Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 279087 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #1820 on: November 05, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »
(I just read what I wrote below and it sounds like an absolutely hacked off fan hating his favourite band, but I honestly love them and just need to get it off my chest) :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all over this and will love it! But counting the trailer and the songs that were shot for the concert as extras is just padding it :) I would expect all the songs to be included, I admit that some bands might not do that. It's just not the 'omg wait and see guys, it'll be worth us not bringing it out in May, not communicating with you why we did that until June, then releasing it as expected anyway'. Okay that was a long fake quote.

Agreed. And I mean, I don't think it makes me less of a fan, just because I'm wondering why one particular product doesn't appear to be as advertised.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1821 on: November 05, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »
My deluxe edition should land today.

Given that UPS has it marked as 3 lbs, I 'm guessing it comes with the book even though Amazon's page didn't explicitly say so.

Edit: it's here book and all.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1822 on: November 05, 2013, 09:58:55 AM »
What are the actual special features?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36531.msg1583496#msg1583496

Live At Luna Park contains the 160-minute main show accompanied by a wealth of bonus material.

OK, so we have a documentary, and...?

Dont get too excited about the documentary. It was disappointing. :P
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1823 on: November 05, 2013, 10:28:43 AM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1824 on: November 05, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
I wanted Action Figures

We already have the JR action figure.  It's time for the MM action figure.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1825 on: November 05, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »
Wow, I have to say the varied opinions of this release, as a whole have me very curious.  I plan to grab a copy of the DVD on my way home from work at my local Best Buy, can't wait to take it home tonight and see for myself what its like!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1826 on: November 05, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
What are the actual special features?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36531.msg1583496#msg1583496

Live At Luna Park contains the 160-minute main show accompanied by a wealth of bonus material.

OK, so we have a documentary, and...?

Dont get too excited about the documentary. It was disappointing. :P
What's the difference between the documentary and the "behind the scenes"?

Also, I can't imagine how the 60 minutes of documentary could be boring, unless it's more of the guys sitting around a room saying "we wanted to give the fans the best possible experience" for 60 minutes :P

Offline adastra

« Reply #1827 on: November 05, 2013, 10:50:17 AM »
I just want to clarify that IMO  the DVD wasn't bad ! :D
It was nice Gig to watch but nothing special.  I've returned many times to watch budokan and live scenes but propably not this one.

What's the difference between the documentary and the "behind the scenes"?

Also, I can't imagine how the 60 minutes of documentary could be boring, unless it's more of the guys sitting around a room saying "we wanted to give the fans the best possible experience" for 60 minutes :P

what 60mins documentary?!!?  it was more like 25-30mins.
Behind the scenes is a 5 mins clip of the guys who are recording the show or sumthing.

DISC2 running time is 68mins approx. (according to the DVD case)  and it has the bonus songs , so there isnt enough time for 60mins documentary
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:56:14 AM by adastra »
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1828 on: November 05, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »
Odd.

The Bluray box says 300 minutes, so I assumed...

Show: 120 mins
Bonus Songs: 60 minutes
Documentary: 60 Minutes
Behind the Scenes: 5 minutes
Outcry 360: 15 minutes
Cartoon intro + trailer: 5 minutes

That still leaves about 45 minutes of stuff unaccounted for... and over an hour's worth if the doc is really only 25-20 minutes :P

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1829 on: November 05, 2013, 11:04:14 AM »
The main show is longer than 120 minutes. Each night of that leg of the tour was more like 160 minutes.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1830 on: November 05, 2013, 11:05:51 AM »
Just picked up the DVD at Best Buy for $6.41 - guy at the register gave me a $10 coupon of his own initiative.  :yarr

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1831 on: November 05, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »
The main show is longer than 120 minutes. Each night of that leg of the tour was more like 160 minutes.

Yeah, when I saw it in theaters, they listed the run time as 2 hrs. 43 minutes, which perfectly lines up.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1832 on: November 05, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Disk one- 229 min
Disk two- 68 min

together-297 min (five hours minus 3 minutes)

main show- 160 min
extra songs- 35 min
behind the scenes- 5 min? (is this the OTE video that was just released on youtube?)
documentary- apparently only like 30 minutes?
Cartoon intro- 5 min
trailer- 2 min

that adds up to 237 which is 60 minutes short.. That must mean Outcry is 11.5 min times 5 angles... just under 60 min.

So I'll now admit, if thats the case, that's a little less than what I thought it would be, but still definitely jam packed and much more than most concert DVDs.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:30:24 AM by TheAtliator »

Offline adastra

« Reply #1833 on: November 05, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »
Disk one- 229 min
Disk two- 68 min

together-297 min (five hours minus 3 minutes)

main show- 160 min
extra songs- 35 min
behind the scenes- 5 min? (is this the OTE video that was just released on youtube?)
Trailer- apparently only like 30 minutes?
Cartoon intro- 5 min
trailer- 2 min

that adds up to 237 which is 60 minutes short.. That must mean Outcry is 11.5 min times 5 angles... just under 60 min.

So I'll now admit, if thats the case, that's a little less than what I thought it would be, but still definitely jam packed and much more than most concert DVDs.

More like 2mins 23secs
edit: Oh what lol  ;D  I guess u meant the documentary

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1834 on: November 05, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »
woops typo, yes fixed.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: November 05, 2013, 11:30:59 AM »
You're missing the 360 degree Outcry thing.

Other than that, I wouldn't say it's really any more or less than the typical concert film. Most of the ones I own feature a documentary of sorts or behind the scenes footage, as well as extra music videos or bonus songs.

Regardless, the $15 I paid for the 4+ hour BluRay disc  is still a great value, so I'm not complaining, but I am just curious as to why the release was delayed, since evidently there are not really any more extras than you'd get on most other concert films.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1836 on: November 05, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
But yeah, For real.. The DVD backcover says that DISC ONE is 229 minutes,  but the show is "Only"  2hours and 40mins  and there isn't anything else there .. Unless it is hidden  :huh:  :huh:   Or have I just missed sumthing

SOMEBODY TELL ME IF IM MISSING SOMETHING. THE LENGHTS DOESN'T ADD UP!  :justjen

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1837 on: November 05, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »
i didn't miss Outcry, look at the second to last line. It makes up for the 60 min if its every angle for the whole song  :tup

But yeah, For real.. The DVD backcover says that DISC ONE is 229 minutes,  but the show is "Only"  2hours and 40mins  and there isn't anything else there .. Unless it is hidden  :huh:  :huh:   Or have I just missed sumthing

SOMEBODY TELL ME IF IM MISSING SOMETHING. THE LENGHTS DOESN'T ADD UP!  :justjen

I don't know which features were put on which disk because I don't have mine yet, but if you look at my list, it does add up to 5 hours altogether.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1838 on: November 05, 2013, 11:35:25 AM »
When will it be uploaded on spotify, do you think?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: November 05, 2013, 11:36:36 AM »
When will it be uploaded on spotify, do you think?

Not sure. It isn't Roadrunner, so I wouldn't assume that it's going to be up at all. However, I think PSMS is up on Spotify, and that's Eagle Rock too I think.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #1840 on: November 05, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
So apparently the single-disc Blu-ray is backordered on both Amazon and Best Buy.  :-[
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1841 on: November 05, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
So apparently the single-disc Blu-ray is backordered on both Amazon and Best Buy.  :-[
Just got back from Best Buy, where they had at least a dozen on their shelves.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #1842 on: November 05, 2013, 11:40:21 AM »

Of the actual Blu-ray release? (No bundle, just single Blu-ray disc.)
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: November 05, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »

Yup. They also had the DVDs, and the DVD + CD Bundles.

I'd call the closet store to you, and just ask them to hold on to one for you to come pick up.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1844 on: November 05, 2013, 11:48:09 AM »

Yup. They also had the DVDs, and the DVD + CD Bundles.

I'd call the closet store to you, and just ask them to hold on to one for you to come pick up.

Yeah my local Best Buy stores appear to have the Blue-ray single disc and the DVD (2 disc) options in stock.  But for some reason the Best Buy website says the Blu-ray is back-ordered... I would definitely call your local store and put one on hold.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: November 05, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »
It's back-ordered for online orders, probably.

The stores should all have copies. I checked their website this morning and every store in my area had copies available for pickup.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: November 05, 2013, 12:05:40 PM »
Yea I saw the back order from best buy online but if you select to do a store pick up it is available. I cancelled my Amazon preorder because it didn't even ship yet. I'll pick it up at my local best buy instead on my way home from work.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1847 on: November 05, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »
We also have to take into account that book package that could have been the reason for the delay.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1848 on: November 05, 2013, 12:34:15 PM »
Could be.  Although stores have it.  I have both the deluxe and the BR/CD versions on hold at a store here in town until I can go pick it up.  I am not buying both, but I want to take a look at both before deciding.  As far as I can tell, the deluxe gives you all 3 media formats (BR/DVD/CD), and the only additional content that you get with it is:
1.  The ability to view the 3D 6:00 app., and
2.  The book

If that is the only difference, I will probably just go with the BR/CD version.  The 6:00 app. is cool and all, but I'd probably mess with it for 20 minutes or so, and then never look at it again.  The book looks amazing.  But it basically adds another $55 to the price.  Do I need to spend $95 mainly just for a book, when I can get the main part of the set (video and audio) for $40?  Nope.  But, again, the book does look amazing.  For those who haven't seen it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFd7C0SX56k
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: November 05, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
Could be.  Although stores have it.  I have both the deluxe and the BR/CD versions on hold at a store here in town until I can go pick it up.  I am not buying both, but I want to take a look at both before deciding.  As far as I can tell, the deluxe gives you all 3 media formats (BR/DVD/CD), and the only additional content that you get with it is:
1.  The ability to view the 3D 6:00 app., and
2.  The book

If that is the only difference, I will probably just go with the BR/CD version.  The 6:00 app. is cool and all, but I'd probably mess with it for 20 minutes or so, and then never look at it again.  The book looks amazing.  But it basically adds another $55 to the price.  Do I need to spend $95 mainly just for a book, when I can get the main part of the set (video and audio) for $40?  Nope.  But, again, the book does look amazing.  For those who haven't seen it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFd7C0SX56k

That's the exact thought process that led me to choose the BR+CD option, as well.

Offline Mastervai

« Reply #1850 on: November 05, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »
Based on the reasoning brought forth in this thread it seems the BOOK is the reason for: "Just wait and see - you'll understand the delay when you see how cool the release is gonna be".

Furthermore: a lot of the posts here unfortunately makes me a bit ancious regarding the expected awesomeness of the concert film. I am looking forward to receiving my Deluxe version via Amazon UK (it has been shipped) and judge it for myself.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1851 on: November 05, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »
The book does look nice.

Having skimmed through the booklet with the Bluray, I can confirm that almost half of those photos are in the booklet, too, just obviously a lot smaller.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1852 on: November 05, 2013, 01:25:41 PM »
Darn me losing my card or else I wouldve gotten it today.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1853 on: November 05, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
Listening to it now. Gotta say, I didn't really pay attention to anything before the release, but I think this may be my favorite set list of all their live releases. A little bit of (almost) everything, and a lot of them are my favorite songs from each album. And Wait For Sleep right next to Far From Heaven? I love it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1854 on: November 05, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »
I do hate to say that the documentary is truly disappointing in terms of length. The first five minutes (out of a whopping 26 minutes) is a recap that completely reuses footage from The Spirit Carries On drummer documentary.

The rest of the footage is nice, but where's the length? As disappointing as CiM might be in terms of footage and audio, the bonus features are extensive. I love the show itself, but the overall package is a tad underwhelming, especially after the lengthy delay.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)