Author Topic: If Deep Purple Liked Madonna A Lot [modes lesson]  (Read 8555 times)

Offline blackwing

• Shredthisway.blogspot.com
If Deep Purple Liked Madonna A Lot [modes lesson]
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:05:20 PM »
Hey guys
I was recording a instructional video for my website regarding modes, and i wanted to come up with a sentence so that's easy to remember the list ...
this is wat i came up with
If Deep Purple Liked Madonna A Lot
Ionian-Dorian-Phrygian-Lydian-Mixolydian-Aeolian-Locrian

you can find the video in www.WiLdGuitar.Tk  ... in the instructional videos section

Check it out and lemme know wat you think

if possible also rate and comment

Peace

:metal www.wildguitar.tk  :metal

Update  on 4th august: Check out our new look and added a few more videos
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 05:37:50 AM by blackwing »

https://shredthisway.blogspot.com/ - Free Guitar Lessons and Interesting Articles

Offline MS394

Re: If Deep Purple Liked Madonna A Lot
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 05:18:05 PM »
Wow, thatīs a great sentence to remember the modes  :metal .
I also never have been able to understand the modes, so I will definitely check your video out  :biggrin:.

Offline blackwing

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:28:56 PM »
Glad you like it man ...
be sure to check out www.wildguitar.tk for more

https://shredthisway.blogspot.com/ - Free Guitar Lessons and Interesting Articles

Offline blackwing

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:16:05 AM »
made some changes in the video .. like annotations and stuff check it out

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: If Deep Purple Liked Madonna A Lot [modes lesson]
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:13:34 AM »
I hate to be an ass ... but that had almost zero educational value.

I mean, what exactly is the viewer supposed to take away from the video? That modes are simply a C major scale, but starting with a different note? Frankly, I did not have the impression you knew yourself what modes are good for. All you did was the run the C major scale up and down, starting at different notes. That's not the point of modes.

For starters, I absolutely fail to see how you want to teach the point of modes, without a single chord in the background. Without a chordal context, all the listener hears is a C major scale, and rightly so.
If you had put a Dm chord under your D Dorian scale, the listener would have actually realized that Dorian is kinda a minor scale, but with a major 6th. That major 6th is what gives the Dorian mode its unique sound.

Sorry to write such a scalding post, but I absolutely hate these leagues of guitarists that perpetuate the notion that modes are this thing absolutely necessary to guitar playing, and that they're just these patterns your learn on the fretboard. Yes, there is a use for modes, but for the stuff we do (rock, metal), it's negligible. Rather focus on something useful such as ear development. You can pave the road with guitarists that can play scales up ad down in lightspeed, but need half an hour to figure out "Mary had a little lamb" without a tab.

rumborak
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:19:21 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »
Who needs a mnemonic device to remember modes!?  :\

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 11:06:13 AM »
Way to miss the point of my post, and blackwing's video. Did you even watch the video?

rumborak

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »
Way to miss the point of my post, and blackwing's video. Did you even watch the video?

rumborak

Way to assume I cared enough to spend the time to read your post  :\

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
Quality posts, austin. Quality posts.

rumborak

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 11:19:19 AM »
Quality posts, austin. Quality posts.

rumborak

:neverusethis:
And actually yeah I did read your whole post, and I concur; you're right on the whole spiel about "knowledge" of modes vs. real application and understanding. I still fail to realize why I must address your post in a subsequent post. ???
I didn't think I needed to reiterate what you said  :laugh:

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »
thats what i was thinking, i dont use one at all, and i got them down.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline MS394

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »

Me  ;D. But well, it's like the second time I read about them, I'm a total noob :blush.
Anyway, I agree with Rumborak; chords are needed to understand the effect of modes.

But oh well, I'm a noob here.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
Me  ;D. But well, it's like the second time I read about them, I'm a total noob :blush.
Anyway, I agree with Rumborak; chords are needed to understand the effect of modes.
I tend to remember modes as variations of scales; phrygian is minor with a flat 2, lydian is major with a flat 4, etc. so chords definitely help with memorization and actual application

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »
I tend to remember modes as variations of scales; phrygian is minor with a flat 2, lydian is major with a flat 4, etc. so chords definitely help with memorization and actual application

same with me, but you HAVE to know the chords of the major scale, and then learn them in each respective mode imo. it only makes sense.

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline blackwing

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »
I hate to be an ass ... but that had almost zero educational value.

I mean, what exactly is the viewer supposed to take away from the video? That modes are simply a C major scale, but starting with a different note? Frankly, I did not have the impression you knew yourself what modes are good for. All you did was the run the C major scale up and down, starting at different notes. That's not the point of modes.

For starters, I absolutely fail to see how you want to teach the point of modes, without a single chord in the background. Without a chordal context, all the listener hears is a C major scale, and rightly so.
If you had put a Dm chord under your D Dorian scale, the listener would have actually realized that Dorian is kinda a minor scale, but with a major 6th. That major 6th is what gives the Dorian mode its unique sound.

Sorry to write such a scalding post, but I absolutely hate these leagues of guitarists that perpetuate the notion that modes are this thing absolutely necessary to guitar playing, and that they're just these patterns your learn on the fretboard. Yes, there is a use for modes, but for the stuff we do (rock, metal), it's negligible. Rather focus on something useful such as ear development. You can pave the road with guitarists that can play scales up ad down in lightspeed, but need half an hour to figure out "Mary had a little lamb" without a tab.

rumborak

Ok there were lotta post since i last checked here .... thanks to every one who watched it and liked it

and as for the above message from rumborak :

well as you could've made out from the video ... it's for beginners and not for advanced players ....
now imagine this initially when u were startin out with guitars... and all you knew was major and minor scale ... and if some one came and told you about chord scales and how modes are derived etx ....
or tried to explain modes to u like dorian is flat this or sharp that ...
i dunno bout u dude ... but i'll be freakin confused ..

So i've mainly kept beginners in mind while i made this video ...

but that doesn't mean i completely disagree with wat u said ...

wat u said is rite ... and i'll be sure to include that in my next video : application of modes
but i really don't think stuff like chord scales or the correct chord for a mode belong in a beginners video

Peace

www.wildguitar.tk

Updates in the site : changed the layout a lil ... and now u can join the site usin ur gmail , yahoo , aim or open id a/c ... through google friend connect

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 10:41:20 PM »
well if that works for you then cool, and if it works for others, even better. all i can say is what it takes is tiime studying and using the modes. not a device. knowing the relationships between the scales is the only way they w2ill really help you in the end.

Offline blackwing

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »
well if that works for you then cool, and if it works for others, even better. all i can say is what it takes is tiime studying and using the modes. not a device. knowing the relationships between the scales is the only way they w2ill really help you in the end.

relationship of scales is important ... and trust i'm plannin on goin very deep on this in the next video ...
but the way i see it u really won't be able to use that knowledge unless u can actually play the modes up and down the neck ....
that way u get to experiment with wat u learn further ... and u don't waste time learnin the position or shapes of the modes when all you need to do is but a nice lil jam track and jus enjoy it's tone ...

I feel that the more advanced players in the forum would appreciate my next video better

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »

relationship of scales is important ... and trust i'm plannin on goin very deep on this in the next video ...
but the way i see it u really won't be able to use that knowledge unless u can actually play the modes up and down the neck ....
that way u get to experiment with wat u learn further ... and u don't waste time learnin the position or shapes of the modes when all you need to do is but a nice lil jam track and jus enjoy it's tone ...

I feel that the more advanced players in the forum would appreciate my next video better

imo theory should come before execution. otherwise you are just learning shapes. my opinion.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 03:14:19 PM »
blackwing,

this is IMHO not about "beginner vs. advanced". I consider myself semi-advanced, and I found that at no point in time did you address the single most important question: "What are modes good for?".
I mean, as a driving instructor, you don't spend an hour explaining to a student how to adjust the fuel-to-air ratio of a carburetor, without a single mention of why you would ever want to do that.

And again, I also had the creeping suspicion that you yourself aren't sure about what modes are actually good for. Because under no circumstances does it even remotely make sense to teach about modes without a chordal context. Period.

otherwise you are just learning shapes. my opinion.

That's exactly what the video promotes. Mindless learning of shapes on the fretboard.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »

BTW, that is exactly the right way of viewing modes, again, in my humble opinion. Because honestly, and this is actually a more interesting subject, what's so special about those "modes" that are constructed from different starting points of the major scale? Why are they considered so special? In the end they're just different scales. Harmonic minor for example can not be constructed from a major scale, and yet it is infinitely more useful than any of the modal scales.

rumborak

Offline blackwing

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 05:55:37 PM »
blackwing,

this is IMHO not about "beginner vs. advanced". I consider myself semi-advanced, and I found that at no point in time did you address the single most important question: "What are modes good for?".
I mean, as a driving instructor, you don't spend an hour explaining to a student how to adjust the fuel-to-air ratio of a carburetor, without a single mention of why you would ever want to do that.

And again, I also had the creeping suspicion that you yourself aren't sure about what modes are actually good for. Because under no circumstances does it even remotely make sense to teach about modes without a chordal context. Period.

otherwise you are just learning shapes. my opinion.

That's exactly what the video promotes. Mindless learning of shapes on the fretboard.

rumborak

Well i believe if u learn it and practice it sincerely ... it doesn't make a damn difference wether u learn the shapes first or the theory first. .. IMHO i think it's better to start with the shapes ... cuz this way before you move on to the application ... u get a fair knowledge of the tonality of various modes ....

if you start from the basics ... for e.g if u start from the theory of chord scale and stuff like that ... u mite know the theory but you won't really know how to use it ....  that's jus my opinion and that's wat i'm gonna propogate in my video ...

and FYI try to pick up Peter Fischer's Rock guitar secrets ... he also suggests the path similar to wat i said ...
 and so does many other videos and books ....

But with all due respect i think if you wanna teach modes like flat this and sharp that ... how much time do you think a beginner would take to grasp it ... let alone the fact that it's BOOOOOOrinG ...  ;D ... i agree with you it's a gr8 way to start but it's jus too boring and too difficult for beginners ...
It's not that i didn't consider it ... i did .. but when u put it down in a video .. the viewer's gonna hit the lil X button on the top faster then malmsteen's solos

Well anyway u have ur opinion and i have mine ...

But if you really feel that this way is not rite ... record a video for advanced players and i'll host it on my site ...

PEACE

:metal www.wildguitar.tk  :metal

Update : Changed the layout of the site a lil bit : check it out ... and now you can join the site with ur google account

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »
let alone the fact that it's BOOOOOOrinG ...  ;D ... i agree with you it's a gr8 way to start but it's jus too boring and too difficult for beginners ...

If this kind of stuff is considered boring to musicians, then why bother learning it? leave it to the people that find it interesting. I feel like if someone finds learning the modes boring and frustrating, I don't even want to know what advanced theory would do, which is the kind of stuff you will run into if you make music a living (such as myself)

if this is how you want your videos, totally cool with me. just know that it may not be the most effective approach in the long run. short term it is very effective, but I am still paying for learning shapes first, and damn myself for doing it that way 7 years ago.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 07:20:46 PM »
and FYI try to pick up Peter Fischer's Rock guitar secrets ... he also suggests the path similar to wat i said ...
 and so does many other videos and books ....

I have that book, and up to the point of modes, it is a good book. The end of the book is just page-filling, with just pointless enumerations of yet another scale or mode.

But with all due respect i think if you wanna teach modes like flat this and sharp that ... how much time do you think a beginner would take to grasp it ... let alone the fact that it's BOOOOOOrinG ...  ;D ... i agree with you it's a gr8 way to start but it's jus too boring and too difficult for beginners ...

You mean, the very point of a mode, that it is a variation of a single note from either a major or a minor scale, is boring? And instead, it is more interesting to mindlessly learn shapes on the fretboard?

Maybe we have a different view of what makes music interesting.

rumborak

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »
You mean, the very point of a mode, that it is a variation of a single note from either a major or a minor scale, is boring? And instead, it is more interesting to mindlessly learn shapes on the fretboard?

Maybe we have a different view of what makes music interesting.

yep.

Offline blackwing

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 12:51:39 AM »
I'm sorry guys but i really do find learning modes by half step this and whole step that really boring ...
true we do have different view of what makes music interesting

cuz for me it's not the theory ... but wat you can do with it that's important ... and more fun

and as i said ... this video is for beginners mostly ...
I should be done with my next video in a few days ...
I want you guys to check it out

please lemme know if there's anythin specific you guys would like to see

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 06:38:26 AM »
BTW, your thumb position video is equally as misleading. Since when is there a "proper position" for your thumb? That stuff totally depends on what kind of music you want to play, the size of your hands, and most importantly, what feels natural to you.
I for example challenge you to play a G major chord with your perfect thumb position. Or do a bend on the high E-string with that "gap" you espouse in that video.

rumborak

Offline blackwing

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 07:30:23 AM »
@rumborak : I think you should get an award for visitin my site the max times man lol

but seriously i really appreciate it

and unlike the modes video i totally agree with you on the thumb video ...
it's true that u can't play everythin with perfect thumb position ...
the video is jus a mainly targeted towards beginner solo players

and i defenitely agree with you on the bends cuz i personally prefer a zakk wylde style bend

but u can't really say that it's impossible to play stuff wilth perfect thumb position
for e.g check out Chris poland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qua_N3O03CI
some one pointed out this video to me in the petrucci forum
although it looks a lil awkward , and i personally don't do it myself. nor do i recommend it in my video...
but it is possible

and if you wanna check out bends and vibrato ...
check out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ygQb8-gjc
it's not an instructional video or anythin ... but it's kinda song
that i've been workin on

anyway i really appreciate all the effort man seriously ...

and as for modes i would take everyone's suggestions into consideration while makin the next modes video on advanced application

PEACE

:metal WWW.WILDGUITAR.TK :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »
[...]
but u can't really say that it's impossible to play stuff wilth perfect thumb position

Dude, stop calling it the "perfect thumb position". It's the "thumb at the back of the fretboard" position. Nothing "perfect" about it. Regarding Chris Poland, good for him that he has such control in a bend when placing his thumb that way. But it's not something I would *ever* recommend to anyone, especially not in an instructional video.

check out

The bends are good, the vibrato isn't. It's very erratic the way you shake the string.
The soloing overall is quite nice though. Very tasty.

rumborak

Offline blackwing

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:42 AM »
[...]

Dude, stop calling it the "perfect thumb position". It's the "thumb at the back of the fretboard" position. Nothing "perfect" about it. Regarding Chris Poland, good for him that he has such control in a bend when placing his thumb that way. But it's not something I would *ever* recommend to anyone, especially not in an instructional video.

check out

The bends are good, the vibrato isn't. It's very erratic the way you shake the string.
The soloing overall is quite nice though. Very tasty.

rumborak

ah !!! finally the gr8 rumborak has something nice to say bout me  :xbones

thanks dude ...

and ya the vibrato is a lil shaky ... but i don't know , i don't really concentrate on vibrato .. i jus let it happen
and that video was recorded nearly 2 and a half yrs back ...

Peace

www.wildguitar.tk

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »

and ya the vibrato is a lil shaky ... but i don't know , i don't really concentrate on vibrato .. i jus let it happen

vibrato is one of the most important aspects of guitar playing, you can tjust let it happen, you have to perfect it.
as rumbo said, teaching "thumb position" is not really a great idea, it really doesnt matter in the end. i dont htink i have ever actually played like that unless im playing bass.

Offline blackwing

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 02:28:26 AM »

vibrato is one of the most important aspects of guitar playing, you can tjust let it happen, you have to perfect it.
as rumbo said, teaching "thumb position" is not really a great idea, it really doesnt matter in the end. i dont htink i have ever actually played like that unless im playing bass.

sorry man ... but i gotta disagree wit ya on that one...

i know vibrato is pretty important ... but u can't sit down and do exercises for it ... it has to come naturally ...
if ur gonna sit down calculate how .00000004th quarter of the note ur bendin in the vibrato .. it's jus gonna sound mechanical ...
like a predetermined vibrato in keyboards....
it's best if you jus let it come naturally ...

u can't look away when nature calls  ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 08:50:06 AM »
Dude, it's almost as if you're trying hard to say the wrong things. Of course one needs to practice the vibrato, just like every other technique of playing. And to be rather blunt here, you're not in the position to educate people on how to learn a good vibrato, given that your own is not that good to begin with. Yours actually sounds mechanic and forced.

rumborak

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »
Here's what Mr. Vai has to say about vibrato (from part 2 of his martian love secrets)
Quote from: steve vai
Vibrato is a very expressive technique, and can say a thousand different things when properly used (or misused). Sit with your guitar and a clock, and vibrate a note for one hour. Sounds simple, but here's the catch...

Never deviate from holding that note.

Pick it as many times as you like. Try many different vibrato approaches (fast, slow, soulful, mellifluous, etc).

Most important, don't let your mind wander. When you find yourself thinking of anything other than vibrato (and you will, probably in the first few seconds), pull your mind back to the note. Your mind will wander off into thoughts such as "Am I doing this right?", then "Boy, what a waste of time this is!" Eventually, you'll find yourself thinking about your friends, your financial situation, what you did yesterday, what you're going to do tomorrow, and of course, "Let's eat!" This is the hard part. Just keep pulling your mind back to vibrating that note. It's a discipline worth working on.

Eventually, you'll exhaust all conventional vibrato approaches, all the ways you saw someone else do it. Then (if you have the discipline to continue), your mind will enter private realms and you will reach deeper into your own uniqueness for different ideas.

You may have to start practicing this technique little by little, doing it for just five or ten minutes. Try timing yourself. Ultimately, you'll find that when it comes time to "just play", you'll use these vibratos with great ease, and you will discover something different in your playing.

Offline blackwing

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »
Here's what Mr. Vai has to say about vibrato (from part 2 of his martian love secrets)
Vibrato is a very expressive technique, and can say a thousand different things when properly used (or misused). Sit with your guitar and a clock, and vibrate a note for one hour. Sounds simple, but here's the catch...

Pick it as many times as you like. Try many different vibrato approaches (fast, slow, soulful, mellifluous, etc).

Most important, don't let your mind wander. When you find yourself thinking of anything other than vibrato (and you will, probably in the first few seconds), pull your mind back to the note. Your mind will wander off into thoughts such as "Am I doing this right?", then "Boy, what a waste of time this is!" Eventually, you'll find yourself thinking about your friends, your financial situation, what you did yesterday, what you're going to do tomorrow, and of course, "Let's eat!" This is the hard part. Just keep pulling your mind back to vibrating that note. It's a discipline worth working on.

Eventually, you'll exhaust all conventional vibrato approaches, all the ways you saw someone else do it. Then (if you have the discipline to continue), your mind will enter private realms and you will reach deeper into your own uniqueness for different ideas.

You may have to start practicing this technique little by little, doing it for just five or ten minutes. Try timing yourself. Ultimately, you'll find that when it comes time to "just play", you'll use these vibratos with great ease, and you will discover something different in your playing.

Sure /// if you have 8 hrs to practise everyday :)

@rumborak : I'm not tryin to teach vibrato to anyone man ... I'm jus sayin ...  I prefer to let it come naturally ..

I've never really sat down and practiced vibrato or anything ... If you know a good lesson or exercise(besides Vai's above) lemme know ... I'll try it out

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »

Sure /// if you have 8 hrs to practise everyday :)

@rumborak : I'm not tryin to teach vibrato to anyone man ... I'm jus sayin ...  I prefer to let it come naturally ..

I've never really sat down and practiced vibrato or anything ... If you know a good lesson or exercise(besides Vai's above) lemme know ... I'll try it out

didnt you read it? he said take like 5 or 10 minutes.... last time i checked time flow didnt make that into 8 hours. and when you let it come naturally it doesn't sound like natural vibrato should sound.