Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 278779 times)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #1400 on: June 15, 2013, 07:10:34 AM »

Give the band another 10 years and CiM will be erased from all records and memories :D
Luckily James has already ignored its existence ;D

There is actually a small chance that the band never actually told him about its existence, seeing how bad he sounded on it.  :laugh:
"Hey James come check out how the DVD sounds!"
"What the hell did you do to my voice??!"
"oh you hit one flat note in Ministry of Lost Souls so we put your performance of the concert through the "85% pitch correction" button in Garage Band."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1401 on: June 15, 2013, 07:10:56 AM »
"Before 'A Dramatic Turn of Events', I never actually listened to any of the band's music," Syme says.
I find that a bit odd, i mean i'm not expecting him to ravish their discography or that particular album but to take inspiration from their music and lyrics seems to be a pretty important factor when you designing a cover. Of course every artist have their way of approaching a project and i'm fully aware that some artist can draw inspiration from a donkey's ass and still come out with the next da vinci or something but I  still can't help wondering...
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline eosforum

« Reply #1402 on: June 15, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »
A lot of thinking and inspiration is not always necessary if the band likes the early ideas. For instance, in Train of Thought  they saw a couple pictures of an artist and then just took some of an old album of his and the result was awesome. It's taste that matters. Other than that, I would like the band members or at least JP being a producer, to give the artist their ideas and some guidance first. That would be interesting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1403 on: June 15, 2013, 07:38:04 AM »
More sincerely, I do think CiM's lack of quality is a little exaggerated. It's a neat little memento in exactly the same way Five Years in a LIVEtime was. Hardly the last word on DT DVDs, but I think its only crime at the moment is being the newest. It's unspectacular, and a little rough around the edges, but basically fine.
If you say so.

I think that 5YIAL is MUCH better than CIM. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1404 on: June 15, 2013, 08:53:13 AM »
Give the band another 10 years and CiM will be erased from all records and memories :D
Luckily James has already ignored its existence ;D

Which would have nothing to do with it not even being a full concert recording, and thus not actually being comparable in the context he was speaking about their DVDs.

No no, JLB must be on the DTF bandwagon too!
Hey, don't spoil my (and others') headcanon! :lol

But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised at all if James (or any other band member) said CIM shouldn't have been released.
"Before 'A Dramatic Turn of Events', I never actually listened to any of the band's music," Syme says.
I find that a bit odd, i mean i'm not expecting him to ravish their discography or that particular album but to take inspiration from their music and lyrics seems to be a pretty important factor when you designing a cover. Of course every artist have their way of approaching a project and i'm fully aware that some artist can draw inspiration from a donkey's ass and still come out with the next da vinci or something but I  still can't help wondering...
You should've read the post more carefully, the whole "news story" is just a joke.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1405 on: June 15, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »
You should've read the post more carefully, the whole "news story" is just a joke.
Dammit, i'm slow today!  :blush
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1406 on: June 15, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »
The CIM performances are pretty bad..but I enjoy the documentary footage. 5 Years absolutely slays it, but that goes without saying.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1407 on: June 15, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
More sincerely, I do think CiM's lack of quality is a little exaggerated. It's a neat little memento in exactly the same way Five Years in a LIVEtime was. Hardly the last word on DT DVDs, but I think its only crime at the moment is being the newest. It's unspectacular, and a little rough around the edges, but basically fine.

I agree. There was a time that I would've considered it unwatchable/unlistenable (maybe not quite that bad) but on re-watching it after some time away from it, I found I rather enjoy a lot of the performances.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: June 16, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »

This is my 1st album cover. It's a shot of us playing live. My nephew in a monster baby gro and my bro's hand taken with a scanner.

PLus we agonised for hours over the design and which font looked best etc etc

Not just " band " "monster" & "hand" searched via a stock image database with the band name at the top and the album at the bottom.

Thank you for proving my long-standing theory that originality is overrated.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1409 on: June 17, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
..but I enjoy the documentary footage.

oh, well there hasn't been two seconds of backstage/documentary/Canadian Rap footage that has ever been less than freaking awesome so of course. And let's hope it remains that way!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1410 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »
Honestly, for the most part I buy the DVDs for the behind the scenes stuff. Not just DT, all bands. I can't remember the last time I watched 5YIAL without the commentary on. Not that the footage is bad.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1411 on: June 18, 2013, 01:22:42 PM »

This is my 1st album cover. It's a shot of us playing live. My nephew in a monster baby gro and my bro's hand taken with a scanner.

Not just " band " "monster" & "hand" searched via a stock image database with the band name at the top and the album at the bottom.

Not enough clowns on unicycles for you ?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1412 on: June 18, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »

Not enough clowns on unicycles for you ?

Yes, that's it exactly.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1413 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »
Okay lets bump this up so no-one forgets about it  :smiley:

Anyway,
OTE 25th May:
"All we know is that it's done and it looks and sounds incredible. A lot of work by the band went into mixing the live audio and it is by FAR one of the best live mixes we've ever heard!"

OTE 30th May:
"In an effort to make this project as special as possible, and deliver the ultimate live experience for Dream Theater fans, these delays proved necessary. It will be abundantly clear why the extra time was needed come November."

I think we can rule out the speculative sound problems from the release. I think it probably IS packed to the brim with special features. I was watching an interview with Mike Mangini and a Norwegian guy when Mike basically said that the DVD/Blu Ray has pretty much everything on it that a fan could possibly want. In fact the intensity and excitement from the Genie in that interview got me excited for everything they've got coming up, new album, new BR and tour!!  :corn

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1414 on: July 09, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
I asked this a long time ago, but does anyone have any guess as to when they'll release the single from this DVD? Are DVD singles usually put out way early like album singles are, or is this something that usually doesn't happen until a week before the thing goes on sale, if at all?

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1415 on: July 09, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
i feel like now that the marketing for DT12 is in full swing, we wont be seeing anything from the dvd until the album drops, which sucks  :-\

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1416 on: July 09, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »
Yeah, everyone lost interest in the DVD.

I mean, we are still expecting it and everything; but it's kind of lame we're going to hear/see ADTOE live music after we get our fix of new DT music. I'm hoping it's going to be as awesome as Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize, which came after The Incident was released and it still kicked major kinds of ass.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline adastra

« Reply #1417 on: July 24, 2013, 05:53:34 AM »
 I had a dream about the Luna Park DVD last night and in the morning I realized that I had completely forgotten the whole DVD!  :eek
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: July 24, 2013, 06:17:46 AM »
I'm actually more excited for Luna Park than I am DT12, so it is a bit disappointing that there's so much silence surrounding this.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1419 on: July 24, 2013, 06:24:35 AM »
I'm actually more excited for Luna Park than I am DT12, so it is a bit disappointing that there's so much silence surrounding this.

I'm pretty excited about it too ( now that I remember it again  :D)
They really failed with this release. First they build up the hype around the release and after that months of nothing.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1420 on: July 24, 2013, 06:43:55 AM »

About equal for me, I love almost every song from ADTOE so am REALLY excited to hear how they sound in a live setting with properly loud drums, and to see Mangini go nuts - but I'm not crazy about the rest of the set list . . so I'm equally pumped for DT12, especially Illumination Theory.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1421 on: July 24, 2013, 07:12:47 AM »
I asked this a long time ago, but does anyone have any guess as to when they'll release the single from this DVD? Are DVD singles usually put out way early like album singles are, or is this something that usually doesn't happen until a week before the thing goes on sale, if at all?
What are you talking about?  DVD single?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1422 on: July 24, 2013, 07:56:15 AM »
I believe what he meant was that bands usually upload the footage of one song (or more) off the DVD before it hits the stores to promote it. Which even technically makes it a sort of a single, except no one calls 'em "DVD singles", but Atliator is 15 and can't possibly know everything :tup

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1423 on: July 24, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »
I believe what he meant was that bands usually upload the footage of one song (or more) off the DVD before it hits the stores to promote it. Which even technically makes it a sort of a single, except no one calls 'em "DVD singles", but Atliator is 15 and can't possibly know everything :tup

Yeah, like Britney Spears  :lol

Jk, Atliator. You seem pretty cool.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1424 on: July 24, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »
 :rollin you got me there!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1425 on: July 24, 2013, 09:29:19 AM »
They should release On the Backs of Angels from this DVD, to make fans expect this as much as DT12. That way, we get the new album in September but fans can go like OMG in 1 month we're getting a live DVD as well!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1426 on: July 24, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
They should release On the Backs of Angels from this DVD, to make fans expect this as much as DT12. That way, we get the new album in September but fans can go like OMG in 1 month we're getting a live DVD as well!

I'm down
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1427 on: July 24, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »
I don't remember DT doing that with any previous DVDs.  Of course, I'm old and possibly remember everything.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1428 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure they were showing IWBY from Score around the DVD's release.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1429 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
I want to say (off the top of my head) that Forsaken was released from Chaos in Motion early.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1430 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:46 AM »
I don't remember DT doing that with any previous DVDs.  Of course, I'm old and possibly remember everything.

That's a good indicator that you don't remember everything. ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1431 on: July 24, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure they were showing IWBY from Score around the DVD's release.

I remember this clearly. I can't recall for any other DVD though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1432 on: July 24, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
Yea I was thinking Forsaken..

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1433 on: July 24, 2013, 09:37:16 AM »
Yea I was thinking Forsaken..
Perhaps.  I've blotted out most memory of that DVD.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1434 on: July 24, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
Good for you. Unfortunately I'm still Scarred