Author Topic: Onno's Roulette v. THE END  (Read 45781 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Onno's Roulette v. Round 1 Results! Yay!
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2013, 08:05:51 AM »
Is it tomorrow yet?

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2013, 09:39:56 AM »
Yep, it's already late afternoon! I'm judging :)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
I trust you'll judge me fairly even though you aren't the biggest fan of Bay City Rollers?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Onno

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »
I trust you'll judge me fairly even though you aren't the biggest fan of Bay City Rollers?
No, I hate those guys and you will burn for sending me a song by them.

Offline Onno

Re: Onno's Roulette v. Round 2 Results are up
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2013, 03:13:39 PM »
ROUND 2 RESULTS

More high scores! And congratulations to lonestar and Scorpion for having the same score once again  :lol

Dr. DTVT: Solution .45 – Gravitational Lensing

Well, what have we here? The singer is great and has a really versatile voice. Especially the chorus is great, nice and catchy. But I can’t say I really love the riffs. There isn’t enough melody IMO, except for the intro and outro. Some parts are cool but mostly I think it’s a bit dull. The guitar solo is cool though, as is the drumming. The mix is ok. The keyboards in the last part of the song are awesome, but they should’ve been higher in the mix and they would’ve really made that last part more awesome. The last 2 minutes of the song are way better than the first 3 anyway. Overall it’s a cool song, but for it’s nothing more than that. Highest score last round; lowest score this round, sorry  :biggrin:

7.2/10

Scorpion: Luna Mortis – Ash

More melodeath! And female-fronted too. The vocals are ok, though I hate the double tracking (or whatever it’s called) which is especially obvious in the first clean bits. The harsh vocals are better, and later on in the song, there isn’t as much double-tracking. The guitar solo is absolutely fantastic and the riffs are cool. It’s a pretty cool song.

7.6/10

lonestar: Yes – Siberian Khatru

The first time I listened to this song, I didn’t really like it. Fortunately, it got better with each listen. There are some really cool parts in it, like the whole part from about 3:00 till about 4:10. I don’t really like Jon Anderson’s vocals that much though. At some parts in the song they’re really fitting, but at other times I don’t like them. Overall, it’s a cool song, but not that fantastic.

7.6/10

Elite: King Crimson – Epitaph

Cool song, though I think it’s really a grower and I need to listen to it more often and give it some time. Anyway, for the judging I listen to each song equally many times, so I don’t really have that time :lol . It’s a great song with pretty cool instrumentals, and it’s really quite proggy as well.

8.0/10

crazyaga: A Winged Victory For The Sullen – We Played Some Open Chords And Rejoiced....

Really beautiful piece of music. A tiny bit too ambient for me, but nevertheless really beautiful.

8.3/10

MoraWintersoul: Insomnium – Weather The Storm

Wow, this song is really melodic! I like that. The lyrics are epic and the singer is great. The riffs are really great! Too bad the mix is pretty bad IMO; the vocals are low at times, the bass is almost inaudible and the overall mix because really compressed and distorted sometimes, a bit like Metallica’s Death Magnetic.  Overall it’s a great song; the best melodeath song so far in this roulette.

8.4/10

Lolzeez: Frank Zappa – Willie the Pimp

Holy shit. The lyrics are brilliant :lol .  The singer sounds a bit weird but it really fits the song. What struck me as quite funny was the fact that it’s a 9 minute song, but that there are only vocals in the first ~2 minutes. So as I said, the lyrics are brilliant and the vocals fit the song; together, that means the first 2 minutes are great. The remaining 7 minutes are awesome! It’s just great huge instrumental section which doesn’t bore me even after repeated listens of the song. This is fantastic.

8.8/10

black_floyd: Rush – Natural Science

You know, there was a reason Rush wasn’t on my list. I’ve listened to them a few times, but I didn’t really like Geddy’s vocals at the time. But in this song, his vocals are ok, and the rest of the song is just great. Neil Peart is a bloody hero; not only is his drumming really awesome, but the lyrics are brilliant as well. I can relate to them a bit as well (I’m studying Earth Sciences). It’s another fantastic song.

9.0/10

Nihil-Morari: Joost Niekus (aka Nihil-Morari) – Be Good

And you composed this? It’s amazing, simply amazing. I love it. To quote myself:
One thing that made it extra special for me was the piano; I’m planning to start playing piano in the near future, and this song makes me want to start playing even more.

9.5/10

Big Hath: Dave Weckl – Like That

Holy shit. This is just perfect.

9.7/10

Standings!
Big Hath: 17.7
black_floyd: 17.4
Lolzeez: 17.2
Nihil-Morari: 17.0
Dr. DTVT: 16.7
lonestar: 16.6
Scorpion: 16.6
Elite: 16.5
MoraWintersoul: 16.3
Crazyaga: 15.6

FORBIDDEN LIST UPDATE
Added:

A Winged Victory For The Sullen
Dave Weckl
Frank Zappa
Insomnium
King Crimson
Rush

I once again determined the theme for the next round randomly! *drumroll*

ROUND 3: METAL UP YOUR ASS!
That's right. Send me anything that I can headbang to. This obviously includes things like a bluegrass-deathcore cover of the Spongebob theme song, or a Khazakh folk cover version of Year of the Cadavar Race by Bloodbath.

You have until Wednesday, 23:00 CET.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:28:15 PM by Onno »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »
Ooooooh metal *rubs hands in glee*

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »
Lol im still last >.<
I love beautiful things.

Offline Onno

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »
Lol im still last >.<
Yep, but you sent a great song this time! And your average is an 7.8 now; even though you're currently last, that doesn't mean you're not sending me songs I like :)

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
If someone sent me a song they wrote, I'd give it a zero just on the principle that they were putting me on the spot and daring me to slag them publicly.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2013, 04:51:17 PM »
sent ~
I love beautiful things.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
However you rank this song, you cannot complain it isn't metal enough, because it's the lead of heavy metal.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »
Scent
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »
Damn. I really wanna send this 40 minute song/album.  :rollin

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »
awesome!  Glad you liked that one.  The whole album is full of stuff like that - great melodic hooks that bubble up from the improvisations that are featured during most of the songs.

round 3 sent
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2013, 12:03:53 AM »
Yo dawg,sent....

Offline Ruba

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29:13 AM »
Natural Science!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2013, 01:09:33 AM »
If someone sent me a song they wrote, I'd give it a zero just on the principle that they were putting me on the spot and daring me to slag them publicly.

I thought it would fit perfectly in what he asked. Better than anything I know, so I sent some of my own work. And believe me, I've had some rough words on my songs before, so that would've been all good. It's not a competition of sending the best song, but sending a song you think someone would like.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2013, 04:06:19 AM »
Sent!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2013, 04:08:26 AM »
Oh right, sent. It's gonna skullfuck you, then come back for seconds.

Twice.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »
I too would fancy one skull fucking please.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
No problem baby. :eyebrows: PM me your address and it'll be at your place in no time.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »
Just follow the trail of people openly complaining about sore urethras :tup

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
I'm fucking with you Nihil.  I haven't heard it so I have no idea how it is.  I've used DTF members band's songs before.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »
Envoyé.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2013, 05:05:10 AM »
I'm fucking with you Nihil.  I haven't heard it so I have no idea how it is.  I've used DTF members band's songs before.

:)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
Sent you a Green Day song.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Onno

« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »
Sent you a Green Day song.
Well, at least you're not an American Idiot  :biggrin:
Anyway, received everything. Will judge tomorrow.

Offline Onno

Re: Onno's Roulette v. Round 3 RESUUUUUUUUUUULTS
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2013, 06:49:56 AM »
ROUND 3 RESULTS

lonestar: Kill Ritual – The Serpentine Ritual

Thrash metal. That can either go very wrong or it can go really well. Why? Well, I used to listen to thrash quite a lot some years ago. This resulted in a very specific taste for thrash metal; if it’s too standard, I will really dislike the song. On the other hand, if the song is not that standard and the quality is good, I tend to love it.
Well, to cut a long story short: I didn’t like it. The riffs are nothing special. The same goes for the singer. The mix is good, though the instruments (especially the drums) sound a bit compressed. Anyway, the drums are again good but nothing special. The song itself isn’t necessarily a rip-off of old thrash, but it’s nothing new either and it’s really forgettable. Sorry man, I just don’t like it.

6.7/10

Elite: Pantera - Suicide Note Part II
Well, this is interesting. I’ve heard some Pantera before, but I guess it was not enough to spark my interest. And now you’ve sent me this song, which you only listen to when you’re really pissed off. Well, I can hear that. The main guitar riff is really fast and angry but still is boring IMO. The riffs in the chorus are a bit better, and the riffs in the breakdown and the last part of the song are a bit better as well. The guitar solo is cool though. The drumming is nice and aggressive but nothing more than that. I don’t like the vocals really, they’re a bit overdone IMO. I’ll have to admit, this is a really aggressive song and I can bang my head to it. I can understand that it’s really a good song to let all the anger out when you’re really pissed off. But I already have better songs for that sadly  It got better after a few listens, but it’s still not mind-blowing.

7.0/10

MoraWintersoul: Outworld – War Cry

This song is pretty cool. The vocals are great, and most of the riffs are. But the song gets slightly dull after repeated listens. It should have been shorter IMO. I don’t really like the mix either; my usual complaints (bass & keyboards are too low in the mix) apply here :P The chorus is great and the guitar solo is ok, but as I said, the song drags a bit. Overall, it’s an okay song but that’s all.

7.2/10

Lolzeez: Symphony X – Church of the Machine

I have listened to Symphony X before, but I didn’t put them on my Forbidden list, for I thought they were really repetitive. The only albums I’ve heard were (I think) Paradise Lost, Divine Winds of Tragedy and The Odyssey. This song sounded familiar though, so I might have heard Twilight in Olympus once or twice too. Anyway, I didn’t really love the song. I like Russel Allen’s vocals, they’re really good. The guitar riffs were pretty good too but they got boring after a few listens. The choir-like choruses are ok, but nothing fantastic. The keyboards were really nice though, and really created atmosphere. Most parts of the song were cool, but it all went on for too long, and I didn’t like the choruses. The instrumental parts and solos were cool but that’s all I guess. I guess I just don’t really like Symphony X; I thought they were too repetitive and this song didn’t change my mind.

7.4/10

Nihil-Morari: Meshuggah – Demiurge

Ah. Meshuggah. I should’ve expected them. Many people seem to like them a lot nowadays. I’ve only heard a few songs by them, and they didn’t really spark my interest. Moreover, I even saw these guys perform live about two months ago at a festival that Elite and I were attending. I didn’t really like them there either; they were very repetitive. And now you have forced me to listen a bit better. Well, then I guess that’s what I’m going to do.
First of all, I should say that the quality of this music is high. I saw these guys perform live and it was tight as hell. Each of the musicians in this band is good. And with each listen, this song sounded a little better to me. The vocals are ok, though nothing special. The riffs are okay; my main problem with them was that they were really repetitive. There were definitely some cool bits, but overall it sounded very much the same. The drums are fitting. I love the mix; everything is clear, even the bass guitar. The lyrics are great. Overall, it’s a cool song, though really repetitive. Only at 3:30, it sounded like things were going in a different direction, but it turned out that they just went back to some more riffs.

7.6/10

Big Hath: Bruce Dickinson – Book of Thel

I’ve never heard any solo work of Bruce before, so I’m really curious. I like Iron Maiden and I love Bruce’s vocals, so this should be good. Anyway, the first few minutes of the song remind me of Iron Maiden a bit; not only Bruce’s vocals, but also the riffs, which seemed plausible since Adrian Smith played guitar on this album. But after about 3:30, the song begins to develop a sound that is a bit different, and that doesn’t remind me of Iron Maiden too much (though the guitar solo still did). This song is just really good. I don’t have anything else to say :lol

8.0/10

black_floyd: Death – Without Judgement

I am writing this now while I haven’t heard even a single second yet of the song you sent me. Why? Because I wanted to say this: you have unconsciously taken a risk by sending me this song. Why? Because I tend to dislike early death metal vocals even more than I dislike black metal vocals. I have heard a song by Death before, and I know they’re supposed to have written some amazing music, but I didn’t like the vocals last time. So here I am now, listening to Death again.
Well, as I expected, I didn’t like the vocals. But I didn’t dislike them nearly as much as I did before. Moreover, everything else was great. The riffs, the drums, the lyrics, the mixing, everything. Just a great song. I especially liked the fast bits before and during the choruses.

8.1/10

Dr. DTVT: Enslaved – Clouds

Ok, this song starts out pretty non-metal IMO. Fortunately, it becomes a bit heavier later on; otherwise it wouldn’t have fulfilled the round theme. Anyway, really interesting song. More black metal vocals, so you took a risk again. Still, I seem to mind them less and less. The clean vocals aren’t that great though.  The section from 4:00 or so really reminded me of Crack the Skye (the album) by Mastodon. That’s a good thing, since that is one of my favourite albums of all time. Overall, it’s a great song, and I’ll definitely be listening to these guys some more.

8.1/10

Scorpion: Strapping Young Lad – We Ride

I’ve been wanting to check these guys out for a while, since Devin was in them. So I guess this is the perfect opportunity! When the song started, I immediately came to the conclusion that this song was not about subtlety, which is good (well, at least for this round). Devin’s vocals are awesome as always, and the lyrics are good (WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY FACE? :lol ). This song is tight as hell and it did make me want to bang my head! It’s aggressive, tight and even though it’s a bit repetitive, its short length keeps it from being boring and makes it a very enjoyable song.

8.4/10

crazyaga: Dog Fashion Disco – The Sacrifice of Miss Rose Covington

“THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS YOU!” Wow, this is fantastic. Really nice avant-garde metal that I can easily bang my head to. Just amazing.

9.3/10

Standings!

Big Hath: 25.7
black_floyd: 25.5
Scorpion: 25.0
crazyaga: 24.9
Dr. DTVT: 24.8
Lolzeez: 24.6
Nihil-Morari: 24.6
MoraWintersoul: 23.5
Elite: 23.5
lonestar: 23.3

FORBIDDEN LIST UPDATE
Added:

Bruce Dickinson
Death
Dog Fashion Disco
Enslaved
Meshuggah
Strapping Young Lad

Next round....
ROUND 4: BICYCLE SHOESTRINGS!
Title says it all. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the random chaos round! Refer to Rule #7 of the Rules for more information! I tend to be chaotic and random as a person quite often, so I made a round theme which incorporated that! This round you are to send me music of a random or chaotic nature. By this I mean for example avant-garde metal (i.e. Leprous), songs that have both chaos and randomness in music and lyrics (i.e. System of a Down) or just music with random lyrics and strange instrumental shit. I don't really care; chaos and randomness have quite broad definitions, so surprise me and you'll get points! You have until this Sunday, 22:00 (10 PM) CET.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:45:49 AM by Onno »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Onno's Roulette v. Round 3 RESUUUUUUUULTS
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2013, 07:03:04 AM »
Yeah, sorry about that; if I had access to my library, I would have performed a bit better. I'm one of the godforsaken METHUUUL kids after all :lol

This round will require some meditation.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Onno

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:12 AM »
Yeah, sorry about that; if I had access to my library, I would have performed a bit better. I'm one of the godforsaken METHUUUL kids after all :lol

This round will require some meditation.
No problem :P There might be another open round later on, which might even have a bonus feature that will allow you to get some points for metal...

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »
OMG I just got bumped from the last place to the 4th place :O HELL YEA.
And btw, you should fix "ROUND 3: BICYCLE SHOESTRINGS!" to  "ROUND 4: BICYCLE SHOESTRINGS!"
I love beautiful things.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2013, 07:24:54 AM »
I knew it :lol

This is gonna be my round, except that Joost is playing too.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Onno

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
I knew it :lol

This is gonna be my round, except that Joost is playing too.
I have high expectations of you! :)

And btw, you should fix "ROUND 3: BICYCLE SHOESTRINGS!" to  "ROUND 4: BICYCLE SHOESTRINGS!"

Fixed, thanks :P

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2013, 07:57:32 AM »
1. Fuck yeah Strapping! Alien (the album from which We Ride is) is definitely their best album, you should check it out.
2. Best round name ever. :lol
3. Sent.

Offline Onno

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2013, 08:02:21 AM »
1. Fuck yeah Strapping! Alien (the album from which We Ride is) is definitely their best album, you should check it out.
2. Best round name ever. :lol
3. Sent.
1. Will do! :D
2.  :biggrin: that's why I love SoaD so much  :metal
3. Got it, really curious now! ;)