Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 279319 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #1715 on: October 12, 2013, 12:04:46 AM »
 It's 2 DVDs. The basic DVD version has all of the extras, such as the additional songs, documentary stuff etc, so you're getting more than you saw in the theater.
[/quote]

Not so sure about this, Blob.  Neither Amazon or band sites actually mention "documentary, interview, or behind the scenes" footage.  This is an important selling point, so why omit it if contained in the product?  In fact, someone named MyPlay explictily comments on the bands site that those extras are not included in the Live at Luna Park edition.   

https://www.myplaydirect.com/dream-theater/live-at-luna-park/details/28909101

However, the site doesn't confirm that 2 DVD set contains the extra footage either.

I could be mistaken, or am I detecting another RR bait and switch? 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1716 on: October 12, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »
Not so sure about this, Blob.  Neither Amazon or band sites actually mention "documentary, interview, or behind the scenes" footage.  This is an important selling point, so why omit it if contained in the product?  In fact, someone named MyPlay explictily comments on the bands site that those extras are not included in the Live at Luna Park edition.   

https://www.myplaydirect.com/dream-theater/live-at-luna-park/details/28909101

However, the site doesn't confirm that 2 DVD set contains the extra footage either.

I could be mistaken, or am I detecting another RR bait and switch? 

It's not being released by RR, and I don't know what the first one was anyway.

I think it's just a case of poor communication of details. Every DVD edition includes 2 DVDs, including the basic version, correct? I assume they're not splitting the main concert across 2 discs, so I'd assume it is the concert on disc 1, and the extra songs and documentary stuff etc on disc 2. To have different versions that include 2 different sets of DVDs would be impractical and more expensive for them to produce, so I consider that unlikely.
This is all standard stuff that I wouldn't expect to be held off for a super deluxe version, especially when they are including extras such as books, CDs, mugs etc to justify the extra costs. Everything since Budokan has been 2 discs with all of the features, so it would be a step backwards to hold that off as a selling point.

I think the omission of these details on sites is a matter of them not having clear or complete information, rather than an indication that they're not being included.

Anyway, that's just my reasoning. It would be nice to have this clearly stated to avoid the confusion we've already had over versions. Until I hear it from a first party source, I'm not going to get worried about it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1717 on: October 12, 2013, 12:29:19 AM »
Oh, i was referring to the releasing of the HD tracks after the initial release of the album, which I ended up buying twice.

I'm just surprised that the band site is vague in what it is offering in its bundles.  I had to go to amazon to determine that the second dvd contains the bonus songs.  But no mention of the documentary still makes me wonder . . .

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1718 on: October 12, 2013, 12:41:58 AM »
As I said before, I think it's very unlikely any of the discs are going to be different between versions. It would cost them more to create two different second discs, one with certain extras and one without. It costs more to create and encode two sets of menus, and to stamp out different discs with different data and labels.
It wouldn't be practical, and I don't really know of any releases that do that. It's usually a case of the cheaper version only including the main disc, then the more expensive edition including the additional disc with the features.

I'm fairly confident that all DVDs will include the same features.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1719 on: October 12, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »
Hmmm, I think im going to hold off until its released and see what other people say is included in the standard dvd. I don't want to spend an extra $20 on the deluxe dvd/3 cd version if the cheapest version includes the documentary stuff. Christmas is coming up and every penny county. Andpersonally,  I dont need the dvd the day I comes out. I can wait an extra week or two to make sure im getting what I want.  But yes, it would be nice if they would offer clearer descriptions on the product choices.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1720 on: October 12, 2013, 11:48:58 PM »
In case I missed it or I'm just stupid, is there a blu-ray/CD/Book option?

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1721 on: October 13, 2013, 04:14:30 AM »
Its book/Blu/DVD/CD

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1722 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »
and here i was, all set to by the book version through amazon and save $30, but the price has jumped up to $100  :sad:
so i just said hell with it and went for the most deluxe package  :lol

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1723 on: October 14, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »
and here i was, all set to by the book version through amazon and save $30, but the price has jumped up to $100  :sad:

I told everyone to preorder it! I'm glad I have mine locked in at 66 dollars.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1724 on: October 14, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »

Got mine after the first increase at $79, so I'm still happy about saving $20, or am I?  How does this policy work if the price goes UP?

"Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)"

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #1725 on: October 14, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »
And there's my preorder of LALP complete.  I went with the Bluray/dvd/cd/book edition.  :biggrin:
All that's left for me to do now, is to wait for the mail to arrive.  :lol
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1726 on: October 14, 2013, 02:13:52 PM »

Got mine after the first increase at $79, so I'm still happy about saving $20, or am I?  How does this policy work if the price goes UP?

"Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)"

It says that because if something was a price mistake, or goes up by a huge amount, such as $100 or $200, they will notify you of the price change. However, I've never had them increase the price of anything that I have preordered, and I have definitely had stuff go up by over $50 before without them changing my price. This shouldn't be an exception.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline scythe

« Reply #1727 on: October 15, 2013, 12:38:10 AM »
trying to find a place to preorder the deluxe bundle in pal format is doing my head in. jb hifi has the bluray, but not the book. help from any aussies?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: October 15, 2013, 12:50:53 AM »
https://www.screenpop.com.au/dvd/live-at-luna-park-deluxe/4728.html
https://www.shockrecords.com.au/dvd/live-at-luna-park-deluxe/4898.html

From a Google search, these Australian sites have the Deluxe version listed as region 0 (one says imported from the UK), so if that's correct the international version might be region free. No idea how reliable the information is though, but they've done it with some past releases.

With any luck, JB Hifi might stock the deluxe version once it's released. It is odd they only have the basic DVD and Bluray versions, as they're usually pretty reliable for DT stuff. Might be worth contacting them and checking.

Offline scythe

« Reply #1729 on: October 15, 2013, 01:04:38 AM »

From a Google search, these Australian sites have the Deluxe version listed as region 0 (one says imported from the UK), so if that's correct the international version might be region free. No idea how reliable the information is though, but they've done it with some past releases.

With any luck, JB Hifi might stock the deluxe version once it's released. It is odd they only have the basic DVD and Bluray versions, as they're usually pretty reliable for DT stuff. Might be worth contacting them and checking.

appreciate the advice all the same (and i will definitely call them, cheers), but i'm talking about the video format, not the region code. the links you gave me are for the ntsc version.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1730 on: October 15, 2013, 01:13:38 AM »

appreciate the advice all the same (and i will definitely call them, cheers), but i'm talking about the video format, not the region code. the links you gave me are for the ntsc version.

Sorry. I thought the only issue was playing it in an Australian player (ie. region 4). Aside from Budokan, I don't believe DT have ever released any of their concerts/videos in PAL format, and it's fairly rare for concerts in general to be released in PAL format, because they can't do the same conversion they do for regular movies.
Usually you get NTSC format, but region free so you can still play it.

Offline scythe

« Reply #1731 on: October 15, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »
Sorry. I thought the only issue was playing it in an Australian player (ie. region 4). Aside from Budokan, I don't believe DT have ever released any of their concerts/videos in PAL format, and it's fairly rare for concerts in general to be released in PAL format, because they can't do the same conversion they do for regular movies.
Usually you get NTSC format, but region free so you can still play it.

gotcha. i was just reading up on it myself - apparently the concept of ntsc/pal/whatever doesn't even pertain to bluray. in that case, thanks a ton for the cheap find :D

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: October 15, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »
Luna Park deluxe is now 98.98 on Amazon. yikes.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1733 on: October 15, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »

Yeah, I told people to preorder! *shakes fist wildly*

Haha, seriously though, this at least practically confirms that it truly is the one with the book.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1734 on: October 15, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »

Haha, seriously though, this at least practically confirms that it truly is the one with the book.

I got mine in at 67 or whatever way back when. Hope Amazon honors that.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1735 on: October 15, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »

I got mine in at 67 or whatever way back when. Hope Amazon honors that.

I'm sure they will.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1736 on: October 15, 2013, 11:02:44 AM »
98 dollars?? Its still £33 on amazon.co.uk  ???

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1737 on: October 15, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »

I have a feeling that will change soon once Amazon UK realizes how much they should cost. This kind of pricing happens all the time with stuff that isn't hugely popular. I personally believe they start the prices low to gauge consumer interest, and then increase it as more and more people preorder it, and eventually bring it up to MSRP.

I have it preordered on Amazon UK as well, and although it says it is region locked, I have a feeling it is not. If I get any sort of confirmation that it truly is region free, I will be cancelling my Amazon USA preorder.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: October 15, 2013, 04:28:57 PM »

I have a feeling that will change soon once Amazon UK realizes how much they should cost. This kind of pricing happens all the time with stuff that isn't hugely popular. I personally believe they start the prices low to gauge consumer interest, and then increase it as more and more people preorder it, and eventually bring it up to MSRP.

I have it preordered on Amazon UK as well, and although it says it is region locked, I have a feeling it is not. If I get any sort of confirmation that it truly is region free, I will be cancelling my Amazon USA preorder.

If you find out can you PM me on that?I've got it ordered over there too.. so much cheaper. So weird.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1739 on: October 15, 2013, 05:17:28 PM »
^ I sure will!  :)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1740 on: October 16, 2013, 05:37:49 AM »
My money should clear in the account today so I will be ordering the Deluxe Book Bundle.   :tup

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1741 on: October 16, 2013, 07:09:29 AM »
I believe I know the answer but just want to clarify...

I preordered a few weeks ago, if Amazon raises it before release I will still pay at the price I preordered, correct??

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1742 on: October 16, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »

I preordered a few weeks ago, if Amazon raises it before release I will still pay at the price I preordered, correct??

:lol I'm surprised how many people are so unfamiliar with Amazon here. Yes, unless we are talking a price increase of something like $100, Amazon will almost always only charge the price at the time of preorder. I have never ever had them change the price on an order of mine.

They are a fantastic company. I had preordered the Avengers boxset, and when it was initially delayed, they sent everyone a free Avengers Bluray. Just the other day, a game got delayed which I had a promo code applied to, and they allowed me to switch the promo code to another order.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1743 on: October 16, 2013, 09:04:31 AM »
Andpersonally,  I dont need the dvd the day I comes out. I can wait an extra week or two to make sure im getting what I want.  But yes, it would be nice if they would offer clearer descriptions on the product choices.

I agree. I'm going to need to see it the store with my own eyes to see what I'm getting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1744 on: October 16, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »

:lol I'm surprised how many people are so unfamiliar with Amazon here. Yes, unless we are talking a price increase of something like $100, Amazon will almost always only charge the price at the time of preorder. I have never ever had them change the price on an order of mine.

Cheers for the clear up. I just cannot work out the reason for such a huge gap in the price.  ???

Also having read my post back I was actually asking for clarification and not clarifying myself :mehlin

Offline Bluefish1

« Reply #1745 on: October 16, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »
is no one actually looking at the site the band is using to sell LALP? its pretty clear what all the options are.
https://www.myplaydirect.com/dream-theater/deluxe-blu-ray-3-cd/details/28909250 so yeah there is a bluray/cd set, and a dvd/cd set, and the book version, or just bluray or dvd on its own.

Depending on which country you are in they have different options. The US seems to have all of them while other countries have less. For example, here is Argentina we don't have the 2 DVD/ 3 CD option which is available for the US.

This is correct.  I posted a comment on the official message board and received the following responses from DTMGMT:

"The audio is not limited to the Deluxe set. You can get the BD / CD set!"

and

"CLARIFICATION : The UK is not releasing all formats. In Europe the cd will only be available in the deluxe. But from https://www.myplaydirect.com/dream-theater you can order worldwide and get the configuration you want!"

I hope this helps.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1746 on: October 16, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
Bluefish, Welcome to DTF and great avatar!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline philmcson

« Reply #1747 on: October 17, 2013, 08:56:44 AM »
Preordered the 2 DVD set. As I don't have any trust in Croatian CD shops anymore (delaying arrival of new releases, underrepresented metal albums) I was seeking a solution which would lead to a speedy delivery with cheap shipping costs. British Amazon it is. I can't directly preorder from DT, the German Amazon has two times greater shipping costs (which I can't understand as Germany is way closer to Croatia than the UK) and the DVD per se is a few euros higher priced. Anyway, looking forward to watching the DVD ASAP.....  :metal

Offline Jinx

« Reply #1748 on: October 17, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »
Just seen that the Amazon UK listing has changed now. Deluxe edition shows pic of just blu ray. US Import pic shows the book and its priced at £109.99.  ???

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1749 on: October 17, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »
I was going to get the Blu-ray/CD version, but decided it was too expensive, and just got the Blu-ray standard edition from Amazon.ca. Can't wait to see it! I also have a copy of Live at Bucharest coming my way.