Author Topic: Let's listen to some classical music together  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Ħ

Let's listen to some classical music together
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »

Grab yourself a nice cup of coffee, pour a glass of wine, cut yourself up a nice cheese platter, and enjoy some nice relaxing classical music, right here in this thread.
 :hat

W. A. Mozart - Eine kleine Nachtmusik, K. 525
One of Mozart's most well-known pieces. "A little night music" that captures Mozart's beautiful character and charm. I love how whimsically he moves you through the different themes, with all his trademark little trills decorated on top....Plus, this piece reminds me of The Wind Waker. :biggrin: 

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:46:03 AM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Let's listen to some classical music together
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:32:42 AM »
I've only been listening to classical music for about a year now, and I haven't heard much Mozart, but I have heard Eine kleine Nachtmusik. Very beautiful piece.

Offline jsem

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:43:20 AM »
Mozart's 29th Symhpony FTW.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:07:05 AM »
Oh, yes, I'm definitely in :) Are we going to take turns giving recommendations on what to listen or something? I have quite some classical stuff in my library and I'm more than willing to share and listen to stuff together.

Eine Kleine Nachtmusik is great, by the way.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 04:22:18 AM »
I'm no expert but I do have some classical in my collection.
Mozart is always a good listen. I've used it in my work to attempt the "Mozart effect" where it's supposed to calm the brain. Not convinced of the effect tbh but the patients I've used it with have always been the most disturbed and maybe they were beyond the effect working.

In my top 50 that's going on at the moment (shameless plug ;)) I have featured the Paganini Concertos amongst the Hard Rock and Metal.

Nachtmusic is a great piece, even beyond the bit that everyone knows. Mozart certainly knew how to write enchanting melodies.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 04:57:38 AM »
I'm not that fond of Mozart. Actually not at all. Musical painting by numbers, most of the time, imo. Although I must admit that parts of his Jupiter Symphony have struck me as surprisingly romantic, and quite enjoyable.

Although, listening to the piece now, and even that one gives me shivers.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 05:32:29 AM »
Zipping wine and eat mouldy cheese works great with:

Beethoven - Symphony no 6 - first mov.
or
any piano music by Bach like The English Suites in A minor (If you want a challenge try find Safri Duos versions on English and French suites on marimba)

but let's put the wig and gayness aside for a sec. and bring on the russian fury:

Dmitri Shostakovich - Symphony No. 11 (Skip to The 9th of January if you want action)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 05:55:59 AM »
Awesome idea for a thread, I've been wanting to get into classical for a while but have no idea where to start. I'll have to check some of this stuff out tonight.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 08:02:33 AM »
Great piece, and probably one of the most well-known pieces of classical music there are. None of my friends are into classical music at all, but none of them don't know this one. You'd probably be hard-pressed to find a German that doesn't know it, tbh.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »
Oh, yes, I'm definitely in :) Are we going to take turns giving recommendations on what to listen or something? I have quite some classical stuff in my library and I'm more than willing to share and listen to stuff together.
I have some songs lined up already, but I'd be happy to pass it off when I'm done.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
Three sonatas for you:

1. Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, op. 67, Movt. I

Probably the most well known piece in classical music. If you just know the intro, listen to it in full! It's quite a ride. Oh, one thing, I always get caught off guard by that little oboe moment in the recapitulation.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 09:43:20 AM »
2. W. A. Mozart - Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, K. 550, movt. I

Back to Mozart again. This is the second-to-last of his symphonies. Not quite my favorite Mozart piece, but it's up there. You've got to love how that man can just build off of one theme, and twist it from being graceful and gentle to terrifyingly mad.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 10:10:58 AM »
3. P. I. Tchaikovsky - Romeo & Juliet

Okay, maybe this is a very loose sonata. Regardless, this is one of the most moving Romantic pieces I know. IMO, it's up there with the greats. It might be long, but you want to hear this piece in full.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »
Dvorak's where it's at for me. The New World Symphony (No. 9) is amazing, and so are 7 and 8.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 05:21:50 AM »
Listen to Haydn's Farewell, and see where Beethoven got his 5th symphony ideas from

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
Following :smiley: I'm not really in classical music but I like what I heard. Beethoven's Sonatas are my favorites (especially Moonlight sonata).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 01:26:31 AM »
Night on Bald Mountain!

(Both the original and the more famous Rimsky-Korsakov version.)