or pompous, but just poetic and like flamboyant romantics I guess. Even the visuals - huge fluffy shirts, ridiculously long hair, brightly colored detailed covers, all in the era of plaid and Doc Martens! They were just boldly out there and those JP lyrics just fit the aesthetic. A little silly but just a little. Five percent silly and "outdated", ninety five percent brilliant is how you could call early DT in everything.

35.   Vacant (Train Of Thought)
How can a simple two-minute ballad accomplish giving breathing space to an entire album, and how is it possible to capture such deep emotion in under 20 lines in an entire song? You give that task to Dream Theater and they'll figure it out.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:46:37 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »
If Metropolis were a person, I'd shamelessly whore myself with.

brb changing name :hat

In all seriousness, all of these songs are very cool. Vacant especially is amazing, and it is so often overlooked, good to see it mentioned here. :tup
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:09:10 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »
Vacant is the only song I truly love in TOT. I wish there was more of that in the album  :-\
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
Vacant is the only song I truly love in TOT. I wish there was more of that in the album  :-\
GET OFF THE SHIP LIKE RIGHT NOW.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
*withdraws* :emo:
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
*withdraws* :emo:

I'll just leave these here and you'll come back :laugh:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
You are never going to get me with those petty serbian tricks! *eats*
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Good bunch of songs, I ranked them all pretty similarly.
Vacant is beautiful but there's no way it could beat a certain song on the album ;)

Offline Unlegit

5 awesome songs. Good to see love for Vacant and These Walls.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
These Walls. Another high one on my own list :hefdaddy
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
5 awesome songs. Nice picks!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
39.   These Walls (Octavarium)
Can you say "underrated" a million times?

MASSIVELY underrated. :2metal:

Online Mladen

Good ones.  :tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
34.   The Ministry Of Lost Souls (Systematic Chaos)
The only SC song that made the list. To a lot of people, the instrumental section ruins it, but I really adore at least one half of it, and the rest doesn't spoil it at all. The song could have probably been a bit better if the solo was simpler and shorter but I like it a lot this way too, so there you have it.

33.   Ytse Jam (When Dream And Day Unite)
Dun dun dun, dun dun dun :metal the essential DT instrumental. I sig'd a section from it for fuck sake, it's that awesome.

32.   Solitary Shell (Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, disc 2)
A welcome injection of positivity into SDOIT (well, at least musically), and probably the most fun song to sing along to. And Jordan is just amazing in it. SDOIT is Jordan's party and what a goddamn fun party it is.

31.   Goodnight Kiss (Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, disc 2)
JP sneakily tried to kill us with this solo.

30.   Through Her Eyes (Scenes From A Memory)
JLB sneakily tried to kill us with his vocal phrasing here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:31:39 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Online Mladen

Wait, are you talking about the outro solo in The Ministry of lost souls? That's the best solo I've heard in my entire life, it's perfect the way it is in my opinion. Just imagine being a guitarist and playing the solo, you wouldn't want it ever to end.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:02:55 AM by Mladen »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
I approve Goodnight Kiss being higher than Solitary Shell, however close. I havn't cared for Ministry since May 2009, though.
- Marco

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
TMOLS is underrated. Through Her Eyes is fantastic! Yste Jam is great but not DT's best instrumental.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
The instrumental section of TMOLS is basically the musical equivalent of a troll face: "We decided to throw this completely unrelated instrumental to the middle of this nice ballad, u mad?!" :facepalm:

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
33.   Ytse Jam
Dun dun dun, dun dun dun :metal the essential DT instrumental. I sig'd a section from it for fuck sake, it's that awesome.
I sig'd a section from Raw Dog.
V

Offline Tomislav95

Great list so far. TMOLS is underrated :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
The Ministry of Lost Souls. :tup
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
29.   The Mirror (Awake)
Say Puppies On Acid isn't one of the best intros ever and I'll smash your face. On acid.

28.   Innocence Faded (Awake)
Probably the best "high verse" in DT discography, although not the best song containing one. It's also one of the first early DT songs I remember liking, especially in comparison to the two dark weird tracks that precede it on Awake. I always thought JLB sounded really weird here... go figure. SOMETHING SOMETHING GOD IT'S SUNDAY DO HAAAAAAIIIIIIR.

27.   Another Day (Images and Words)
Probably a bit of a blasphemy to place this above Innocence Faded. I just like the lyrics a little better so I guess that outweighed IF. Sorry IF fans. I count myself among you anyway :lol

26.   Another Hand/The Killing Hand
When I write it down like this, you know which version I'm talking about. JLB took a song and made it a SONG ( and I absolutely adore Another Hand, like it much better than the original intro. DT's first multisectioned epic, and what do you know, it's fabulous. I love the section of the I Can Remember When docu when JP explains the lyrics and they all get so tired by the time he finishes, it's like a goddamn bedtime story :lol

25.   Beyond This Life (Scenes From A Memory)
Yes, I like this better than Home. Better song overall, with a better solo (the Zappa section ftw) and I would very much love to see it live.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MoraWintersoul's top 50 DT songs v. Distant like brothers Baynes
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
Every time I read Another Hand / The Killing Hand I hear the AH incipit ringing in my head. It's just too good :tup
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
29.   The Mirror (Awake)
Say Puppies On Acid isn't one of the best intros ever and I'll smash your face. On acid.
:metal

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.

When I write it down like this, you know which version I'm talking about. JLB took a song and made it a SONG ( and I absolutely adore Another Hand, like it much better than the original intro. DT's first multisectioned epic, and what do you know, it's fabulous. I love the section of the I Can Remember When docu when JP explains the lyrics and they all get so tired by the time he finishes, it's like a goddamn bedtime story :lol

AH/TKH is an awesome song, and you know what? Every time I listen to it, I feel like that amazing intro doesn't 100% fit to the track, but... in a good way. As you can guess from my nickname, I am quite fond of TKH, I think it's a very solid song, with a dark, epic and dramatic mood, a great suite. The intro used in AT/TKH is much warmer than the rest of the track, hopeful and positive, and you can really feel the gap between the intro and the actual song.

But the funny thing is that... it really works. This sudden change of mood, strengthens the dark atmosphere of the track by creating a strong contrast. To me, it's just like when you see those happy families at the beginning of horror/thriller movies, it's a narrative device applied in music. Aside from the contrast, it also creates an awesomely inspired crescendo, that powerfully bursts into the first stanza of TKH. Absolutely amazing.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2013, 04:06:43 AM »
Beyond This Life on the right spot, Yup I just sad that. I saw it live and it became my number 1 and obsession. (Bootlegs etc.) So yeah.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2013, 05:08:18 AM »
But there IS more of that in the album, 11:16 minutes in fact. Slightly heavier mind you :P

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2013, 06:30:23 AM »
I dont't like BTL than much. I will give it a try.
And AH/TKH  :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »

AH/TKH is an awesome song, and you know what? Every time I listen to it, I feel like that amazing intro doesn't 100% fit to the track, but... in a good way. As you can guess from my nickname, I am quite fond of TKH, I think it's a very solid song, with a dark, epic and dramatic mood, a great suite. The intro used in AT/TKH is much warmer than the rest of the track, hopeful and positive, and you can really feel the gap between the intro and the actual song.

But the funny thing is that... it really works. This sudden change of mood, strengthens the dark atmosphere of the track by creating a strong contrast. To me, it's just like when you see those happy families at the beginning of horror/thriller movies, it's a narrative device applied in music. Aside from the contrast, it also creates an awesomely inspired crescendo, that powerfully bursts into the first stanza of TKH. Absolutely amazing.

Finally Free uses the same technique but works MUCH better. Although I like AH, I prefer the studio intro.