Author Topic: The BRUCE DICKINSON Discography v. Goodbye, Bruce  (Read 49216 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: The Iron Maiden Discography v. Show Me Your Leg
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
Iron Maiden - The title track suffers from a problem the band had on some of the songs in their early days - repeating the same lyrics in verse and chorus three times.

Right, this is one of my beefs with the album songwriting-wise. The title track's lyrics were already a bit awkward, but it wouldn't be a huge problem if they weren't repeated three times over.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »
I really got into Maiden later in my musical journey although I was still young (I was listening to music frequently out of the gate as a child)... I think Seventh Son was the first album of Maiden that was out when I started really listening to the band and even with that I always liked the first two with Di'Anno singing (though I think most would agree Bruce was better for the band long term).

Like has been mentioned before the debut offers a lot of hints to their future while leaning more on the raw punk influences of that period. For a debut it was thankfully a quality release and it very steady throughout for me. One song I don't really care for (Sanctuary) and the rest for me are good to really good.

1. Remember Tomorrow
2. Phantom of the Opera
3. Strange World
4. Transylvania
5. Iron Maiden
6. Running Free
7. Charlotte the Harlot
8. Prowler
9. Sanctuary

Remember Tomorrow has long been a favorite standout of mine from the band because it just seems so different than other things the band has done.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:44:27 PM by WebRaider »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:29 AM »
Maiden should bring Remember Tomorrow back out.  The Real Live Dead version IMO is amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 03:49:51 AM »
Maiden should bring Remember Tomorrow back out.  The Real Live Dead version IMO is amazing.

I think Bruce butchers the song. I prefer Paul's version.

Phantom of the Opera on Live After Death, however, is magnificent.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 03:51:55 AM »
A Real Live Dead One would be my favourite version of the song.  Love what Janick brings to it too.

That Phantom live version is easily the best version, by miles and miles.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 03:53:22 AM »
That Phantom live version is easily the best version, by miles and miles.

I actually prefer the Beast over Hammersmith version, but LAD is frickin' stellar as well.

NOW YOU'RE RUNNING AND HIDING BUT YOU WON'T GET AWAY FROM MY GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASP :metal :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 04:19:08 AM »

I think Bruce butchers the song. I prefer Paul's version.

Phantom of the Opera on Live After Death, however, is magnificent.
At first i was like: Wait...Phantom Of the Opera on Live After Death? but you mean the CDs which i haven't heard so i'm looking forward to that!  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2013, 04:38:53 AM »
I never liked Iron Maiden (album) because it is too punky for me but I will give it a shot :)
SSOASS is my #1
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2013, 06:26:09 AM »
I bought this album after buying "Killers" when it was released.  I really loved "Killers" and couldn't stop listening to it.  Found out they actually had another album and literally ran to the record store and bought the LP.  This one and "Killers" would be the only two Maiden albums I would buy on vinyl as I got a new stereo for my 17th birthday in February of '81 and it had a cassette deck in it, so I started buying cassettes by the time NOtB would come out in March of '82.

Anyway, back to Iron Maiden......I liked the album quite a bit but not as much as the second one.  Paul Di'Anno was, to me, an amazing vocalist.  I thought his style suited the music perfectly.  And those guitars!   :omg:

I had a band back then, had been playing guitar since I was about 12 and we pretty much became an Iron Maiden covers band because that's all we'd ever play.  Such fun times!  I really wanted to see them live in '81 but my parents wouldn't let me drive to Boston by myself so I never got to see Di'Anno perform with them.  It's too bad he got caught up in the drugs and booze and got himself kicked out of the band.  Then again, Maiden may never have become the major player in the British Invasion of the 80's had they not run into Bruce Dickinson.

As for the production values of this album.......obviously, when it came out, listening to it on a $350 rack stereo system from Sears wasn't going to be a situation that would reveal any major sonic deficiencies.  :lol   With the benefit of hindsight, however, I would have to agree that the mix is not exactly great.  It's a bit dull sounding with the bass not really being low enough and the highs not really sparkling as they should, but given the era of the release I tend to just accept it for what it is.

I don't rank it very high in their full catalog, but they DO have few albums that I rank lower. 

I think it was a very good debut that showed great promise.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2013, 08:44:35 AM »
I had a band back then, had been playing guitar since I was about 12 and we pretty much became an Iron Maiden covers band because that's all we'd ever play.  Such fun times!  I really wanted to see them live in '81 but my parents wouldn't let me drive to Boston by myself so I never got to see Di'Anno perform with them.  It's too bad he got caught up in the drugs and booze and got himself kicked out of the band.  Then again, Maiden may never have become the major player in the British Invasion of the 80's had they not run into Bruce Dickinson.

Oh, I think that while Maiden would have easily been the most successful of the NWOBHM bands that stuck to metal-we can't count Def Leppard in this conversation, since they started running away from being a metal band as fast as humanly possible-with Di'Anno as vocalist I think they would have been just a little more successful than, say, Saxon was in the US. I'll discuss this more when we get to those albums, but the band's songwriting took a quantum leap upward between TNOTB and Piece of Mind, and arguably a larger leap between Piece and Powerslave, and I think it was the presence of Dickinson-both as a songwriter but especially as a vocalist with far more range than Di'Anno-that made the difference.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2013, 10:20:51 AM »
It looks like the discussion is heading in this way anyway, so I'll throw in the sophomore album so people can do their comparison with the first album, evaluation of the Di'Anno era, comparison with the Dickinson era, and the like. 

KILLERS - 1981

1.   "The Ides of March"
2.   "Wrathchild"
3.   "Murders in the Rue Morgue" 
4.   "Another Life"
5.   "Genghis Khan"
6.   "Innocent Exile"
7.   "Killers"
8.   "Prodigal Son"
9.   "Purgatory"
10.   "Twilight Zone"
11.   "Drifter" 

So, here we are -- the last album with Paul Di'Anno, and the first album with Adrian Smith. I think that Di'Anno was a great vocalist in his own right, so it's rather sad his substance abuse problems had to interfere with his membership in the band, though I do agree that Maiden wouldn't have been nearly as popular, especially in the States, if Bruce Dickinson had never come to the fold. In any case, I view Killers as the superior album of the Di'Anno era, with no track on the debut quite reaching the heights of "Wrathchild", "Murders in the Rue Morgue", "Killers", and the splendid ballad "Prodigal Son".

Offline Ruba

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »
I think this sums up the album:  :metal.

I don't really care about Drifter, but everything else is very good. Killers is one of the best songs they've written, and Paul is on fire in it. And Purgatory has some of their best guitar work.

Innocent Exile is always overlooked, it is almost progressive, and the fast section rocks. Clive throws out some of his best drumming. I also love The Ides of March, a great way to open album and has one of the best solos by Adrian.

Ranking:
1.Killers
2.Purgatory
3.Genghis Khan
4.The Ides of March
5.Innocent Exile
6.Wrathchild
7.Murders in the Rue Morgue
8.Another Life
9.Prodigal Son
10.Drifter

Twilight Zone is a pure filler. The main riff is cool, but that's pretty much only good thing in the song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
The Ides of March - Solid intro. Quite rare in the Maiden discography considering they haven't really done the whole "intro-song" (as a shorter song leading into the first 'real' song). This one is quite cool, it leads up into Wrathchild nicely, and I quite enjoy it more and more as it progresses.

Wrathchild - Classic Maiden-song. Despite how many times this one has been played over the years, I still like this one quite a lot. Some very catchy songs and considering the fairly short length, it's really nice.

Murders in the Rue Morgue - While it starts off pretty calm, it soon explodes with a lot of energy. This song is for me kinda like Prowler, a solid and catchy song, but it was never one of my favorites from the album.

Another Life - This song is solid but not much more. It's not a bad song or anything, it's just one of those songs that has never really clicked for me.

Genghis Khan - Another instrumental, and personally I've spent quite some time comparing it to Transylvania from the first album. I don't think this one is as good as that one, but it is a pretty good song. Fairly underrated I would say, cool stuff in it.

Innocent Exile - Feel kinda the same with this song like I do with Another Life. It's not a bad song, one of those solid songs that never really clicked. Has some cool stuff, some alright stuff.

Killers - Best song on the album without a doubt for me, and also a top10 Maiden-song I would say. I really wished more of the album was as epic as this song, because then I would like the album more probably. Still, a Maiden-classic and this song rules.

Prodigal Son - I feel a bit the same with this one like I do with Strange World from the debut. A song I really quite like, but it doesn't seem to be liked by many others, so underrated in that sense. Quite different musically from the other songs (at least parts of it), but I quite enjoy it.

Purgatory - Quite upbeat and fast song, lots of energy. One of the better songs on the album, and a very enjoyable song as a whole.

Drifter - This song didn't stand out that much until I heard the live version with Bruce, which sounded really sweet. This song has grown on me quite a bit since, and I think it's in the upper half of the album.

The Album - I don't think this is as good as the debut, but it is pretty good. Fewer songs have the "wow"-factor, but songs like Killers and Wrathchild are really awesome. I quite enjoy this album, but yeah, out of the Di'Anno albums I think the debut has stronger songs probably.

Song-ranking:
1. Killers
2. Wrathchild
3. Purgatory
4. Drifter
5. Prodigal Son
6. Genghis Khan
7. The Ides of March
8. Murders in the Rue Morgue
9. Innocent Exile
10. Another Life

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »
Compared to the debut this album has more filler songs imo but Killers, MITRM, Wrathchild, The Ides Of March, Purgatory, Genghis Khan weighs it up being an awesome album anyway.

1. Purgatory
2. Killers
3. Murders in the Rue Morgue
4. Genghis Khan
5. The Ides of March
6. Wrathchild
7. Another Life
8. Prodigal Son
(9. Twilight Zone)
10. Innocent Exile
11. Drifter

I can't express how much i love Purgatory, it's so simple but yet so full of energy and awesomness! 1:15- everytime i hear that part i wanna air drum so bad. I wished they would play this live!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline adace

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
I don't like Killers nearly as much as the debut, but it's still a good album.

1. Wrathchild
2. Murders in the Rue Morgue
3. Killers
4. Innocent Exile
5. Genghis Khan
6. Purgatory
7. The Ides of March
8. Prodigal Son
9. Another Life
10. Twilight Zone
11. Drifter

Offline jammindude

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 02:49:02 PM »
As much as I hate to go with the crowd, I'm forced to agree that I think the debut had stronger songs, and Killers (while having it's incredible moments) had more filler.

But I'm going to give it another spin tonight, because I haven't heard some of these songs in quite some time...and I seem to remember that every time I hear them, they're always better than I remember them being.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
Killers had more filler
You know you've had too much coffee when you start giggling to stuff like this :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
I'm on the other side of the debate. Killers is, imho, the vastly superior album of the Di'Anno era, with the title track being my favourite song recorded with Di'Anno (yes, higher than POTO). Other tracks like Prodigal Son, Purgatory and Wrathchild seal the deal for me, but I don't regard any of this filler all the same - I can listen to any track on this album and it rocks.

I also loved how the songwriting matured, I guess that's Adrian's influence shining through.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »
Am I the first person to mention the arrival of Martin Birch in the producer's chair?

Gonna talk about it even if I'm not. Birch was pretty much the sixth member of Iron Maiden during their glory days, and there are few combinations where the band and the producer worked together so perfectly as Maiden and Birch. Killers finds Maiden still fitting the pieces together-one's still to come, and Dave Murray and Adrian Smith haven't quite developed their telepathic link and become the finest twin guitar team in the history of heavy metal-but it's coming. That being said, I like the debut better than Killers. Killers has a bit more filler than the debut, and it is still a bit raw and punky in parts-Maiden was still shedding that rougher sound as late as Invaders on NOTB-but it's a solid album and a worthy follow up to the debut.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
Killers is my favourite Maiden album. better production than the debut, better songs, better cover.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2013, 04:21:44 PM »
Killers is the black sheep of Maiden's catalog IMO.  It has great songs and is a good listen but there is just something different to everything else they have done.  It's my least fav Maiden album, but saying that it's stronger than a lot of bands best work out there.

Love Prodigal Son, Murders, Khan, and the amazing underrated Purgatory.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
better cover.
Ah yea that's a whole new discussion right there, the covers is and always will be an important factor in Maidens history atleast Derek Riggs covers and i fully believe that the LP version is the only format making the covers any justice! It was always fun trying find Dereks stamp.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:48 AM »
I was afraid I would be alone in feeling Killers is a step below the debut overall but it seems I'm not. It's another very good effort I just feel there are more songs on the debut that are classic Maiden tunes for me. Having said that Killers and Wrathchild are just awesome!

It feels like the MUSIC on the second album was definitely headed down the road we were soon to know Maiden for and in my opinion it seems obvious on several of the songs on this album that Di'Anno didn't exactly fit for where the band wanted to take their music later on. It's good but I think Di'Anno was a better fit for the songs of the debut.

1. Killers
2. Wrathchild
3. Prodigal Son
4. Murders in the Rue Morgue
5. The Ides of March
6. Genghis Khan
7. Purgatory
8. Drifter
9. Innocent Exile
10. Another Life
11. Twilight Zone

Offline Ruba

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2013, 02:09:04 AM »
Yeah the cover is great. There is one nugget, if you look closely, related to Iron Maiden gigs.

SPOILER ALERT!

Ruskin Arms

Online Mladen

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2013, 06:19:13 AM »
The songs on Killers are good, but I get the impression that the band was rushed to have their second album released as soon as possible, which probably effected the songwriting. It's also a known fact that some of the songs that weren't good enough for their debut ended up here. Given that, some of these tracks certainly are great. The production needs to be mentioned as well, since I think Martin Birch did a brilliant job. Also, welcome aboard, Adrian Smith - he didn't write any song yet, but you can already feel the magic in his guitar solos here.

The Ides of March - Terrific melodies and a fantastic short opener that sets the mood for the rest of the album perfectly.

Wrathchild - The hit from the album, present in the concerts to this day. Just a great song.

Murders in the rue morgue - Probably my favorite song on the album. Fast, melodic, with great dark lyrics. Most of the lyrics on the album are pretty dark, though.

Another life - Extremely repetitive, but still fairly enjoyable.

Genghis Khan - Better than Transylvania - yeah, I went there. It's very wild and progressive in the first two minutes, before some of the most beautiful, delay-driven guitar harmonies in their entire career kick in.

Innocent exile - I love the groove in this song, it gives me a strong Thin Lizzy vibe in some sections. Incredible bass playing.

Killers - Truly a classic, and if I'm not mistaken the first Iron Maiden song to feature what happened to be a trademark of theirs: a gallop. Di'Anno shines, belting out those lyrics like crazy.

Prodigal son - I was never too crazy about this song, mostly because the chord progression doesn't to a whole lot to me. They have better ballads, but it's still solid.

Purgatory - The fastest and heaviest song on the record, but still very melodic with a memorable and catchy chorus.

Twilight zone - This was a B-side for a reason. It's just a fine song.

Drifter - I love how the riff sounds sinister and dark when it begins, but then drums kick in and suddenly we have this groovy, almost rock and roll song. One of my favorites on the album.

The album has its highlights and a couple of classics, but overall, it isn't as remarkably strong as their other 80s releases in my opinion. I don't return to it very often, I have to admit. 8.5/10

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2013, 07:11:50 AM »
Huge Maiden fan, will definitely be following this. Right from the get-go, the band was writing timeless classics like POTO which I still consider a Maiden Top 10 song (especially the Live After Death version). As a proud "get off my lawn" type of guy, I need to mention that the brilliance of the album covers and sleeves would be totally lost on today's digitized generation.  :'(

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2013, 07:15:25 AM »
Huge Maiden fan, will definitely be following this. Right from the get-go, the band was writing timeless classics like POTO which I still consider a Maiden Top 10 song (especially the Live After Death version). As a proud "get off my lawn" type of guy, I need to mention that the brilliance of the album covers and sleeves would be totally lost on today's digitized generation.  :'(
I don't think so - there's plenty of us who drool over detailed album covers on vinyls, believe me :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Mladen

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2013, 07:49:16 AM »
Also, theseoafs, you might wanna edit the thread title.  :smiley:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2013, 08:14:02 AM »
Well, I'm gonna have to make some better contributions to this thread.

First off, I almost never listen to Maiden's first two albums. Maiden's just not the same without Bruce, and honestly I'll take even Blaze era over Paul Dianno.

But listening to them again, I have to admit that they're not all that bad. Actually, I'd say both albums are better than TNOTB, which I believe to be overated in the extreme. Both are also better than Fear of the Dark and No Prayer, two of the worst Bruce albums.

As an interesting aside, an increasingly greater number metal purists seem to prefer Paul to Bruce these days. I can't understand why, but I do have an idea: Under Bruce, Iron Maiden defined what heavy metal was, expanding it by leaps and bounds first. They brought theatrics and complexity into metal, as well as the expectation of technical proficiency in all areas. Lyrically, Bruce brought his passion for history, philosophy, and religion to the table, which greatly complimented Steve Harris' horror-themed stuff. This new type of hard rock that was not only more lyrically sophisticated but also very theatrical and (later) symphonic set the framework for most of the heavy metal in the 90's and much in the 00's. Without Iron Maiden's musical and lyrical influences, it's hard to imagine Power Metal, Symphonic Metal, Progressive Metal, and the various other forms which gained traction during the last two decades. Unfortunately, those forms all stem from what Maiden did after they got Bruce, and those forms are also what silly metal purists like more and more to reject.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Offline theseoafs

Re: The Iron Maiden Discography v. OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »
@Mladen: Whoops! Fixed. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2013, 08:33:48 AM »
sorry Late to the Party...but need to go back to the first album

I was standing in a local record store ( yes it was many moons ago...) and as some of the old fogies can attest they actually used to have a turntable where the clerks would play whatever they felt like in the store, they usually had a small stand somewhere near the turntable where they displayed the album cover

As i was flipping through the bins browsing all of a sudden I hear the most incredible music I have ever heard . I look up as the clerk was placing the album cover on the stand and I was taken back my the sight of this obvious decayed body . I asked the clerk who the hell were these guys...he said he wasn't really familiar with them that the album had only come in a few days before but he couldn't stop playing it.

That began my love affair with IM, unfortuaneatly by the time Somewhere in Time ...came around I was starting to listen to the entire Thrash movement and got heavily enduldged in it.  I later went back and filled out my Maiden catalogue, but the sameness of the music and songs (I know this is what makes Maiden unique) just never grabbed my attention the way the early albums did
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline 425

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »
Both the Di'Anno albums are very strong, though the band would certainly reach far greater heights later. I think I have to say that Killers is ever so slightly the better album. The "filler" in terms of the last track made for the album is actually Genghis Khan, which turned out to be one of the highlights. The worst song on any pressing I think has to be Twilight Zone, though Prodigal Son drags a bit. I think they should do a little less Sanctuary and Running Free and a little more Drifter as a set closer these days, especially because I want to have a chance to yo yo yo. Even without the yos, though, I think it is the best song out of the three and deserves more recognition. Excellent Di'Anno vocals. Before I get carried away, I'll do a quick song-by-song.

The Ides of March - Is it possible that this was one of the earliest instances of "short instrumental at the beginning of the album" that has been used so many times since (The Hellion on Screaming for Vengeance, Into the Lungs of Hell on So Far, So Good... So What?, Dialectic Chaos on Endgame)? In any case, brilliant song and probably my favorite of the album's two instrumentals. I love how they got both guitarists playing solos in there. Perfect intro to the record.

Wrathchild - One of Harris' first compositions, and still holds its own against later Maiden songs. Great bass (well, you can say that about any Maiden song), and I just LOVE that moment when Di'Anno or later Dickinson (or Bayley) screams before the second verse. Absolutely full of energy.

Murders In the Rue Morgue - Lovely melodic intro goes into a very fast-paced and almost frantic-sounding song. One of the highlights on the album. Only major complaint: It seems like Bruce never learned the lyrics to it, so every performance of the song with him just repeats various fragmented parts of the lyrics.

Another Life - Best song of the Harris "hey, let's repeat these verses three times" school. Some great guitar work by Smith and Murray, and Clive Burr on those drums! In the earlier days they did used to have Clive play a drum solo in the midddle of the song. Check it out on the footage of the band at The Ruskin Arms in 1979 on The Early Days DVD

Genghis Khan - As stated, the lesser instrumental but still a highlight. Can you believe that this was written to fill up space on the record?

Innocent Exile - This one seems to be a pretty mundane track, and maybe it is in the context of the album, but listen to it on its own and it shines! Harris is obviously the star of this track, but it does have that kind of groove that they only ever did with Clive on the drums.

Killers - The title track does not disappoint. Some of Di'Anno's best vocals.

Prodigal Son - As I said, drags a bit, but it's a decent ballad.

Purgatory - Another very fast, daring track. It is not surprising that this album heavily influenced the thrash bands.

Twilight Zone - Awesome riff, and every Dave Murray song must be treasured because they're rather rare, but unfortunately it doesn't really go anywhere and probably is worst on the album.

Drifter - See above.

Quick comment on the debut, since I missed that one: Phantom of the Opera and Remember Tomorrow are classics, Strange World is an unusual Maiden song but is very good and Transylvania may be the best of the instrumentals. Running Free and Sanctuary are good in their own right but pale in comparison to later Maiden songs, and both are far better live than in the studio. Charlotte is underrated but not really a classic; I do love the way Di'Anno's "cause you're making..." runs into Davey's solo. Prowler is a good opener and though the lyrics are juvenile, there have been worse lyrics in that department ("Moving my hips in a circular way..." (Whoever finishes that line and can name the source without cheating gets a cookie)).

Iron Maiden the song is the worst on the debut. I think it may be the worst song Maiden released until Fear of the Dark brought the gift of Chains of Misery, The Apparition and Weekend Warrior. Well, maybe not if you count Mission From 'Arry (another cookie for whoever quotes the iconic line from this recording without cheating). Still, played live, Iron Maiden rocks. Sure, it's not the most cleverly constructed song there's ever been. Sure, the lyrics aren't great and they consist of the same puns repeated three times. But go to a Maiden show and see if that matters to you then. You'll be singing right along about how Iron Maiden's gonna get you no matter how far. As anyone at who has been to a Maiden show will attest, this isn't a song. It's an event. Especially as it heralds the coming of Eddie. So, yeah, the studio version isn't that great, but live the song is killer, and I'm glad that they'll never stop playing it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Hayden

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised by both the Di'Anno albums. Growing up in Australia, I was always a huge fan of The Angels (THIS one), and when I first heard 'Iron Maiden' (and 'Killers' shortly after), I was struck by just how similar Di'Anno's vocals were to Doc Neeson's of The Angels. So, for me personally, early Maiden was almost like listening to a heavier, more diverse incarnation of The Angels, and I gotta say that I quite liked it.

But, with that being said, I've never been a huge fan of 'Iron Maiden' and 'Killers', as far as the material goes. When compared to the rest of the band's material, I just find it a little flat, and a little lacking in dynamics. The music entertains me, but doesn't excite me. I respect the albums, though; I do understand why they're so adored and highly regarded among fans. But I'm afraid that no amount of respect can make me enjoy these albums in the same way I enjoy Iron Maiden's later material.

When I think of 'Iron Maiden' and 'Killers', I think of two albums that display the modest beginnings of one of my favourite bands, and depict the first stage of the band's own 'evolutionary process'. I more own these albums for collection's sake, rather than listening pleasure. Because, aside from a few choice cuts - "Remember Tomorrow", "Running Free", "Purgatory", "Genghis Khan", the second half of "Innocent Exile", and maybe, maybe "Phantom of the Opera", "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "Prowler" - there isn't much else of interest to me, and there are moments on the albums where I simply zone out, as a result of hearing consecutive songs that are bereft of any unique, distinguishing qualities.

Overall, I consider the Di'Anno albums to be the equivalent of Motörhead's first handful of albums. They're good albums, yes, but they're still reflective of a band trying to find their feet. It was only after this period that the band actually started becoming interesting. And I don't mean any of this as an insult; to me, this is just how it is: 'Iron Maiden' and 'Killers' were an admirable beginning, but largely uninteresting. However, aside from all that, they are very important albums, because they laid all of the groundwork for what would eventually grow into the Iron Maiden that the world knows today. All the qualities were there - the speed, the theatrics, the disguised complexity, the general subject matter/lyrical content, etc. All of these traits can be found on these early albums, in their infancy. 'Iron Maiden' and 'Killers' were the early works of a band that would later move onto bigger things, but their influence on the band would remain.

So, overall:
- The Di'Anno albums were an important part of the band's history.
- They were an admirable attempt for a band starting out.
- Are they all that great on their own merits, context aside? Not really; aside from a few highlights, the albums' content is largely just 'okay'.
- Would I / do I return to them for my own listening pleasure? No.
- Are they Iron Maiden's worst albums? No.
- Would I concede that the albums are probably better than I give them credit for? Yes, but I was merely stating my opinions and perspective.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »
Someone that's more familiar with the early 80's british invasion bands will have to clarify this, but I used to play in a band with another guy that was a huge maiden fan and he played me a song from an album from one of the other british bands of the time. It was The Ides of March note for note except for the guitar solos. I'm not sure, but he told me that the song pre-dated Killers being released.

Does anyone else know about this?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Mladen

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2013, 02:33:19 AM »
It's Thunderburst from Samson's album Head on. The band features Thunderstick on drums, who used to play in Maiden. During that time, Steve and him wrote what would become The Ides of March and Thunderburst. The difference is, Steve Harris is credited on that Samson album as a co-writer of Thunderburst, but Thunderstick isn't credited on Killers.

Also, gotta agree with 425, I'd love to see Drifter as a concert closer.  :metal