Author Topic: The BRUCE DICKINSON Discography v. Goodbye, Bruce  (Read 49214 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Discography v. OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:11 AM »
Never knew that, just checked Thunderburst, cool but Ides of March slays it.  I need to check Samson out still.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised by both the Di'Anno albums. Growing up in Australia, I was always a huge fan of The Angels (THIS one)

heh....I used to cover their song Marseilles....never thought I'd see them mentioned here  :omg:

Offline Hayden

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
heh....I used to cover their song Marseilles....never thought I'd see them mentioned here  :omg:

Well, I never expected another person here to know about them, since they're the furthest thing from prog you can get, and there's next to no Australians on this forum. But hey, here we are; it's a small music world.

I think Guns N' Roses used to cover "Marseilles" as well, by the way. So I guess that must've been their biggest hit in the States (or outside of Australia, for that matter).

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »
Never knew that, just checked Thunderburst, cool but Ides of March slays it.

Offline theseoafs

Re: The Iron Maiden Discography v. Dead Men Tell No Tales
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »
Anyway, while I'm here, I might as well drop the next album off.

THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST - 1982

1.   "Invaders"
2.   "Children of the Damned"
3.   "The Prisoner"
4.   "22 Acacia Avenue"
5.   "The Number of the Beast" 
6.   "Run to the Hills"
7.   "Gangland"
8.   "Total Eclipse" 
9.   "Hallowed Be Thy Name" 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:38:03 PM by theseoafs »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »
Short version: it's The Number of the Beast, what else do you need to say?

Long version: Bruce Dickinson's arrival isn't quite the last piece in the puzzle-that's when Nicko shows up-but Maiden is close to becoming Iron Maiden as we know them today. Murray and Smith are beginning to develop that telepathic link as a twin guitar team, Bruce's sheer talent brings a wider range of potential to the band's music-which really comes into play with the next album-and the rougher, punkier edges are being smoothed off, leaving a lean, sleek as hell metal machine. It's not perfect-Invaders is a bit messy and I never knew how Gangland made it with Total Eclipse as a b-side. I think some of the guys in the band themselves wonder why they did that today, in fact-but with the title track, Run to the Hills, and Hallowed Be Thy Name on it, it's definitely a classic metal album, and Children of the Damned, The Prisoner, and 22 Acacia Avenue are only a step behind those three tracks. I find I prefer Piece of Mind and Powerslave to it, but it's a seminal, defining moment in the history of metal. When it came out, you had a sense that Iron Maiden was going to be a special band, but I will admit I didn't see the quantum leap in songwriting that was about to come with Piece of Mind.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »
At the time it came out TNOTB was a great album, but for me suffered slightly from coming after Killers. The highs are huge but Gangland (Only DT's jazzversion can save this song at all) and Invaders drag it down a little.
Bruce was definitely a trade up- what a voice in those days.
And you can't beat seeing one of your favourite bands regularly on the shite-awful Top Of The Pops. The video to RTTH was funny, and another awesome cover to study in depth.
World domination was on its way.
It has its detractors but being there at the time was awesome.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »
Damn, this is going waaaaaaay too fast. I'll try to give it a listen tomorrow...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2013, 12:25:28 PM »
No big deal but shouldn't the OP present the next album?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
Damn, this is going waaaaaaay too fast. I'll try to give it a listen tomorrow...

No worries; we're going to dwell on this one, I think.

No big deal but shouldn't the OP present the next album?

Midterms are keeping me from spending any significant amount of time on this, including making a NOTB write-up.  I'll give my thoughts when I have the chance, but in the meantime I'm sure you guys will be able to make conversation.  Sorry about the confusion.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2013, 12:37:59 PM »
Like Jaq, I love those three tracks too. Hallowed might be my favorite IM tune of all time, but I'm not huge on Maiden, so that might change

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2013, 12:38:53 PM »
Midterms are keeping me from spending any significant amount of time on this, including making a NOTB write-up.  I'll give my thoughts when I have the chance, but in the meantime I'm sure you guys will be able to make conversation.  Sorry about the confusion.
:facepalm: :facepalm: at me for missing that you were the OP!  :blush

Carry on....
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
This is actually my favorite Iron Maiden album.  Every track on here slays.  But even to this day, Hallowed Be Thy Name sends shivers down my spine.

That just might be the greatest heavy metal song ever written. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »
TNOTB is a bottom-tier Maiden album, despite it's importance to both Maiden's development and heavy metal in general. Though Bruce was a great addition to the band, Number was the first time Maiden started going for all-out theatrics with their music on a regular basis. Some of these songs are great, while others are not.

I thought "Invaders" was awesome when I was younger, but I can't stand it now. It's just so cheesy. From this track, we basically learn that Bruce is a so-called "operatic" singer and, as we'll see later, he seems to also have an affinity for snarling the word "raping".

"Children of the Damned" is good, but uneventful. Kinda boring to the slower more pensive songs Maiden would do later.

"The Prisoner" is a little bit bland, but the chorus is awesome. The song has no right being 6:00 minutes, though.

"22 Acacia Avenue" is silly, but highly memorable. Some really good vocal melodies from Bruce, except they're ruined by how strained and flat his voice sounds.

"The Number of the Beast" is still great, and a one-of-a-kind song in Maiden's discography. The opening riff and scream are classic.

"Run to the Hills" wouldn't care if I never heard this song again. It's good, but it's overplayed. There's that "RAPING" again.

"Gangland" LOL. Forgettable song. Bruce sounds like he drank a carton of milk before singing the chorus. Special Note: DT's version is the only good one, though James sounds like HE's the one who downed the gallon of milk before singing the rest of that cover album.

"Total Eclipse" is a decent tune, but anything sounds good on the back of "Gangland". Once again, Bruce's vocals are wince inducing.

Finally, there's "Hallowed by Thy Name", the obvious rallying point. In a way, this song, and this song alone, justifies the direction Maiden decided to veer off into with Bruce. And thank God they did, because the next album is great. 

Overall, TNOBT is an incredibly mixed bag. Some good songs, some bad songs, and immature performances from Bruce that are both bad and somehow impressive at the same time. It's a short album, but drawn-out songs and a bad run toward the middle-end make it seem MUCH longer than it really is.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »
"Total Eclipse" is not from the original release of the album.   I don't know how many of you whipersnappers know that  :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
"Total Eclipse" is not from the original release of the album.   I don't know how many of you whipersnappers know that  :P
I had the 45.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »
Beast Over Hammersmith is an absolutely incredible live album, and every Maiden fan should listen to it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:11:32 PM by GuineaPig »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »
Bruce's vocals on TNOBT.

Even though I mentioned it my post above, I have to bring this up to be a more focused area of discussion, since it's always bothered me.

Is it just me, or does Bruce stink-up TNOBT? Sure, there are flashes of great singing. But mostly he sounds bad. Flat, and strained, like he's forcing every syllable out.

He does not sound this way on Piece of Mind. He DOES sound a little bit strained again on Powerslave, and on Live after Death, but for the most part his vocals otherwise on the next couple of studio albums are very good. I've never listened to Donington or a Real Live/Dead one, but I've always just assumed the vocals are Live After Death quality or worse.

Live counterparts to TNOTB songs on Live at Hammersmith sound way better than the studio versions vocally, IIRC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2013, 02:34:34 PM »
This is actually my favorite Iron Maiden album.  Every track on here slays.  But even to this day, Hallowed Be Thy Name sends shivers down my spine.

That just might be the greatest heavy metal song ever written. 

Not to take anything away from Hallowed Be Thy Name, but according to Rob Halford, this is actually the greatest heavy metal song ever written:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dlA25sqDvw

And, you know, Halford is a REALLY smart dude.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »
Really, Halford said that?  Cool, killer tune from Y&T.

TNOTB was my first maiden album and introduced me into the world of heavy metal.  I think the album is still top tier Maiden and IMO Bruce sounds great. 

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2013, 03:36:23 PM »
Is it just me, or does Bruce stink-up TNOBT? Sure, there are flashes of great singing. But mostly he sounds bad. Flat, and strained, like he's forcing every syllable out.

Are you talking about the album, or the song?  If it's the song, maybe I can see that -- the melody is a little unusual, and a little bit out of Bruce's comfort zone.  On the whole, though, I've never gotten that impression with Bruce.  I think he sounds excellent throughout the album.

WRT to the Y&T song: it's pretty nifty, but it doesn't even come close to touching Hallowed.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »
Invaders - Pretty fun song that sounds like it could have ended up on the first two albums. Personally I think this song gets way more shit than it deserves. I really quite like it, and one of the more underrated songs from the early Maiden days. Not a perfect song, but a good song that is pretty enjoyable.

Children of the Damned - This one has always been one of my favorites from the album. Slower and more calm, this song really shined with a catchy chorus and some great lyrics. One of the best on the album for sure, and I would rank it fairly high up among my favorite Maiden-songs.

The Prisoner - Another amazing song I've always felt is fairly underrated. This song starts off fairly low tempo but soon builds up into a faster pace and some very catchy hooks. The singing is great, the verses are nice and the chorus is really catchy. One of the best on the album.

22 Acacia Avenue - Pretty solid song. Would say it's "good but not great", but certainly a great follow-up to Charlotte the Harlot.

The Number of the Beast - Hard to really give a good opinion about it because it has been so overplayed over the years, on TV, on Radio, on their shows, etc. It's a classic for a reason, but not one of my favorite Maiden-tunes.

Run to the Hills - ^

Gangland - One of those songs that has never really clicked. As I'm listening now, I still think it's fairly solid. It's not bad or anything, but it's not one of those awesome songs either. Chorus is pretty catchy and I quite like it, but the rest hasn't stuck with me.

Hallowed Be Thy Name - Amazingly enough, I haven't gotten tired of this song. Despite being a classic I guess it hasn't had the same huge impact as TNOTB or Run to the Hills, but I still like the fact that the song is really enjoyable still. I think one of the best on the album, and one of the best songs the band did. Really amazing stuff.

The Album - This was never really among my favorite Maiden-albums, but I think it's a classic for a reason. Most of the album consists of very strong songs or classics, with less filler if you compare it to albums like the debut or Killers. Pretty darn solid album overall, and a good starting point if you want to check out the band.

Song-rankings:

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Children of the Damned
3. The Prisoner
4. Invaders
5. The Number of the Beast
6. Run to the Hills
7. 22 Acacia Avenue
8. Gangland

Invaders higher than most would rank it probably, the two classics are fairly low, but part of the reason is that I've heard them so much that they've lost some appeal.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »
Awesome album. My second favorite.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
This was the game-changer for Maiden, with Bruce arriving behind the mic, but while it is tremendously important to the band's career and probably even the development of heavy metal in general, this is also easily the weakest of the "classic" albums (NOTB -> SSOASS). Yeah, The Prisoner, Children of the Damned and Hallowed Be Thy Name are all awesome, but songs like Gangland or Run to the Hills just aren't capable of holding the album quite as high as those three tracks might suggest.

Small Hallowed Be Thy Name anecdote: I have never actually seen Maiden live, but in November, I was at a Trivium/As I Lay Dying show, including two opening acts, and between every act, there was some music coming from the speaking - a little quieter, but you could still make it out quite well. We got some awesome stuff that night that way - Creeping Death, Seasons in the Abyss, To Live Is To Die, Tornado of Souls, you know, the metal classics. Then, the room went pitch-black, before Trivium, the last act of the evening would come onstage and everyone expects them to start, but they don't. The whole room stays black and from the speakers, Hallowed Be Thy Name starts playing, as loud as if the band were actually playing it, and everyone was singing along! Nobody cared that it wasn't the real thing, everyone went fucking nuts and screamed out their hearts. One of my favourite concert moments, and while the rest of the evening was great, that just had so much magic to it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »
Really, Halford said that?  Cool, killer tune from Y&T.

Yup, he did.  :metal

Scorp:  Cool story.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »
Listen to any Maiden albums yet, boss?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »
I have to chime on 22 Acacia Avenue....

Cheesy lyrics aside...    The intro is really good, but fairly straightforward.

But there is just something about that riff that starts at 1:32.    I don't say that 22AA is one of the greatest *songs* IM ever wrote...because as a whole, it has it's flaws.    BUT THAT RIFF!!!   THAT RIFF is one of the coolest things I'VE EVER heard.     That riff is one of those riffs that is *SO F-ING GOOD* that when it starts, I don't even hear anything else in the song.   Bruce's vocals just become a background instrument.   

That is easily one of the coolest riffs in metal...period.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
I have to chime on 22 Acacia Avenue....

Cheesy lyrics aside...    The intro is really good, but fairly straightforward.

But there is just something about that riff that starts at 1:32.    I don't say that 22AA is one of the greatest *songs* IM ever wrote...because as a whole, it has it's flaws.    BUT THAT RIFF!!!   THAT RIFF is one of the coolest things I'VE EVER heard.     That riff is one of those riffs that is *SO F-ING GOOD* that when it starts, I don't even hear anything else in the song.   Bruce's vocals just become a background instrument.   

That is easily one of the coolest riffs in metal...period.

I was just getting ready to defend this song and then I seen this post and decided that my work had already been done.

22 is my favorite song from this album and this is probably the reason why.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2013, 11:52:48 PM »
One of my favorite Maiden albums. Maybe its because I'm still really in my infancy of Maiden listening compared to most but none of the classic songs from the album are overplayed for me (yes even Run to the Hills!)... I love every song on this one except Gangland and Total Eclipse which really are lacking.

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Children of the Damned
3. The Number of the Beast
4. The Prisoner
5. Run to the Hills
6. 22 Acacia Avenue
7. Invaders
8. Gangland
9. Total Eclipse
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:30:13 AM by WebRaider »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2013, 01:55:35 AM »
A very good album. Hallowed Be Thy Name is a sure milestone for its genre and The Number of the Beast is just fucking badass. The Prisoner is great, 22 Acacia Avenue is quite complex, but delicious and Total Eclipse is among the most underrated Maiden songs. Too bad that Gangland was on the original LP, it is overshadowed by all the other great tracks.

I don't really like the production on the album, it's a step back from Killers. Children of the Damned would be better with better production.

Ranking:
1.Hallowed Be Thy Name
2.The Number of the Beast
3.22 Acacia Avenue
4.The Prisoner
5.Invaders
6.Children of the Damned
7.Run to the Hills
8.Gangbang

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2013, 04:02:40 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised by both the Di'Anno albums. Growing up in Australia, I was always a huge fan of The Angels (THIS one), and when I first heard 'Iron Maiden' (and 'Killers' shortly after), I was struck by just how similar Di'Anno's vocals were to Doc Neeson's of The Angels.

Missed this.  Angels are spectacular.  Never thought about that but you are right, Dianno and Doc's vocals are similar.  Hopefully Doc can get through this brain tumor he has just been diagnosed with.

Also, sorry for derailing, but going back to the early days, I have always been a fan of the cover of Women in Uniform.  The original is by Aussie glam rocker, Skyhooks.  Here's the original;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb4AdU6rbFc

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2013, 04:24:46 AM »
My first Maiden album and probably one of my least favourite of them and that's mainly for the reasons Perpetual Change stated. I'm always baffled how often this album shows up on 'classic metal albums' lists and while I see it's been a very influential record towards Maiden's later career, the album in itself holds almost nothing to other 'classic metal albums' or Maiden's discography in general. Needless to say, I think it's incredibly overrated, but it's still not a *bad* album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline adace

« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2013, 05:02:00 AM »
There are some amazing songs, but also some ok ones. Pretty solid overall, but it still doesn't hold a candle to my favorite Maiden albums.

Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Prisoner
Run to the Hills
Children of the Damned
The Number of the Beast
22 Acacia Avenue
Invaders
Gangland
Total Eclipse

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2013, 06:46:34 AM »
Wow. I guess I am the only one who feels like Bruce sounds really strained and flat on TNOTB. Weird. Oh well.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2013, 07:00:47 AM »
Wow. I guess I am the only one who feels like Bruce sounds really strained and flat on TNOTB. Weird. Oh well.

For me he sounds great. Metal great.

Children Of The Damned is a top 10 maiden song for me.