Author Topic: Eddie and The Cruisers  (Read 2586 times)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Eddie and The Cruisers
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:48:56 AM »
Anybody else seen this movie, or the sequel?  I found no mention of it with the search.  It's pretty kick ass music, and I'm not even into that 50's/60's "Jersey rock" or whatever you would call it.  But all the music is done by John Cafferty and The Beaver Brown band.  My dad is from Jersey and has always loved this type of music, and I first saw this movie over 20 years ago.  The soundtracks from the two movies are good listening.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Eddie and The Cruisers
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:54:56 AM »
I owned the soundtrack. Good stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:08:49 AM »
The first movie is pretty cool, as Lonestar said the soundtrack is killer. The movie is entertaining also. The sequel, wow...it's so bad it's great to watch.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:22:59 AM »
I loved this movie when it first came out.  Probably haven't seen it in 17-18 years.  I've often wondered if the movie would hold up today.  The soundtrack definitely is awesome!  It's surprising I like it as much as I do because it's very Springsteen-like.  And, I HATE Bruce!  Being from Jersey, I know I should love the guy.  But, I just can't.

Anyway, Eddie and the Cruisers...  great movie! 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:30:52 AM »
First movie is good and the soundtrack is awesome. Never seen the sequel

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:23:21 AM »
one of my favorite movies from my childhood.  It has been playing on my cable system the last few months and I must have watched it at least 10 more times.

The sequel is steaming pile of shit.  If you really need to watch it I actually found it on youtube.  Painfully bad.  The music is pretty descent, so it might make it watchable for those willing to give it a go.

Anyone read the book it was based on?  It's a little different, a little darker and of course has a different ending.  I actually prefer the changes in the storyline for the movie, especially the ending.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:24:59 AM »
The sequel, wow...it's so bad it's great to watch.

Nailed it.  The first movie is good.  The second is entertaining.  Rick Diesel - "You think you can tell me how to play with moy band?  This is moy band, man!"

In fact, John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band sounded too similar to Springsteen, according to the music industry.  This movie is testament to the music they were capable of making, but they just weren't Springsteen.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
the song playing during the opening credits of the sequel is great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYxVeoaZ58g
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »
The sequel, wow...it's so bad it's great to watch.

Nailed it.  The first movie is good.  The second is entertaining.  Rick Diesel - "You think you can tell me how to play with moy band?  This is moy band, man!"

In fact, John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band sounded too similar to Springsteen, according to the music industry.  This movie is testament to the music they were capable of making, but they just weren't Springsteen.
The first time I watched the sequel I was wasted...I woke up the next morning and thought to myself.."did I make that up, did I dream a horrible sequel to Eddie and the Cruisers?" Then that night I saw it coming on again, I watched it again....and sure enough it wasn't my drunken imagination.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 11:39:15 AM »
I agree with everyone else.  The first film was good, very entertaining, with great music.

The second one, well...
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
This is one of my Mom's favorite movies of all time.  But she refuses to acknowledge the existence of the sequel, kinda like a Godfather III thing, you know?

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 01:17:58 PM »
The first was indeed a good flick.  In fact, whenever I hear Johnny and the (Wynona's) Brown Beavers, I think of Michael Pare singing.  Well, lip-synching.  The second movie is all but forgettable.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
The first time I watched the sequel I was wasted...I woke up the next morning and thought to myself.."did I make that up, did I dream a horrible sequel to Eddie and the Cruisers?"

For some reason, this cracks me up.  :lol

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »
Great movie.

I would greatly encourage you to watch, "The Idolmaker" if you have not seen it. Absolute classic!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »
The first time I watched the sequel I was wasted...I woke up the next morning and thought to myself.."did I make that up, did I dream a horrible sequel to Eddie and the Cruisers?"

For some reason, this cracks me up.  :lol
If only it were a joke....but I was honestly confused for a good two or three minutes......those were my Jagermeister days :(...I guess you could say they were my 'Wild Summer Nights'.... :biggrin: