Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 279057 times)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #1225 on: May 30, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »
Just going to chime in and say I'm a little disappointed that the new concert experience won't be here sooner, but I'm only a little disappointed. I could really care less how long it takes as long as they get it right. I'm fine with a November release date. I'm kind of excited for all of the DT craziness to be happening this fall! It should make for some fun times at DTF come September through until the end of the year! :tup
May The Force Be With You.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1226 on: May 30, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »
Jordan's explorations thing is cool, but he obviously had to have seen all the people asking him for information on the DVD on his facebook, and I think it would have been easy for him to just settle the issue with a tweet or two.
Except he did answer (the same answer JP gave us, "the DVD is coming along, be patient") in a tweet once, and IIRC the original tweet that started this "twitter convo" (okay I swear I actually know how Twitter works please bear with me) was one about Explorations/Explores.

What she said.

As for the happy/disappointed debate, I'm definitely happy that we finally have a release date. Of course I would have liked better a closer  date, but time passes quite faster than we tend to believe. I am only slightly concerned with the sound issue. I hope there won't be any permanent "scarring" on the recording, like sub-par sound quality or completely re-recorded vocals.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1227 on: May 30, 2013, 03:55:24 PM »
Yeah, just think of the trouble they would've go through when the sound wasn't even recorded properly that night. I mean, it would be a beginners mistake, but it could happen. Especially trouble with output levels etc. is killing, every note would be distorted, and you'd have to rerecord abberything.
But I'm guessing the issue wasn't that big, or they would've been more cautious with giving dates from the get-go.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: May 30, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »
But WAIT A MOMENT. What about this status update? https://www.facebook.com/rich.chycki/posts/508354909208558

Chycki took care of the mixing of the audio stram for the DVD. Unless by "can" he meant "trash can" I don't see how these two seemingly opposite bits of information fit together.
- Marco

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1229 on: May 30, 2013, 04:02:54 PM »
Great point! Only explanation left is that it has to do with some extra documentary or something.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: May 30, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »
But WAIT A MOMENT. What about this status update? https://www.facebook.com/rich.chycki/posts/508354909208558

Chycki took care of the mixing of the audio stram for the DVD. Unless by "can" he meant "trash can" I don't see how these two seemingly opposite bits of information fit together.

Chycki may not have been taking care of the 5.1 mix which could have run into a snag when the prototype Bluray's were burned. You know how 5.1 can have decoding challenges on different machines. The point is; it could almost be anything. Perhaps one day they will tell us(?).
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline JPX

« Reply #1231 on: May 30, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
Just going to chime in and say I'm a little disappointed that the new concert experience won't be here sooner, but I'm only a little disappointed. I could really care less how long it takes as long as they get it right. I'm fine with a November release date. I'm kind of excited for all of the DT craziness to be happening this fall!

Personally I'm going to be way more concerned about the PS4/Xbox1 releases come Fall/Xmas than any DT DVD - but one good thing about this delay is that I'll finally have a BluRay player on one of those systems so I guess I can finally take advantage of seeing DT in BR.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1232 on: May 30, 2013, 05:22:51 PM »
Just going to chime in and say I'm a little disappointed that the new concert experience won't be here sooner, but I'm only a little disappointed. I could really care less how long it takes as long as they get it right. I'm fine with a November release date. I'm kind of excited for all of the DT craziness to be happening this fall!

Personally I'm going to be way more concerned about the PS4/Xbox1 releases come Fall/Xmas than any DT DVD - but one good thing about this delay is that I'll finally have a BluRay player on one of those systems so I guess I can finally take advantage of seeing DT in BR.

It is a huuuuuge difference! You will be so amazed. I'm a PlayStation person myself, so looking forward to the PS4.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline JPX

« Reply #1233 on: May 30, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »

It is a huuuuuge difference! You will be so amazed. I'm a PlayStation person myself, so looking forward to the PS4.

I'm an Xbox 360 user currently but after seeing the One reveal I'm toally going with the PS4. I don't buy movies but it will be nice to get a chance to use it for this DT release.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: May 31, 2013, 12:17:42 AM »

Chycki may not have been taking care of the 5.1 mix which could have run into a snag when the prototype Bluray's were burned. You know how 5.1 can have decoding challenges on different machines. The point is; it could almost be anything. Perhaps one day they will tell us(?).

I don't think that's the case. One of the reasons the band hired him is most likely the work he did remastering a few Rush albums in 5.1, it wouldn't make sense not to have him for that.
- Marco

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1235 on: May 31, 2013, 03:18:46 AM »
At first I was disappointed when I heard about the new release date after all this time with no updates at all. Then I took my time to think about it, and my final thought is: whatever. These guys wrote most of the soundtrack of my life. They deserve my faith and much more. So yes, I can live with that.

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #1236 on: May 31, 2013, 03:27:11 AM »
Yeah well, it's not like the delay will make the experience of watching and listening to LALP any less awesome. Of course I would have rather seen that it was released in May the way they originally planned but in the end it's not such a big deal to me. The only thing that will feel a bit weird is that a live Blu-ray released well after the release of the latest album won't feature any music from that album.

Offline mocool13

« Reply #1237 on: May 31, 2013, 04:30:00 AM »
I just don't understand how you guys think that that was actually JP's wife in the comments section of this article.
https://destroyerofharmony.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/dream-theater-why-the-silence-on-the-live-at-luna-park-dvd-release/

Any person can put whatever name they choose when they comment and for all we know someone put JP's wife's name just to mess with the internet. For now I don't consider it credible unless she or the band somehow officially respond.

And although the DVD is far away it's better to have a release date already than knowing nothing

Online krands85

« Reply #1238 on: May 31, 2013, 05:14:11 AM »
At first I was disappointed when I heard about the new release date after all this time with no updates at all. Then I took my time to think about it, and my final thought is: whatever. These guys wrote most of the soundtrack of my life. They deserve my faith and much more. So yes, I can live with that.
This.

The only thing I'm worried about now is if it has any effect on the release of the new album. Hopefully not.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1239 on: May 31, 2013, 05:39:25 AM »
Shouldn't the book and iTunes video be added to the fact finder?  I don't remember hearing about those items before.  Pretty cool that they were added.  Anyone want to speculate on the details of these items? (I actually enjoy reading everyone's ideas about stuff we don't know, humorous and sometimes thought provoking :biggrin: )

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: May 31, 2013, 06:48:19 AM »

I don't think that's the case. One of the reasons the band hired him is most likely the work he did remastering a few Rush albums in 5.1, it wouldn't make sense not to have him for that.

Cool! I know nearly nothing about Mr. Chycki's resume so I'm pleased to be guided by you... wait... what! That didn't come out quite right..
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline dodido253

« Reply #1241 on: May 31, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1242 on: May 31, 2013, 07:07:57 AM »
That's classic.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: May 31, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »
 :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1244 on: May 31, 2013, 07:15:41 AM »
 :rollin

This needs to be shared as much as possible LOL.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1245 on: May 31, 2013, 07:18:18 AM »
:clap:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: May 31, 2013, 07:19:20 AM »
Pouring gold.  :tup :hefdaddy :clap:
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1247 on: May 31, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
Well done :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1248 on: May 31, 2013, 07:23:32 AM »
Fantastic job.  :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: May 31, 2013, 07:31:38 AM »
 :clap:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1250 on: May 31, 2013, 07:33:44 AM »
 :lol :rollin :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1251 on: May 31, 2013, 07:49:19 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1252 on: May 31, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »
I laughed like them when I saw that.  I think this is one of the best ones :lol :lol :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: May 31, 2013, 07:58:35 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: May 31, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »
I'm gonna name that crying girl " Dawn ".

Because the smile of Dawn was gone by late May .

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1256 on: May 31, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »
:rollin Excellent pic.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: May 31, 2013, 08:51:09 AM »
Yes. And for once I cannot think of anything :p

Zydar has already used the crying girl meme. :zydar:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: May 31, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
Come November - everyone will be like :

" Wow the DVD Is out - that wait was nothing - remember when we were freaking out at how long we'd have to wait ? "

;D

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1259 on: May 31, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
I believe this has more to do with projected sales than anything else - and that does not bother me, I hope they make millions.  There probably were tech issues that delayed the original release date, but that put the DVD release within too close a window with the CD release.  If the release of the DVD were pushed too close to the release of the CD, both would probably take a hit in sales.  However, November is close enough to Christmas, that folks always find a little extra cash and justify a purchase they would not normally make or a purchase for gift giving.

Again, this is DT's livelihood, they should make their decisions based on revenue first but being careful not to fully alienate a loyal fanbase.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:27:43 AM by AngelBack »
But the arc of your life will still be profound