Author Topic: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD  (Read 279071 times)

Offline JPX

Re: DREAM THEATER RELEASES TRAILER FOR NEW DVD, BLU-RAY, CD
« Reply #1190 on: May 30, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
How do we know she's talking about JP? o.O

hahaha

Well the post sounds somewhat defensive and it would make sense that she would back her husband if there was a situation. Why would she be referring to John Myung or any other John?!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1192 on: May 30, 2013, 12:14:31 PM »
That post sounded really harsh. They're saying DT hasn't been connecting with the fans because of a lack of updates on the live release, even though they've been fairly consistently updating us on the new album.

Anyway, the delay is disappointing, but I'm sure it's for the better.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1194 on: May 30, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »
What does the "and there would be no sound if John left" mean?
Maybe a Beatles joke?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: May 30, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »
https://destroyerofharmony.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/dream-theater-why-the-silence-on-the-live-at-luna-park-dvd-release/

Wow. That dude is really mad.

What does the "and there would be no sound if John left" mean?
Maybe a Beatles joke?

I think it's a reference to the last line on the article Labrie1984 just posted.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1196 on: May 30, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »
Rena Petrucci (aka Yoko) says:
May 30, 2013 at 1:53 am
It will be out before Christmas. Ha ha ha I’m gonna get in big trouble. (Delays due to sound quality issues) and there would be no sound if John left.
Where is this? Link, citation, etc.

Also, how is she Yoko? We like Rena!

:|

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: May 30, 2013, 12:28:15 PM »
Once again: i don't really get what's the big deal about this delay. It took a year and a month to SFNY to be released (recorded in august 30 2000 it came out, you know, That day). LALP will take just a month more than SFNY. It's the lack of fb posts, tweets the real problem? C'mon!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1198 on: May 30, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
Once again: i don't really get what's the big deal about this delay. It took a year and a month to SFNY to be released (recorded in august 30 2000 it came out, you know, That day). LALP will take just a month more than SFNY. It's the lack of fb posts, tweets the real problem? C'mon!

:tup
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline JPX

« Reply #1199 on: May 30, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »
https://destroyerofharmony.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/dream-theater-why-the-silence-on-the-live-at-luna-park-dvd-release/

Even though the DVD will be cool and all, I really dont care too much about it. Being at the live shows is infinitely better so I really don't care if they ever release the DVD. I prefer the audio commentary anyway because at least it's new content.

Mike gives way too many updates anyway. I just follow JP on Facebook and it's perfectly sufficient for me.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1200 on: May 30, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »

Oh, I know.  It just sounds like a lot of the delay is out of the band's hands, except for the sound issues Rena mentioned.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1201 on: May 30, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
The most ridiculous part is that people are complaining the delay (which indeed is pretty big and disappointing) is due to a lack of the band's care for the fans.. but the reason it's taking so long is because they are filling the freaking thing up with so much EXTRA stuff for us to see!

I mean most bands have a 2 hour show with maybe 20 minutes behind the scenes. Our guys are giving us at least an extra 2 hours in comparison to most DVDs.

I don't like the delay, but I would NEVER EVER blame it on the band's disinterest in their fans.. I mean they would make just as much cash, and make it sooner, if they released it right now. But instead they're choosing to give us the greatest live DVD the world has seen.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1202 on: May 30, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »
Really disappointing that they have to delay it so much.

Hopefully we will get a live album and not an overdubbed one, this quote about the sound quality really worries me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1203 on: May 30, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »
The most ridiculous part is that people are complaining the delay (which indeed is pretty big and disappointing) is due to a lack of the band's care for the fans.. but the reason it's taking so long is because they are filling the freaking thing up with so much EXTRA stuff for us to see!

I mean most bands have a 2 hour show with maybe 20 minutes behind the scenes. Our guys are giving us at least an extra 2 hours in comparison to most DVDs.

I don't like the delay, but I would NEVER EVER blame it on the band's disinterest in their fans.. I mean they would make just as much cash, and make it sooner, if they released it right now. But instead they're choosing to give us the greatest live DVD the world has seen.

Yeah, It's 2 DVD's, or 1 bluray. I'm guessing they filled up a blurays worth of extras that will be on disc 2 of the DVD versions.

I am excited like everyone else, but damn have some patience people.

Edit: I also just realized, maybe the reason is they had to do commentary for it, and it just happened to take longer than expected to put it on there...maybe.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1204 on: May 30, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: May 30, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »

Oh, I know.  It just sounds like a lot of the delay is out of the band's hands, except for the sound issues Rena mentioned.

Also LSFNY suffered from some technical issues that were out of the band's hands, like some synchronizations problems that forced the band to postpone the release from feb 26 to march 30 to april 24 (and that day came out only the NTSC version of it, both DVD and VHS) and the PAL version of it went out only in september 2000.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1206 on: May 30, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »
This guy poses the question what if JP left and not MP.

Maybe THAT is why Rena closed her post the way she did.
Yeah, it very probably is. If JP left, there would be no band. No one would want to go on, and JP would never leave himself. If there is one single member that is a crucial part of DT, it's JP. End of story.

Apart from that horrible question, the rest of the entry was awful and I don't think that guy deserved a response, since he's gotten the facts wrong: we got DVD updates (well, non-updates, but they did comment on it) from three DT members. And Mike was in the band a full year post-Black Clouds, they had plenty of time to do film DVD then, so it's 1/5 his responsibility that the "we always got a DVD release after each album and tour cycle"-point isn't true.

The delay is disappointing but expected. I just hope this means DT12 is on for September.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1207 on: May 30, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
I just hope this means DT12 is on for September.

I can't see why not. The album and DVD are completely separate projects. And Petrucci's tweet yesterday saying the vocals are all done is a good sign that things are running full steam ahead with the album.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1208 on: May 30, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »
Well, I am seriously disappointed, but I understand (sort of, because didn't someone from OTE say they had the first Bluray at home and it was awesome???).

Welp, glad I have the SDOIT record and the upcoming DT album to keep me satisfied.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: May 30, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »

I'm not sure anyone ever said that the DT were disinterested in their fans because of this delay, but more because of the fact that they weren't saying anything about it. It's OK if they need to delay it but it's good to at least know why that is happening and it's good if they actually admit there is a delay.
The reason we knew there was a delay was because the sites that had it for pre-order suddenly stopped having it available and it took DT a couple of weeks to post something on Facebook stating that there officially was a delay.
And of course they are not obliged at all to say anything if they don't feel like it but when MP left they said they would take the torch and continue to communicate with fans which is happening but not in the level that some people would expect.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1210 on: May 30, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
In related news, the world kept existing and life continues to go on.

No big deal.

Agreed.  It is unfortunate that its release is being delayed so long, but all will be well.  :tup :tup

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1211 on: May 30, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »

I'm not sure anyone ever said that the DT were disinterested in their fans because of this delay, but more because of the fact that they weren't saying anything about it. It's OK if they need to delay it but it's good to at least know why that is happening and it's good if they actually admit there is a delay.
The reason we knew there was a delay was because the sites that had it for pre-order suddenly stopped having it available and it took DT a couple of weeks to post something on Facebook stating that there officially was a delay.
And of course they are not obliged at all to say anything if they don't feel like it but when MP left they said they would take the torch and continue to communicate with fans which is happening but not in the level that some people would expect.

That's true, Mike might have communicated earlier that it would be closer to the end of the year, but my point is that I hope people see they haven't lost touch with their fan base. Maybe no one is saying that, so ok.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1212 on: May 30, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
Yeah, it very probably is. If JP left, there would be no band. No one would want to go on, and JP would never leave himself. If there is one single member that is a crucial part of DT, it's JP. End of story.
I feel like a lot of people would have said that about Mike on September 7, 2010...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1214 on: May 30, 2013, 02:08:19 PM »

Pissed-off MP fanboy much?

Sounds like it.  Some of his points are valid, but comments like, "At least when Portnoy was in the band, we always got a DVD release after each album and tour cycle, then the Ytse Jam releases would come out and then the new album would come out" (which is factually INCORRECT), really make him sound like nothing more than a pissed fanboy. 

And I am someone who thinks the band should have been more forthcoming with said info - if they had time to do those 40-second youtube things where they answered predictable questions with predictable answers, then they had time to update fans on the DVD on more of a regular basis - but that guy went way over the top with it.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1215 on: May 30, 2013, 02:13:05 PM »
Seems I'm in the minority in thinking of simply being happy to have a release date for this. Not disappointed in the slightest. I understand it takes quite a bit of time and effort to arrange for something like this to be released properly. I'm not going to complain and be an ungrateful ass by knocking the band or the production company simply because I'm impatient. The band and production company have done plenty to keep their fans informed about its progress. More so than a lot of other bands would have done.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1216 on: May 30, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
I feel like a lot of people would have said that about Mike on September 7, 2010...
People would have said that about MP because they like him (I should say liked him, as most people have lost a lot of respect for the man). He was a very funny, energetic, likable guy to have in the band.  But MP has NEVER been a crucial member of DT. Everyone knows that John Petrucci is and has always been the MAIN writer for Dream Theater and he's the reason why DT's 'sound' sounds the way it does. Maybe MP pushed DT in a more metal direction (which, for the most part, is fine by me), but he didn't write the riffs. He didn't write any music. Yeah, he wrote lyrics here and there, and some lyrics were REALLY good. But John Petrucci is the main writer in this band, with JR being an extremely close second, and JMX being third. I'm pretty sure most people here would agree with me.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1217 on: May 30, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »
110%
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1218 on: May 30, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »
Seems I'm in the minority in thinking of simply being happy to have a release date for this. Not disappointed in the slightest. I understand it takes quite a bit of time and effort to arrange for something like this to be released properly. I'm not going to complain and be an ungrateful ass by knocking the band or the production company simply because I'm impatient. The band and production company have done plenty to keep their fans informed about its progress. More so than a lot of other bands would have done.

That is probably true.  But I think it goes without saying that a lot of fans were very spoiled by the frequency of updates Portnoy used to give fans, so they are comparing the current way not to other bands, but to the way it used to be with Dream Theater.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1219 on: May 30, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »
If there is one single member that is a crucial part of DT, it's JP. End of story.
True, JP is the most important member, although I don't see them carrying on without LaBrie either.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: May 30, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
I agree with the pissed-off fanboy comments about this, too, but I will say I agree with the point about the Rudess project. When your entire fanbase is being annoying on social media beggining for information about a DVD that's supposed to be released this month and shows no signs of actually coming out, it's kinda bad business practice to keep trying to market another product to them while ignoring the complaint. Jordan's explorations thing is cool, but he obviously had to have seen all the people asking him for information on the DVD on his facebook, and I think it would have been easy for him to just settle the issue with a tweet or two.

It's kinda like when you go to the Verizon store and you ask them about an issue you have with your current phone, and instead of listening to you they just ignore it and try and sell you an iPad.

Not that the fans SHOULD be so annoyed, but hopefully you guys get what I'm saying.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1221 on: May 30, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »
Frankly, I'm in the same minority.

I've not been edge-of-my-seat excited about the release for a long time. DVD's coming - cool. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Haven't been too bothered when, but it's nice after so much milling around to finally have a date.

They weren't, realistically, going to release it too close to DT12, anyway. I'm sure that's half the rationale. Getting dangerously close, don't want to be releasing mixed messages or spreading the DT-buck too thin. New music's the priority. When Luna Park comes out, it's gonna be a treat, but there's no rush. No news was a little fidgetty - confirmation is relaxing. Not the perfect confirmation, but a pretty good one. Plus, if they do belay the DT12 tour until 2014 as JP suggested, it's gonna sell a lot of tickets. First stop - everyone's living room! Next stop, I dunno, Oslo?

15 months does sound like a long time from shoot to street, but I just plain can't bring myself to be annoyed! It's a decent news day.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1222 on: May 30, 2013, 03:16:14 PM »
Frankly, I'm in the same minority.

I've not been edge-of-my-seat excited about the release for a long time. DVD's coming - cool. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Haven't been too bothered when, but it's nice after so much milling around to finally have a date.

They weren't, realistically, going to release it too close to DT12, anyway. I'm sure that's half the rationale. Getting dangerously close, don't want to be releasing mixed messages or spreading the DT-buck too thin. New music's the priority. When Luna Park comes out, it's gonna be a treat, but there's no rush. No news was a little fidgetty - confirmation is relaxing. Not the perfect confirmation, but a pretty good one. Plus, if they do belay the DT12 tour until 2014 as JP suggested, it's gonna sell a lot of tickets. First stop - everyone's living room! Next stop, I dunno, Oslo?

15 months does sound like a long time from shoot to street, but I just plain can't bring myself to be annoyed! It's a decent news day.

If it the DVD was released July and DT12 releases in September, then that would be the same amount of time as September to November, wouldn't it?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: May 30, 2013, 03:27:45 PM »
I think it is great news to have an established date no matter how far in the future. But then I'm older and November doesn't seem that far away to me.

Just to add to the speculation...perhaps they believe they have something really special on their hands and wish to release the DVD closer to the January Grammys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Long_Form_Music_Video

:)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1224 on: May 30, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »
Jordan's explorations thing is cool, but he obviously had to have seen all the people asking him for information on the DVD on his facebook, and I think it would have been easy for him to just settle the issue with a tweet or two.
Except he did answer (the same answer JP gave us, "the DVD is coming along, be patient") in a tweet once, and IIRC the original tweet that started this "twitter convo" (okay I swear I actually know how Twitter works please bear with me) was one about Explorations/Explores.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise