Author Topic: The BRUCE DICKINSON Discography v. Goodbye, Bruce  (Read 49221 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The Iron Maiden Discography v. In a Time when Dinosaurs Roamed the Earth
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »
I have to say, this album sounded better to me now than it ever has. Every song kicks ass, even the lesser ones. And of course, The Trooper.

I've always liked that To Tame A Land kind of foreshadows the music on Powerslave, with it's middle eastern/Egyptian vibe. I've always thought the music, and especially the cover art (especially the 80s ones) kind of told this story about Eddie, who dies on Piece of Mind, is dead on Powerslave and seen as a great Egyptian Pharaoh, and while dead moves through time in some supernatural way in Somewhere In Time, enters this 'other world' on SSOASS, and then comes back to life on No Prayer For The Dying.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:27:13 PM by darkshade »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »
Personally, it is PoM and not NotB that I think of as the most overrated of the 'classic era albums.'  It does have some great songs but the quality is just all over the place for me. 

Where Eagles Dare is a pretty great opener.  An epic song to kick off the album with, even if the rest doesn't quite live up to it.

Revelations I know a lot of people love, love, love but I've never seen it as anything more than a good song. Not much more to say about this.

Flight Of Icarus is a great song and one of my favorites from the album.

Die With Your Boots On is utterly pedestrian (maybe not Gangland pedestrian, but not much better) and mostly just forgettable.  The chorus is pretty awful too.

The Trooper may be the popular song on the album, but it's popular for a reason.  It might be my favorite on the album.  It's catchy, memorable, fun and just all-around great.  It's certainly a better popular song than Run To The Hills, not that that's a bad song but anyways...

Quest for Fire is awful and nothing on NotB (or many other Maiden albums) comes quite close to its abysmalness.

Still Life is just kinda... there, I like it when I listen to it, but beyond that, I couldn't specify a single, memorable thing about the song.  It almost immediately fades from my brain. It's almost similar to Total Eclipse from NotB in that way, although I think I like Total Eclipse a bit more.

Sun and Steel Like Revelations, my opinions on this run contrary to most Maiden fans, who seem to view this as weak or filler.  I think it's a fun, catchy song.  It's short and never boring.

To Tame A Land is a good song, but it's never clicked with me like the other album-closing epics that Maiden did during their classic albums.  I enjoy Hallowed and Rime much more and TTaL is probably on a similar level to Alexander The Great, good but not great.

My ranking:
1. The Trooper
2. Where Eagles Dare (this could switch with The Trooper depending on my mood)
3. Flight of Icarus
4. Revelations
5. Sun and Steel
6. To Tame A Land
7. Still Life
8. Die With Your Boots On
9. Quest for Fire

This was also the first Maiden album I owned, legally, and while I enjoyed a lot of the songs on the Greatest Hits album I 'acquired' beforehand, this took a long time to click with me.  If it wasn't for getting Number of the Beast and Powerslave right after, I might not have become a big Maiden fan.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2013, 03:23:32 PM »
Killer album, very raw, no bullshit, no frills, just a bunch of rocking songs.  Lots of highlights here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2013, 10:00:17 AM »
I have to say, this album sounded better to me now than it ever has. Every song kicks ass, even the lesser ones. And of course, The Trooper.

I've always liked that To Tame A Land kind of foreshadows the music on Powerslave, with it's middle eastern/Egyptian vibe. I've always thought the music, and especially the cover art (especially the 80s ones) kind of told this story about Eddie, who dies on Piece of Mind, is dead on Powerslave and seen as a great Egyptian Pharaoh, and while dead moves through time in some supernatural way in Somewhere In Time, enters this 'other world' on SSOASS, and then comes back to life on No Prayer For The Dying.

Even when PoM came out, I heard widespread belief that the album covers were telling a story as they went.   

The first album was his escape from the asylum.   Killers is him back on the loose again.   NotB is his decent into madness, and PoM is his recapture.   

And don't forget that between PS and SiT there was the live album this depicts him coming back to life before he then begins to travel through time...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »
An even bigger step up from The Number of the beast - Bruce is fully unleashed, both vocally and lyrically, and I have to agree with PC that he obviously had a huge impact on the rest of the guys in the band. The album also marks the debut for Nicko McBrain, who truly delivers an impressive performance, he's a very unique drummer.

Where eagles dare - The instrumental section can get tedious, but the song certainly isn't without its strengths. The intro is one the most famous Maiden moments and Bruce hits some impressive notes, which makes the song still pretty cool overall.

Revelations - Bruce steps up to the plate and writes some incredible lyrics, it's brilliant how this is the first song for which he got credit. It's extremely progressive and the guitars are all over the place.

Flight of Icarus - The lyrics tell a classic story that comes alive through Bruce's spectacular singing, the chorus is particularly huge. I also need to mention the beginning to Adrian's solo: gorgeous notes in the right place, nobody does it like Adrian.

Die with your boots on - Nothing about this song really stands out, and there are certain parts I don't enjoy very much. It's not a bad song by any means, just the one I'm very likely to skip when listening to the album.

The Trooper - The studio version sounds too slow compared to the live performances, but it's still highly enjoyable and a true Maiden anthem.

Still life - Once again, Bruce makes a story come alive, and quite a scary story it is. This has to be one of my all time favorite Iron Maiden songs. I bet Nicko loved it as well, because at the very end you can hear him saying ''Yeah! That was fucking great!''

Quest for fire - I don't know if the album really needed this song, but the guys apparently liked it enough to include it. It doesn't do a lot for me musically, not to mention lyrically.

Sun and steel - This was one of the first Iron Maiden tracks I honestly loved, and I still have a soft spot for it. The chorus is infectious and the guitar harmony is very memorable.

To tame a land - Groundbreaking chord progressions and key changes, obscure arrangement,  over-the-top guitar harmonies, chilling vocal melodies, tremendous bass lines - Maiden hardly gets better than this. My favorite on the album and my 2nd favorite Maiden song. I was delighted when DT covered it.

The band was just getting better and better - Piece of mind indicated that thee of their best records are yet to be created. 9/10

Offline darkshade

« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »

Even when PoM came out, I heard widespread belief that the album covers were telling a story as they went.   

The first album was his escape from the asylum.   Killers is him back on the loose again.   NotB is his decent into madness, and PoM is his recapture.   

And don't forget that between PS and SiT there was the live album this depicts him coming back to life before he then begins to travel through time...

Ohhhh I forgot all about Live After Death!!! So I guess he dies again in SSOASS. I picture that album is he becomes like an all powerful genie or something, is defeated, but then returns from the dead in NPFTD.

Then he becomes a tree in FOTD.

Offline 425

Re: The Iron Maiden Discography v. Dead Men Tell No Tales
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »
Hey 425, you seem pretty knowledgeable on Maiden - which of Janick's solos in HBTN would you say is the definitive one?

Sorry for not getting back to this, I generally am very busy on weekdays. As far as official versions I would say to go with Rock In Rio. The whole band was on fire that night and Dave put a different spin on his solo as well before turning it over to Janick who just perfectly captured the frantic mood that I expect from a Janick Gers Hallowed solo. En Vivo! is almost equally as good. Failing those, he plays it very differently from the original on Flight 666, but it is also well played. Note that these are post reunion - it is a bit of trivia I think that Janick kept the solo for Hallowed even after Adrian's return. In fact, he played a number of Adrain solos post reunion: Hallowed, Revelations and Heaven Can Wait. Also, The Trooper and The Evil That Men Do (if I'm remembering correctly) feature simultaneous Smith and Gers playing, which is also quite impressive, check this out on Rock In Rio or En Vivo!.

As for Piece of Mind: One of my top 4 Maiden albums, probably #3 (we haven't gotten to the others later so I'll state them as we get to them). Quest for Fire is nowhere near as bad as everyone says and only pulls the album down a small amount. And Sun and Steel is amazing, don't know why anyone has anything mean to say about that one.

Where Eagles Dare - Mr. McBrain announces his presence with authority and then off into that incredible riff! That incredible, adventurous riff! This song has some of the most irresistibly catchy vocal melodies as well as excellent lyrics that Bruce never seems to remember. The instrumental section is similarly brilliant, with Murray's playing in particular a highlight and those guns in the background.

Revelations - The best song written solely by Bruce and a highlight on this album. Though it clings to a only couple of riffs, it uses them brilliantly. Harris's bass during the quiet verses is notably good as a melodic instrument, but the real star on this track is the songwriter, Mr. Dickinson himself. Now, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what he's singing about and have yet to see a totally satisfactory interpretation. But whatever it is, he belts it out with a passion! The little gasp in "I watched her and I waited for the dawn" is one of those orgasmic moments in music, as is "Los Angeles, can you feel it?" Well, I wasn't alive in 1985 and I've never been to Los Angeles, but yes, Bruce, I can feel it.

Flight of Icarus - Never underestimate a four minute Maiden song. Never. And this is IMO the best in that category. Unfortunately they don't play it live anymore due to a dispute over tempo (Nicko and Steve want it fast like on Live After Death, Bruce and Adrian want it slow like in the studio) (I prefer the slow version). This song is a great example of imagery through music and lyrics: Bruce does it in the verses with lines like "The crowd breaks and a young boy appears" and Dave does it on the concluding solo. Try listening to that solo and imagining Icarus frantically flapping his flaming wings before falling into the sea.

Die With Your Boots On - Rather unremarkable as compared to a lot of other Maiden songs, but it's very catchy and I love the last chorus when Bruce says "if you're gonna try try then just stick around", with the "try" twice.

The Trooper - I've never been as enamored with this song as others seem to be. It's surely a brilliant and tightly constructed song, and maybe the best illustration of the Maiden gallop and Harris's skills as a bassist, but I certainly don't find it to be the best on the album, or even above the middle of the album.

Still Life - A Dave Murray song is a special treasure because they come along so rarely and we need to hold onto each one and give it eternal love. Which may sound weird to say about one of the most haunting songs ever, but I said it anyway. Dave's subtle guitar playing and Bruce's similarly atmospheric vocals give this one its mood. "Hand in hand and we'll jump right down into that pool/Can't you see, not just me they want you too/Oh, we'll drown together, it will be forever"

Quest for Fire - Ignore the lyrics for a minute. No, humans and dinosaurs did not live at the same time. Get over it. Now listen to the bass playing. Brilliant right? Now listen to that solo section. Don't listen to the vocals on the chorus, listen to the vocals on the verses ("... the land was swamp and caves WERE HOME!"). Sure, it's the worst on the album, but not the worst in the catalog by any stretch of the imagination, and most other bands would be proud to have Quest for Fire in theirs. Also, at one point Dave said that this was his favorite of his solos.

Sun and Steel - One time while we were listening to this song, my non-metal listening father mentioned to me that he liked this band because they always sounded passionate and like they were enjoying themselves. I think of this now every time I hear this song and he's absolutely right. I think this song is just an average 80s Maiden track, but certainly not a filler, and I thought it was cool how he picked that out of what most would consider a subpar track in the catalog.

To Tame a Land - Just a gorgeous song. At first, it feels a bit off-puting compared to other Maiden epics, but it really is on par with all the rest. Just pick one bit of brilliance, the "he has the power to make it all end" going into the solo section. Great bit of music.

1. Revelations
2. To Tame a Land
3. Flight of Icarus
4. Still Life
5. Where Eagles Dare
6. Die With Your Boots On
7. The Trooper
8. Sun and Steel
9. Quest for Fire
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
Never underestimate a four minute Maiden song. Never.
Amen bro :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline 425

« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »
That's what I miss on their recent releases. Though they are some of the best albums of their career, they just don't seem to be that interested in writing a high number of great, short songs anymore. It's not like they can't; The Alchemist is brilliant IMO.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jammindude

« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2013, 09:18:29 AM »

Ohhhh I forgot all about Live After Death!!! So I guess he dies again in SSOASS. I picture that album is he becomes like an all powerful genie or something, is defeated, but then returns from the dead in NPFTD.

Then he becomes a tree in FOTD.

Harder for me to see a theme after SiT...but I feel pretty confident that the running theme ended at some point.   Probably when Riggs stopped doing the covers.   Maybe even before.  Maybe he got sick of coming up with the next part in the story and just said, "F it, I'm just going to draw cool pictures."
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2013, 10:17:02 AM »
The theme ends at Seventh Son. If you notice, every change to Eddie made-his lobotomy, the cybernetic enhancements-are visible on the cover art of Seventh Son. His lobotomy scar is visible under the cyborg enhancements on SiT, and he retains the cybernetic enhancements and the top of his head is removed at the lobotomy scar on Seventh Son. No Prayer For The Dying is a fairly generic Eddie grabbing someone from a grave. I doubt there's a story line for the covers, especially since NotB was meant to be a single cover and became instead the album cover.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »
The theme ends at Seventh Son. If you notice, every change to Eddie made-his lobotomy, the cybernetic enhancements-are visible on the cover art of Seventh Son. His lobotomy scar is visible under the cyborg enhancements on SiT, and he retains the cybernetic enhancements and the top of his head is removed at the lobotomy scar on Seventh Son. No Prayer For The Dying is a fairly generic Eddie grabbing someone from a grave. I doubt there's a story line for the covers, especially since NotB was meant to be a single cover and became instead the album cover.
You learn something every day.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
It helps that I owned them on vinyl and could more easily see the details.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline adace

« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »
My favorite Maiden album we've discussed so far.

The Trooper
Flight of Icarus
Where Eagles Dare
To Tame a Land
Revelations
Die With Your Boots On
Quest for Fire
Still Life
Sun and Steel

Offline masterthes

« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »
I happen to like Number of the Beast a tad more

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2013, 05:23:51 PM »
Love this album as well. Though I'm still at a point with Maiden that I have a hard time really ranking albums overall this is another that is up there. Lots of songs I really enjoy but I'm sorry people, "Quest for Fire" is just horrid IMO. It really pulled my opinion of the album down a lot even with the majority of the rest of the album being pretty awesome.

"Sun and Steel" is pretty meh for me as well and to pair them near the end of the album kind of hurts it. "To Tame a Land" is quite a cool song but by the time I get to it I seem to always feel bummed after the spectacular start to the record, that the two songs before it really kind of kill the vibe. Regardless of that its still a damn good album.  :metal

1. Where Eagles Dare
2. The Trooper
3. Flight of Icarus
4. Revelations
5. To Tame A Land
6. Still Life
7. Die With Your Boots On
8. Sun and Steel

9. Quest for Fire

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
The vocals in Quest of Fire are absolutely hilarious. Love it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
Quest for Fire has some of Bruce's highest ever recorded notes.  My ranking;

Where Eagles Dare
To Tame A Land
Still Life
The Trooper
Revelations
Quest For Fire
Die With Your Boots On
Sun and Steel
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »
That's would be my ranking almost exactly. Maybe squeeze Revelations in between Eagles and Tame

Offline Hayden

« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2013, 06:18:35 AM »
'Piece of Mind' is really the point where Iron Maiden actually became Iron Maiden - the larger-than-life entity; the theatrical, epic, progressive, proficient, and intelligent metal powerhouse that (in my eyes, at least) stood unrivaled as the champions of the genre. Like Jaq said, this album was a quantum leap from it's predecessor; they'd come a long way from the tenacious punk band they were on the first two - maybe three - releases. And I think Perpetual Change was right on the money when he attributed this transformation to Bruce Dickinson's influence. It's doesn't take long for one to tell that Bruce is (and was) a well-read, smart, intelligent, charismatic, and... well, cultured guy (not to mention, creative - but that goes without saying). And it was his personality (his essence, if you will) that had obviously permeated Iron Maiden as a band, and made such an impact on their direction. This album was articulate (both musically and lyrically), it was smart, it was diverse, and it was adventurous. Overall, it was simply head-and-shoulders above 'The Number of the Beast'. It wasn't a perfect album, but it's probably one of Maiden's better albums, and was most certainly their best album up until that point.

As far as highlights go, "To Tame a Land" really was the centrepiece of the album, featuring all the elements that made the album so strong, but condensed into one 7-minute piece; every superlative I used in my previous paragraph can be applied to this single song as well. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that this song was only penned by one guy, but hey, it seems to be something that Harris is able to do consistently. And, along with "When the Wild Wind Blows", "Powerslave", "For the Greater Good of God and "Blood Brothers, it's one of his strongest, and is also the album's finest moment. But, while it is the best song on the album, it doesn't win that spot easily; it's very closely followed by "Revelations" and "Still Life", which are both just marvelous. I really love the riff of "Still Life", especially in the quiet intro, when it's at its most prominent.

"The Flight of Icarus" is simply epic, and finishes very strongly. The scream at the end also rivals the iconic scream in the opening moments of "The Number of the Beast" (the song itself trumps "TNotB" in every way possible, though). "The Trooper" is also another great song, but probably doesn't deserve all of the praise it gets. "Where Eagles Dare" is another solid track, with memorable qualities and strong songwriting. "Die With Your Boots" is almost as good, but falls short due to the poor direction that the chorus takes; it starts off promisingly, but it sounds to me like they didn't really know what they wanted to do with it. They obviously wanted to write a chorus with the words "Die with your boots on if you're gonna die...", but didn't have any good ideas on what to write after that. So, we're left with a sub-par chorus. Oh well.

And while I want to like every song on this album, there's unfortunately a couple on here which just aren't great. "Sun and Steel" is pretty much the very definition of 'filler', and doesn't really excite me at all. Still, it's better than the majority of the material on 'The Number of the Beast'. And then there's "Quest for Fire", and there's no point me saying anything about this track, because every criticism for it has already been said, and let's just say that I agree with them all.

Anyway, here's my personal ranking. No real surprises; it's quite a safe, standard list:

1. "To Tame a Land"
2. "Still Life"
3. "Revelations"
4. "Flight of Icarus"
5. "The Trooper"
6. "Where Eagles Dare"
7. "Die With Your Boots On"
8. "Sun and Steel"
9. "Quest for Fire"

Hmm, I was expecting more conversation about this one!  Anyway, let's plug along.

I think everybody used up their best 'TNotB' talking points over in the other thread, to be honest.

Never underestimate a four minute Maiden song. Never.
Amen bro :metal

Double amen! Best example: "The Fallen Angel" (which is exactly 4 minutes, funnily enough). Like "Flight of Icarus", it's one of the shortest songs on the album its featured, yet one of the most powerful and epic-sounding. Songs don't have to be long to have a grand quality.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2013, 06:26:20 AM »
Could there be a better introduction for Nicko than Where Eagles Dare? Anyway this album took me awhile to appreciate to the full, i'm not quite sure why because it's obviously a good album. I think at the time for me it kind of got in the shadow of all the other 80s albums but that's just my experience. But once i discovered To Tame A Land i was all over PoM.

I remember watching Live After Death back in the days and always thought Bruce was so cool when he picked up that guitar in Revelations.

PoM was actually the first album i bought on LP. Where Eagles Dare, To Tame A Land, Still Life, The Trooper, Revelations, Flight of Icarus and Die With Your Boots On (Sonata Arctica does a pretty cool cover of this) are all awesome songs.

Btw i have to give some love to Nicko! I adore his personality to the full because he's one of those that you could let lose in a room and he will do everything to make sure everyone has a good time! (I have been to a clinic with Nicko and that was basically a stand-up routine  :lol). He may be a "metal drummer icon" but you won't find icons more down to earth like him.

My Rank:

1. Where Eagles Dare
2. Revelations
3. To Tame A Land
4. Still Life
5. The Trooper
6. Flight of Icarus
7. Die With Your Boots On
8. Quest For Fire
9. Sun and Steel
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:39:54 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Hayden

« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2013, 06:34:58 AM »
Anyway this album took me awhile to appreciate to the full, i'm not quite sure why because it's obviously a good album. [...] But once i discovered To Tame A Land i was all over PoM.

Pretty much my story exactly ;D.

I think the reason is that most of the songs aren't instantly memorable. The best content of the album requires a bit of attention and a few extra listens to fully sink in. Meanwhile, the catchiest numbers are actually the lesser tracks as far as songwriting goes. So, upon your first one or two listens, it's easy to write this thing off. But, as we all know, that would be quite the mistake.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2013, 06:38:47 AM »
Anyway this album took me awhile to appreciate to the full, i'm not quite sure why because it's obviously a good album. [...] But once i discovered To Tame A Land i was all over PoM.

Pretty much my story exactly ;D.
I suspected i was not alone on that one.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2013, 08:13:42 AM »
That's what I miss on their recent releases. Though they are some of the best albums of their career, they just don't seem to be that interested in writing a high number of great, short songs anymore. It's not like they can't; The Alchemist is brilliant IMO.

Yeah, I agree with this. It seems like some of the shorter ones are afterthoughts to balance the albums. Still, Coming Home, Monteseguer, and Mother Of Mercy are so great. Coming Home is knocking on my Maiden Top 10's door.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »
Okay, so I bought this album Thursday, and have been listening to it when I can since then (which unfortunately does NOT include listening to it at work since the enhanced CD basically gives my computer a lobotomy and makes it completely freak out).  I'm not finding it as immediately accessible as NOTB, but it's still VERY good.  The seemingly pointless repetitiveness in Where Eagles Dare was very offputting at first, but I think I've gotten over it.  Wish I could go on and on about every single track, but the one that stands out right now is Flight Of Icarus.  And the reason for that is, basically, it was on autorepeat all weekend because my wife was out of town, and my seven year old discovered that he loved the song and wanted me to keep repeating it.  I popped the CD in Saturday morning as I was driving them to Tae Kwon Do, and then we had to drive around and run some errands afterwards.  When Flight Of Icarus came on, it played about halfway through, and then I hear his voice from he back seat ask, "Dad, what's this song called?"  Since it has a funny name, I had to stop and explain the story to him.  He wanted to listen to it a few more times, so I basically kept repeating it.  Then when we were driving around yesterday, he goes "Dad, put on that song about the guy whose wings caught on fire and crashed into the ocean!"  So I did, and I hear this little voice in the back belting out the chorus.  :lol  I think we probably listened to that song a dozen or so times. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2013, 08:24:39 AM »
Quality time with the kids! :lol

Where Eagles Dare certainly caught me off guard too when PoM came out. What an assault.
The beginning of that song is my ringtone. :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2013, 08:33:28 AM »
When I was still in a band, we used to play Flight of Icarus in the garage like 12 times a day :D

That's pretty fitting about your kid, though. Iron Maiden have always drawn large appeal from adolescents interested in history and mythology. That, I think, was one of Bruce's huge influences on the band. Steve Harris usually wrote about horror, and Bruce didn't write on NOTB, but on PoM Bruce really stepped into a great role, becoming not only the singer but one of the band's best songwriters. He has writing credentials on Icarus, DWYBO, Sun and Steel, and Revelations; all of which were unique songs topically for the band at that time, but wound up becoming staple topics on IM albums later.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »
^My band did "Flight of Icarus" "The Trooper" and "Hallowed Be Thy Name"  :metal

This album smokes

"Quest For Fire" does not exist.  I refuse to acknowledge it.

Every other track is killer

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2013, 09:24:56 AM »
"Quest For Fire" does not exist.  I refuse to acknowledge it.

:lol  I definitely have my share of those kinds of tracks from various bands.  I don't currently feel that way about Quest For Fire, but maybe I will some day.  It is a goofy song, but it's also quite catchy.  Just seeing this post got the chorus stuck in my head. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »
Damn you!  That chorus is going to be in my head for a week now  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »
In a tiiiiiiiiiiime when dinosaurs walked the ea-a-aaaarth

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
Damn you!  That chorus is going to be in my head for a week now  :lol

:rollin  Hey, I'm not the one who brought it up.  Pro Tip:  Where Eagles Dare is easily just as catchy.  I currently have that one stuck in my head, but at slightly higher volume so that it drowns out Quest For Fire.  :biggrin:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2013, 10:15:13 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »
The chorus of Quest for Fire is actually decent. It's just the opening lines that always get me

Inna time where dinosuars roamed the earrrarara
Inna land where swamps and caves WERRRR HOOOOOOOOAOAAAAAAAAA

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »
For me QFF is the only low point on a great album.
I love Sun & Steel but that's the hair metal fan in me  ;D