Author Topic: The Official Playstation 4 Thread.  (Read 25836 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Playstation 4 Thread.
« Reply #315 on: June 12, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »
With some of the games announced at E3 this week (Uncharted 4, Battlefront, Last of Us remastered), I'm thinking so too.  Though, probably not tomorrow.  The Arkham Knight gameplay trailer is killer!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #316 on: June 13, 2014, 05:00:00 AM »
I'm definitely getting one too. The sony press conference sold me 100%.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #317 on: June 13, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »
Been looking for a reason to buy a PS4... with Uncharted 4, the Last of Us remastered and GTA V remastered all expected to come out soon? Damn, I am ready to get me one now too!  :biggrin:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #318 on: June 13, 2014, 08:37:35 AM »
Make sure you buy the PS Plus subscription even if you don't plan to play online multiplayers. Every month the give away 2 free games for the PS4 and the PS3.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #319 on: June 13, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
Make sure you buy the PS Plus subscription even if you don't plan to play online multiplayers. Every month the give away 2 free games for the PS4 and the PS3.

I will keep that in mind, thanks!  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: June 13, 2014, 09:14:25 AM »

Isn't that the way they offer PS3-gen games for either streaming or purchase/download?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #321 on: June 13, 2014, 09:31:41 AM »

Also keep in mind that the account also applies to PS3. So if you have both consoles, you can actually get 4 free games per month.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #322 on: June 13, 2014, 09:38:55 AM »

Also keep in mind that the account also applies to PS3. So if you have both consoles, you can actually get 4 free games per month.

What?! 4 free games a month?! Now that sounds like a steal!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #323 on: June 13, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »

Isn't that the way they offer PS3-gen games for either streaming or purchase/download?
No, no. You're thinking of Playstation Now.

With PS Plus you download those free games to your PS3/PS4 and will be yours as long as you have the subscription. It also gives you all kinds of deals on games and DLC on the PS Store.

Yes, Azyiu, it's quite a steal!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #324 on: June 13, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »
Got a PS4. Anyone who feels like playing Battlefield 4 this summer, add me: UMH1992
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #325 on: June 14, 2014, 04:02:13 AM »

Woking...  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #326 on: June 21, 2014, 11:57:17 PM »
My launch week PS3 finally gave me the yellow light of death.  I'm super depressed.  I never backed up my data, so I've lost a crap load, of which I probably only care about four games.  I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a PS4, despite the fact that the only three games I am remotely interested in haven't even been released yet, and maybe only one of them this year - or if I want to go for another PS3 with "The Last of Us" bundled, as that is one of the three PS4 games I care about.  I also heard that PS4's can not save and play movie files and music files from a USB drive.  Is this true?  Not a deal breaker, but it is nice to watch "The Drunk and on Drugs Happy Fun Time Hour" from my TV and not always at my computer.  What do you say PS4 owners?  Level with me. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #327 on: June 22, 2014, 06:24:18 AM »
I can't give too much input, as I only bought my PS4 a week ago, but visually it is definitely a stunning machine. No point in continuing on with an old system, especially if you lost so much data. I have InFamous, which was short, but really good, and am currently playing Tomb Raider which is really engaging and excellent so far.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: June 22, 2014, 08:41:05 AM »
The lack of backwards compatibility plus the complete lack of games on the PS4 that interest me have me leaning toward either getting mine fixed or getting a new PS3.  I really think I'm just going to sit out the PS4.  It didn't look THAT much better, and I don't think I'm going to miss out on much other than Elder Scrolls Online and Bloodraine.  If a few years from now things change, I'm sure the PS4 will be cheaper, and maybe they will have a new version of it (much like the fat PS3 begat the slim PS3.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: June 22, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
PS4's library is a little (okay extremely) bare right now. There's a wash of awesome new content coming around Fall of this year and a downright SURGE of excellence next year. Still holding onto my PS3 because of a bunch of games I've missed and a ton of new stuff still coming (PERSONA 5 PERSONA 5 PERSONA 5 OH FUCK HOLD ME PLEASE SWEET BABY JESUS AND THE INDIANS AHHHHHHHH).

All the PS4 remasters look pretty nice so far, but the reality is they looked just fine last-gen and they're probably way cheaper now. I'd probably hold off, in your case.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #330 on: June 22, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
PS4's library is a little (okay extremely) bare right now. There's a wash of awesome new content coming around Fall of this year

Destiny and NHL 15 are coming same day... it will control my life.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: June 22, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »
PS4's library is a little (okay extremely) bare right now. There's a wash of awesome new content coming around Fall of this year

Likewise, except MLB 14 is my crutch and it's already out so my life is already half-controlled.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: June 22, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm just going to try to extract the disc that is in my YLOD'ed machine, then sell it for a new The Last of Us bundle.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #333 on: June 22, 2014, 08:07:42 PM »

Likewise, except MLB 14 is my crutch and it's already out so my life is already half-controlled.

Assuming the game is 10x better than watching or playing the sport, I can still safely assume you keep it in your PS4 to ensure you go out and enjoy life outside of video games?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: June 23, 2014, 08:50:38 AM »
Baseball = Only good sport

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: June 23, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »
Baseball = Only good sport

... for people who only watch 1 sport.

Seriously??  Baseball is the least exciting of any sport.  There's more tension and action in Poker.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: June 23, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
Baseball is the most strategic sport out there. It's the only team sport I know of that isn't based 100% on pure physical strength. A pitcher that throws hard will do well, but it's more important to be able to locate the ball so that the opposing hitter can't hit it. Plus, the pitcher/batter mind game far outweighs any other "tension" from another sport.

If you watch a baseball game, you can't honestly tell me you don't feel any tension at all when Miguel Cabrera is up to bat with runners on second and third, two outs. He could potentially blow the game wide open with a home run, or if the pitcher outsmarts him, he could limit the damage.

Baseball fucking rules.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #337 on: June 23, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »
Baseball is the shit. It's the only game worth paying to go see IMO... Well, maybe hockey too.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: June 23, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »
I'm not saying this from an anti-baseball point of view, but football is way more strategic because it is also coordinated.

Along with what Chino said, hockey is the best sport to watch live, football has become the ultimate TV sport.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: June 23, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
Baseball is the most strategic sport out there. It's the only team sport I know of that isn't based 100% on pure physical strength. A pitcher that throws hard will do well, but it's more important to be able to locate the ball so that the opposing hitter can't hit it. Plus, the pitcher/batter mind game far outweighs any other "tension" from another sport.

Exactly my point.  I don't watch sport just for the strategy... I watch it mostly for the display of skill and am entertained by action/activity.  A little league baseball coach has to be strategic a lot more than a major league coach, but I don't see to many people watching little league games.

Baseball requires minimal exertion, and offers little in the form of action/activity.  There's more 'waiting' in baseball than there is in playing.

If you watch a baseball game, you can't honestly tell me you don't feel any tension at all when Miguel Cabrera is up to bat with runners on second and third, two outs. He could potentially blow the game wide open with a home run, or if the pitcher outsmarts him, he could limit the damage.

Even if I knew who Miguel Cabrera was, I doubt I would feel any tension.

You can't tell me that seeing Gus Hansen flop a straight when his opponent has a nut flush draw doesn't fill you with tension.  Does he continue his pre-flop betting, and put some coins in?  What if he gets re-raised?  Does he re-raise himself.  Or should he slow role him, not putting him on the flush draw. Decisions, decisions.

:lol  I'm being sarcastic of course.  A little.

Thread officially derailed.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: June 23, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
Honestly, the batter/pitcher head-games remind me a lot of poker. Hitters have to wait for a pitch they can hit, and while you can see the ball before you physically try to smack at it, a lot of pitching in the game today is based on deception. A pitcher wants every ball to look the same coming out of the glove. A lot of pitches fade away from where the hitter thinks they're going, so the batter has to recognize that and lay off the pitches since they're likely going to move out of the strike zone. On the same token, a hitter might let a fastball go by because he thought it might have been something else.

Baseball requires minimal exertion, and offers little in the form of action/activity.  There's more 'waiting' in baseball than there is in playing.
Quotes like these just make me sad. That "waiting" just makes it all the more nerve-wracking and tense. The action to me is in the lack thereof. Football and baseball games take about the same amount of time to play, but baseball keeps me more on the edge of my seat. Why? Mainly because in Football you're limited in time, so once a team has achieved enough of a lead the other team is basically fucked. In baseball, I've seen numerous comebacks of 8 runs or more in the final inning of play, and that shit is downright incredible. A baseball game is never over until the last out is made, and there's something terrifying about that. You can never truly be comfortable, because even the best pitchers and hitters can still make mistakes.

Okay I should probably just stop. I could argue this all day, but this is neither the time nor the thread.

PS4 is awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: June 23, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »
Yeah we probably could argue the merits, but this aint the thread, and I don't peruse the baseball thread as you know.  Back on topic

PS4... could be a xmas gift for me and jingle.son  I still have some PS3 games to start/finish, so when the library is interesting enough, then we'll make the plunge.  There's enough on the horizon as I've already mentioned that has me ready and willing.  I doubt I'll buy another PS3 game.  The next purchase will likely be on the PS4 format.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #342 on: June 23, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »
Just my two cents, but people who don't like baseball are literally Hitler. kthansbye

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #343 on: June 23, 2014, 03:18:36 PM »
People often say that watching baseball is like watching a chess match. That's fine and dandy, but I'd find 10x more enjoyment watching a chess match. To say that baseball is more strategic than most other sports is rather dumb, imo. It's simply so drawn out and boring the strategy walks up and punches you in the face because there isn't much else to do. In Basketball, Football, Hockey, and really any other major team sport the strategy is there, but the strategic decisions are often made on instinct or in seconds.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #344 on: June 23, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »
No clue how people can say baseball is boring I'd rather watch Baseball than Hockey and most Football games.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #345 on: June 23, 2014, 07:52:20 PM »
The Official Playstation 4 Thread

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #346 on: June 23, 2014, 07:56:33 PM »
You're right, I've done a terrible thing here.

On topic, I can't imagine why anyone would play MLB games when there are NHL, NFL, NBA, and FIFA games out there. :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: June 23, 2014, 08:34:36 PM »
I used to play baseball games, but I hated the idea of simulating most of the season. I didn't want to play 162 games myself and I did want to play multiple seasons. In general though I slowly faded out playing sport games.  Just not something I'm interested in anymore except the occasional friendly game against a friend in like Madden if NHL.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #348 on: June 23, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
I really, really don't like sports video games.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #349 on: June 23, 2014, 09:15:59 PM »
Amen to that, man. But I don't like sports in general, so that probably contributes to it for me.