Author Topic: The BRUCE DICKINSON Discography v. Goodbye, Bruce  (Read 49213 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
The BRUCE DICKINSON Discography v. Goodbye, Bruce
« on: February 01, 2013, 03:31:37 PM »
So this thread is inspired by the surge of popularity that we saw in bosk's Maiden thread.  I was going to lead a thread about the Maiden discography for Perpetual Change's now-defunct Timeless Discographies Club, but even if that project didn't exactly get off the ground this seems like it should start a series of productive, fun discussions.  We'll discuss each of Maiden's studio/live albums one by one; I'll move forward in the discography each time it seems like discussion is dying down. So drop by, have a listen to the album in question, and share your thoughts about that album's songs, sound, and history.

---

IRON MAIDEN - 1980

Tracklist:
1.   "Prowler"     
2.   "Sanctuary"
3.   "Remember Tomorrow" 
4.   "Running Free" 
5.   "Phantom of the Opera" 
6.   "Transylvania"
7.   "Strange World"     
8.   "Charlotte the Harlot"     
9.   "Iron Maiden" 

Iron Maiden was started by Steve Harris in 1975.  Though the group would experience quite a few lineup changes (and at least one hiatus) before the release of their debut in 1980, one thing would remain constant in this interim period and, indeed, over Maiden's career as a whole:  Steve Harris' involvement.  Indeed, Harris has always had an extremely specific vision for the band's progression.  With every few records, Maiden would reinvent itself sonically -- and Harris usually seemed to be at the reins. 

So Maiden went through a few lineup changes (including one with a keyboardist!) before eventually settling on the lineup we see in 1980, which featured Steve Harris on bass, Dennis Stratton and Dave Murray on guitar, Clive Burr on drums, and Paul Di'Anno as the frontman.  This would be Stratton's only performance on a Maiden album -- Stratton would leave for "musical differences", being that he seemed to enjoy softer, more melodic music than Maiden had been playing.

Iron Maiden has a raw, punk-like sound, which sets it apart from all of Maiden's other albums, including the band's sophomore effort Killers.  Reportedly, the band has voiced dissatisfaction with the album's production, though opinions are varied on this issue.

I'll leave discussion of the album's tracks to you, though in my opinion, the debut features a few classics (including "Prowler", "Remember Tomorrow", and the mini-epic "Phantom of the Opera"), but often suffers from admittedly clumsy songwriting ("Charlotte the Harlot" and "Iron Maiden").
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:41:26 AM by theseoafs »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Iron Maiden Discography v. Show Me Your Leg
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
IMO, you really can't fault the debut.  Classic songs, great raw expression, great vocals from Paul, Dave and Dennis on fire with some real tasty guitar work and a great blueprint for things to come.  Although it's not near the top of my fav Maiden albums, it needs to be respected and admired as every track is classic.

Also for the time, I have no problems with the production.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:37:08 PM »
but often suffers from admittedly clumsy songwriting ("Charlotte the Harlot" and "Iron Maiden").

Iron Maiden is not one of their best songs but it's a classic title track for a band IMO.

I also never understood the hate for Charlotte the Harlot.  It's got some nice things going on in there and an incredible soft section in the middle.  The buildup from the middle to the solo is perfect too.  I can see how some might say the chorus is a but clumsy, but I love it, great lyrics which set up an incredible sequel.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:41:23 PM »
Great album. I never had a problem with the sound, and it shows some of the awesomeness that would follow. Phantom of the Opera is pretty awesome, but they are all some pretty cool tracks, with Iron Maiden being the only real clunker in my opinion.

The problem that I had with this release that it was one of the last IM albums that I heard and while it certainly shows promise, it pales against almost every one of the later releases, so I was a little underwhelmed at first, but after a few listens, I learned to appreciate it for what it is.

Also, I like Di'Anno's voice quite a lot. Very different than Bruce's, but awesome all the same. He reached his peak on Killers, though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »
The problem that I had with this release that it was one of the last IM albums that I heard and while it certainly shows promise, it pales against almost every one of the later releases, so I was a little underwhelmed at first, but after a few listens, I learned to appreciate it for what it is.

Same.  I think that just shows the strength of the bands 80's material.  We get spoiled and then this just seems a bit subpa, even though in reality it's classic.  I agree though, over time I listened to it for it was and it really is a perfect debut album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 03:50:43 PM »
Will follow. I'll give my thoughts on each song and then on the album as a whole.

Prowler - Good song. Pretty catchy chorus, the main riff that is played in the intro and then later in the song is one of those that gets stuck on your mind. Some nice energy during the solo, a pretty fast and up-tempo song, starts off the album in a cool way.

Remember Tomorrow - One of two standout songs on the album for me personally, I love this one. It stood out as a great song right from the start, but what really made me fall in love with it even more was hearing Bruce sing it. I like the lyrics, the melody lines and the chorus is catchy. Awesome song.

Running Free - I know this one is considered a classic, but frankly it would probably be one of my least favorite songs from the album. It's catchy though, I'll give it that. An alright song, but was never one of my favorites.

Phantom of the Opera - The second standout on the album for me, and I think it's one of the band's best songs. Musically this song is amazing. It has little singing, but it's so catchy and such a fun song musically. One of the songs that got me interested in Progressive Metal, because musically it's not that far from it. Yeah, I love this song. Top10 Maiden-tune for me.

Transylvania - This has always been a pretty underrated gem in my opinion. It's a pretty awesome instrumental, and while the band didn't do that many of them, this is one of their best instrumentals for me. Really good song.

Strange World - Another song I would put in the "underrated"-category. This song is unique on the album in a pleasant way, and doesn't sound that much like a Maiden-song at all. I really quite enjoy this song, and I wish people would talk about it more.

Charlotte the Harlot - Pretty catchy and up-tempo song. This is one of those songs I like, but I often forget about it. It's a good song, and a very solid tune overall. Not much more to say really.

Iron Maiden - Another classic, this one has been played so many times by now that it's almost easy to overlook. I think it's a great and solid song, not one of my favorites from the album, but a very good song never the less.

The Album - I think this is a pretty solid debut album. I know a lot of people tend to compare it against Killers, personally I think both are fairly equal quality-wise for me. Phantom of the Opera and Remember Tomorrow are my favorites from this album, and overall I think it's very good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
:caffeine:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »
This is your shining moment, bosk. Listen to the discog with us. You will not be let down.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »
:caffeine:

To be honest bosk, if you like Maiden and are going to get into them, you'll end up getting their whole discography, so perhaps use this thread to discover every album as we go along.  It would be a good way to get the lowdown on the albums while going on the bands journey from start to finish.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 03:59:20 PM »
This is your shining moment, bosk. Listen to the discog with us. You will not be let down.

ninja'd me bro.  :tup

Also sea, perhaps you could set a specific timeline that every new album would come up, maybe a few days, or more, I don't know.  I think scheduled perfectly timed updates would be better than random updates.  What do you all think?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 04:00:55 PM »
Yeah.  Although I have my preferences for what I would like to pick up first, all things being equal, given that virtually every single album in the discog was recommended by somebody or other in that thread, I'm going to head over to the music store later and just pick up a few selections based on whatever I can find in the used bin.  I figure I can't go wrong, and getting them used (i.e., cheaper) will allow me to sample more of it faster.  :2metal:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »
Most Maiden album over here in Australia for $10 each new.  To me that's pretty cheap for quality albums.  Not sure what the prices are like elsewhere.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
Also sea, perhaps you could set a specific timeline that every new album would come up, maybe a few days, or more, I don't know.  I think scheduled perfectly timed updates would be better than random updates.  What do you all think?

The problem with that is if there is some really cool discussion going on and then seaofs posts a new entry and then suddenly the discussion is interrupted or rather weird to carry on because there are two separate things going on at the same time.

Why not just wait until there's not really any discussion going on, and then move on to the next? That's how I'll be handling this when doing this thread for SX.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »

The problem with that is if there is some really cool discussion going on and then seaofs posts a new entry and then suddenly the discussion is interrupted or rather weird to carry on because there are two separate things going on at the same time.

Why not just wait until there's not really any discussion going on, and then move on to the next? That's how I'll be handling this when doing this thread for SX.

Agree, how about a minimum time per album at least?  Then if the discussion is still going, we let it keep going.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
Like a lot of people, I came to the debut late-it was, in fact, the last Maiden album I purchased, around the time Live After Death came out-but I really enjoyed it. The seeds to a lot of different directions for the band are on the debut, though the vein they most consistently followed was that of Phantom of the Opera. It has a raw, punkish energy that Killers also had-the sheer blazing speed, for the time, of Prowler, the fiercely angry title track-but it also had its feet planted in more traditional hard rock sounds with Running Free and Sanctuary, and explored a more acoustic side with songs like Remember Tomorrow and Strange World. It isn't quite the Maiden we came to know, but you can certainly find them here.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »
I think the debut slipped through the cracks because by the time I got it, I already knew most of the songs well from the live releases which I already had.  So, I got it just to complete the collection but never really gave it time on its own until later on.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »

Agree, how about a minimum time per album at least?  Then if the discussion is still going, we let it keep going.

That would work. Ultimately, though, it's Mr. Seoafs' choice. What sayeth you, o revered thread creator?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »
Thread title reminds me of:  :xmasstory:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »
Pretty good album. I heard Killers first and that's my favourite but there's no doubt it's a great debut.

Offline adace

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 04:52:45 PM »
Great album. Will follow this thread.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
Awesome idea  :tup and an awesome album. I'll throw in Sanctuary!

My rank:

1. Phantom of the Opera
2. Transylvania
3. Strange World
4. Remember Tomorrow
5. Prowler
6. Sanctuary
7. Iron Maiden
8. Running Free 
9. Charlotte the Harlot

I love the raw punk feel this album has and it's a great debut.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »
Remember Tomorrow is great.  The way the verse transitions into the chorus always makes me think of Fade to Black for some reason.

Did Guns and Roses ever do a cover of Running Free?  If not I always thought that would have been the perfect song for them.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »
+1 to Strange World being very underrated.   Absolutely LOVE that song.   'Arry's bass line on that song is one of his most memorable and haunting IMO.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 07:29:57 PM »
+1 to Strange World being very underrated.   Absolutely LOVE that song.   'Arry's bass line on that song is one of his most memorable and haunting IMO.
:tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 08:44:55 PM »

That would work. Ultimately, though, it's Mr. Seoafs' choice. What sayeth you, o revered thread creator?

If we want a minimum time per album, that's totally doable. 3 days minimum per album?  Or maybe 2?

Also sea,

That's a new one.  Took me a second to realize you were still talking to me. :lol

Yeah.  Although I have my preferences for what I would like to pick up first, all things being equal, given that virtually every single album in the discog was recommended by somebody or other in that thread, I'm going to head over to the music store later and just pick up a few selections based on whatever I can find in the used bin.  I figure I can't go wrong, and getting them used (i.e., cheaper) will allow me to sample more of it faster.  :2metal:

I will stake my (admittedly minimal) reputation on your enjoyment of these discs.  (Unless you get No Prayer for the Dying. If you do, God help you.)

You know what, in listening to the album for the thread, I just heard this song for the first time in what must be more than a year.  I forgot how good this one was, honestly.  Very atmospheric and haunting.

Anyway, rankings!

1. Phantom of the Opera
2. Remember Tomorrow
3. Prowler
4. Strange World
5. Running Free
6. Transylvania
7. Sanctuary
8. Iron Maiden
9. Charlotte the Harlot

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »
I enjoy all the Maiden albums.  There really isnt even one song from them that I dont like.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »

Anyway, rankings!

1. Phantom of the Opera
2. Remember Tomorrow
3. Prowler
4. Strange World
5. Running Free
6. Transylvania
7. Sanctuary
8. Iron Maiden
9. Charlotte the Harlot

Wow...switch RF and Transylvania, and you've got my rankings....VERY close.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 02:07:23 AM »

Anyway, rankings!

1. Phantom of the Opera
2. Remember Tomorrow
3. Prowler
4. Strange World
5. Running Free
6. Transylvania
7. Sanctuary
8. Iron Maiden
9. Charlotte the Harlot

Wow...switch RF and Transylvania, and you've got my rankings....VERY close.

:xmasstory:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 02:22:34 AM »
Okay, rankings:

1. Phantom of the Opera
2. Remember Tomorrow
3. Transylvania
4. Strange World
5. Iron Maiden
6. Prowler
7. Charlotte the Harlot
8. (Sanctuary)
9. Running Free

Offline Ruba

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 03:46:14 AM »
My favourite Iron Maiden album, because the filler (Charlotte the Harlot) is the best Iron Maiden filler. I like punk music, and this album might be the most diverse IM album, because there are for example fast and heavy Prowler, maybe the softest Iron Maiden track Strange World, the epic The Phantom of the Opera and Remember Tomorrow, which changes mood many times.

Like Scorpion, I like Paul's vocals.

My ranking:
1.Remember Tomorrow
2.Prowler
3.The Phantom of the Opera
4.Strange World
5.Iron Maiden
6.Running Free (INSANE LIVE SONG!)
7.Transylvania
8.Charlotte the Harlot

Sanctuary would be the last. Why they had to play such a dragger for so many tours?

Remember Tomorrow is great.  The way the verse transitions into the chorus always makes me think of Fade to Black for some reason.

Iron Maiden has been a great inspiration for Metallica. Lars Ulrich has even said: "Iron Maiden is 110% cooler than any other band in the world."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 06:07:35 AM »
1. Phantom of the Opera
2. Strange World
3. Charlotte the Harlot
4. Transylvania
5. Prowler
6. Remember Tomorrow
7. Running Free
8. Iron Maiden

"Remember Tomorrow" is the only song that I think is actually damaged by the production.  It's a much better song than it sounds on this record.

Fantastic debut.  I really love it.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 08:40:07 AM »
I started with TNOTB, but I got the debut and Killers on Christmas day 1982. Which now that I think of it makes me appreciate my parents even more.

Paul Dianno had a great voice. Perfect on this album. I would get everything he was involved in throughout the 80's..Dianno, Battlezone, and Gogmagog (which also features Clive Burr and Jannick Gers).

Love Phantom Of The Opera, Remember Tomorrow, and Prowler.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »
Following along
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 02:36:49 PM »
Not a lot of bands have already established themselves as a big name in heavy metal world with their debut, and for a good reason - in terms of originality, Iron Maiden was already head and shoulders above their contemporaries. The record is fairly diverse stylistically, some of the songs are very progressive, the vocals were punkier than what was usual in the new wave of Brittish heavy metal. You could argue that every element of the classic Maiden sound is in there. The thing that's notably different compared to their next record (and also the golden era albums with Bruce, obviously) is the raw production, which never bothered me honestly - I think that's what gives it a special touch.

Prowler - The album kicks off with a hit. Melodic riff, vocal harmonies, in-your-face solos, powerful drumming - everything that Maiden's about can be heard on the album opener.

Sanctuary - This song proudly wears the influence of punk, which can be explained by the fact that Paul is listed as a co-writer. A fun song.

Remember tomorrow - I love the contrast between the gentle verses and the furious, heavy riff that follows. One of the more complicated pieces on the record.

Running free - I always thought this song is quite different for Maiden. It's edgy and has a punk attitude, which is counterbalanced by remarkable guitar harmonies that make you realize you're still listening to Maiden.

Phantom of the opera - A timeless classic and one of my favorite songs of theirs. The song structure is very progressive, and the guitar harmonies are equally impressive. They already knew where their strength is.

Transylvania - Tremendous playing on this song. Every fan loves it.

Strange world - This is where Paul shows he can sing a ballad as well, there's a certain warmth in his voice here. Dave Murray shines as well, I'm sure he enjoyed playing these solos.

Charlotte the Harlot - I never really cared for lyrics like these, at least when Maiden do it. That's the job for AC/DC. Musically, it's pretty solid.

Iron Maiden - The title track suffers from a problem the band had on some of the songs in their early days - repeating the same lyrics in verse and chorus three times. Aside from that, it's a cool track and a concert staple.

Overall, Iron Maiden is not one of my favorite Iron Maiden albums and would just barely crack its way into my top 10. Yet I'll give it 9/10 - that has to be one hell of a band then, right? Kudos for the thread, I'm reading all of it and immensely enjoying writing the reviews.  :tup

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
Can't go wrong with that pale zombie in the cover (in the beginning of the 80's). Got to respect how Clive Burr with Harris bass made a new and powerful type of rhythm at the time.

Remember Tomorrow, Prowler and Phantom are all time classics and Transylvania is the best instrumental they ever did.

Iron Maiden and Sanctuary are so overrated by the band themselves. I don't know why the hell they choose to play them on almost every tour instead of the above referenced.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:48:08 PM by Moonchild »