Author Topic: House Of Cards (Netflix) - Final season, the end. (spoilers ahead)  (Read 19873 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: House Of Cards (Netflix) - v.Season 5 (spoilers ahead)
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2017, 04:57:01 AM »
And in keeping with my tradition of finishing the series in 24 hours this season was no exception. Wow, this was a packed season with crazy amount of twists and turns with crazy episodes getting crazier. I loved this season, superb all round.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
I actually found myself feeling very disappointed by this season. Beware of the lightest of spoilers from here, but I didn't find the last episode's twists believable at all. Major SPOILERS: Mainly the abruptness of Frank's change of heart. Of course, he was bullshitting to Claire when he said that leaving the Presidency for the private sector with her in his place, and but it otherwise just felt so damn contrived. Four seasons building up to him gaining a mandate from the people, and he quits the job a few episodes after actually getting it? And all it takes is a suggestion from Davis that she can supply Frank private sector connections? Not to mention that ICO went nowhere, folks around the President die and no one bats an eyelash, Catherine fucking Durant, it all just felt so poorly written. Now I'm just griping, but man, we could've seen Frank deteriorate into worse paranoia, we could've seen the seeds sewn for a dictatorship-lite, idk man. I just wasn't pleased at all. Besides watching Conway slowly lose it, that was very interesting. Davis too, I found myself warming to her by season's end.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2017, 03:23:03 PM »
Finished season 5 today and loved almost all of it. The thing I didn't like was the very end. We've seen enough of Claire vs Frank by now, and this show is always at its best when they're on the same page and working together. I don't need to see this a.. what is it, fourth time now?

Other than that, I thought it was all great.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2017, 11:59:57 PM »
I think the ending of the season definitely should've been fleshed out better, it's way too sudden and really doesn't fit in with how the entirety of the past seasons have been going. Since the show has sorta surprisingly not been renewed by Netflix yet, I'd hate for the show to end the way it did. I've read a few forums and a huge majority of people feel the same way as Zeltar.

I personally can give a few things a pass but I'm really not sure about Frank's motivation as he explained to Claire. The show can do better, I'm also hoping they end it sooner rather than later.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »

Not entirely surprising that season six is going to be the last for the series. Official renewal just came yesterday which I thought was surprising but according to the producers it was already planned to be the last well before these Spacey allegations came out.
The production for the show is currently suspended too so I'm wondering what they plan on doing. I'm guessing they're going to rewrite it a lot around Kevin Spacey's character and make Claire's role even more prominent.

Personally I think the ideas they had from seasons 3,4 & 5 could've all fit in one season in a much tighter format. The show, of course, could've ended much earlier but my guess is that Netflix realized this show is making them bank, pulling a lot of new subscribers in, and they decided to keep stretching it out.

Curious to see how it will go from here, I'm willing to bet the last season will be the least watched of the series. There's also word that they want to do a spinoff with Doug's character. As much as I love his character, I don't think I'd be watching that show. He's good in the context of the show but as a standalone, don't think he'd be able to pull it off.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
There can't be a show nowadays without people making 8903457038457340534 spin-offs.  ::)

vide

The Walking Dead --> Fear The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad --> Better Call Saul

A Game of Thrones spin-off is already in the works too.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2017, 07:33:38 AM »
a spinoff with Doug's character?! well, so much for my theory that he'd snuff it next season. no way could I see that being a viable show

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2017, 11:26:03 AM »
a spinoff with Doug's character?! well, so much for my theory that he'd snuff it next season. no way could I see that being a viable show

He's a good sidekick but I don't see enough charisma there to make a lead. Talking about the character btw, not the actor.

I don't really see many spinoff worthy characters in the show really. Maybe a russian House of Cards with Viktor Petrov shitting on any and all of his opponents (and perhaps some allies too for good measure).

Offline faizoff

« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »
There can't be a show nowadays without people making 8903457038457340534 spin-offs.  ::)

vide

The Walking Dead --> Fear The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad --> Better Call Saul

A Game of Thrones spin-off is already in the works too.

Truth be told the Better Call Saul really surprised me by how good it was. I mean I think it's on par with Breaking Bad though in a different way.
I gave up on Fear the walking dead after 2 episodes of the 2nd season. I'm probably going to stop watching TWD as well.

Don't know about the GOT spinoff just yet, there's still time for that.

...and in House of Cards news, looks like Netflix has dropped all ties with Spacey and the writers are in the process of writing the final season without Spacey. They apparently already shot two episodes when production was halted.

Looks like his character is going out with a whimper on the show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
I totally get why they fired Spacey, but what a unsatisfying conclusion it will now be to the series.  The whole thing has built up to seeing Frank Underwood gets what's coming to him and now he will probably be killed off screen.  Like I said, I get why they have to do it, but from a storytelling standpoint, it really sucks for loyal viewers (which I would not call myself anymore, not since Season 3-ish).

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2017, 09:39:31 PM »
No point in watching House of Cards without Kevin Spacey as far as I’m concerned.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2017, 02:45:27 AM »
No point in watching House of Cards without Kevin Spacey as far as I’m concerned.

Yeah, this.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2017, 05:04:23 PM »
I think the writers and show-runners are in a very tough and almost impossible situation. Spacey was the star of the series and regardless of the shift they started with giving Robin Wright more screen time and making her more prominent, Spacey was still the draw of the show. I am going to watch it when it comes out, hopefully it does come out, I don't think there will be any easy maneuvering without making it awkward.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2017, 01:40:53 AM »
Finished recently to watch season 5. Meh, what a clusterfuck.

Before watching it (I didn't start until the Kevin Spacey scandal) I was a bit sad that the series had to end this way, now after having watched it I'd say "well, about time they finish it".

The change of the writing team it showed very clearly, the storylines were all contrived and made no sense. As pointed above, one episode they go "One nation Underwood", stating the election years for almost decades to come, and then Frank goes "Nah, I'll kick myself out of an elected presidency a month after having finally got it"???

Also: What's in the world of the show the appeal of Frank Underwood? He's as shady as it can be, he didn't really accomplish anything except the America Works program. Maybe it could have been interesting to have a Palpatine approach, to present a wolf in sheep's clothing and having him beloved doing nice things, while being a relentless blackmailer behind closed doors.

Really, Kevin Spacey Spacey-ing all over the place was the main and essentially only draw of this show (See the scene in which he announces his resignation), without him the last season will be even poorer than the last.

Another detail - I've read a comment on the web how 13 episodes for 4 seasons make 52 episodes, and 52 is the numer of cards in a deck. Now that I've read it, I'll forever regret the series didn't end with Season 4, it should have been two season of rise (the final scene of Season 2 is the best of the series for me, it's almost satisfying as a series finale), one season of uncertainty and the final season of fall. Damn, "House of Cards" literally means "Something that takes a long time to build and comes down very quickly", take the hint from the name of the show, showrunners.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2017, 05:08:45 AM »
Everything in your last paragraph is exactly how I feel as well.

Offline faizoff

Re: House Of Cards (Netflix) - Final season, the end. (spoilers ahead)
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2018, 06:20:06 AM »
The last and final season came out this past Friday. 8 episode send off.
I think the way they handled Frank's absence was the only way they could do it which was fine by me personally, however, the entire season is a giant directionless turdfest.

I thought they would have some redeeming qualities but it was really really bland. There were too many things that felt set up and then they go out on a whimper. The pacing felt completely off, editing was weird.

I know people had huge problems with season 5, I did too but only with the last 2 or 3 episodes, most of the previous stuff was fine. But this whole last season was an amplified mess of those last bad episodes.

Ugh what a collapse.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2018, 07:09:56 AM »
For me the best approach to House of Cards is, as an advice for newcomers:

Watch season 1 and 2. Pretend the show ends there.
If you like it quite a lot, read a detailed summary online of season 3.
Watch season 4 which isn't too much bad.
Read online the resolution of the cliffhangers, know that Kevin Spacey's situation derailed the show, move on and forget about the rest.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2018, 08:26:30 AM »
As soon as I learned spacey was gone, I checked out. That's the compelling fundamental character. Claire was fine as a compliment to Frank, but can't hold the show on her own.

For me the best approach to House of Cards is, as an advice for newcomers:

Watch season 1 and 2. Pretend the show ends there.
If you like it quite a lot, read a detailed summary online of season 3.
Watch season 4 which isn't too much bad.
Read online the resolution of the cliffhangers, know that Kevin Spacey's situation derailed the show, move on and forget about the rest.

That is damn good advice.

If I could have done it all again, the second that he steps into the oval office officially as president, and knocks the desk as it fades to black is where I should have stopped watching. He reached the mountain top and it never got any better than that. Up until that point though, it was some utterly incredible television.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2018, 11:39:38 AM »
Indeed, that moment was so satisfying that I actually pumped my fist in celebration. It was beautifully done. The slow closing in, Frank taking in at his own time what he achieved... look to the camera... KNOCK KNOCK! and fade to black with the echo of the knocks! massively awesome!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2018, 04:21:57 AM »
Yah, this final season was a bust, but of course they left it wide open for a reboot. I have to say, Robin Wright was great in a  cold, calculated way.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2018, 06:37:03 AM »
Ideally the 3rd season should've started with the cards falling and how Frank's power trip was causing severe harm to himself. Instead they changed the pacing of season 3 to be more drama based and character driven with lesser plot points being advanced. I honestly didn't mind it personally but it was vastly different than season 1 & 2. Season 4 I felt it went back on track and the beginning half of 5 was great too. The later half was kind of aimless and might as well have just ended the series there. The season 6 did nothing to add to the story or arc.

Oh well, at least there were still a few incredible seasons.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2018, 06:43:57 AM »
Shame what happened to this show. I think I bailed in episode 3 or 4 of season 4. It started off so good.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #162 on: November 08, 2018, 06:52:32 AM »
If you have time to kill, watch the final episodes of season 4, the final run of episodes of that season is good and the ending is chilling and badass.

Season 5 is basically a waste of time IMHO.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »
Kevin Spacey uploaded a video of him in character as Frank on his youtube page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZveA-NAIDI

Offline faizoff

« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »
I watched it and I thought WTF is he trying to do? Plus right after he posted that it was revealed he'll be charged for sexual assault.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #165 on: December 24, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
I saw that too. I wonder, What were they waiting for with the charges? All that crap went down months ago.

Did they:

A) Have the charges queued up and ready and were just waiting for a good time

B) Just saw the video and were like "screw this guy" and wrote up the charges

Dumb move on his part. I would have just laid low indefinitely

Offline faizoff

« Reply #166 on: December 24, 2018, 02:28:03 PM »
I think it was a case of Spacey knowing that charges were going to be filed and he made this for whatever reason to distract? from the reporting of the charges.. I don't know it's bizarre regardless.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »
He continues to stare in front of him briefly. Is he reading? once you notice it, you can't unnotice it.

That was...... weird. Sure, the piece itself was good. But to have him play his latest character, like he hasn't done anything else, in a move that seems to scream "Hey! hey! Look at me! I was Frank Underwood! do you miss me? you still want me, right? can I still work, right?" feels..... weird, to say the least.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:50:36 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #169 on: December 24, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »
Those two last videos that got posted by him reminded me I'm still following Spacey on Twitter lol.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #170 on: December 25, 2019, 07:03:16 PM »
He should just run for actual president, lol. Stranger things have happened