Author Topic: Longest DT show ever?  (Read 8552 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Longest DT show ever?
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:13:28 AM »
I was just wondering which show has been the longest one in the DT history... I found the setlist for the second night in New York in March 2002, and they played both the title-"track" of Six Degrees and Master of Puppets in full there: https://mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=628
Finally Free outro (intro tape)
1.  The Glass Prison
2.  Strange Deja Vu
3.  Through My Words
4.  Fatal Tragedy
5.  Burning My Soul (original 96 version)
6.  Another Hand/
7.  The Killing Hand
8.  Misunderstood
9.  Lie
10.  The Spirit Carries On
11.  Take The Time (w/ excerpts of Working Man (Rush) and By-Tor and the Snowdog (Rush))
~~~intermission~~~
12.  Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence:
I Overture (orchestra-only intro tape)
13.  II About to Crash
14.  III War Inside My Head
15.  IV The Test That Stumped Them All
16.  V Goodnight Kiss
17.  VI Solitary Shell
18.  VII About to Crash (reprise)
19.  VIII Losing Time/Grand Finale
Pull Me Under (fake intro tape)
20.  Battery (Metallica)
21.  Master of Puppets (Metallica)
22.  The Thing That Should Not Be (Metallica)
23.  Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (Metallica)
24.  Disposable Heroes (Metallica)
25.  Leper Messiah (Metallica)
26.  Orion (Metallica)
27.  Damage, Inc. (Metallica)
~~~encore~~~
28.  Home
29.  Pull Me Under (warped version)

But was some gig even longer?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Longest DT show ever?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »
Well it would have to be between either the cover shows like that, or maybe the LSFNY show, right?

I'm sure we have plenty of people here who would have the info to answer this definitively!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »
I think that is the longest.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »
I am pretty sure it was the Roseland show. 

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 02:42:37 PM »
No, the 2002-03-28 show was the longest. The LSFNY show is about 30 minutes shorter.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:04:28 PM »
I remember some time ago Wasteland posted a show in Paris from 2004 that he said was the longest DT show ever. I don't remember the date.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »
I remember some time ago Wasteland posted a show in Paris from 2004 that he said was the longest DT show ever. I don't remember the date.

I was about to post that! The date is 29.01.2004, they played a double encore with Heart Of Sunrise and ACOS. It's one of the bootleg I'm most often asked to share :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
Really? Looking at the setlist on the tourography it looks long but not as long as the 2002-03-28 show. How close are they?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »
Really? Looking at the setlist on the tourography it looks long but not as long as the 2002-03-28 show. How close are they?

I seem to remember specifically checking the lenght of both bootlegs to make a comparison, and they were REALLY close. IIRC Paris was something like 3 hours 34 minutes...
- Marco

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »

I seem to remember specifically checking the lenght of both bootlegs to make a comparison, and they were REALLY close. IIRC Paris was something like 3 hours 34 minutes...

I remember it being fairly close to 4 hours, I think it was 3 hours and 43 minutes, assuming I'm correct and you just swapped the digits in your memory :P

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 12:53:25 AM »
I counted the song lengths of the studio versions together, and when you take the extensions like the drum solo in CIAW into account, the Paris show from 2004 is the longest indeed.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 01:35:37 AM »

I remember it being fairly close to 4 hours, I think it was 3 hours and 43 minutes, assuming I'm correct and you just swapped the digits in your memory :P

This is very likely. I had indeed 3.43 in mind, but it just seemed too much and, afraid of having swapped the digits in my memory, swapped thrm again and posted them...
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 01:39:10 AM »
^I would've been dead by the end of the show if I had been one of the DT guys! :lol It's unbelievable how they could play such technical music for so long. Maybe those who say they play like machines aren't completely off after all... ;D

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 01:40:53 AM »
^I would've been dead by the end of the show if I had been one of the DT guys! :lol It's unbelievable how they could play such technical music for so long.

As soon as I turn on the PC (and finally leave this damned iPad) I will provide some more accurate data. I think the roseland and the Paris gig should be considered too, they were both above 3h!
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 11:07:35 AM »
It's amazing to have such long shows, but when I think a little about it; it puts a lot of strain in JLB's voice. The man singing with raw intensity for 4 hours straight? No wonder he had some problems live...something that maybe MP didn't think through a lot.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »
It's amazing to have such long shows, but when I think a little about it; it puts a lot of strain in JLB's voice. The man singing with raw intensity for 4 hours straight? No wonder he had some problems live...something that maybe MP didn't think through a lot.

Yeah, 4 hours can be extremely demanding for James, but with some careful planning, like days off before and after the show and a deliberate disposition of instrumentals and easy songs in the setlist, I think that one or two 3,5h shows each leg can be attained with little damange.
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
Funny how this thread got bumped now - I just watched the "Portnoy & Åkerfeldt" clips from the spring of 2008 and in one of them MP said that they had just played "an evening with DT" sets in Australia, because they had never been there before, but after the shows they were really exhausted and thinking like "how the hell could we play such long sets for 5 years?" I bet we all would love to get as much music as possible, but maybe it's better for them not to play such insanely long concerts like the ones mentioned in this thread.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »
Funny how this thread got bumped now - I just watched the "Portnoy & Åkerfeldt" clips from the spring of 2008 and in one of them MP said that they had just played "an evening with DT" sets in Australia, because they had never been there before, but after the shows they were really exhausted and thinking like "how the hell could we play such long sets for 5 years?" I bet we all would love to get as much music as possible, but maybe it's better for them not to play such insanely long concerts like the ones mentioned in this thread.

It's also funny that you mentioned the evening australian shows of 2008, because I just downloaded one, making an exception to my self imposed rule never to download a CiM bootleg unless it's video or features LTL.
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »
It's also funny that you mentioned the evening australian shows of 2008, because I just downloaded one, making an exception to my self imposed rule never to download a CiM bootleg unless it's video or features LTL.
Too many coincidences :eek

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »
That's also funny of you to mention that, as I was thinking exactly the same thing! :D
- Marco

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »
It's funny too because didn't they mention that they are thinking of going back to the Evening With format?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
It's funny too because didn't they mention that they are thinking of going back to the Evening With format?

If they do, I doubt they will do 3.5h concerts, maybe 3h at the most. Similar to the shows they did on the SA tour last year which were the longest shows of the tour.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
That's also funny of you to mention that, as I was thinking exactly the same thing! :D
:dangerwillrobinson:
I think it's posssible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.. In a Finnish interview last year JP said that people always started to look tired towards the end of the show when they played double sets and that the format worked the best when they played some album in full. He said that a return to the "evening with" format isn't impossible, but right now they enjoy playing shorter shows. However, now that they have the WWRD mindset and Mangini is more familiar with the back catalog, maybe they could reconsider it? :caffeine:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 01:51:53 AM »

That's what she said.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 04:07:08 AM »
Oh floydie... :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »

I would love to be banned.

And yet, you can still type.  Amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC