Author Topic: House Of Cards (Netflix) - Final season, the end. (spoilers ahead)  (Read 19886 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: House Of Cards, Season one (Entire series on Netflix)
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 06:03:58 PM »
*S1 SPOILER ALERT*

You're going to hate the way season 2 starts.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 01:15:27 AM »
*S1 SPOILER ALERT*

You're going to hate the way season 2 starts.
What a load of bullcrap that was. In the middle of the 2nd episode and the cop commenting the security footage is adding insult to injury. I'd have a hard time buying that they can't see that she was talking to someone in the first place, but to conclude that she "tripped or jumped" right after she started rushing in the exact opposite direction is just ridiculous. Doesn't make the least amount of sense.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 02:00:34 AM »
Sycsa go back and look at the first episode. The fenced structure is oddly shaped and the section she's leaning against was the tiny portion parallel with the tracks. So her rushing around it suddenly would be obscured from the camera angle slightly.

I think now more than ever that the Underwood character is one of the most frightening characters in cinematic history.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 06:10:52 AM »
Sycsa go back and look at the first episode. The fenced structure is oddly shaped and the section she's leaning against was the tiny portion parallel with the tracks. So her rushing around it suddenly would be obscured from the camera angle slightly.
That's simply not true. She wasn't parallel with the tracks and it's clear that she was entirely visible to the camera during the conversation and when she rushed around the corner, despite the continuity error with the fence.

I think now more than ever that the Underwood character is one of the most frightening characters in cinematic history.
Yeah, if you can buy into the Vice President of the United States of America shoving 20-year-old journalists in front of metros while wearing fake glasses and a fedora. That's more comical than frightening and requires way too much of a suspension of disbelief for me to properly enjoy an otherwise realistic political drama series.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:11:53 AM by Sycsa »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
The only thing about that incident I wish they'd change was the execution of it. I thought that part could have been tightened up but other than that, I knew it had to happen after I watched the original UK series. So it was only a matter of when and where. Come to think of it I kinda wished they had ended the first season with the first episode of this season, but Im not complaining. On my second watch now.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 12:55:39 PM »
Season 2 going to be released in a few hours, I honestly cannot wait. This week I watched the entire season 1 with director's commentary which would make it my 3rd full watch of the show. Excellent show and have watched a few episodes of the UK version, need to finish that.

The US president is keen on it too it seems.

All of that...though I'm not quite buying the appeal of Urquhart for a young girl like I can Underwood's.

I'm doing Netflix in three episode chunks, trying to make it last.  So far, it's more intense than season 1.  I like it.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 02:02:52 PM »
All of that

No. It is true. The tiny section of the fence she was standing in front of during the conversation is not really very visible from the video camera footage. You wouldnt be able to really see what she was doing. But whatever. If you dislike the whole VP murderer thing...it's tomato-tomahto.

There is a major continuity error in that the sign on the fence is different. Perhaps we'll learn later on that the footage was doctored before the cop showed it to Lucas.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:07:59 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »
Are you on a phone and have pictures disabled? Because I linked screenshots and it's clear that where she was standing is visible on the security footage. It doesn't matter that it's at a sharp angle, her standing there, going around the corner in the opposite direction and then falling right back in front of the train would have been visible on the footage so concluding that it was either an accident or suicide doesn't fall into place. There is no tiny section of the fence where she was standing, it's one big side which is very far from being parallel with the tracks like you said so it's as if we're not even watching the same TV show.

Offline thesilkymilk

• I encompass, and I eclipse
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »
This second season is amazing. Kevin Spacey kills it.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 12:36:44 AM »
Yep, just finished season two.. Good googly moogly!   Liked it even better than the first season.

Can't wait for season three!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline jsem

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »
Blazed through season 2 now. I never expected things to progress the way they did. I didn't quite like the final episodes, things felt rushed somehow, but this season was miles ahead of the first season, which was already all kinds of awesome. This show is absolutely god tier.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »
Just watched Episode 1 of Season 2, and holy crap, I did not see that coming.  I think my jaw might have actually dropped to the ground. :lol

However, I do worry about the show going forward now, as the dynamic between Underwood and Zoe was awesome and one of the driving forces of the show, and now it is gone.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:24 AM »
Just watched Episode 1 of Season 2, and holy crap, I did not see that coming.  I think my jaw might have actually dropped to the ground. :lol

However, I do worry about the show going forward now, as the dynamic between Underwood and Zoe was awesome and one of the driving forces of the show, and now it is gone.

Don't worry, season 2 holds up just fine. You almost forget about her, actually.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »
That's good to hear.  I hope to watch the rest of Season 2 throughout this week.

The difficult thing about releasing a show this way is that it makes talking about it online a bit difficult, as everybody goes at their own pace, and you don't want to risk reading spoilers if others are further ahead than you are. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2014, 08:19:47 AM »
Yea true, which is why I finished it the first day. heh heh.

But yea releasing all at once does have its pros and cons, the bingers can binge and the pacers can pace.
I finished the first season as well on the sunday it came out, I initially just wanted to check out one or two episodes but hooked in right away and couldn't stop watching. I loved rewatching the season as so many details escape you the first time you watch straight through.

season 2 spoilers below

Doug was my fav secondary character and it looks like he's done though. I'm now a bit apprehensive to watch the remaining UK HoC as they seem to follow the major plotlines in the US version. So the night before the release of the US season 2 I had just completed watching the first season of the UK version. It ended with the reporter being thrown off the roof by FU and right at that time thought aw man now that's what's going to happen with Zoe, so it was only a matter of when in the US version.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jsem

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »
Spoilers ahead:

I never anticipated Doug's death. That just highlights what some people are capable of when they have been pushed around and are coerced into doing things they absolutely don't want. Doug was a despicable human being anyway, he never won any sympathy points with me for having gotten off alcohol - it didn't change the nature of is work with Frank.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2014, 09:16:08 PM »
Just finished season 2.

I thought it was, overall, better than Season 1. Season 1 had a bunch of filler in the middle but it was bookended by some terrific episodes. Season 2 is the same, except it's a bit more consistent overall. I think that I will end up being one of those annoying naysayers that picks apart the 'popular show of the week.' I love House of Cards for its acting and its characters, but god does it take the easy way out with a lot of its plotting. Aside from Frank and Claire, pretty much everyone is either naive or incompetent and President Walker makes Dubya look like some bastion of towering intellect with how easily he is duped and played by Frank. It's a great show to watch for the characters and the acting but the politics and the maneuvering is like watching a game of Scrabble between an English major and a group of mentally handicapped four year olds.

I was really disappointed that the reporters' storylines seemed to get dropped halfway through the season. There was some potential there to bring another facet of the story into play but unfortunately, that did not happen. Rachel's story seemed the most needlessly lengthened as if it was just there to fill up space until that inevitable climax. I quite like Stamper though.  He's a certified slimeball creepbag and one of the few characters with almost nothing redeeming about him, but I'll be a bit disappointed if he ends up dead.

So yeah, I enjoyed this season but I don't think it deserves all the acclaim it's getting. Maybe if the acclaim was limited to the acting and some of the characters, but I can't help but find most of the plotting lazy and contrived.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2014, 06:19:50 AM »
Mrs. P absorbed the entire season in a less than a fortnight, and I was a eager participant for the first few episodes...then Frank killed another person and I just sort of checked out. I'd be sitting in the same room reading while Mrs. P watched, so I sort of absorbed the series through osmosis but honestly, it was all I could do to not laugh out loud at the terrible plot twists and spoil the experience for my true love.

Like 'His Royal Red Majesty' notes above, great acting and some pretty smoldering dialog. I'd like to add that it's a really cool idea but why not make a more realistic political drama. Why all the sensationalism? Politics are messy enough without melodrama. I think Netflix missed a real opportunity here.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jsem

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2014, 09:19:37 AM »
When I said the show was god tier, that was coming right off of watching the season in about 36 hours or so. I'm going to retract that statement now. Things progressed way too quickly, was way too sensationalized. Frank's ascent shouldn't have happened the way it did either.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »
I'm finished with Season 2. 

I like the show a lot, but I agree that the way things always turn out just right for Frank is a bit silly.  He goes from House Majority WHIP to the presidency in less than two years (their time)?  Haha, okay.  But the writing is mostly really good and compelling.  And the acting, especially by Spacey and Wright, is just stellar.

I was disappointed by Doug's apparent death.  I thought that whole storyline with him and Rachel took a strange turn, and then it wraps up for the season with her killing him with a rock in the woods?  Very anti-climatic.  I did enjoy the lesbian scene between Rachel and her girlfriend the episode before, though. :coolio  The "where in the hell did that come from" scene with Frank, Claire and Meechum seemed completely unnecessary, however.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2014, 09:33:56 AM »
I'm finished with Season 2. 

I like the show a lot, but I agree that the way things always turn out just right for Frank is a bit silly.  He goes from House Majority WHIP to the presidency in less than two years (their time)?  Haha, okay.  But the writing is mostly really good and compelling.  And the acting, especially by Spacey and Wright, is just stellar.

I was disappointed by Doug's apparent death.  I thought that whole storyline with him and Rachel took a strange turn, and then it wraps up for the season with her killing him with a rock in the woods?  Very anti-climatic.  I did enjoy the lesbian scene between Rachel and her girlfriend the episode before, though. :coolio  The "where in the hell did that come from" scene with Frank, Claire and Meechum seemed completely unnecessary, however.

That was one of the moments I was thinking in my post above where I had to stifle a laugh...not that our politicians don't routinely engage in adventurous sexual encounters.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 04:46:34 AM »
It's a great show to watch for the characters and the acting but the politics and the maneuvering is like watching a game of Scrabble between an English major and a group of mentally handicapped four year olds.
This sentence encompasses the show perfectly. Along with the silly killings, it's insulting to the intelligence, to put it mildly. Should be called 'Space Political Drama'. Still, it's entertaining as hell and that's the most important factor. Not going to be a classic, though.

Bottom line:
Why all the sensationalism? Politics are messy enough without melodrama. I think Netflix missed a real opportunity here.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2014, 11:59:59 AM »
I finished season two last night. I approve.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2014, 03:30:59 PM »
Just finished Season 2. Definitely a bit of a different tone than Season 1 and less interesting storylines. I'm kind of bummed about Stamper as I thought he was an interesting character.

The "where in the hell did that come from" scene with Frank, Claire and Meechum seemed completely unnecessary, however.

Yeah that was a bit odd, though I've seen shows do that before where they very briefly show characters in uncomfortable/out of character spots and then just move on with it never coming up again. I mean look at the first scene we see Feng. The Wire did that a few times as well and it always distorts your vision of the character from then on.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2014, 06:44:52 PM »
I just finished Season 1 last night and I can safely say that I am hooked on this show. Kevin Spacey is so amazing in this role and I'm really intrigued by what will happen to Frank Underwood, but at the moment, it's so hard to imagine House of Cards without Peter Russo. This was the character that I sympathized with the most and genuinely cared for, and I'm still in a numb state of shock over what happened to him. :(

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2014, 07:23:12 PM »
This show has an odd way of making you forget about certain characters within an episode or two.

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2014, 12:25:24 AM »
Just finished Season 2. Love the show to death but it's really lacking in substance. One of the most enjoyable shows I've ever watched but I can't call it a classic, really. Can't wait for season 3!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »
Finished season 2 yesterday, and it was awesome. Those last knocks on the president's desk was obe the coolest moments I've seen on any show.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2015, 02:25:26 PM »
Season 3 is released tomorrow guys! I am above and beyond excited for the return of my second favorite show of all time.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
Hooray! I work Sun-Thu, so this fits nicely with my weekend.  :corn

Offline faizoff

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
Finished it today morning, and thought it was good but not amazing. The vibe, tone and pace of this season seemed much different that the previous two. I still liked it but in the end ultimately felt like a long buildup to season four.

I thought the acting this time was fantastic esp Robin Wright, even though it felt like her character was all over the place. My guess is they'll wrap up the series with next season making 52 episodes(same number of cards in a deck)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: House Of Cards (Entire series on Netflix) - v.Season 3 (spoilers ahead)
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »
Just watched the first episode of S3. Interesting takes, but one thing I just gotta point out. Having the dude relapse by having the hooker shoot the bourbon into his mouth with a syringe was fucking spooky man, especially for this recovering drunk.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »
My guess is they'll wrap up the series with next season making 52 episodes(same number of cards in a deck)

That'd be clever

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »
I'm assuming Doug's mental effects just stopped? They were heavy on it for the first episode and they just kind of went away. I figured once they gave him pills for something like that, especially because of how serious it was, he was going to be getting those kinds of things for life.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »
Do they not mention that it could be periodic? So kind of unpredictable, which is how he progressed throughout the season...there were a few times he just snapped. And that last episode (if you know what I mean) may have been another mental bloop.