Author Topic: Death Cab For Cutie (new album out in 2022 + tour ongoing!)  (Read 13842 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Death Cab For Cutie
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »
Well, in anticipation for the new album, I finally decided to complete the rest of my collection and bought SAA and WHTFAWVY, so now I have all the other studio albums. Might do a little chronological marathon now that I can.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline 425

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2015, 04:19:01 PM »
First single, "Black Sun," came out a few days ago: https://youtu.be/46bIJJX_xzE.

Interesting song. Doesn't seem as anthemic as their lead singles in the past (You Are a Tourist, I Will Possess Your Heart, Soul Meets Body). It seems like a bit of a return to the melancholic Gibbard while continuing with the electronic influence of Codes and Keys, which is pretty much what I had already expected of this album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »
Sounds pretty good.

My brother and I got tickets yesterday to see then in May. They will be here the day before Rush, so I will be seeing Death Cab and Rush back-to-back. :coolio

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2015, 10:43:25 PM »
I quite like it. Really moody and head-boppy. I don't know if that's a term. I don't care.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2015, 04:47:29 PM »
Just got around to listening to the new album.

It's not particularly unexpected, but I'm fine with that. Very pleasant stuff, methinks. I'll need several more listens
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »
Finally got the new album. After two listens, sounds good.  Time will tell how good. :biggrin:

Offline 425

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2015, 07:40:43 PM »
I have the new album, but I have shamefully not listened to it yet, because I am obsessing over Nightwish (whose new album came out the same day). I need to get around to it... I knew that whichever album I didn't choose to listen to on the 31st would go a little while untouched, unfortunately. Soon, though. :soon:
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Mladen

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2015, 08:57:43 AM »
I've been getting into these guys since February. Their stuff is enjoyable, but not a single album really floored me. If I had to pick a favorite, though, it would easily be The Photo album, with their debut actually being behind it. I also enjoy Codes and keys quite a bit.

I'll be spinning the new album this week, looking forward to it very much.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »
Well, their music really isn't of the "it floored me" variety; it's just consistently really good, catchy stuff.   :coolio

Offline Mladen

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2015, 03:24:37 AM »
Yeah, but you know when the stuff is so catchy it floors you?  :lol

Liking the new album so far. The Ghost of Beverly Drive, Good help (is so hard to find) and Little wanderer are pretty sweet. I also think it's very cohesive stylistically, there's not as much diversity as on the previous three albums. Not that it's a bad thing, though, it's makes it kinda conceptual.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2015, 05:27:24 PM »
Yeah, but you know when the stuff is so catchy it floors you?  :lol

Haha, true.  And now that I think about it, I was pretty floored by You Are a Tourist the first time I heard it.

Liking the new album so far. The Ghost of Beverly Drive, Good help (is so hard to find) and Little wanderer are pretty sweet. I also think it's very cohesive stylistically, there's not as much diversity as on the previous three albums. Not that it's a bad thing, though, it's makes it kinda conceptual.

I can see that.  I am really liking it so far. I am basically leaving it on in my car, so when I go anywhere this week, I am listening to it. :hat

Offline 425

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2015, 03:20:53 PM »
Just listened for the first time. From just one listen, I thought it was really quite good! Good Help (Is Hard to Find) definitely stood out to me, as did The Ghosts of Beverly Drive and Everything's a Ceiling. The album is nothing groundbreaking, of course, but I don't really expect groundbreaking from Death Cab, I expect consistent and quality pop-rock music, which is what this album is.

One particular thing I noticed is that I think Ben's singing is continuing to improve. He hasn't lost the noticeable quality that his voice has, but I think on this album especially he's gotten better at matching his voice to the mood of the song. Not that he was ever bad at it, just that he's gotten better at it on this album.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2015, 03:33:18 PM »
Yep, this is sounding like another major winner from these guys.  I've had it on non-stop and am loving all of it.  And I am seeing them in 26 days (one day before I see Rush)! :tup :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2015, 03:41:59 PM »
That's a good couple of days! You've seen them before, right? How would you grade them, live?

I'm considering getting tickets to see them this September. Really enjoying this album so far.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2015, 03:56:36 PM »
They were really good the one time I saw them.  They don't do anything crazy with the stage or light shows, but they just do a great job of performing their tunes.  My review of the show we saw in 2011 is still in this thread. :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »
Death Cab was great last night, as expected.  Ben Gibbard had a tough of energy for a guy who was so sick last week that they had to cancel two shows.  They played a lot of the new albums - seven songs - although Everything's a Ceiling was not one of them.  They played five songs from Plans, three from Transatlanticism, Codes and Keys and Narrow Stairs, and even one from the first album.  Fun show! :coolio

Offline 425

« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2015, 11:17:31 AM »
Five songs from Plans? That's spectacular; it's my favorite DCFC album. Overall, sounds pretty awesome!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2015, 11:21:38 AM »
I Will Follow You Into the Dark (which was so great; the entire crowd sang along)
What Sarah Said
Crooked Teeth
Soul Meets Body
Marching Bands of Manhattan

Those were the Plans tunes.

Offline 425

« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2015, 11:33:49 AM »
Those are about the ones I would expect, but good choices for sure. Marching Bands and What Sarah Said are both amazing songs. And I'm sure I Will Follow You Into the Dark was great with the crowd involvement!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2015, 11:38:15 AM »
Oh, it was!  It's kind of a bummer that they never played Brothers in a Hotel Bed, but oh well.  I am very high on Different Names for the Same Thing, but again, I would never expect them to play that.

Nothing from The Photo Album this time.  Why You'd Want to Live Here has been getting played so far this year, but I guess last night was it's night off.

We also got No Sunlight instead of Grapevine Fires as the 3rd song from Narrow Stairs (along with ...Cath and I Will Possess...), which surprised me.

Offline 425

« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2015, 12:07:18 PM »
My favorite song on Plans is actually Your Heart Is an Empty Room, though Brothers On a Hotel Bed is also right up there. Seems strange to me that they'd skip The Photo Album entirely, though, for that show. I always got the impression that it was the third most popular one behind Transatlanticism and Plans.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
I can't even tell anymore.  I know that Plans and Transatlanticism are the two most popular, but I have no idea how the rest rank. I know the early indie fans probably prefer the earlier albums, while the fans that came later, because of their catchy hits, probably prefer the last few over those early ones.  Me, I love their newer, catchy stuff, but it is hard to beat The Photo Album, Plans and Transatlanticism.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2015, 01:32:25 AM »
I just took a look at the set list, it's really cool. President of what is such a surprise, that's one hell of a song. As far as the new songs go, it's weird they didn't play Good help, I can easily picture the crowd getting into that one.

And Crooked teeth - such a fantastic track, I'd love to see that one live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2016, 05:16:09 PM »
Bumped for SebastianPratesi. :coolio

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Bumped for SebastianPratesi. :coolio
Thanks! Will read it. Should be interesting and informative.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2016, 06:52:13 PM »
Death Cab will be on Late Night With Colbert tonight. Set your DVRs!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2016, 08:19:48 AM »
Great new song by Death Cab, which is obviously about Trump:

https://youtu.be/XE0nOfTA3pY

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Death Cab For Cutie (new anti-Trump song in Oct '16)
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2016, 09:05:30 AM »
Not a bad song. I would have liked it better though if it wasn't so on the nose.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Death Cab For Cutie (new anti-Trump song in Oct '16)
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2018, 09:16:36 AM »
Anyone else digging Thank You for Today, their newest album that came out back in August? 

I gave it a few cursory listens at first and liked it, but put it away. I've come back to it recently and am really like it now.  This band is so consistent. :coolio

Offline Mladen

Re: Death Cab For Cutie (new studio album in 2018)
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »
I thought it was very solid. It's a pleasant listen all the way through, there isn't a single song that I skip. As much as I liked Kintsugi, I think this one might be better than their last few albums. Northern light, Summer years, 60 & Punk and Autumn love are my favorite tunes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »
Those are some of my favorites as well, especially Northern Lights and 60 & Punk.

Death Cab is one of those bands where it gets increasingly difficult to pick favorites.  I like the last three albums all a lot, but I have no idea which of them I prefer.  I did see where Ben Gibbard said a while back that he isn't fond of Codes and Keys anymore, but artists always have their own reasons for how much they like or dislike their own work.  I can listen to almost all of their albums from start to finish and rarely hit skip, except for Narrow Stairs, which is pretty inconsistent.

Online DTA

« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
Nothing will top the trinity of Facts, Photo, and Trans for me. They captured such a vibe on those records that hasn't quite been there since. I really liked Kintsugi quite a bit. It's easily my favorite since Transatlanticism. The new one is good, but it didn't have much staying power after the first few weeks. I felt like I heard it all before and while nothing is remotely bad, it's the first time it sounded like a band just going through the motions. Your Hurricane and Northern Lights are my favorites.

Narrow Stairs has a few throwaway tracks like Talking Bird, You Can Do Better, and Pity And Fear, and I wasn't a fan of the singles either (Possess and Grapevine Fires which is their most overrated song by far IMO) so I rank that one at the bottom. I think I'm the only one who loves Your New Twin Sized Bed and Bixby Canyon Bridge is an incredible song too. I liked Codes And Keys quite a bit, so it sucks that Ben is not a fan. They have a strong discography overall, but I think they've taken this mellow/semi-electronic style they've been doing for the past few albums to its furthest point and they need to reinvent themselves a bit on the next one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2018, 08:43:01 PM »
While I enjoy the new album a lot, I kind of know what you mean.  It is stylistically similar to the several albums prior, and I agree that it would be cool to see them change things up a bit on the next one, but I won't be displeased if they do not since they do this style pretty darn well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2022, 05:35:47 PM »
New album coming in September, with a US tour this fall as well. And they are coming to STL!  I am so there for that.  Love this band.  :coolio :coolio