Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 279304 times)

Offline nikatapi

Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #1855 on: November 05, 2013, 04:03:02 PM »
Ok I have to say that James is great on almost all of the songs, i'm very impressed with his performance! :metal

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1856 on: November 05, 2013, 04:29:47 PM »
He sounds amazing on Bridges in the Sky (that's because I'm just beginning to listen to the whole thing)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1857 on: November 05, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
Wow. You guys aren't joking about the documentary. It's not awful, but it's not really great either. Especially the long drummer audition recap.

Here's one major things DT are missing without Portnoy...

A director!

MP was a great director. The Systematic Chaos bonus disc was so great (almost redeemed the album), and so were all the behind the scenes videos MP had a hand in. Man, MP was such a great documentor, and you always kind felt like you were in the room with the band watching his videos.

The OTE stuff looks a lot more professional, but it's also a lot less candid. With OTE, I always feel like it's semi scripted.

Oh well... I guess DT are what they are now, and aren't gonna ever be able to replicate or completely replace MP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1858 on: November 05, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »
Watching the Blu Ray now, up to LNF, and Im liking it a lot.  Ive been doing chores while leaving it on so I haven't fully digested, but the performance sees to be very awesome.  I don't have any problems with the sound but im watching in stereo through my TV.

Offline Juular

« Reply #1859 on: November 05, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »
Absolutely loving James' performance on this Blu-ray. Anybody else think there's something off about the vocals on The Silent Man and especially Beneath The Surface, though? Sounds like there is something wrong with the microphone during the softer parts, it sounds kind of windy/distorted.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1860 on: November 05, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »
Just picked it up at Best Buy. Looking forward to it  :corn

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1861 on: November 05, 2013, 05:16:02 PM »
Wow. You guys aren't joking about the documentary. It's not awful, but it's not really great either. Especially the long drummer audition recap.

A director!

MP was a great director. The Systematic Chaos bonus disc was so great (almost redeemed the album), and so were all the behind the scenes videos MP had a hand in. Man, MP was such a great documentor, and you always kind felt like you were in the room with the band watching his videos.

The OTE stuff looks a lot more professional, but it's also a lot less candid. With OTE, I always feel like it's semi scripted.

Oh well... I guess DT are what they are now, and aren't gonna ever be able to replicate or completely replace MP.
I hear you. MP really knew what the fans wanted to hear/see and did his best at that. That said, I have no problem with having OTE produce their videos from now on. They are amazing at what they do.

And for the documentary thing...I haven't had time to watch that yet, but we'll always have Riding the train of thought.   :heart
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1862 on: November 05, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
Completely forgot this came out. Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: November 05, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »
There's no real reason not to stock it.  DT12 got to number 12 on the aria charts (I think) so a DT DVD a month later would be great for sales.

Yep, usually JB are on the ball with DT stuff. Maybe the release date listed is just a little premature for the availability of stock, and you'll see it in abundance next time you check in store. Even with being a different publisher for this DVD, it's still DT.
When I went to buy Score here, it was playing on the big screen as you walk in, and they had a small rack for it. And that was before DT even signed with RR. And they had the shelves stocked with CiM the day before their announced release date.
So hopefully they'll have this just as present with a little more time. I've already ordered, so I'll just have to play the waiting game with mine.

That's cool.  I got those on the release date too.  Hopefully this weekend it will be there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1864 on: November 05, 2013, 06:31:57 PM »
Okay, the cool slipcase they got around this 4/5-disc set really makes me wish other sets like it had a nice slipcase too (like Transatlantic's More Never Is Enough for example.)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: November 05, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »

A director!

On the other hand, we didn't get another release that made the singer sound incompetent.  Personally, I buy these things to actually see and hear the performance, and special features are just icing on the cake.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1866 on: November 05, 2013, 07:18:16 PM »
On the other hand, we didn't get another release that made the singer sound incompetent.

Thank god we didn't have MP around to make JLB sing badly.

Sounds like the bonus features on this release aren't too thrilling. For the price of the basic edition, I'm more than content just to have a good new live DT show, so I have no complaints.
I would have loved to hear a commentary with the new band. Maybe next time! :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1867 on: November 05, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
Ok looks like all those numbers I did earlier only applies for the Blu-ray. Apparently, with the DVD you don't get Outcry multi-angle, and so you have an hour less of footage. Now I'm really pissed about that because with two DVD's they could have easily fit it, and they also put out a picture of the back cover with time lengths that are not true to the actual release.

The instagram picture said:
disk one- 229
disk two- 69

but now I have it and it's really:
disk one- 160
disk two- 71

Of course it's still gonna be great and I'll enjoy it, but I'm really disappointed about missing out on a really great special feature, especially when it TOTALLY could have fit, and all this time leading up I thought I was getting a 5-hour double DVD.

And I still think some of the fans' criticisms are ridiculous.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1868 on: November 05, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
I find that bonus feature times are always inflated on DVDs (and BRs). They'll say 3 hours of bonus footage, then you find that they're counting the commentary track as 2 hours of that etc.
Luckily I didn't buy my copy of LALP based on bonus features.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #1869 on: November 05, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
I've been trying to find some info on this, and for whatever reason it's been difficult to find.

What's the difference between the Blu-ray set with the CDs, and the SuperMegaUltraEnergyPowah Box set?  I know it has the DVDs, which are kinda pointless to me (unless they have some content on them that the Blu-rays don't).  So what else?  A glass, was it?  A book?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1870 on: November 05, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »
I've been trying to find some info on this, and for whatever reason it's been difficult to find.

What's the difference between the Blu-ray set with the CDs, and the SuperMegaUltraEnergyPowah Box set?  I know it has the DVDs, which are kinda pointless to me (unless they have some content on them that the Blu-rays don't).  So what else?  A glass, was it?  A book?

I have no idea where the "pint glasses" thing came from.  The deluxe has the huge hardcover book as the case for the whole set, contains all 3 media formats (BR/DVD/CD), and has the 6:00 multi-angle/3D gizmo.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1871 on: November 05, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
Now that I saw some things at Best Buy, I'm pretty sure I can answer your question.

-2 DVD- 230min total which is the 3:15 concert plus all the bonus features except Outcry (so about 35 min of extras) ($15-$20)
-Blu ray- just under 300min which is the  3:15 concert plus all the bonus features including Outcry (so about 1:40 of extras) ($15-$20)

-either one of those^ plus 3 CD of the 3:15 concert. (2DVD+3CD or BR+3CD). Comes in a small box, but is not "the box set". (about $45-$50 total)

-The box set is BR+2DVD+3CD AND a big huge book of pictures AND a 360 Mativision thing of 6:00. (about $100 total)
book shown here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFd7C0SX56k
mativision thing here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ExrdvNg2k

-also a few of these can also come with a pint glass and/or poster for some extra money (whole thing is over $100)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: November 05, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
Finished the main feature. Here's a quick scattershot review:

I really liked it.

Performances were solid, all around. I didn't like the 5.1 sound, but I changed my system and the audio to the LPCM Stereo, and liked it waaaay better, so maybe I just don't have my 5.1 system set up right. Anyway, on stereo, I could hear everything clearly. Bass and drums were especially prominent, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyway... James sounds great, as do the rest of the band. He talks more and for the most part what he says is really insightful.

John's pretend singing is hilarious. I'm glad they pipe in James' harmonies, though, as it gives the vocals a much fuller sound.

JR also has some great moments.

Mangini's solo spot was tremendous. Probably the most musical drum solo I ever heard.

JP's... I dunno. I feel like I was missing something with his solo spot. It didn't sound very cohesive...

Also, what's up with this crowd? You can't here them barely at all. Odd. I wonder if there was some issues picking them up on the mics?

Speaking of, something's wrong with James' mic during the quiet parts. It sounds distorted. Kinda annoying but it only effects a two or three songs, and only for part of them.

Anyway, the slots nicely between Score, Budokan, and LSFNY in terms of the great DT DVDs. Kinda wish they would have done some BC&SL songs instead of some of the others we've gotten before, but overall I can't complain too much. Also... yup, 6:00 just is not a great live song, unfortunately. Kinda weird how that works.

I'm gonna go through more of the bonus features and extras tomorrow - though I know there isn't really a "wealth" of them, lol  ;)

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #1873 on: November 05, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses, guys!  That 6:00 feature I have almost no interest in.  So I guess the extra $50 would be spent on some DVD copies (to have DVD back-ups comes in handy sometimes) and a nice book.  Hmmmm, meditate on this, I will.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1874 on: November 05, 2013, 08:32:58 PM »
I got the deluxe package that I got for $63 bucks due to amazon screwing up the pricing or whatever happened.  Very happy with it though totally not worth $109 bucks if you ask me. 

With that said, the documentary is disappointing (although there were several hilarious moments)

But, what really matters is the performances and damn it all, they are fucking on fire! 

The setlist (along with the bonus tracks) are near perfect  (should have replaced the two SDOIT songs with the The Great Debate)

I think the setlist is much better than Budakon or Score.  Also glad I got the CDs with it and a damn shame they didn't release a similar package to CoM because people should have these CDs in their rotation. 

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #1875 on: November 05, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »
I ended up driving the half-hour to my nearest Best Buy to pick up the Blu-ray, considering that it is "Out of Stock" on Amazon. I watched the first half of the show tonight, and I'm happy to report that the audio sounds MUCH better than when I saw it in theaters (JP's guitar overpowered everything at the movies). I think I like JLB's vocals on this even more so than Score (which is saying a lot).
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1876 on: November 05, 2013, 11:04:39 PM »
I just tried every combination of audio settings on my system to find what I wanted. I found on mine, the DTS surround on the DVD but just played through 5 speaker stereo on my surround sound system sounds best in that room. Also the bass speaker turned up all the way. Still the keyboards aren't loud enough, but not too terribly bad, and the sound isn't bad either. I think it's just a matter of everyone getting the right settings on their systems for the DVD to sound good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: November 06, 2013, 07:07:48 AM »
I ended up watching the entire concert and the bonus songs last night. I loved it! The ADTOE songs were really awesome.  I kind of wished they threw in the bonus songs as part of the whole show. BMUBMD has the best crowd response and really would have fit better on the main set IMO. I'm glad we got it though. The band performance overall was great. I have no issues with the nix or sound either. JP is definitely the loudest but you can still hear everything fine.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1878 on: November 06, 2013, 07:21:10 AM »
I got the box set yesterday.  I didn't get a chance to watch it though, so I'll do that tonight. I might even pour myself a beer in my new pint glass while watching the show.   :D

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1879 on: November 06, 2013, 07:24:04 AM »
Picked up my DVD from Best Buy last night, didn't get a chance to watch it unfortunately, but maybe tonight I'll have some time to sit down and soak it all in!!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1880 on: November 06, 2013, 07:39:28 AM »
I'm in the middle of my first watch. I just finished the drum solo. I AM ENTERTAINED, MIKE.  :hefdaddy
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline morkie

« Reply #1881 on: November 06, 2013, 10:39:06 AM »
Okay that's a lot of DT I just watched :) I love it, it does not let me down with the performance.

Honestly I could pick some holes in the audio but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. There are moments and certainly Johns guitar is LOUD but I'm overall super happy.

Call me dumb but where do I access the 360 camera stuff? I remember seeing demos of those cameras and what they can do, but I didn't find any options on my Bluray for them at all. They had those things all over the stage for the entire show (Sometimes they were in the way of shots, annoyingly. Or blocking view of the guitar fretboard, as a guitarist thats blasphemy).

So someone make me feel stupid, where do I access these 360 control-it-yourself camera views they shot?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1882 on: November 06, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »
I second the 360 request. My PC cannot reproduce BR and I was mildly disappointed with the picture quality of the DVD (but it's not the DVD's fault, it's just that over the years I had gotten used to watching movies and TV series in HD quality, and going back to the standard wasn't easy - first world problems).

Nitpicking:
- The intro of Metropolis was waaay too hushed. I get that it was an intro tape, but why wasn't it equalized to the rest of the song as it has always been?
- The Jam in Metropolis sounded exceptionally weird to me. But again, this is just my fault. As some of you know, I downloaded the audience video of Metropolis before it was pulled down, and pretty much wathced that little improvisation section for one whole year. The audio quality wasn't the best, and looks like I filled a few audio wholes the wrong way, which is why the actual version sounded strange.
- I too would have enjoyed the crowd mixed louder, and the keyboard a bit more upfront. But as PC said somewhere, I could probably attain a sound closer to my wishes tweaking the equalizer :D

Pro:
- MIKE MANGINI DRUM SOLO. I've always been a sort of hater of drum solos, the classic guy who would always gain the men's room during them, metaphorically. But this one left me stunned and absolutely glued to the screen for all the 5-6 minutes it lasted. What an amazing performance, vastly superior to any other drum solo I have ever heard him play, including the one I witnessed in person. GREAT JOB.

- JAMES. Gosh, James, you own this one. Bravissimo.

- The Setlist. It's no surprise, but the Aug 19 performance showcased the best setlist of the tour, something that can't be said of the two previous live DVDs (neither Score nor Budokan featured the best selection of songs that were on rotation, that's a fairly accepted statement).

- The Photography: really well done and cinematic. Maybe on a few spots they could have stayed on a band member a little longer, but they managed to deliver a very dynamic shooting without making me carsick and without missing any of the key moments. Great job!

- The minor adjustments: it's no secred that DT has tweaked the sound of pretty much all past live releases, with the only exception of OIALT (for sure), and Budokan (probably). Not that this is a bad thing, in fact, I'm all for it! If I want to enjoy the rawness and the little mistakes I just grab one of the bootlegs everyone can get on the net. This release makes no exception: a few details were clearly altered for the better or little mistakes concealed thanks to the clever choice of filming both nights. One example: the first night James's voice faltered on the climatic note of TSCO, while no trace of it can be found on the DVD. Clearly they must have used the corresponding sound stream from the second night, which was perfectly fine. Also, I feel that a bit more consistency was given to James vocals on a few selected critical spots, especially towards the end of the set, again basing myself on the audience shots that I've been able to see. Of course I'm not positive about this for the obvious reason that an audience recording (let's say it, a phone video), doesn't sound good enough to make perfect sense of all the nuances in James's performance. Still, it doesn't matter to me, I'm okay with whatever was done to optimize the already excellent performance.

- Yes, EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE. The strong point of the release. The band is tight, faithful to the studio version of the album but carefully including all the extra bits that had been developing since the start of the tour. An example: the new ending of TROAE wasn't omitted (thank Bosk) and instead played in its definitive shape (you can trace its growth from the original idea to what appeared on the DVD watching a few videos on youtube). The same can be said about the solos. PC said somewhere that he felt the Guitar Solo to be a little disconnected. He's right, but that's because the three distinct sections were introduced in the three 2012 legs leading up to Luna Park, European, Asian and American. The Luna Park performance added up the three of them, too bad John didn't bring over the cowboy hat he used to wear on the solo on previous shows!
To sum up this point, the band played effectively, focused and loose at the same time. You can see 5 people concentrated in order to play at their best, but at the same time enjoying their time on stage as every artist should. Example? The funny JLB-JP sketch in Surrounded, or the cool JP-JM-MM interplay throughout the night, or again the JR extravaganza on TDEN.

So, I have written too much already. Nothing of this post was planned, I just threw a few things on paper as they came to me.

Overall, on my first watch I can say I really enjoyed this release a lot. I still have to watch the documentary as well as the extras, but I wanted to write something about the main performance only, as I've seen too many post about the satellites and too few about the planet. ;)

I still have to get used to the sound, to watch it in Blu Ray quality and to familiarize with the performances. As of now, I can say that I like this live release above all the others because of all the strenghts I listed and despite the minor complaints I opened my post with. Of this I am very happy and grateful.

"Sorry for the short set post" [cit.]
- Marco

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1883 on: November 06, 2013, 11:44:32 AM »
Listening to Breaking All Illusions on stereo is really weird as the keyboard parts are so quiet at some parts. I think one of the highlights of that track is the keyboard accompaniment along the guitar parts. I'm going to listen in 5.1 later but on stereo the keys sound way too low at times.

The performance is typical DT which is jaw dropping almost every single time. More thoughts as I watch the entire thing.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1884 on: November 06, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
An example: the new ending of TROAE wasn't omitted (thank Bosk)...

I'd like to think I may have influenced that, but I can't take credit.  I have no idea whether John kept my comments to him in mind, or if they did it for some other reason.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1885 on: November 06, 2013, 12:23:59 PM »
- The Setlist. It's no surprise, but the Aug 19 performance showcased the best setlist of the tour, something that can't be said of the two previous live DVDs (neither Score nor Budokan featured the best selection of songs that were on rotation, that's a fairly accepted statement).

can you elaborate on this? I haven't studied their set lists enough to know this to be an accepted statement  :blush

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1886 on: November 06, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
^I missed that.  I'm not sure I agree with the assessment of the Score and L@B set lists.  I don't remember anything in rotation on the TOT tour that I would have preferred in the set list to things that were included, other than ACOS having been in rotation on the U.S. legs.  But there's nothing I would have taken out of the L@B set to make room for it, other than Hollow Years, but that was a set staple, so that wasn't going to happen.

As for Score, yes, there were a few stronger song selections on the tour.  But what locked them in on that set was the curfew and the decision to play SDOIT with orchestra.  Including SDOIT was a great move, and is one that justified the resulting ripple effect on other parts of the set.  So all in all, given the format they were working with, I think we got the best set we possibly could have gotten.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1887 on: November 06, 2013, 01:06:34 PM »
^I missed that.  I'm not sure I agree with the assessment of the Score and L@B set lists.  I don't remember anything in rotation on the TOT tour that I would have preferred in the set list to things that were included, other than ACOS having been in rotation on the U.S. legs.  But there's nothing I would have taken out of the L@B set to make room for it, other than Hollow Years, but that was a set staple, so that wasn't going to happen.

As for Score, yes, there were a few stronger song selections on the tour.  But what locked them in on that set was the curfew and the decision to play SDOIT with orchestra.  Including SDOIT was a great move, and is one that justified the resulting ripple effect on other parts of the set.  So all in all, given the format they were working with, I think we got the best set we possibly could have gotten.

Clearly those are just my opinions, but so far I've heard many sharing them. I would have had any of those (https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=742 / https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=749) over Budokan. And as for Score, I'm in line with your opinions, except that I'm not really glad they went for the whole SDOIT, but that was something that had to be done sooner or later.
- Marco

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1888 on: November 06, 2013, 01:17:52 PM »
Sounds like I'll be sitting this one out.  It drives me nuckin' futs when the keyboards are mixed lower than everything else.  Yeah yeah, I get it; everybody wants to hear the guitar and the keyboards don't mean shit, but when the music is specifically written and arranged for them to be "equals" and some numbnuts still decides it's fine if the guitar is twice as loud as everything else, it's just frustrating.  Who needs keyboards, or bass or drums for that matter?  Rock is all about the guitar.

Sure, if I listen really closely, I can hear the keyboards sometimes.  After five or ten minutes, I'm just frustrated and annoyed and would rather not even subject myself to it.  Bummer, too, 'cause I was looking forward to some live Mangini.  Maybe next time.  How long until the next live disc comes out?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: November 06, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
How long until the next live disc comes out?

Soon.