Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 279028 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #1785 on: November 01, 2013, 03:51:03 PM »
For those that have this already:  I was told a long time ago that there might be sort of a dreamtheaterforums.org cameo of sorts in the video.  Has anyone spotted it?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1786 on: November 02, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
Has someone who saw the concert in the cinema already got his preorder?
I'm wondering whether the mix is the same. In the cinema the keyboard wasn't lust low, it was practically buried in the mix.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1787 on: November 02, 2013, 09:33:37 AM »
Why should it be a different mix?

Offline me7

« Reply #1788 on: November 02, 2013, 10:04:47 AM »
In the cinema, the keyboards were so low that it could easily be a technical fault that was fixed for the BR release.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1789 on: November 02, 2013, 10:09:48 AM »
In the cinema, the keyboards were so low that it could easily be a technical fault that was fixed for the BR release.

Given how late in the process it was shown in the cinema, I'd say that's very unlikely. I'd say what we got in the cinema is what we'll get on the BR/DVD. People have made the same criticisms of the Youtube clips too.

Personally, I found the keyboard mix to be just fine on the same video that others had issue with, so maybe it just depends on what you're listening to it on.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1790 on: November 03, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »
Blob, no luck for me at 2 JB's on the weekend.  Looks like this will be an online order.  I did find Flying Colors DVD at one of them though.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1791 on: November 03, 2013, 04:42:50 AM »
I didn't get to checking in store this weekend, but I feel a bit better knowing that. I'll order it tonight and hopefully it should arrive this week some time.

edit: Just ordered it. I'll race you to see who gets it first. :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:49:24 AM by BlobVanDam »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1792 on: November 03, 2013, 05:06:43 AM »
You'll probably win.  I'm gonna hold out another week and see if I have any luck next weekend.  If not then I'll order.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1793 on: November 03, 2013, 05:06:58 AM »
Seriously doubting purchasing this. I had such high expectations but on the basis of what I've seen and heard so far, it all seems rather flat and lackluster to me.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1794 on: November 03, 2013, 05:12:53 AM »
You'll probably win.  I'm gonna hold out another week and see if I have any luck next weekend.  If not then I'll order.

I hope they do get it in store, for the sake of sales, and for the more casual fans browsing the store who might not be aware it's available.  :-\
It only costs an extra buck to deliver it, so I'd rather not wait and see though.

Seriously doubting purchasing this. I had such high expectations but on the basis of what I've seen and heard so far, it all seems rather flat and lackluster to me.

I still think it's well worth the price for a new DT live DVD, even if it's less than perfect.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1795 on: November 03, 2013, 06:02:22 AM »
Having rewatched the whole thing (on Blu Ray) I can say that I feel I went in with a chip on my shoulder in regards to the wait we had and the high expectations. There ARE a few hiccups as mentioned in another thread. But overall the performances are amazing. And Sir James LaBrie is on fire all night. Bring on February!!!  :corn

Offline me7

« Reply #1796 on: November 03, 2013, 06:19:06 AM »
I found a foreign language review on Amazon that claims the stereo mix to be better than the surround one:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.de%2Freview%2FR2RQW2DERD87WU%2Fref%3Dcm_cr_dp_title%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ASIN%3DB00CIOGAX2%26channel%3Ddetail-glance%26nodeID%3D284266%26store%3Ddvd-de&sandbox=1

This alone doesn't mean much and I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet, but it would make sense to me. The PMU video released on yotube is in stereo and sounds really good. PMU wasn't part of the cinema concert so I can't compare it directly, but the songs that were shown didn't sound as good as the PMU clip and I assume that they used the surround mix.

I'd appreciate it if someone who owns it could compare the mixes and report back.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1797 on: November 03, 2013, 06:37:42 PM »

I hope they do get it in store, for the sake of sales, and for the more casual fans browsing the store who might not be aware it's available.  :-\
It only costs an extra buck to deliver it, so I'd rather not wait and see though.

I still think it's well worth the price for a new DT live DVD, even if it's less than perfect.

There's no real reason not to stock it.  DT12 got to number 12 on the aria charts (I think) so a DT DVD a month later would be great for sales.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1798 on: November 03, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »
There's no real reason not to stock it.  DT12 got to number 12 on the aria charts (I think) so a DT DVD a month later would be great for sales.

Yep, usually JB are on the ball with DT stuff. Maybe the release date listed is just a little premature for the availability of stock, and you'll see it in abundance next time you check in store. Even with being a different publisher for this DVD, it's still DT.
When I went to buy Score here, it was playing on the big screen as you walk in, and they had a small rack for it. And that was before DT even signed with RR. And they had the shelves stocked with CiM the day before their announced release date.
So hopefully they'll have this just as present with a little more time. I've already ordered, so I'll just have to play the waiting game with mine.

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #1799 on: November 04, 2013, 01:05:42 AM »
Has someone who saw the concert in the cinema already got his preorder?
I'm wondering whether the mix is the same. In the cinema the keyboard wasn't lust low, it was practically buried in the mix.

I haven't seen the theatrical version, but on the Blu-ray Disc the keyboards are indeed quite low in the mix (as is the bass, but that's just a realistic representation of DT live, right? ;D). I felt that it got better as the set went on, but there are some strange moments where the keys are taking the lead musically and the guitar is just playing some (however elaborate) backing figures, but the mix is putting the guitar way ahead of the keys (e.g., during Outcry). And The Dark Eternal Night almost sounds like a duo recording at times (all about guitar and drums).
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #1800 on: November 04, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »
So, I pre-ordered this from Amazon last Thursday (with two-day shipping), and despite being assured that it would get to me on the release day (which is tomorrow), it STILL has not shipped out yet. Anyone else having the same problem with Amazon?
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #1801 on: November 04, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »
So, I pre-ordered this from Amazon last Thursday (with two-day shipping), and despite being assured that it would get to me on the release day (which is tomorrow), it STILL has not shipped out yet. Anyone else having the same problem with Amazon?

Yup...I preordered Bluray + 3cd version. The order status changed to "Pre-ordered" about a week ago and has not changed since.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1802 on: November 04, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »

Yup...I preordered Bluray + 3cd version. The order status changed to "Pre-ordered" about a week ago and has not changed since.
Me too.  Given that I PAID extra for this, there's gonna be a problem if it's not here in 24 hours.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: November 04, 2013, 06:56:17 PM »
I found a foreign language review on Amazon that claims the stereo mix to be better than the surround one:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.de%2Freview%2FR2RQW2DERD87WU%2Fref%3Dcm_cr_dp_title%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ASIN%3DB00CIOGAX2%26channel%3Ddetail-glance%26nodeID%3D284266%26store%3Ddvd-de&sandbox=1

This alone doesn't mean much and I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet, but it would make sense to me. The PMU video released on yotube is in stereo and sounds really good. PMU wasn't part of the cinema concert so I can't compare it directly, but the songs that were shown didn't sound as good as the PMU clip and I assume that they used the surround mix.

I'd appreciate it if someone who owns it could compare the mixes and report back.
honestly, I like concerts in stereo, anyway. Much more like a real concert than surround.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1804 on: November 05, 2013, 01:15:18 AM »
!!!SPOILERS!!!!!

I´ve got it!
I have listened to some tracks and watched the (way to short) documentary.

The mix is actually better than expected (but not great). I listened to the BluRay with high quality headphones, and i can hear the keyboards fine most of the time. The biggest problem is that overall the guitars are WAAAY to loud. The bass is actually the instrument that gets most lost in the mix. Im not too sure if i like JP´s guitar-tone on this release too much. The stereo-effect he uses takes too much space in the mix, and it´s painfully dominant.

There are some mixing issues here and there that should have been fixed up.
JLB´s breathing is very audible during the intro to Spirit carries on, and the guitars are very strangely balanced in that song.
Im very disappointed that i never actually hear the Taurus-synth that JM is playing a lot of the time, and the backing vocals are some times not audible. 

The crowd is way to low in the mix. Like, during The Test That Stumped Them All, James goes: "The intro tape begins to roll" crowd goes "crickets". But you can definitely see the crowd go "YAAAAAAAY"!
The same goes for The Spirit Carries On. You can see the entire crowd singing their lungs out on the beginning, but you can barely hear them. That is a shame, and takes a lot of the live-energy out of the experience.

There are some good things about this release though:
The picture-quality looks great, and most of the time i am able to enjoy the concert despite the wierd balanced mix. The performances are stellar, and i don´t get those who feel like there is a "lack of energy" from the band itself. Everybody seems really energetic to me! Especially JP, JLB and MM.

James Labrie is on fire! Not as polished as on Score, but miles beyond Chaos in Motion. Great job!

MM is great! What a fun guy, and what a great player! Sometimes i kind of miss the MP-"feel" of songs, like on TSCO, but that is probably because im so used to hearing that song with MP.

The documentary, while too short, is kind of cool. It continues the "cheesy reality-show"-theme we´ve come to love  :P
However, it shows how much fun the guys are having, and how much of an impact MM has had on the overall chemistry within the band.
JM seems very reserved during the dinner, but for all of you who have watched the Google+-chat, you should know that he was actually sick that day.

So yeah. A fun BluRay, but sadly the mix is dragging the overall quality down.
I rank the DVDs:

Score
Scenes from New York
Budokan
Tokyo
Luna Park
5 years in a livetime
Chaos in motion

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #1805 on: November 05, 2013, 03:34:32 AM »
Somebody got it?

Live in Oslo and none stores have published it  >:(

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #1806 on: November 05, 2013, 08:54:58 AM »
Email I got from Amazon this morning:

Hello,

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on October 31, 2013:

"Live at Luna Park [Blu-ray]"

Still want it? We'll keep on trying. To keep your order for this item open, please click the link below. Otherwise, we'll cancel your order on December 05, 2013, if we haven't located it by then.

Does anybody think that Wal-Mart might actually have the Blu-ray in stock?
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline adastra

« Reply #1807 on: November 05, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
SPOILERS!!!!

My DVD Arrived  Friday 1.11. and finally I  got to watch it ! ^_^
Overall it was pretty good, but there were some things I didn't like.

Good Things:
1. JBL sounds great
2. Jordan's keysolo was nice!
3. the quality of the footage was amazing!

Bad Things:
1. It looked too colourful.. I loved the "darkness" of Live at Budokan
2. Labries breathing on The Spirit Carries On.. Someone already mentioned that.
3. The Documentary was a joke. It felt more like a "review of a documentary" . All the segments were like 5 mins long and didn't go in-depth.   I wanted  to get to hear moar from Myung than those 2 sentences :P
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1808 on: November 05, 2013, 09:06:56 AM »
SPOILERS!!!!

My DVD Arrived  Friday 1.11. and finally I  got to watch it ! ^_^
Overall it was pretty good, but there were some things I didn't like.

Good Things:
1. JBL sounds great
2. Jordan's keysolo was nice!
3. the quality of the footage was amazing!

Bad Things:
1. It looked too colourful.. I loved the "darkness" of Live at Budokan
2. Labries breathing on The Spirit Carries On.. Someone already mentioned that.
3. The Documentary was a joke. It felt more like a "review of a documentary" . All the segments were like 5 mins long and didn't go in-depth.   I wanted  to get to hear moar from Myung than those 2 sentences :P

That bothered me too when I saw it in the theater.  If they were going to overdub anything, that should have been one of the edits.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1809 on: November 05, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »
What are the actual special features?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36531.msg1583496#msg1583496

Live At Luna Park contains the 160-minute main show accompanied by a wealth of bonus material.

OK, so we have a documentary, and...?

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1810 on: November 05, 2013, 09:21:01 AM »
Look at the back cover

That's 160min + Bonus songs

Then..
Documentary
Trailer
Behind the scenes
Cartoon intro
 :metal :metal :metal :happypanda:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1811 on: November 05, 2013, 09:23:44 AM »
So, the DVD was delayed due to the "wealth" of extras which, aside from the documentary and bonus songs, were actually all finished and available on youtube several months ago?

(Assuming "behind the scenes" is the series of youtube vids we got leading up to this)

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1812 on: November 05, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »
WE HAVE AN HOUR AND 40 MINUTES OF BONUS MATERIAL TO ACCOMPANY AN OVER 3 HOUR SHOW AND PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING??!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1813 on: November 05, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »
I wanted Action Figures
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: November 05, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »
WE HAVE AN HOUR AND 40 MINUTES OF BONUS MATERIAL TO ACCOMPANY AN OVER 3 HOUR SHOW AND PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING??!!
Dude, :chill

1.) I'm not "people", I'm one person
2.) I'm not "complaining"

I'm just curious. If you remember, when the DVD was first delayed, there was a statement made that come release day, it would be "abundantly clear" why there was a need for a delay, due to a "wealth of extras" -- those aren't my words, that's what the press release said.

Anyway, almost every concert film I have has a 30-60 documentary. Plus the cartoon and the other footage was all already filmed already, with the rest of the show. Plus the trailer was also obviously done well in advance.

So, excuse me for asking, but while I'm sure the DVD's great - gonna buy it on my lunch break and watch it tonight - it's not really abundantly clear to me why there was a delay.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1815 on: November 05, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
(Assuming "behind the scenes" is the series of youtube vids we got leading up to this)

And what do you mean by this? What videos?

Offline morkie

« Reply #1816 on: November 05, 2013, 09:36:44 AM »
(I just read what I wrote below and it sounds like an absolutely hacked off fan hating his favourite band, but I honestly love them and just need to get it off my chest) :)

To be fair we were told about all those extras when it was coming out in May or there abouts, they did say it was delayed and they were going to floor us with extras and used the word 'wealth' and whatnot and I feel like this isn't it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all over this and will love it! But counting the trailer and the songs that were shot for the concert as extras is just padding it :) I would expect all the songs to be included, I admit that some bands might not do that. It's just not the 'omg wait and see guys, it'll be worth us not bringing it out in May, not communicating with you why we did that until June, then releasing it as expected anyway'. Okay that was a long fake quote.

Is it odd that it's not available digitally at all in the US though? They have links on the youtube video that go to the UK only iTunes store so you can buy the digital video. Weird that it's not for the US? And it's in Standard Def not High Def.

And you cannot buy the audio only/songs at all digitally. You *have* to buy a special edition.

Looking at the price for the Bluray only it's around $14 but the Bluray plus 3 CDs is $43 so it's essentially $30 for the concert on CD? It's a bit crazy. Most double and triple CDs these days are cheap and way less than $20 so it seems odd to see it that expensive. Hell a DVD and 3 CD pack is $48 on amazon. Seems a bit out of whack.

So I bought the bluray it'll be here any moment but I didn't foresee no digital access to the album at all. So I can't listen to the concert on my iphone unless I buy another copy of the bluray and CDs for $43? Are there options to buy CD only or songs only?

Thanks for reading my whining, that's all it is!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1817 on: November 05, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #1818 on: November 05, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
Yet another unlistenable product. At least there's no clipping I guess.

Whoever mixed this understands that the keyboard button needs to not be on (m) when finalizing the mix, right?

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: November 05, 2013, 09:55:17 AM »

Mine didn't show as shipped until this morning, and it's out for delivery for today, so it could just be a delay on Amazon's site.