Author Topic: MoraWintersoul's song roulette v. THIS IS THE END  (Read 46592 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: MoraWintersoul's song roulette v. welcome aboard!
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »
I'll send later on this evening.

a question though

Can I pm you the youtube link rather than mail it to you?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: MoraWintersoul's song roulette v. welcome aboard!
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 12:36:35 PM »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: MoraWintersoul's song roulette v. round as open as KM will never be again
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »
Well done!

To ensure this is moving as swiftly as possible, if I don't state otherwise, I will always have the results only as late as 24h after the last submission.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
Sent.
Expecting the lowest score in the first round.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline MysteryMachine

• Ruh-roh!!!
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »
I know this has started already, but in an attempt to turn the tables, how about a 'mystery' roulette participant?  I'm a forum regular (as the 'mystery' judge was), and just had the idea over the weekend to participate anonymously.

How 'bout it Mora?
"And I would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids" - every Scooby-Doo villain ever
Zoinks!!!  Like I could go for a Super Sandwich!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
Let him in Milena, it's actually Kevin Moore! He'll send you unreleased CK and OSI every round and fuck the rest of us. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 01:39:36 PM »
Hello Nick!

And otherwise; goodbye second account?

:neverusethis:
Squ

Offline MysteryMachine

• Ruh-roh!!!
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 01:51:11 PM »
Let him in Milena, it's actually Kevin Moore! He'll send you unreleased CK and OSI every round and fuck the rest of us. :P

I can neither confirm or deny this.
"And I would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids" - every Scooby-Doo villain ever
Zoinks!!!  Like I could go for a Super Sandwich!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Duplicate accounts are against the rules I'm afraid.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I know this has started already, but in an attempt to turn the tables, how about a 'mystery' roulette participant?  I'm a forum regular (as the 'mystery' judge was), and just had the idea over the weekend to participate anonymously.

How 'bout it Mora?

Please use your regular account.  Duplicate accounts are a violation of forum rules.  This account has been disabled.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
For the record, we've nothing against a mystery participant, and they can keep their secret by having someone else send their entries on their behalf (in the same way I posted Ytse's reviews etc when he was the mystery judge).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »
Edit: Mr. Mystery is submitting directly to my email :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:39:07 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yeah that can work too. :)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Whoever you are, I really like you for picking my game to spice up, but you've fucked up my entire rating plans :lol if I don't post tonight, I shall post results first thing in the morning.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
You said you'd be posting tonight. Eagerly awaiting results. :)

:(
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »
I just might, I think I am pretty close to figuring it out.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »
Good. Do I get 0 points?  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
Good. Do I get 0 points?  :biggrin:
God, no.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 05:56:21 PM »
Okay apologies for my awful writeups on your carefully selected tracks, I am just not good with words right now since I've been writing and translating all day and it just made me fatigued as fuck :biggrin:

First off - when I had eight participants, I intended to divide you into four tiers and score you from 2 to 5 points, because 1 to 4 is boring :lol now with a ninth, I decided to add the top tier for the best song. And 2 to 6 points suddenly sounds boring as well, but it sounds better than 1 to 5 so THERE YOU HAVE IT.

Anyway, I just wanted to elaborate on whether or not I may be judging songs too fast or letting my mood influence them - I've been reviewing albums since 2011 and I won't say I've reached some level where I am absolutely sure of my judgment of something, BUT, since I was always paranoid about whether or not I am missing out on a grower or saying something is the most awesome thing ever and then disliking it a few days later, I have developed some sense of self-observance which allows me to estimate things quickly.

tl;dr I am totally capable of listening to nine songs as soon as most of them are submitted a few times in a row and then ranking them, it just takes a smidge more concentration, but the reason why I am totally cool with doing that is because, if you respect my time enough to submit stuff before the deadline, of course I can respect you enough to come out quickly with ratings and such. That, and the point is in enjoying myself, no one has sent me a single song I have actively disliked and I don't think any of you will :)

Onno - System Of A Down - Chic 'N' Stu #01
2 points
Pretty much the only thing I ever liked about this band was their sense of dynamics and the tone of Serj's voice and when you sent me this song I figured there might be something I missed out on about them, but they just aren't for me I guess. A small dose of them was just fine but nothing much over fine.

Ruba - Horizon - Autumn Closure
2 points
Looksie, a local melodic death metal band, super cool! Lower production values and the fact I've heard and written about way too many bands like this ultimately detract from my enjoyment, but I actually see some potential in these guys. They have already got the soaring Insomnium/Be'lakor guitar melodies down, the singer should work a bit more on his growls, adding more variety to them, and if the piano were a bit more prominent, that would help differentiate them from the pack of similar bands. Let me know where they're at in a couple of years in case I forget to follow them, will you?

ariich - Dog Fashion Disco - 100 suicides
3 points
Good fun band I could dance to, they don't strike a deep chord within me and they've lost me a bit with the trumpets but they're pretty original and fun.

YtseBitsySpider - DevilDriver - End Of The Line
3 points
*takes writeup for ariich's song, switches "dance" with "headbang" and "trumpets" with "vague modern/alternative metal overtones"* the champions' judges share their tier, ladies and gentlemen

Scorpion - Incura - Here to blame
4 points
What are these guys? Don't know. Don't care. The vocalist is awesome in particular, I want his musical babies. This is pretty simple and appealed to me a lot for a reason I can't nail down in my writing tonight, but I can in my head, maybe I will be able to tomorrow :lol

Lolzeez - CAMEL - Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider
4 points
9-minute-long 70's prog song. LotR themed. Well what do you know, I like it. I like the soft dreamy vibe, the vocals in the intro that actually sound like something Elvish and the solosaplenty. What's that warm keyboard thingie sound called again? I can't remember for the life of me now but I know I adore it.

Elite - In Mourning - The Poet And The Painter Of Souls
5 points
I listened to this album (and their previous) when it came out, and the reason why I didn't put it in the forbidden bands list is because I dismissed it as middle-of-the-road proggy melodeath and forgot about how these songs even sounded. Needless to say, I intend to re-visit as much from that time period as possible as it is possible that I have missed out on some growers. This song is the proof of it, it's engaging all the way through and I just loved it. Nice job for the band on the lyrics too.

Mystery participant - Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
5 points
Again, the reasons why I haven't listened to Avantasia much is because I am not too keen on the concept of rock opera, nor on Tobias' voice, nor on most symphonic-ish power metal. So the intro didn't grab me much. Nor the aforementioned gentleman's vocal contributions. But the verses and transitions were just so awesome and having two of the finest vocals in today's metal, and so well utilized, left me quite stunned, I did not expect this. HATS OFF AVANTASIA.

Dr. DTVT - Evergrey - Recreation Day
6 points
I just knew this round someone would send me something from one of those big bands I haven't even tested out a single song from. Mason hit an arrow to the center of my tastes. Well, actually, no, he fired a cannon and swept away the surface of the field. It's just got a lot of the elements I used to like on the start of my musical journey and a lot of the things I like now, and that is really enough. I suppose his move wasn't very risky but it was smart. Well done.

I forgot what my next round was but it is in the OP :D you have until Friday, and I am going to bed. Good luck! You were great!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:42:38 AM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 01:25:58 AM »
 :lol
I'd encourage everyone to actually risk a bit and, if not, just try to go for emotional songs (or you can do both). I mean, anyone who knows me even a little would tell you sending me something like Avantasia, which I've almost always actively disliked, is a ticket to catastrophe. And Elite sent me a song by a band which I completely forgot about because of how little impression they made on me in the past. And I've scored both of these songs very high.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 02:31:26 AM »
I'd encourage everyone to actually risk a bit and, if not, just try to go for emotional songs (or you can do both). I mean, anyone who knows me even a little would tell you sending me something like Avantasia, which I've almost always actively disliked, is a ticket to catastrophe. And Elite sent me a song by a band which I completely forgot about because of how little impression they made on me in the past. And I've scored both of these songs very high.
Do mean emotional songs in the next round, so that means guitar-driven and emotional? Or do you mean emotional songs in the next open round?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 02:42:37 AM »
Do mean emotional songs in the next round, so that means guitar-driven and emotional? Or do you mean emotional songs in the next open round?
Every time you can squeeze one in, send it :)

The rounds are really as open as they can be, whenever I have themes it's just to give you a bit of guideline so you don't have to pick from your entire library. Take "guitar-driven". It can mean a great riff or a solo that makes the song or just a strong guitar presence throughout the song. I just want you guys to just send me awesome songs that have stuff I know I like in my music so this would be a lot of fun and not a chore for you to try and think really hard to fit something into a round theme.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 02:45:57 AM »
Ok, thanks, I get it know. Will find something awesome to send.

EDIT: I think I just found something perfect. Will send now :)

Offline Ruba

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 03:36:20 AM »
Hmm well, good that you liked.

But I want more points and I know exactly, what to send  :xbones.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 03:37:40 AM »

There are more obscure soundcloud Finnish bands than ducks in the Hawaii's.  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Ruba

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2013, 03:53:03 AM »

There are more obscure soundcloud Finnish bands than ducks in the Hawaii's.  :lol

Did I say that this one will be Finnish?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2013, 04:08:33 AM »
No, but you're Finnish, she likes Finnish bands and so I made an ignorant guess  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2013, 04:14:43 AM »
I'm gonna be taking a risk and sending some jazz to a prog metal person. Hope you like it! I just gotta decide between these two tracks.  :justjen

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2013, 05:04:56 AM »
Sented. You better like it. :)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2013, 05:59:55 AM »
seriously? Avanatasia and Evergrey?

...that's like saying you've never tried chocolate and then not putting chocolate on the list.
And then someone sends you chocolate.

You acknowledge Jorn being one of the best metal voices but have never checked out tobby's project?

harumph.

what's this next round?..guitar somethingorother...grumblegrumble...
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2013, 09:08:03 AM »
seriously? Avanatasia and Evergrey?

...that's like saying you've never tried chocolate and then not putting chocolate on the list.
And then someone sends you chocolate.

You acknowledge Jorn being one of the best metal voices but have never checked out tobby's project?

harumph.

what's this next round?..guitar somethingorother...grumblegrumble...
Evergrey I've never tried and that is a mortal sin, I admit, but I thought, based on the ten or so songs I have heard, that I completely dislike Avantasia :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »
Hope you didn't mind the huge story I wrote.  :rollin

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Re: MoraWintersoul's song roulette v. round 1 results posted
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »
Grr, I did take a risk and it didn't pay off at all! I even had Evergrey on my list of potentials, but I thought that might be a bit straightforward and unexciting. D'oh!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Re: MoraWintersoul's song roulette v. round 1 results posted
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »
Grr, I did take a risk and it didn't pay off at all! I even had Evergrey on my list of potentials, but I thought that might be a bit straightforward and unexciting. D'oh!
You'll get a hang of what I like pretty quickly :) I suppose I can bold the music I particularly adore in my OP for easier navigation. Definitely, everyone, don't just play on the fact I haven't heard a lot of the stuff I should have, I already know I should familiarize myself with some bands :) or, if you do, go for the newer/overlooked stuff and not just the classics.