Author Topic: The Official Playstation 4 Thread.  (Read 25832 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Official Playstation 4 Thread.
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2013, 12:54:28 AM »
Pretty much yeah. It'll initially download enough for you to start playing (so I guess all the core engine stuff etc) and then you stream until its all downloaded. Pretty cool idea!

I think it all sounds pretty great at the moment. I'm seeing lots of people complaining that they didn't unveil the device itself, but I don't see why that's in any way important. What it looks like isn't going to affect anything about what it does. Some people have weird priorities.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2013, 02:53:01 AM »
These Capcom game captures here are all in-game graphics, no pre-renders  :tup

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2013, 05:44:32 AM »
Good lord. That makes me extremely excited for how the new Final Fantasy is going to look.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2013, 06:03:11 AM »
Those graphics are stunning.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2013, 06:16:30 AM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2013, 06:19:41 AM »
That first one makes Skyrim look like shit.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2013, 06:24:38 AM »
I'll be more impressed when I see playable demos which are a bit away I guess. I can only see myself picking up the new PS for Gran Turismo 6. However unlike last time I'll wait for full game to be released before I buy the console.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2013, 06:34:46 AM »
I'll be more impressed when I see playable demos which are a bit away I guess. I can only see myself picking up the new PS for Gran Turismo 6. However unlike last time I'll wait for full game to be released before I buy the console.

I remember paying $40 just for the Gran Turismo 5 demo

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2013, 06:35:43 AM »
Just saw this status on FB

" can't wait for the ps4 to come out and bomb so I can get mad ps3 games for cheap."

I can't figure out this logic.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2013, 07:32:05 AM »

I remember paying $40 just for the Gran Turismo 5 demo

I was tempted to get it but I never did, I held out for GT5.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2013, 07:35:58 AM »

" can't wait for the ps4 to come out and bomb so I can get mad ps3 games for cheap."

Are you.. are you on my facebook? :lol

EDIT: Oh he said "And bomb", okay that's not me heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2013, 07:39:46 AM »
Deep Down
Of all the games shown last night this game impressed me the most. The sound and visual of the dragons fire is just stunning!  :heart

I'm excited for Watch Dogs though but i've already seen that game.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2013, 08:35:23 AM »

Is he not aware of how quickly games depreciate?

I'm still most excited to play Watch Dogs of all the "next-gen" games announced so far, but the PS4 has a lot of potential! I guess they're gonna wait until E3 to announce pricing, show the console and release date/window.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2013, 08:40:20 AM »

Is he not aware of how quickly game depreciate?

Doubt it. He's 24, been done with college for two years, and still hasn't made a resume/applied anywhere. He also has yet to open a bank account.... Something tells me he doesn't quite grasp the basic fundamentals of currency let alone depreciation.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »

Is he not aware of how quickly games depreciate?

I'm not aware of how quickly games depreciate cause I never saw a game quickly depreciate. As usual I feel most people here come from a different gaming world than I do :lol
I guess none of the games I was ever interested in and waited for have depreciated quickly.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »
Most games drop $20-$40 within the first 3 months of release.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2013, 03:31:44 PM »
I wonder how they'll stream legacy titles.  I'd love to be able to pop in my disk and "activate" streaming capabilities, as opposed to buying the game again.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2013, 04:08:13 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline j

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »
Previously purchased PSN downloads will not play on it.  Don't give a fuck about any of the strange social media features or cloud services they're pushing.  I'm not convinced that there won't be cumbersome DRM limitations or that it will even play used/borrowed games (it may, but the ambiguous quote people have been claiming "confirms" it is suspect).  Likely to be priced around 500 bucks.  And the biggest thing for me, still no backward compatibility, or any hint of an intention to provide it in the future.

Practically all of these gripes apply to Microsoft's consoles too, while Nintendo has their own set of issues (although strangely enough, almost every selling point of the PS4 is a Nintendo innovation/Wii U selling point).

Of course the hardware will be impressive, and of course there will inevitably be at least a handful of games that I would REALLY like to play.  But as big a scam as this whole industry has become, and as little time as I have lately to play video games, I think I'm done with consoles for the foreseeable future.  I suppose it's too much to hope for a future in which games are available in some universal digital format, and I don't have to own 26 different game consoles or buy multiple copies of the same games in order to play them how I want.

Just so that this post isn't a TOTALLY negative buzz kill, I will say that several of the software demos they showed yesterday were pretty mind-blowing.

-J

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2013, 04:24:21 PM »
Previously purchased PSN downloads will not play on it.  Don't give a fuck about any of the strange social media features or cloud services they're pushing.  I'm not convinced that there won't be cumbersome DRM limitations or that it will even play used/borrowed games (it may, but the ambiguous quote people have been claiming "confirms" it is suspect).  Likely to be priced around 500 bucks.  And the biggest thing for me, still no backward compatibility, or any hint of an intention to provide it in the future.

Practically all of these gripes apply to Microsoft's consoles too, while Nintendo has their own set of issues (although strangely enough, almost every selling point of the PS4 is a Nintendo innovation/Wii U selling point).

Of course the hardware will be impressive, and of course there will inevitably be at least a handful of games that I would REALLY like to play.  But as big a scam as this whole industry has become, and as little time as I have lately to play video games, I think I'm done with consoles for the foreseeable future.  I suppose it's too much to hope for a future in which games are available in some universal digital format, and I don't have to own 26 different game consoles or buy multiple copies of the same games in order to play them how I want.

Just so that this post isn't a TOTALLY negative buzz kill, I will say that several of the software demos they showed yesterday were pretty mind-blowing.

-J

Good points, and I can see how if you're not into the new social integration, it wouldn't be a selling point for you.  But some of those features are actually pretty new, at least for consoles.  Instant video uploading. Spectate and control modes for your friends. Being able to interact with your game whether you're on your phone, tablet, PC, or console.  Browse the PSN store on your phone, buy a game, it's already downloaded by the time you get home.  Those are great features.

One of my concerns is that DRM may be used to limit access to those features if you didn't buy the game new.  I'd rather the presence of game info on my PSN account enable those cloud features.  I'd hate it if new games came with an "unlock code" that must be purchased for $10 if you bought a used copy. 

Offline j

« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »

Good points, and I can see how if you're not into the new social integration, it wouldn't be a selling point for you.  But some of those features are actually pretty new, at least for consoles.  Instant video uploading. Spectate and control modes for your friends. Being able to interact with your game whether you're on your phone, tablet, PC, or console.  Browse the PSN store on your phone, buy a game, it's already downloaded by the time you get home.  Those are great features.

Oh, I don't doubt at all that those features are appealing to a subset of gamers (although some of them like the PSN network availability across devices I certainly wouldn't call new or innovative).  But I do wonder if they have broad enough appeal to make Sony's investment in them successful.

-J

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »
I really don't care about any of the social network integration. As long as I can play sick games alone, watch Netflix, and use the blueray drive, I'm happy.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »

Oh, I don't doubt at all that those features are appealing to a subset of gamers (although some of them like the PSN network availability across devices I certainly wouldn't call new or innovative).  But I do wonder if they have broad enough appeal to make Sony's investment in them successful.

-J

I can see the reasoning for moving more into a cohesive system across multiple devices.  Mobile gaming on Apple and Android devices has exploded.  If Sony and its developers are able to engage players wherever they're at, they're more likely to buy games for the console.  There's something to be said for pick up and play games, and if I can interact with console quality titles wherever I am, I'd probably feel more inclined to (instantly) power on the console when I get home and continue the experience.

I'm curious what other systems you're referencing when you say that multiple device access isn't new or innovative.  The only ones I know of are SmartGlass for 360, which little more than a remote companion app, and the Steam app, but that's just a store.  What other service lets me pull up an app on my iPad and watch what my friend is playing in real time?  They even mentioned interacting with the player; dropping power ups, health potions, etc.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2013, 08:38:26 PM »
I really don't care about any of the social network integration. As long as I can play sick games alone, watch Netflix, and use the blueray drive, I'm happy.
Overall, I'm with you on this. They're not going to be able to sell it on the social stuff if the games aren't there to back it up. The social network stuff is probably going to be really cool though. The whole idea of being able to watch your friends play, cross-game chat, and the "downloading games your friends all bought" sounds like it has major potential.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

• DTF.org Member

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »
^ This looks to me as good as the last couple of Call of Duty PS3 games, even in graphics.
Anybody else think the controller is butt ugly?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »
Yea i know, too much fuzz for nothing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2013, 02:57:05 PM »
I do, Metty. I think it's horrid. In fact I think this whole reveal was horrid.

I have not been impressed in the slightest with any showings of the PS4. I really don't give a shit if I can see every single fiber of hair on the Minotaur's ass and the fire looks really hot owie. It all looks the fucking same. Give me some actual ingenuity, some creativity, some god damn imagination. Yeah, it looks super high-res. Great. It's been the same games shown from the last generation with a few tweaks, some social integration (which is borderline cool), and absolutely nothing that would make me want to shell out the cash to buy this. Meh. So much meh. I grew up on Playstation, so as much as I'd like to call myself a fan, this unveil may have solidified me not giving a shit.

I mean...do the graphics really have to be at the forefront? They're important, yes; but that is all they're talking about. If you're going to focus every ounce of excitement on graphics, then at least give me something that doesn't look like a photograph. That's super awesome man, I can play games and feel like I'm looking out my window. Where's the super-high-res Okami-like artwork that to this day looks better than anything I've seen shown on PS4? I'm prone to liking more artsy-whimsical styles than Gears-of-War-Killzone-Skyrim-Assassin's-Creed-Infamous-Gran-Turismo mash-up of ULTRA IN YOUR FACE SMELL THE ASPHALT GRAPHICS. Ugh. It's all so familiar. But hey, I can actually see the boogers in that Ogre's nose. NIIIIIICE!

Oh well. I'm sure there's going to be some games I'll want to play eventually, but right now I could not possible care less about anything PS4-related. Really.  :\

/endpointlessrant

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2013, 03:07:20 PM »
Tio, what else are you expecting exactly?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2013, 03:08:17 PM »
Graphics:  I doubt the upgrade will be less in your face, but more in the small details.  More particles, better lighting, etc.  Not to mention most games running native 1080P at 60FPS.

Controller:  It looks odd, but I'm reserving judgment until I feel it.  It appears more ergonomic, which is really all that matters.  I watch my screen, not my hands when playing.  The PS4 FINALLY comes packaged with a headset, an absence from last generation that made playing with your friends feel like high-fiving through a brick wall.

Social:  Yeah, a lot of people aren't blown away by this, but that doesn't make it any less important when considering the market as a whole.  One of the (many) reasons people bought the 360 over the PS3 was because all their friends had it.  They could chat while playing, and interact with each other much more easily than trying to pair a bluetooth headset to the PS3.  For the PS4 to embrace that aspect will make the console that much more attractive.

Sony tried to dig so many different holes with the last generation (It only does everything), that it ended up doing a pretty poor job on most fronts, other than games.  Microsoft has the clear edge coming into this generation with a loyal fanbase.  Microsoft would have to limp out of the gate to see a massive exodus of players to the PS4.  Otherwise, I don't see the Sony doing any better than an equal share of the market. 

That's still a huge achievement, mind you.  But a lot of what I'm reading analyzes this generation as being isolated.  That's not the case at all.  Even though worldwide sales of the PS3 have just recently eclipsed the 360, the US market shows a clear divide, to the tune of about 50% more 360's sold over PS3.  That's made even more evident when you compare sales of CoD titles.  Black Ops 2 sold about 35% more copies on 360 than PS3.

Bottom Line:  If Sony wants to win this generation, it needs to convince people NOT to buy the NextBox.  We'll have to wait and see what Microsoft has in store, and what E3 brings us to make a better prediction.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
Tio, what else are you expecting exactly?

I expected them to show something different. All of these games shown are nothing more than upgrades of older ideas, sprinkled with the beauty of new graphics. That's my view, anyway. Nearly every game they showed was an already established IP. I realize this is how it is with almost every company when they first unveil a system, which is why I said eventually I'll more than likely be excited for a game on the PS4; but I didn't think it'd be so overwhelmingly...old. I mean, I haven't turned on any of my systems for a while, but when the Wii was first announced, it got me excited with its creativity and new ways of thinking at least (and for the record I think it ultimately failed, but had a fantastic start and could have grown to something more).

I'm not turning this into a 'console war' talk, because I really couldn't care less about what company makes more money over another. However, I do respect Nintendo's ingenuity over Sony's complete lack of creativity and apparent 'lean-on-me' attitude towards 'powerful gaming' and graphics galore. It at least got me thinking of possibilities, it got me excited over the future. The PS4 leaves no room for that in my mind. It is what it is. I don't want them to start using motion-control or anything like that, but some new aspect would have been nice. The touch-pad on the controller is cool, but it's so miniscule that I cannot possible see this turning into a main gameplay mechanic, and it seems downright gimmicky. Something to change the way I view gaming, not 'tweak' it. Microsoft is trying with the Illumi-room (I think that's what it's called) and that's pretty awesome, and it's more in line with what I'd like to see from Sony. Something, anything that is creative and new. I mean, I'm certainly not going to think of one so I can't blame them for keeping the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentality... It's just underwhelming.

I expected something new, not something 'upgraded'. If you're into the PS3 and you love FPS gaming, First-Person/Third-Person adventure ala Elder Scrolls, or racing games, then that's awesome, you'll love the PS4. But this did absolutely nothing to bring in a new market of gamers; it did nothing to bring back old fans like me who grew up with PlayStation, but were lost in the shuffle among the changing ideals of the PlayStation brand, putting flashy showcasing over creative gaming. I'm just dumbfounded by how it all looks so very similar; each and every game the showed looked like it could have come from the last.

So, maybe my expectations were set too high and I'm just in the wrong market now. Or maybe I'm becoming cynical because I'm seeing a change in direction over the last couple generations of gaming. I'm always going to be the old-fart who puts gameplay over graphics, so I realize that WiiU, in my mind, will be more appealing than the PS4. But that doesn't mean I'm immediately going to love the WiiU, however, it sure as shit got me more interested upon the reveal. This did nothing to spur my imagination. There's nothing fresh here. It's all upgrades to the same ideas that they've had since PS2. So, really, I'm not sure what I was expecting; but it wasn't this. The immense hype Sony themselves built up over the reveal certainly didn't help.

Like I said, there's no doubt that a game will come out that will make me want to buy the PS4, but as for this specific reveal, it was a complete flop for me.

tl;dr: I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't a rehash of old ideas. Which, from where I'm sitting, is exactly what the PS4 is. With...a mini-touchpad on the controller.

RIP DTP.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »
Did you see the trailers for Knack and The Witness?  Because while that wasn't the main brunt of the presentation, they are almost exactly what you're calling for.  Stylized, new IP, imagination, etc.

Knack Trailer

The Witness Trailer

Not to mention the PS4 will support new models of games, such as microtransactions, episodic, free to play, etc.  That opens up the indie game market substantially.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2013, 03:43:16 PM »
I agree that gameplay is the most important thing (well, actually for me story is more important than gameplay), but we can't experience that until the thing actually exists for us to play! So we have to make do with seeing the controller, and them describing what will be different about how the thing plays, which they provided.

I just don't know what difference you are expecting. You keep saying you wanted it to be different, but different how? What does different mean? Console games in that format work. Sure the Wii was quite innovative, but really it was a gimmick, a bit of fun that got old for the majority of gamers. The PS4 is trying some cool new things, but the games will still be games as we know them (which is still bloody varied) because that's what people want.

EDIT: Also, what FW said. There was plenty of innovation in there.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2013, 03:52:40 PM »
I was very impressed to say the least

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »
Okay, Knack looks awesome; that's the first thing I've seen that does make me excited.

Ariich, quite honestly, I don't know what exactly I want aside from something 'different'. I mean...that is why they're the innovators and creators and I'm a waiter who consumes those creations.  :lol So I apologize that I can't expand really, but even something as simple as expanding the area in which we play, like the Illumi-room, was immensely exciting for me. Precisely because it changes the way I play. That's about as expansive as I can get. If I could think of a million-dollar innovation, I wouldn't be asking for it from Sony. I wish I could so I could send them the idea.

So yes, my expectations were probably way out of whack, but I honestly figured what with their other two competitors trying out something that differs from the usual 'controller-to-television' format, that Sony would want to innovate as well; and on some fronts they have, but not enough for me to shell out a whole lot of money for what amounts to an upgraded PS3 that can't even play PS3 games outside of emulation (which, frankly, I'll be able to do on my computer as I do with almost every other generation of gaming in a few years time...okay maybe a bit more than that but I stand by the point...and for the record, most of what I have emulated, I also have in physical format...in another country). If they want me to get excited about their system, they need to show me that they're doing something different from last generation, which they hardly are, by a smidgen.

In the end, I suppose this presentation was strictly for fans who loved the PS3 and not to widen the area of their fanbase. I mean...that's clear now, but I thought they'd want to expand their market. I'm going in circles now, I know it; but I can't grasp how I could say it differently without coming up with an idea myself... Tis my issue, but I don't have a tissue.  :sadpanda:

RIP DTP.